Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Civic Strike(s)...

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alikira is not a union member by choice. he has to be a member to teach.....

....in the public school system.

You can teach and not be in a union....it is your choice to teach in the public school system and be a part of the union.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That coming from from someone who crossed his own picket line when the teachers were out!:mad: Whether you believe in the cause or not, you are a Union member, and much better off for it! Sims, is gone get over it!

I wonder what they would think in Andytown with that attitude!!:eek:

I fully support the City workers! And hope you get better than what HEU got!!

As I said before, I have NO ****ing choice when it comes to being a part of the BCTF..........If I want to teach in the public school system, I HAVE to become a member. I've tried to find out if it is possible to not be in it. Hope that makes you feel better, CSide. In Andytown, I'm sure they appreciate a person who sticks up in what he believes in......I guess you must be gutted with Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness then?

I hope you guys settle your differences and you get what you want. Good luck and hopefully it gets settle quickly.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hector says we can dump our garbage on his front lawn! He says nothing like having his backyard underwater from the flood and his front full of garbage from the strike.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear TheRob is taking a paid sick day off from his new Union job in Kamloops to support this civic strike.

TheRob: I'll meet you at the base of Sun Peaks, 10:00...for your personal protest, that is.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hector says we can dump our garbage on his front lawn! He says nothing like having his backyard underwater from the flood and his front full of garbage from the strike.

I will try not to bury his tent and bike to heavily.....the guy has to go out after midnight and steal shti you know

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All you pro union sheep keep talking about management raises etc etc!!! Thing is fellas, management is USUALLY well educated, and doesn't punch in and out on a time card. Simple solution really. If you're envious of management raises......become management!! But that would involve responsibility and maybe some extra hours that don't get paid at triple time. Perish the thought I know:eek: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There was a time and a place for unions, that was circa the Industrial Revolution. All unions do now is protect shitty, lazy workers!!! We need to take a page out of Ronald Reagan's playbook and do like he did with the air traffic controllers.....48 hrs to be back to work, or the whole lot of you are fired!!!:bronco:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't agree more Bronco.

Some of these guys need to give their heads a shake. Many / most are unskilled. Garbage collectors, cleaning staff, etc. It isn't the public's responsibility to make sure these people go out and either obtain a University education, or a skilled trade. For the most part, the unskilled labor is vastly overpaid, and now they want the short term contract to in order to keep the best bargaining chip they'll ever see in holding the Olympics hostage.

As for the teachers, etc...Captain will agree: one of the greatest injustices that has come from teachers being a part of the union is that it not only degrades the quality of work we get out of them, but it degrades our ability to provide them w/ a competitive environment, to shop out their skills / enhanced abilities / success ratio. Bad teachers should be fired, and good teachers should be paid at a premium.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
All you pro union sheep keep talking about management raises etc etc!!! Thing is fellas, management is USUALLY well educated, and doesn't punch in and out on a time card. Simple solution really. If you're envious of management raises......become management!! But that would involve responsibility and maybe some extra hours that don't get paid at triple time. Perish the thought I know:eek: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There was a time and a place for unions, that was circa the Industrial Revolution. All unions do now is protect shitty, lazy workers!!! We need to take a page out of Ronald Reagan's playbook and do like he did with the air traffic controllers.....48 hrs to be back to work, or the whole lot of you are fired!!!:bronco:

What I wanna know is if that is the case how did you become a manager?

Bronco, Geez I thought with a noggin the size of yours you might think before you write.

It's simply you treat the guy that works hard for you and makes you look good decently and there are no issues.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the biggest difference in mentality, right there:

It's simply you treat the guy that works hard for you and makes you look good decently and there are no issues.

In the private world, I hire somebody because they are qualified, come with a good track record of performance, and pay a premium for his services. It is competitive...I will pay more for a proven performer than an unproven guy. But, if the guy underperforms, I will let him go. It is his job to perform to his highest ability to satisfy my requirements. At the end of the day, he is accountable to me, and I am accountable to the bottom line. He doesn't pull his weight, he will be, as we say, encouraged to find another job.

Union guy = head in ass.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the biggest difference in mentality, right there:

In the private world, I hire somebody because they are qualified, come with a good track record of performance, and pay a premium for his services. It is competitive...I will pay more for a proven performer than an unproven guy. But, if the guy underperforms, I will let him go. It is his job to perform to his highest ability to satisfy my requirements. At the end of the day, he is accountable to me, and I am accountable to the bottom line. He doesn't pull his weight, he will be, as we say, encouraged to find another job.

Union guy = head in ass.

Who cares about the private world, nobody cares about that in this thread.

We're here to stay and if you don't like the Charter of Rights then move somewhere else. Easy!

You will never get rid of Unions so deal with it. You're like a broken record. This thread was started by a Union guy, dealing with the civic strike telling guys whats going on.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm with the Captain Bronco, and Dude.

Unions HAD a time and place, but now simply protect the NDP's horrible wastage during their time on the blocks...

I have a friend, smart, capable, and a hard worker. She gets paid a ridiculously high wage in foodservice at a South Surrey Hospital. Basicall makes up to and around $20 an hour to scoop mashed potatoes and other attrocities that the hospital tries to pass off as food.

Could we not find someone to do the same job that works in the private sector (Subway, Quiznos, even Swiss Chalet etc)???

This is where I come from when I speak of Labour unions.

The Labour Unions in the costruction world are all but gone, save in a few trades such as Gas and Pipe fitters, and some other specialized trades, on a whole...skilled labour has de-unionized.

Now the only folks being (purportedly) protected by unions are the (i know it is a stereo-type) "I want what I want because I'm enititled to it" crowd.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I wanna know is if that is the case how did you become a manager?

I didn't become one strategizing about how to be subversive and disruptive to the employer I work for every chance I get. You and your kind sound so rehearsed and coached, it's absolutely laughable. Sleep tight knowing you represent all that is wrong with the "Canadian Dream" (service to your country notwithstanding) Ask our friend in common why he is so opposed to the Parks Board putting GPS units in the trucks.... Hmmmmmmmmm?????:bronco:

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't agree more Bronco.

Some of these guys need to give their heads a shake. Many / most are unskilled. Garbage collectors, cleaning staff, etc. It isn't the public's responsibility to make sure these people go out and either obtain a University education, or a skilled trade. For the most part, the unskilled labor is vastly overpaid, and now they want the short term contract to in order to keep the best bargaining chip they'll ever see in holding the Olympics hostage.

As for the teachers, etc...Captain will agree: one of the greatest injustices that has come from teachers being a part of the union is that it not only degrades the quality of work we get out of them, but it degrades our ability to provide them w/ a competitive environment, to shop out their skills / enhanced abilities / success ratio. Bad teachers should be fired, and good teachers should be paid at a premium.
Amen, brother.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

We're here to stay and if you don't like the Charter of Rights then move somewhere else. Easy!

You will never get rid of Unions so deal with it. You're like a broken record. This thread was started by a Union guy, dealing with the civic strike telling guys whats going on.

That was intelligent...keep that up. That kind of well thought out retort is legendary stuff.

Seriously.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally Posted by robj

Seems more people in this thread care about the private world than not.

~About 2001, I was near my wits end w/ the lack of investment in capital projects in this province that I very nearly closed the doors on my business, and was between either becoming a Pemberton hippy, or moving to Alberta to pursue the same business interests serving Edmonton and the oil fields.

~NDP is given the boot, and I kid you not, on the following day, I had a significant increase in inquiries that hasn't since slowed, only increased. The day after the death of the NDP, my customer- the companies that invest in this Province in Capital expenditures, construction, and manufacturing- were positive and upbeat about the future outlook.

Now, not sure if you understand this, but the vast majority of unions in this province work in the manufacturing, industrial, and private markets.

So, as far as "don't like it, leave" mentality, I damn well nearly did, and in doing so would have been following the brain and money drain to Alberta and the US- just like so many others were doing at the time.

So on that front, you're bang on. I would leave if the NDP gained power again. My employees would be out of a job, and the Province would be losing another corporate and private taxpayer. Small business, mind you, but when you fill a bucket w/ sand, you have a pretty heavy bucket.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0