Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup 2004 Imperial Cup Results and various

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sap 3 - Sporting 5

Defence wasn't too good for both teams, but the goals were nice. I was dissappointed with Walks' refing today. To say he didn't have an effect on the outcome is debatable.

There was a clear pass back 10 yards from goal that wasn't called. The linesman put up his flag to indicate the infraction but Walks played on. We just came back for the 2nd time in the game and started have the control somewhat near the end of the half. This was the most important play of the game. A golden chance 10 yards out at 2-2 would have been nice.

Walks was flustered in the 1st half and needed the break to compose himself. The physical play and intensity contributed to a tough game to officiate. The no-goal call in the 2nd was very questionable, and the no-call on the PK where Trevor Todd was ran over from behind (although TT embelished his fall) was questionable as well.

Things could have been different.

But saying all that, Sporting is a very good team. They have talent, are physical, fast, and fit. It was a great game to watch and was head and shoulders above the Inter-Cliff game.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 1 vs Premier

Anyone who says that the difference between Div 1 and Premier isn't all that, is absolutely kidding themselves. 7 of the 8 teams remaining are from Premier. An upset here or there is just that, an upset, an anomoly. The Premier is a faster, more skilled game.

For all you who want to state that the games are close, thus the calaber of play is somewhat equal, it wasn't proven in this year's Cup. Even in the close games I've seen this Cup, the 9 out of 10 times the Prem team would win.

-AFC, the greatest Div 1 team ever got shalacked by Indo, last year's Div 1 champ, who are fighting for their Premier lives.
-Inter destroyed Cliff today, but just couldn't score. Cliff had 1 maybe 2 half chances. Domo, Tony, Cam, Joe Billy, were all there but it really wasn't even a game.
-9-0
-last years Div 1 great, Clan, 1 win this year.

What about the RUFC game, you ask? Does 1 game prove your opinion? RU does this almost every year, but they can never do it for an entire season-always a mid-table team. Same as Cliff. These are 1-hit-wonders. And good for them, it's nice to see the under dog win once in a while.

But people, lets get real.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
AFC warm up

The AFC warm up is laughable. What is worse, they spend 25 minutes every training session practising it.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, congrats to all teams that advanced this weekend, especially the RUFC lads. I have a feeling it is gonna be a cracker of a game vs Sporting.........again!

Spoke with Millar regarding our match vs Slurrey and have a slightly different opinion on how the match went than KNVB's offering :mad: But it is the result that matters and we, in the end, didn't get it done.

John

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Div 1 vs Premier

whataboutbob said:
Anyone who says that the difference between Div 1 and Premier isn't all that, is absolutely kidding themselves.
-Inter destroyed Cliff today, but just couldn't score. Cliff had 1 maybe 2 half chances. Domo, Tony, Cam, Joe Billy, were all there but it really wasn't even a game.

WAB I understand that you would go on a rant about Cup play after all the trash that Larsson was talking heading into AFC games, but don't put Cliff Ave. in the same category as those other Top Div. 1 teams. Now I am not saying Cliff Ave is not a top team, but they are happy being a very competitive Div. 1 team, thats all (I think) and not promotion to Premier. They are made up of players that have all played Premier before and done well at that, and now can not make that commitment. That does not mean they should not go out at Cup time and try to upset some Premier teams. Good on Cliff Ave for holding all the Inter big guns to no goals for 90 mins. and taking the game to OT.

The other teams are a different story, they all are gunning for promotion and talk trash about how small the gap is between Div. 1 and Premier, until they move up for 1 year, get spanked and relegated right back down. Any team moving up has to pick up 3 or 4 good players or they will not compete, that goes for AFC, who I am glad has been put to rest and we don't have to hear from any more, until next Sept. when the new season starts.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dear John,

Did you ask him if his leg was sore from punting the ball up the park all day? It must have been. I don't recall more than a few times him or anyone else at the back for that matter knocking less then a 30 yard ball. I don't see how my 'offering' was too far from the truth. The game was ugly,full of mucking and your mob punting the ball up the park every time they had a chance too. There was really zero flow from either side for that exact reason. 3/4 of the game was spent winning the knock downs. Don't get me wrong, you did have a few build up's, but they were few and far between. Gino was buzzing in the first half causing all sorts of problems early taking on men, but he didn't get the ball through the middle that's for sure it came directly from the back. For the most part the chances, all totaled were about equal with the majority of your good ones coming in the first. You must have had a dozen corners too.

Had it been a league game, a draw probably would have been fair.

Anyone else like angry WAB? :D

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sporting vs. Sapp

The field was shite, but that was the most intense game we've been in this year, and it was a hell of a lot of fun. I thought Walks did a fine job in a very intense game with lots of emotion and some tough calls. As has already been said, team defence was pretty weak by both sides which led to lots of goals and an exciting game.

Best part of the day was handing HOS a beer while he was still playing in his game for the CAT team. He actually made a great save just after taking a few swigs, but the rebound was put in by a wide open player from the other team, where was the D? The geegers were awesome! Thanks to Zaurrinni, I might have to talk to the Sporting directors and see if we can get some Portuguese sasauges and buns on the BBQ for our games soon.

Cheers,
jr.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somewhat predictable that the guys from the winning side were content with the officiating, while those on the wrong end of the scoreline were disappointed with the man in the middle.

Just a factual note:
the no-call on the PK where Trevor Todd was ran over from behind (although TT embelished his fall) was questionable as well.

Todd got booked on this play for diving.

A nod to the geeger chef: Fil gave me a cryptic rundown of the exact date and referee involved with his career-threatening injury, of which he has still not recovered from. It has been burned (not unlike a barbequed sausage) into his memory.

Between Zaurinni and Wevers, Walks should sleep with one eye open.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone who says that the difference between Div 1 and Premier isn't all that, is absolutely kidding themselves. 7 of the 8 teams remaining are from Premier. An upset here or there is just that, an upset, an anomoly. The Premier is a faster, more skilled game.

Weavers,

You have to be kidding. According to your 'reasoning', we should not have beat Indo last week. We had a GREAT chance of beating them. Ask Sandman. The second penalty they got with 15 minutes to go was VERY debatable. Walks made the call and we will live with it. Indo is a good team. You are not. You rely on kicking the shite out of teams and skill is an after thought. I'm thrilled that Indo beat the team who is being paid a shite load of money to play. However, you must have the worst blinkers EVER. The gap is not as much as you think. I haven't said much all year about it but I am now. FYI, the premier league should have more teams left in the final eight. Do you think? But the way they won this year was LESS than convincing. Until you can do something worthwhile, you should refrain from commenting like you did. Your team/club(?) is NOTHING like you think it is. When you're in div. 1 next year, how are you going to keep drawing the great players you say you are drawing? You can't. I like a lot of the guys on your team, especially Brian Donald, but AGE is catching up to you. I can't play any more. I'm done. There's a reason you're fighting for relegation. Indo will stay up, especially if they have to play you. I don't know if they do but if they do, that's a slam-dunk for Indo.

Anyway, well done, Sandman. I couldn't be happier with the result because it makes our performance last week that much better. :) Good luck the rest of the season and in the Imperial Cup.

Captain

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trevor Todd was clearly taken down for a PK that was not called in the Sporting - Sapp game today. I don't agree with WAB that he embellished it, but that is how the ref saw it but I have seen Trevor chopped many times and he is not one to embellish or dive. Todd got his first yellow card in a long long time which was harsh and wrong.

The pass back call was missed too but given that Sap gave up 5 goals it is hard to say the ref did them in and no one is saying that. The ref is a good ref who handles the players well and keeps things well under control. He also doesn't have rabbit ears like some of these dorks do. He ignores a lot of stuff guys say in the heat of the moment and more refs should do the same unless it is over the top.

Sporting play quick, short and simple balls that leads to their success.

I thought Sap didn't play well from the back out today and clearly seemed to miss Matt Hale back there. Overall, they attempted too many difficult passes on the day, rather than copy Sporting's more simple fast paced game.

WAB may not see this but maybe it is better to have only the League to focus on as the Sap side is too tight to call for relegation right now.

Possibly there was not one turning point in the game but a combination of some bad defending by Sap, the non-calls, Shane Mummery and Ted Ulrich leaving the midfield weaker, and Trevor Todd bouncing one off the post in the first half that led to Sap's demise.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sap and Div 1

Captain Shamrock said:
Weavers,

Indo is a good team. You are not. You rely on kicking the shite out of teams and skill is an after thought.
There's a reason you're fighting for relegation. Indo will stay up, especially if they have to play you.

Captain

FYI, 4 teams are fighting to stay up.
This is our starting line up. Can you point out the goons for me?
Brian Donald
Chad August
Matt Hale
Jeff Rogers
Mike Favaro
Paul Favaro
Ted Ullrich
Shane Mummery
Trevor Todd
Luke Hogan
A lot has changed at Sap, and this this idea that we can't play soccer is completely nonsense. When was the last time you have seen Sap play? Not too many.

Peg is 2 points ahead of us, are they shite, too? MF is only 3. Are they site as well? If we were all on the other side, we would all be in 3rd place. Does that mean 5 teams on the other side are ultimate shite? But all these teams beat Div 1 teams, and again 7 of 8 is dominating. Thus Div 1 is absolutely shite.

So lets state the obvious. EVERYONE IS CRAP except a select few......but we beat Inter twice, so throw them in the shite mix as well. :rolleyes:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sap and Div 1

whataboutbob said:
Can you point out the goons for me?
Brian Donald
Chad August
Matt Hale
Jeff Rogers

Mike Favaro
Paul Favaro
Ted Ullrich
Shane Mummery
Trevor Todd
Luke Hogan

I put the Sap goons in Bold if anyone was thinking that the Favaro bro's are like the Hansons for Sap.

Come on WAB, every team has to be tough in winter, but they also have to be able to play somewhat or else they will be down in the Shitty Div. 1.

It was close this year in Cup, because the lower div. teams really get up for playing Premier teams, the games may be close but you saw the Premier teams come up on top at the end of games or in OT because they are fitter than most Div. 1 teams, that is the big difference in the end. All teams are playing long ball on fields like Hillcrest, that park was terrible, now that is an example of a Cup game that should have been played on turf.

Good luck to the Sap. goons in the relegation battle ;)

hos

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS

Fitness is definitely a huge factor. In the Inter-Cliff game, Cliff was completely spent after 50 minutes. If that game was on turf, it would have been a Westside special. 2 questions:
1. Why were the Cup games played on brutal Hillcrest East (3 games on the day), and your CAT game-the only game of the day-played on that beautiful Centre pitch?
2. Why do you have 2 GUYS on your avtar?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
1. Why were the Cup games played on brutal Hillcrest East (3 games on the day), and your CAT game-the only game of the day-played on that beautiful Centre pitch?
2. Why do you have 2 GUYS on your avtar?

1. Westside A was schedualed to play Clan on that pitch on Sunday, but that game got changed to Saturday. You are right, one of the Cup games should have been on the center pitch and our CAT game on gravel somewhere.

2. Thats not two GUYS, its two GAYS, Sid is giving it to Larsson, I think that is fitting after the BIG AFC game on Sunday.

hos

Here is one for Regs, why is it that Peg trys to play games on Kinsmen, when it has been under construction, when they have access to good pitches at Newton Athletic? Now we have to play on crap Bear Creek on Wed. night, in the rain.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
they are fitter than most Div. 1 teams, that is the big difference in the end.

Bingo. I actually agree with something you said, HOS. Not skill but fitness....Of course you don't fall into that category but a valid point.

WAB,

Point well taken. I haven't seen Sapperton play in quite some time so I probably shouldn't be judging by what I saw a couple of years ago. Good luck with the other 'shite' teams you are battling to stay up with. :p :D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Bingo.Not skill but fitness....Of course you don't fall into that category but a valid point.

I don't fall into either category, simple numbers have kept me playing, it seems there are no keepers coming up through the ranks to take spots away from guys anymore, or there are and they have less fitness and skill than me, which is pretty bad.

What would happen if a Div. 1 team got fit, probably see a run through Cup like Fireman had last year. Is Richmond fit, can they pull off another upset over Sporting on the weekend.

Should be interesting for Peg and Khalsa, game Wed., then possibly a game on Friday at home for either team vs. Indo. Not much time to recover.

hos

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB

Im kinda confused on why your pissing on us lowly 1st div teams.What has your team done so differently than ours in this years cup run????WE both went against top of the table teams on both sides and came out on the losing end...I didnt see your match so I cant pass judgement but you saying that if our game was on turf or they should of pummeled us 9-0 is a little far fetched...By no means am I saying that we should of won nor saying that they didnt control most of the game but we played our game plan to almost perfection..Once they got into our 20 yard box they really didnt create much..Mario made a huge save off Sal but other than that I cant recall them having the numerous scoring chances that would make it a 9-buzz game???....AS you,HOS and the Capt have put it,the main difference is FITNESS...Our team trains once a week and are lucky to get more than 10 guys out...Commitment plays a huge part on why most of us are playing in the lowly 1st div...Thats right the same division that has Sikh Temple,who if I'm not mistaken tied the mighty Sapperton jugernaut(sp)a couple months back :eek:What is your record against 1st division teams anyways?? :confused: I have no problem saying that the better team won yesterday but talking to all of them after the match yesterday,it was a little closer than what you make it out to be.....On a different note,the apres game festivities were amazing,Zaurrini was masterful on the bbq and Ivan's cooler was stacked to the rim with beer,Crown Royal and Vodka..Hands down,best beer man in all divisions and would be a welcomed addition to the mighty Orange and Black ;)..It was a shame that we had to meet my old team yesterday,the result WOULD have been different if we we were up against a bottom of the table team like Sapperton...Maybe we'll see your quality team in the 1st division next year.

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hands of Stone said:
Should be interesting for Peg and Khalsa, game Wed., then possibly a game on Friday at home for either team vs. Indo. Not much time to recover.

hos

are the quarter-finals for the Imperial Cup going to be played this upcoming weekend?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes.

Sporting vs. RUFC - Hastings bowl
Winner Khalsa/Peg Vs. Indo - TBA
Inter vs Slurrey - Adanac
Westside vs. MF - Hillcrest

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos,

That was a total dive by Todd and if you think otherwise, get your eyes checked. Also, i like how you keep mentioning all the non-calls throughout the game that didn't go Sapp's way. How about the goal we scored that was called back in the 1st half. Plus, i was tackled from behind in the box and was only able to get my hand on the ball because of this. There was no PK called, but instead, the linesman called handball on me. We also had one cleared off the line in the second half when Steve Dormer almost potted one, and then Fraz received a beautiful cross from Ryan Dormer and unfortunately hit the outside of the post.

Basically, what i'm trying to get at is that, instead of trying to make it seem like Sapperton was all over us, admit that we had just as many quality chances and non-calls as you guys did today. Now i know i can never take any of your game reports seriously.

Cheers,
jr.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0