Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Civic Strike(s)...

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco is just jealous people. Don't listen to his comments. He really is in favour of us city workers getting a fair contract!!! :rolleyes:

Week 8 starts monday.... Fcku when will this end!!! Come on Sullivan end this shite!!! :mad:

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come on Sullivan???? You should have a chit chat with your union higher ups and then start pointing fingers. Did you read the list of demands?? Unless you are on some serious hallucinogens, you can't be serious????

PS. I truly hope at this point you get locked out until Christmas, and at that point everything from garbage pickup to gravel pushing gets privatized!! Insert robj here spouting we're here forever get used to it :rolleyes:

:bronco:

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure Bronco that you list is accurate as is most the shite you post here. How can you say wages were agreed to when the city is too chicken to even meet with the Union Bargaining committee. They haven't even met since the proposals were sent too each other. I'd like to see your memorandum of Agreement on that with signatures from both sides.

The Union has maintained since the city does not want to meet to go to mediator, they refuse so how do you expect the strike to end if the city does not want to go to mediation, but hey let's blame the Union anyways.

Bronco you really are jealous ;) I would love to see your scanned copy of the Unions supposed demands.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been involved for a couple of negotiations(with my union in my industry) and money is the LAST thing discussed. I'd be surprised if the wages have been agreed to before things like "hiring flexibility" are addressed.

It's funny that all the labour unrest that we have had has been mirrored by a bit of a shitfight here on TTP. The teachers strike was especially entertaining.

I'm glad that there are people on this forum that think garbage men don't deserve a raise. Or hospital workers who make food should make minimum wage, instead of the massive 40 or 50 k a year. What I want to know is why do you guys care? Can't people who don't have a degree, or lets face it, people who are on the lower rungs of society have the opportunity to live with a little dignity? To give thier children opportunites that they never had?
To one day own their home? (on 50K per year I'm sure you can eventually get a nice condo in Hope).

Gotta get back to my book, I'm in the middle of this great Karl Marx book. :)

Ummmm...people who help themselves should be rewarded for the efforts. Teachers, IMO, vastly underpaid considering their education, work stress, and value to our society.

Now, if you've spent your life, for lack of a better description “not helping yourself”, and do not have an education, formal trade ticket, skill, etc…then no, I don’t think you deserve to make the wage that those people who do help themselves earn.

Why should I, through my taxes, prop these people up? No way in hell should a garbage man or food service person earn $50K in any society. They should earn minimum wage, and be motivated to help themselves to get a better job. As a society, we should be motivating these lower rung income earners to get the training or education to get that better job, and part of that motivation should be post secondary assistance.

Think outside the box, and reform the way we do things around here.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummmm...people who help themselves should be rewarded for the efforts. Teachers, IMO, vastly underpaid considering their education, work stress, and value to our society.

Now, if you've spent your life, for lack of a better description “not helping yourself”, and do not have an education, formal trade ticket, skill, etc…then no, I don’t think you deserve to make the wage that those people who do help themselves earn.

Why should I, through my taxes, prop these people up? No way in hell should a garbage man or food service person earn $50K in any society. They should earn minimum wage, and be motivated to help themselves to get a better job. As a society, we should be motivating these lower rung income earners to get the training or education to get that better job, and part of that motivation should be post secondary assistance

Think outside the box, and reform the way we do things around here.

Totally agree with Dude on this one.....well said!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you ever get tired of your monochromatic life?

Seriously, man, all those haircare products have affected your brain. I could give a flying fcuk about the stupidities of municipal politics; this isn't doing anybody any good. I've posed a solution; what have you done?

Now fcuk off, I'm busy...

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quick question: A bunch of games (VMSL) are being played this weekend on Parks fields (Hastings, Kensington, etc), whereas last week they were closed. Are they open this week because somehow they are officially open to teams or are they just going to be crashed/used? My only concern is if leagues/teams are playing on closed fields and somebody gets hurt, then they may get screwed by insurance.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quick question: A bunch of games (VMSL) are being played this weekend on Parks fields (Hastings, Kensington, etc), whereas last week they were closed. Are they open this week because somehow they are officially open to teams or are they just going to be crashed/used? My only concern is if leagues/teams are playing on closed fields and somebody gets hurt, then they may get screwed by insurance.

It was on the news that soccer moms were mowing the lawn this week...maybe thats why they opened a select few:confused:

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would never get caught mowing a cities grass although I may mowe the odd soccer moms grass that is depending upon the length of the growth of course.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those of us mowing the soccer fields are concerned parents, not scabs
Christy Clark, Special to The Province
Published: Sunday, September 16, 2007

My fellow soccer parents are in despair. Our kids aren't playing much soccer these days. Vancouver's civic strike has meant most of the fields are covered in grass that's grown up to our children's knees.

It's a hassle to figure out where to store one's rotting garbage. It's disgusting to live with the swarms of fruit flies that populate most Vancouver kitchens these days.

But for soccer parents, the strike has become more than an inconvenience, now that our kids have nowhere to play and practice. So parents have begun to take matters into their own hands. Around the city, they are beginning to haul out their lawnmowers and cut the grass on those public fields themselves.

Many members of CUPE, Vancouver's striking union, are taking serious issue with this development. At one point last week, rumours were swirling around the soccer community that the union might even picket some games. Clearly, many CUPE members believe these parents are scabs.

They believe that, by mowing the fields, concerned parents are stealing union work. Further, by making it possible for citizens to use the fields, they are making it easier for all of us to survive this strike. And if it's easier to survive it, then CUPE believes we won't put pressure on their employer to get the thing settled as soon as it might otherwise be.

I can understand why the strikers are frustrated. Walking up and down the picket line, being ordered by CUPE brass not to sit or play games to relieve the boredom, must be an awful way to spend one's day. And most of them are by now missing their pay packets, not to mention their jobs, which I have no doubt they take pride in and enjoy doing.

But it's a step too far to accuse local soccer parents of scabbing.

Not one of them is profiting from doing CUPE's work. Those parents aren't getting paid a cent to mow the acres of fields. They're doing it because they're desperate to salvage their children's soccer season.

And, they're not doing it to make this strike easier on the folks at City Hall. They're just trying to support their kids' rights to have fresh air, exercise and a safe place to play.

They are no different from the people on my street who have found a million different ways to dispose of their garbage. Some of us have hired people to take it away. Others regularly gather theirs up and take it to friends in Richmond and Burnaby. That's all work that used to be done by the union. If that's union busting too, then the city is crawling with scabs.

None of us want this ridiculous strike to drag on a day longer than it has to. We all want things to get back to normal. But, in the meantime, we can't be blamed for doing what we can to keep our lives in working order.

A message to the union: if your members refuse to mow the playing fields, then don't blame taxpayers for doing it while you're on strike. Getting paid to cut the grass might be a job that belongs to CUPE members, but the fields themselves belong to the citizens of this city.

christy@christyclark.ca

Since the league has not communicated to teams what the situation is...what is the situation with Vancouver fields? Some are being played on and some are not. Our home park (Trimble) has posts up that were not up when the strike started, the grass has not been cut, and the field is lined. Who put the posts up - some parents? Will the league schedule games at Trimble if the grass is cut by parents and the league is advised the field is playable? None have been scheduled to date...

Some insight would be appreciated.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The parents that are cutting the lawns should demand a tax break. They should also take many coffee breaks while cutting the lawns, and at any large holes they should all stand together and stare in it for 5 to 10 minutes.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
While they are at it, 15 - 20 of them could put out some pylons along Knight, closing down a lane or two, and then form into small groups of 1 to 2 to take turns fixing the holes in the road. The rest of them can chat in a large circle on the boulevard or median

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever cut Memorial NE would have been better in not doing so. If you are scheduled to play there beware and bring 36 bottles of paint to line the field as the cones we used sunday was a bit of a joke. The grass was a tad long as well, unless it was us open sunday and nobody told me.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0