Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Civic Strike(s)...

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like this is the final weekend for normal operations at the city of vancouver and north vancouver. There are also 6 more city's in position do give strike notice i hear.

We (local 15 inside workers) voted down the city's final offer to us yesterday (89% Rejection) and serverd 72 hour strike notice today and could go out as early as Monday morning. 1004 has already started their strike, with OT bans and study sessions. I'm thinking Monday will be the day for both groups to hit the lines. Unless they somehow make a deal over the weekend. Our union has booked a room across the street from teh city for the next 3 days.... lets see if the city shows us to negotiate!!!

Could this delay olympic items?? Damn straight!

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJB, is is true that the biggest stumbling block right now is the time of the contract?

The Union wants it till 2009, while the City wants it to extend past 2010 so that there will be no possibility of a strike during the Olympics. If there were a strike right before the Olympics, it would put all the power in the hands of the Union.

Not taking sides, just trying to understand the issue.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps,

Time of the contract is a big issue. Right now the city has it set for 39 months. It will end 1 week after the paralympic games end. The union when first starting negotiations had a 10% over 2 years contract in mind at the begining of negotations last year. From my understanding we are ok with teh contract going past the olympics but we want it to go to the end of the year and not 1 week after it ends. So the Union is looking at a 36/48/60 month contract. We know the city won't go for a 24 month contract, but we dont' want to have a 39 month contract. Main reason is the contract we negotiate then will be crap, due to costs of the olympics. As well they are offering us .25% in the last part of the contract.... What the fcku is that?? Can't even buy coffee. And the 9.75% they are offering us is spread so far apart, that its hilarious to hear them say we are offering 10%. They are offering at staggering dates. 2% in jan 1% sept, 1%jan..... so on....

The good thing about this is that all the city's should have the same collective aggreement..... The bad thing is, everyone will suffer, except for the people running the city.

We were all thinking that the last contract (signed in 2004) was going to be like this (strike) and that this one would have been easy and signed ages ago. But i guess not.

Rumours coming out of Richmond is there asking for a 48 month contract at 4% each year.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can see why you wouldn't want to have a 39 month contract. The way the city is making it sound is that you guys want the contract to expire before the Olmpics, which does not appear to be the case, as you are willing to sign for a longer team deal.

Thanks for the info.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just got a 1.5% and am not complaining. You guys are offered a 9.75% increase and your complaining? Should I be mad?? No comment!

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wages aren't the real worry.... I think that is the easiest part of the contract. There are a lot of other parts to it that are not right. For example; You get hired at the same level as myself. As an incentive for you to work at the city they can give you a higher wage and more vacation time. How would you feel if you were backing up the person who just got hired for 4 weeks vacation and makes more money than you, as you only back them up for 3 and won't see that 4th vacation till your 10th year.

Yes i know everywehre is different. Private vs Public is a huge topic. But the whole time i keep hearing how it's tough for the management to give us a raise or benefits increase or whatever, while they are giving themselves huge increases in the last few years some over 16% a year increase. That's the BS.... If we deserve no increase then they deserve no increase as well.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJB what blows me away about this is the public talk about 9.75% and it's always the unions fault and Union retoric.

Bargaining is bargaining and when one side demands and refuses to bargain then fukc em. I would love to see one of you go buy a car or house and the salesman says you are getting this for that and no warranty. Would you seriously buy, no you would walk away. In this scenerio they don't even want to sit down. This is a democratic country and if the public doesn't like it then go to the dump on the weekend and get rid of your own garbage, or guess what take the day off work and watch your own kids. Otherwise don't complain about our democratic right to strike. Even the Supreme Court of Canada says it is in our Charter or Rights.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a proud HEU member, I back you 100% . We got screwed by Gordon Campell

I juet realized I am to0 drunk yo yype what I wanted to say.Aaanothre time!

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJB, we got locked out today by Cupe 1004 as I thought I would get 2 more days of work in before Monday! You are right about the contract issues. Another thing, Judy Rogers who is the City Manager just recieved a 46% increase in her salary this year. She now makes I believe $346,000.00 a year, and yet she sends us some sob story letter this week telling us to vote yes for the contract as it will look bad for the City! Go f*ck yourself and I'm personally glad we had such a strong NO vote!

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll say it.........**** the union...........:

I love people like you, these are the same people that take your garbage clean your snow off the roads and keep your parks clean and you are telling them to **** off. I have an idea what don't you tell them to their face so the next time you need a permit for your home reno or a building permit they'll get right on it.

Move to Alberta where you don't have to worry about Unions because they'll never leave this province. And if you don't like democracy and the freedom to vote or go on strike then move to any other country in the world.

Or you and anyone else that don't like us can keep crying and bitching cause we're here to stay:eek:

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What if I don't get garbage pickup and drive a 4 wheel drive so don't worry about snow ? What if I don't get permits as I build things to my specs not theirs? Couldn't park cleanup go private?

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll say it.........**** the union...........:

That coming from from someone who crossed his own picket line when the teachers were out!:mad: Whether you believe in the cause or not, you are a Union member, and much better off for it! Sims, is gone get over it!

I wonder what they would think in Andytown with that attitude!!:eek:

I fully support the City workers! And hope you get better than what HEU got!!

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What if I don't get garbage pickup and drive a 4 wheel drive so don't worry about snow ? What if I don't get permits as I build things to my specs not theirs? Couldn't park cleanup go private?

Thats awesome...can you circle west 27th on Tuesday and I need some trash picked up.

Can wait to be out of work :(

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Then you have no worries and bitching about the strike.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love people like you, these are the same people that take your garbage clean your snow off the roads and keep your parks clean and you are telling them to **** off. I have an idea what don't you tell them to their face so the next time you need a permit for your home reno or a building permit they'll get right on it.

Move to Alberta where you don't have to worry about Unions because they'll never leave this province. And if you don't like democracy and the freedom to vote or go on strike then move to any other country in the world.

Or you and anyone else that don't like us can keep crying and bitching cause we're here to stay:eek:

What does the reference to Alberta mean? I worked there from 2000-2003 and never had an issues with workers at all.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alikira is not a union member by choice. he has to be a member to teach.

As for the union - non union debate, that is one where neither side will ever convince the other side that they are right. My only experience as a member was a joke as we were lied to repeatedly and not told all the info. it was near on impossible to get the union decertified after a few guys got the certification done and they were never even close to ever reaching an agreement with the company.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0