Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Civic Strike(s)...

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Waiting on robj's intelligent reply. Something to the tune of "we're not going anywhere so get used to it" I presume?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Such paranoia from both sides of the coin.

Any of you ever try to do the same job (or type of job) as both a unionized and non-unionized employee? I have. The majority of unionized workers I have worked with are honest people who cared more about the quality of work they were doing than bothering about having any political agenda. The thing that got me was those who were political on both sides of the labour/management fence, and the distrust they deliberately stirred up against each other. It poisoned the workplace I was in, and made it impossible to do my job the way I needed to do it: efficiently and with human decency.

What kills us all is not the fact that a workplace is unionized or not, but the polarization caused by ideologies like these.

Yes, we still need unions for the original reasons that the ones we have were founded in the first place, but not for the majority of people who belong to them. We don't need unions for skilled trades workers or teachers anymore. We don't need unions for the majority of skilled white collar government employees either.

We need them for people like farm and garment workers and restaurant staff: those who get paid minimum wage and in some cases even less than that; who work in crap or unsafe conditions and who are asked to do things that contravene the Labour Standards act but don't know it, because either they are afraid to lose their source of employment, or don't speak English well enough to ask the right (or the wrong) questions. Those are the kind of people who need the protection of a union.

If the unions we have disappeared would we lose our polarization? Of course not. We would still have self-aggrandizing labour "activists" like Jinny Sims, sadly much more frequently than the Cesar Chavez type. We would also still have hardcore rednecks who would threaten to flee with their tax dollars every time a government even whispers about being labour-friendly.

My hope is that reality finally kicks in and both sides take negotiating seriously. If we don't want labour disruptions during the Olympics, we need to have our house in order first well in advance.

Trece

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Such paranoia from both sides of the coin....My hope is that reality finally kicks in and both sides take negotiating seriously. If we don't want labour disruptions during the Olympics, we need to have our house in order first well in advance.

Trece

Well Said.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Richmond seems to have settled on a contract. Rumours are a 5 yeard deal worth 17.5% increase over that time. More details to be given while the members ratify the contract. Both the Richmond Council and Union have given their thumbs up!

This is huge.... Great for Richmond who are not negotiating thru the GVRD LRB like the rest of us!! I'm hoping this pushed our guys into settling this soon.

As for other comments made in this thread, you have your right to your opinion. There are people in the City who do not care for the Union either and did not want to strike, but after listening and hearing teh BS that this management team is telling us... Well they are even pissed. An 89% rejection (2100 voters out of 2500 possible votes) of final proposed contract shows that people are pissed. Heck that suprised me, as i thought the vote would have been in the 70's. I want to see things move along, I want to get back to work, I want to move forward and make my way up the ladder. But it can't be done, unless a fair contract is given. This COV management team is one of the worst teams i've ever seen. It's sorta like seeing Bush and compnay talking.... IF you watch any of their TV interviews, or radio interviews they are all over the place.... The mayor still believes we are wanting to sabotage the olympics. Give me a fckuen break. If we wanted to do that, why are we asking for a 48 month term contract that ends December 31st 2010.

Whatever, i've voiced my opinion. I hope for the best, i hope we can settle quickly.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't become one strategizing about how to be subversive and disruptive to the employer I work for every chance I get. You and your kind sound so rehearsed and coached, it's absolutely laughable. Sleep tight knowing you represent all that is wrong with the "Canadian Dream" (service to your country notwithstanding) Ask our friend in common why he is so opposed to the Parks Board putting GPS units in the trucks.... Hmmmmmmmmm?????:bronco:

You guys are talking crap about regular unionized employees with no political aganda but to come to work and go home in one piece.

I realize there are some lazy workers out there just as much as there are ahole managers. My stuff may sound rehearsed but its the same stuff bronco and dude say in these threads all the time.

It is a fact of life that we are here to stay. It is about bargaining the best deal don't managers negotiate their own contracts the ones I know do.

For the record not all managers are aholes just ignorant fckus like Bronco.

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a friend, smart, capable, and a hard worker. She gets paid a ridiculously high wage in foodservice at a South Surrey Hospital. Basicall makes up to and around $20 an hour to scoop mashed potatoes and other attrocities that the hospital tries to pass off as food.

Could we not find someone to do the same job that works in the private sector (Subway, Quiznos, even Swiss Chalet etc)???

I call bs on the bold quote above! Name the hospital, and I will tell you who the food services provider is, and what they are making. Max $12.50/hr- $15/hr, if a chef(as they call it)

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The mood needs to be lightened....this should do it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM8VO9GCps]YouTube - Spider Pig Simpsons Trailer[/ame]

It will all work itself out.....I better not end up on stike

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're right robj, what was I thinking all these years. I've seen the light. Solidarity Forever, Solidarity Forever:rolleyes:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The scene: HOS and theRob getting ready to head home from civic HQ when HOS reaches out with a shovel or notepad and crushes a snail to death.

HOS:Got him!!!!

TheRob: What'd you go and do that for?

HOS: That thing's been following me all %$%$ day!!!

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The scene: HOS and theRob getting ready to head home from civic HQ when HOS reaches out with a shovel or notepad and crushes a snail to death.

HOS:Got him!!!!

TheRob: What'd you go and do that for?

HOS: That thing's been following me all %$%$ day!!!

Wow..that was stolen from the high 5 at five

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not much posted in here lately. Here's something that ought to have you rolling around in laughter (or disbeleif). Thy have already agreed to 5 years 17.5%. The following is a joke!!!!

- The union wants a guarantee there will be no layoffs until 2012. The employer wants to be able to lay people off and has offered a better redundancy package for workers.
- The union wants auxiliary and temporary full-time employees who have achieved seniority to be assigned additional shifts based only on that seniority. The city wants those shifts assigned based on skill, not seniority.
- The union wants workers at the parks board, city, Britannia Community Centre and Ray-Cam community centre to earn the same money for doing the same job. It also wants the pay scale to be compared with other public- and private-sector workers doing the same tasks. The city is concerned that will lead to unaffordable pay hikes.
- The union wants protection in the collective agreement for employees who blow the whistle on corrupt or unethical practices in the city. The employer wants such protection to be devised by council, which is scheduled to discuss the issue in the fall.
- The union wants current contract language to remain in place that prevents the city posting a vacancy internally at the same time as advertising the position externally. The city states it will lose many of its senior employees due to retirement in the next five years and needs hiring flexibility.

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been involved for a couple of negotiations(with my union in my industry) and money is the LAST thing discussed. I'd be surprised if the wages have been agreed to before things like "hiring flexibility" are addressed.

It's funny that all the labour unrest that we have had has been mirrored by a bit of a shitfight here on TTP. The teachers strike was especially entertaining.

I'm glad that there are people on this forum that think garbage men don't deserve a raise. Or hospital workers who make food should make minimum wage, instead of the massive 40 or 50 k a year. What I want to know is why do you guys care? Can't people who don't have a degree, or lets face it, people who are on the lower rungs of society have the opportunity to live with a little dignity? To give thier children opportunites that they never had?
To one day own their home? (on 50K per year I'm sure you can eventually get a nice condo in Hope).

Gotta get back to my book, I'm in the middle of this great Karl Marx book. :)

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Jim Sinclair, err canuckboy, nobody is saying that these people should live in squalor, but hey, if it means you can't live in Vancouver or nearby surrounding areas, then so be it. NO ONE has a God given right to a life of priveledge. That is why people go to school beyond high school. Your argument goes something like this. I'm alive and breathing therefore I am entitled to a job, a paycheque and all other benefits regardless of affordability and or demand for my services. Should there be no demand for my services too bad, I want a clause that says my entitlement is guaranteed for at least 5 years.

Now back to my book, co authored by Ronald Reagan and Bill Vanderzalm!!

:bronco:

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Life of Privilege? Are you kidding me? Yeah next time I'm in West Van I'll look up my garbage men friends and pop in for a brandy.

My argument is not that you are born, therefore you are entitled to a job for life. But if you are hardworking (as the majority of workers are), you should be reasonably compensated for your labour. Sorry man if you think 50 or 60 k is a lot of money, there's not much I can say, except that it isn't.

What gets me and what you really didn't address is why you care. In my past experiences I have seen the jealously associated with unions. And I'm thinking this may be your problem. I have a solution, breathe deeply, pull the stick out of your ass, relax, don't hate a system that has been in place for a hundred years and will continue until our society fundamentally changes.

Another thing shouldn't you be picking up garbage instead of posting on TTP?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0