Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Trade Luongo asap........

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Trade deadline less than 1 month away.

He (Lou) was the only reason we got a point last night. Team played like shite..(since boston game) clearly this team needs some help on the back end... Now is our window for a cup. No point in holding 2 #1 goalies.. something's gotta give here and i hope its done before the deadline. Everyone around us is getting better.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trading Schneider is not the answer, he's needed during a playoffs run when Luongo gets ants in his pants
Trading Luongo is not an option due to his contract.

I really feel like Mason Raymond IS going to be traded, and Jordan Schroeder is a piece that could be on the move also.

The Canucks 2 Priorities should be (imho) getting a top 4 calibre defenseman so you can scale back your minutes for Salo to leave him where he's most effective, playing 12-18 minutes a night and carrying the load on PP and PK. This will also effectively bump Aaron Rome AND Andrew Alberts to the pressbox where they both belong. That last goal by Detroit last night was all Rome and their Second goal (IIRC) came off of a failed play by Rome on the wall in a puck battle. These defenseman don't come cheap- see Keith Ballard and his contract for Michael Graber (I still say we traded the wrong speedster and should have moved Raymond)

The second priority should be (if possible) to add a second or third line winger who is a space creator, someone like a Paul Gaustad. Gaustad can also play Wing and Buffalo is in need of a shakeup. I'd do something with Mason Raymond and perhaps a draft pick and perhaps even one of our depth defensemen for Gaustad and one of their Dmen, overpay a little and add a 6'5 guy weighing in at 220 who can take faceoffs and play the wing and create space for Hodgson and Hansen and keep defensemen honest.

The Canucks have to walk a fine line between sacrificing their overall team speed for a little bit more physical presence. Burrows, Hansen, etc can all hit etc but they're never going to knock a strong bigger defenseman off of a puck. Stuart, White, Kronwall etc all were never or rarely forced into bad decisions with the puck deep in their own zone.

I don't think fighting etc is something needing addressing myself. You're rarely ever going to see that in the playoffs anyways.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Question...I wonder if the other big cities that have big goalies like us are having the same issue with their goalies? It's unreal how many people would want to trade Lou as he is suppose to be our #1 goalie. This is the problem when you pay a guy this kind of money and he doesn't perform all the time you want answers and Lou doesn't give them! I'm not talking about last night as he played fairly well but when he plays poorly he needs to say "Sorry guys I played poorly". I would gladly respect him more and cheer unconditionally if he'd ever do this but I guess it's just not in his character?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you want to trade for Bryzgalov (however you spell it) He openly abmitted he is playing like crap a while back. I believe his words were something to the effect of I can't stop anything and I have no confidence. Captain does that make you feel better with your high priced, long term goalie contract?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
im not saying trade lou but its redundant to have a good goalie sitting on the bench for 70% of the season. If the right deal comes along you have to take it.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No You don't HAVE to take it.

You need to pile up points to make the playoffs and hopefully do so having as much home ice as possible.

Look at the teams of recent memory who've won the cup and how many league games their starters played in.
1. Tim Thomas '10/'11 57 of 82 games
2. Niemi (39 gp) / Huet (48 gp) '09/'10
3. Fleury (62 gp of 82) '08/'09
4. Osgood (43) Hasek (41) '07/'08
5. Giguere (56 gp) '06/'07

The other thing to note here is that in each of the 5 last Cup Winners, except for the Penguins, where Dany Sabourin was the backup, the Cup Winner has had a goalie that is either destined to be a starter elsewhere or had been a starter somewhere else in his career. (Bryzgalov for Giggy in '06/'07) (Rask for Thomas last year)

Let's not let the facts stand in the way of a good story though...

**edit: Sabourin wasn't on the Pens roster come playoff time, Mathieu Garon was, and he was picked up at the deadline as additional insurance in net for the Pens, and he had been a starting goalie in the NHL, for the Kings in 05/06 and shared duties in Edmonton in 07/08 with Roloson (He actually played more games than Roloson that year) which further cements my point. :wa:

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the Canucks would be wise to keep their $900,000 insurance policy. They probably will have to look at offers in the offseason depending on what happens this year in the playoffs and what Schneider wants for salary and if he demands to be a starter.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looking at Johnny's list Hasek is the most consistant goalie on the list but he had his ups and downs in his career and lost his job to Osgood that year. Of course Thomas has been consistant ever since he turned 35 or 36, if you forget about the year before he won the cup... you know the year he lost his job to Rask. Anyway two is better than one just ask any guy who had a threesome.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
STD you're sharing the same opinion as me.

I love the guys that have us trading Raymond and Schneider and a first rounder to the Preds for Weber. This isn't NHL12 on Xbox, this is the NHL.

Schneider is an RFA at the end of this season. Depending on his salary demands... you could compare him currently to Tuuka Rask (1.5 Mil this year) Crawford (3.25 this year) Mason (2.1 this year) and not one of those guys I'd take over Schenider except maybe Rask.

If he's asking for something that will block the Canucks from making a decent Free Agent acquistion, like say Signing Ryan Suter, then you have to trade him.

The Nucks have 3 RFA's this year: Raymond (Who I honestly see in another teams sweater by the deadline) Weise and Schneider. The UFA's are Salo (Who will either retire or come back at less money again) Rome & Sulzer (Who cares when you have Tanev and Connaughton in the AHL ready to jump full time) and Vol[atti, Pinnizoto and Ebbet. This team's "Window" extends through to next year with the core pieces in place for a while yet, The closest thing to core guys coming up as UFA's in the future are Burrows and Edler in '13/'14.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0