Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Trade Luongo asap........

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was, I was just repeating what Bobby Lou text'd me - he wants traded if this keeps up.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks D has to really get over this lets all collapse into the crease. Plus as a team that is supposed to be contending for the President's trophy why are they all (including the Sedins) sitting on the bench laughing it up before the shootout?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Bieksa was scratched today, the final would have been 2-1 Canucks.

Luongo got them the 2 points.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I rate Bieksa ahead of Salo now, only because Salo is old as balls... Salo in his prime > Bieksa.

As for the collapsing into the crease, that's AV's MO for his team defense, it is far from "fundamental" he has little to no end zone coverage on other team's dmen manning points, his centre is often roaming about the slot and the wingers assist the puck battles hash marks down. This allows for quicker breakouts to counterattack and to borrow a soccer term, also build out of the back without having one player too far up ice. I don't like it myself as it is sort of "bend but don't break" I'd rather the C help the D in the corners to break the puck out with wingers up high covering the pointmen allowing two players forward on quick breakouts... perhaps when Lu was struggling early this year, especially with rebound control, the Nucks really went full press with this "Collapsing Strategy"

Regs, you are right: Hamhuis is what has elevated Bieksa's play defensively, but a LOT of other players become better when different guys are playing with them. See Burrows with Sedins, Ballard with Tanev and Kesler with Higgins.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow I am baffled at Bieksa being rated a better d-man then Salo. Yes Bieksa has some upside, obviously his offensive side and edge to his game. However the sign of really good players is they make others better. Bieksa doesn't do that, Hamhuis does. Look at Bieksa in the finals without Hamhuis, he was a complete disaster. He makes more mistakes then Ballard but has Hamhuis covering him and quite honestly has gotten pretty lucky that the mistakes didn't get punished many times this season. I like Bieksa, I really do but people in the game, in the know, know how great a player Salo is.
Salo makes everyone better, he is steady and doesn't make many mistakes. There is a reason the Sedins call him the best d-man on the team. A top D-man should make others better, like Lidstrom has made other average d-mans careers. Going from - players to +30. Salo doesn't get the top top minutes because he is old and they want him healthy for the playoffs.
As for Burrows there is a reason he gets 2 million. He is a 2 million dollar player at best without the Sedins, he knows it so does every other team. Yes he fits with them like a glove and good on him for having the hockey IQ to figure out what works with them. However they are not average without him. He is without them.
As for Kesler, Higgins wins puck battles and gets him the puck of course that helps his game. Kesler is called the helicopter line because he has no wings. Well actually he has no vision, he puts his head down and releases a snap shot. Great defense player and individual offensive player but I would hate and I mean hate playing on a line with him. He is no Gretzky out there and it is amazing how good he is after being diagnosed with no periferal vision

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow I am baffled at Bieksa being rated a better d-man then Salo. Yes Bieksa has some upside, obviously his offensive side and edge to his game. However the sign of really good players is they make others better. Bieksa doesn't do that, Hamhuis does. Look at Bieksa in the finals without Hamhuis, he was a complete disaster. He makes more mistakes then Ballard but has Hamhuis covering him and quite honestly has gotten pretty lucky that the mistakes didn't get punished many times this season. I like Bieksa, I really do but people in the game, in the know, know how great a player Salo is.
Salo makes everyone better, he is steady and doesn't make many mistakes. There is a reason the Sedins call him the best d-man on the team. A top D-man should make others better, like Lidstrom has made other average d-mans careers. Going from - players to +30. Salo doesn't get the top top minutes because he is old and they want him healthy for the playoffs.
As for Burrows there is a reason he gets 2 million. He is a 2 million dollar player at best without the Sedins, he knows it so does every other team. Yes he fits with them like a glove and good on him for having the hockey IQ to figure out what works with them. However they are not average without him. He is without them.
As for Kesler, Higgins wins puck battles and gets him the puck of course that helps his game. Kesler is called the helicopter line because he has no wings. Well actually he has no vision, he puts his head down and releases a snap shot. Great defense player and individual offensive player but I would hate and I mean hate playing on a line with him. He is no Gretzky out there and it is amazing how good he is after being diagnosed with no periferal vision

Ummm...yes to everything here.

How good is Salo? Well, the biggest difference between he and Lidstrom is durability. Lidstrom has obviously been able to maintain a high level of fitness, durability, and flexibility through his career; Salo, not.
Salo is as old now as he was 10 years ago…back then a 27 year old with the internal operating body of a 50 year old. Same applies now (I think he’s 37 now, yes?). He’s still that player w/ a 50 year old body. He really hasn’t aged in 10 years, but his actual game has done nothing but improve through maturity. Anyone even notice how Salo comes back from these freakish injuries and doesn’t miss a beat? It’s because his game just doesn’t require him to be a physical specimen. He plays an incredibly intelligent game, and it doesn’t hurt that he has a cannon for good measure.

As for Kessler, yes. I’d love to see Cody Hodgson centre a line w/ Kessler and Higgens on the sides. I think that’d be a better second line than what we have now.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0