Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Trade Luongo asap........

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
When will Florida management realize that everytime the phone rings and the caller id has a 604 prefix that they are about to get pumped in a trade?

We win Bure Trade
We win Ballard trade (only because they're too inept and waive Grabner)
We win Luo trade for Bertuzzi (Thanks keenan)
We will certainly win this trade.

Samuelsson and Sturm are way too slow to play on this team or with players like Higgins, Kesler, Raymond etc.

hopefully booth has got all the tears out of his system and he's ready to play.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

Why will the Canucks win this trade? This trade isn't about the players changing teams it's about dumping Booths contract in Florida. Samuelson and Sturm most likely wont even finish the season in Florida and even if they do they are done their respective contracts. Not going to argue that Booth has more upside and tLent than either of the former Canucks and will probably flourish in Vancouver, just that this trade and the Ballard trade were about Florida rebuilding and dumping salary. 25 million or whatever the number is for those two over the next 3 years seems a bit high. I wonder if Dale Tallon thinks he got "pumped" in those
trades

TA

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

Why will the Canucks win this trade? This trade isn't about the players changing teams it's about dumping Booths contract in Florida. Samuelson and Sturm most likely wont even finish the season in Florida and even if they do they are done their respective contracts. Not going to argue that Booth has more upside and tLent than either of the former Canucks and will probably flourish in Vancouver, just that this trade and the Ballard trade were about Florida rebuilding and dumping salary. 25 million or whatever the number is for those two over the next 3 years seems a bit high. I wonder if Dale Tallon thinks he got "pumped" in those
trades

TA

All trades come with risk.

Both teams won this trade for different reasons and the different states of each franchise.

Florida wins because they dump salary for next year.

Vancouver wins Because they get a top six North American forward / potential 30 goal scorer at a decent price for the next 3 years.
Canucks needed a top 6 forward and tried to address it through free agency but were turned off at the money being thrown around for guys like Ville Leino, Brooks Laich, ect...

In My opinion is the Canuck franchise owed Kesler a player of this potential to play beside him.

Lets see what happens

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sturm was a gamble that paid off in parlaying him (for whatever reason, and I get your argument TA) for Booth alongside a past-it slow swede that consistently turned the puck over whilst manning a PP Point position.

The Nucks win the trade because they operate in a hockey market that doesn't need the cap. So anytime you win the "hockey side" of a trade, you win the trade... Tallon might have won the trade, economically speaking, but his fans (if there are any) obviously don't hold management and the Panthers overall to a higher standard... you'd have to think that Gillis is just smart in beating the other teams to the punch in making these other-teams-dumping-cash trades. It should also be noted that by making this trade Tallon will now have to overpay for more aging vets next July 1st, just to make the floor, whereas with Booth he had a guy taking up a 4.whatever mill piece of the pie that could actually contribute.

Of course it remains to be seen if Booth can return to 30+ goals land, or if he will always be a ~20 goal scorer now his egg has been scrambled twice... if that doesn't happen then the Nucks lose the trade. Of the trades I've seen between the Nucks and Panthers, we've won every one of them imho going all the way back to Bure and Co for Jovo and co.

remember Money doesn't matter to Acquilini family and Canucks S&E (*see paying 2.0+ to Reinprecht in AHL), the Cap is a hindrance to success on the ice. not a way to success... Kind of like Poco FC and not being able to "pay" players ;) The Nucks would be spending alongside the Rangers, Blackhawks, Maple Leafs etc if the Cap didn't exist. As long as the Nucks are making the playoffs, the Rog' will be full, people will be buying sweaters for $250+ and advertsiing etc will be selling like hotcakes...mmmm hotcakes!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
27 minutes, 3 goals against, a .750 GAA and the hook by a coach that doesn't like to hook people against the 19th team in the league?

Why do you say that TBL?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am going to give him and the team till about 5 days into November to start looking like a championship team. His history here shows he- and the team- have always had slow starts. Given his history, it's most likely he'll find his form in November, and the team will go on a nice, long run of wins.

That being said, I haven't ever been a big fan, and personally believe the team would be better off if they could move him. My issue is his playoff performance. Two years ago he melted down vs. Chicago. He did this year too, before finally figuring it out and allowing the squad to pull one out (BTW, JT w/ the late goal to tie it only showed me that Luongo lacks the final killer instinct that Brodeur & Roy had...same in the Olympic final). Boston...come on...what else but a total meltdown on Luongo can describe his game 3 & 4 performances.

Anyhow...I'm sure the season and his GAA at the end will be just fine, it's post season that is my concern.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luongo didn't play well last night.

~CaptainObvious

Neither did his teammates for that little 5-7 minute stretch, to hang it all on Luongo is fools errand.

Can someone explain to me wtf Bieksa was doing on the two goals he was on the ice for?

On the bright side, it was nice to see him smash his stick into toothpicks and get upset at the whole thing.

I'm going to the game tonight and the talk was is was Schneiders game all along, but that might change due to Lu getting the hook job last night. I was looking forward to seeing Schneider live...Hope I get to.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They all struggled, yes.

The difference between him and the top line goalies in the league now is that when their teams struggles in front of them, the goalies still make the big stops. Sort of like how Luongo played when he first arrived (w/ the exception of that first October, actually). If teams played wonderfully in front of the goalie all the time, Chris Osgood would be good enough for any team anywhere.

So, yes...maybe the rest of the team is playing poorly for stretches, but they aquired Luongo to bail them out of those situations, and to make routine stops. At this point, he's not bailing them out, and the routine stops aren't even there.

Again, I think it'll be better after November, but that won't change my opinion that long term, I think the team is better off if they can somehow move him to another NHL team.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You really like to stir it, doncha?

2007...too long and at least one goalie coach, one major injury (groin...major for goalies), one change in tending style, and two mental meltdowns in the playoffs to take this article into consideration.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
His history here shows he- and the team- have always had slow starts. Given his history, it's most likely he'll find his form in November, and the team will go on a nice, long run of wins.

As you noticed, it is not the slow start that raises a concern; it is his finish when he completely melts down. He is simply not worth the money he has been getting here. A good goalie - yes; a great goalie - no!

Can he win the Stanley Cup with Canucks? Yes, of course! Canucks are really good team and they only need Luongo to be mentally tough during the play-offs. The rest will come easily. But, there is no too much time left for that. If nothing happens this season then the opportunity may be lost for the rest of his time here. Simply, this season is "Do or die" for Canucks and Luongo.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It doesn't matter who we have, they will never be good enough. Vancouver and Hockey is, Footy in England, were always "the best" and its always someones fault when we don't win the big one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As you noticed, it is not the slow start that raises a concern; it is his finish when he completely melts down. He is simply not worth the money he has been getting here. A good goalie - yes; a great goalie - no!

Can he win the Stanley Cup with Canucks? Yes, of course! Canucks are really good team and they only need Luongo to be mentally tough during the play-offs. The rest will come easily. But, there is no too much time left for that. If nothing happens this season then the opportunity may be lost for the rest of his time here. Simply, this season is "Do or die" for Canucks and Luongo.

And I posted:

That being said, I haven't ever been a big fan, and personally believe the team would be better off if they could move him. My issue is his playoff performance. Two years ago he melted down vs. Chicago. He did this year too, before finally figuring it out and allowing the squad to pull one out (BTW, JT w/ the late goal to tie it only showed me that Luongo lacks the final killer instinct that Brodeur & Roy had...same in the Olympic final). Boston...come on...what else but a total meltdown on Luongo can describe his game 3 & 4 performances.

So we agree, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0