Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL 2006/07 - Preseason banter and signings

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: NHL Free-agency! Who is signing where?

Regs said:
Is that a published figure? 10 players to fill out the roster? Isn't it only really 2 (Carter and a replacement for Bert)? Not to mention either Clouts or Norinen's salary to play with (I think it's norinen - you know who I'm talking about anyways)...
Page A61 of the Province - Team lacks right winger, experienced D-man and has 8.55m left to sign 10 players. I don't make the news I just hear it, screw with it and then spread nasty rumors.

Ps. Congratulations to Elvis who just had a 300lbs two headed baby boy.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Are you sure it was Elvis? I read a competing paper and they mentioned it was Kevin Federline?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I'm not sure but it was confirmed that he was born in Argentina.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Pronger going to the DucksEDMONTON (CP) -- The Edmonton Oilers granted Chris Pronger his wish Monday, dealing the star defenceman to the Anaheim Ducks for a package featuring young sniper Joffrey Lupul.

Also headed to the Oilers are defenceman Ladislav Smid, the ninth overall selection in the 2004 draft, plus Anaheim's first-round draft choice in 2007, a conditional first-round pick and a second-round draft choice in 2008.

Pronger helped lead the Oilers to the Stanley Cup final this season, where they lost in seven games to the Carolina Hurricanes. He then stunned the team by asking for a trade after the final for personal reasons.

Pronger signed a $31.25-million US, five-year contract with the Oilers last summer. He'll joins Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer on a potentially dominant blue-line corps.

"We believe having Chris Pronger join Scott Niedermayer on our blue-line gives us two of the top defencemen in the NHL today," Ducks GM Brian Burke said in a release. "Players of this calibre don't become available very often, especially when they are still in the prime of their career."

Lupul, an Edmonton native, scored 28 goals with 25 assists for the Mighty Ducks last year.

The 25-year-old also played a big role in Anaheim's run to the Western Conference final, scoring four goals in Game 3 against Colorado in the second round. That made him the first NHL player to score four goals in a playoff game, including the overtime winner.

Smid, 20, played his first season in North America with the AHL's Portland Pirates, collecting three goals and 25 assists in 71 games. He spent the past three years playing in his native Czech Republic.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yzerman hangs up his skates
DETROIT (CP) -- Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman announced his retirement on Monday, bringing an end to a playing career that made him one of the most respected men in hockey.

Yzerman, who spent his entire 22-year career with the Red Wings, led Detroit to three Stanley Cups and playoff appearances in each of the last 15 years. Only Gordie Howe holds as many franchise records.

"I've had a wonderful career and I really will miss it," he said.

Yzerman opened his news conference at Joe Louis Arena by speaking for more than two minutes before he finally said the word "retirement."

But it's official -- after a career that saw him win three Stanley Cups and become one of the most prolific scorers in league history, the 41-year-old Yzerman is done.

"I've given up a hope that I'm still improving," he said with a smile.

Yzerman indicated that he will remain with the organization but wasn't clear about exactly what his new role will be.

The decision to end his playing career was a tough one to make. While he had thought all year that this was his final season, Yzerman said he strongly considered returning for a 23rd season.

A bad knee that had relegated him to "somewhat of a part-time player" led him to Monday's announcement. Part-time player simply wasn't a role the future Hall of Famer wanted to fill.

A 10-time all-star during his career, Yzerman was named to the NHL's all-rookie team in 1984, won the Lester B. Pearson Award honouring the league MVP as voted by his peers in 1989, the Conn Smythe Trophy honouring the playoff MVP in 1998 and helped Canada win gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

Yzerman was 18 when he joined the Red Wings in 1983. He has been Detroit's captain since 1986, making him the longest-serving captain in league history.

"I've enjoyed my career immensely here in Detroit," he said. "We've been through a lot together. There's no place to play that you get this kind of treatment and respect and adulation."

Yzerman thanked everyone from past teammates and coaches to the media, but he saved his strongest sentiments for Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, senior vice-president Jimmy Devellano and GM Ken Holland.

All have been with the team since Yzerman was selected fourth overall in the 1983 draft.

"We had very lofty goals ..... and I feel good in that we've accomplished a lot of the things we talked about 20 years ago," he said.

Yzerman also thanked wife Lisa and their three daughters for continued support and bringing "perspective" to his life.

News of his retirement drew praise from all corners of the hockey world.

"With his leadership and determination, with his devotion to the team concept, with his refusal to accept anything less than the best, Steve Yzerman became the symbol of the Detroit Red Wings' standard of excellence in the modern era," said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

Added Wayne Gretzky, the league's all-time leading scorer and a contemporary of Yzerman's: "(He) was a tremendous hockey player who epitomized everything good about our game. He loved the game and played with passion every night."

Major knee surgery limited Yzerman to 16 games in 2002-03, but he came back the following season to score 18 goals and 33 assists in 75 games. He managed 14 goals and 20 assists in 61 games last season despite tearing muscles three times.

One of Detroit's most popular pro athletes, the soft-spoken Yzerman is the Red Wings' all-time leader in playoff scoring. He ranks first in assists and second only to Howe in games played, goals and points in the regular season.

Yzerman's 1,755 points put him sixth all-time.

The captain's true impact wasn't made on the stats page. Yzerman's tremendous will to win and dedication to his team made him one of the top players of his generation.

"I've wanted to be in the NHL since I was a little kid," he said. "It's all I've ever wanted to do."

After scoring 62 goals in 1990, Yzerman gradually and unselfishly traded in gaudy statistics amassed with an all-out offensive style for a two-way role to help the team get ahead. The transformation would eventually lead to his selection as the NHL's best defensive forward in 2000.

He paid a physical price through the years. He required surgery in 1994 to remove a herniated disc from his neck.

He was barely able to skate when Detroit won its last championship in 2002. He required osteotomy surgery for knee realignment, and he missed most of the following season, returning to win the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for perseverance and sportsmanship.

Yzerman suffered a terrible eye injury during the 2004 playoffs. He didn't want that to be his goodbye and, after the lockout wiped out the 2004-2005 season, he devoted himself to one more season. He helped the Red Wings finish first overall.

Yzerman missed two playoff games this spring with a rib injury, and first-round elimination to the Edmonton Oilers was a huge disappointment.

"He's been a courageous competitor," coach Mike Babcock said after losing Game 7 of the series. "He probably shouldn't have played but he perceives this as his team and he wanted to lead them."

It is time for Yzerman to give his body a break.

His No. 19 will be the sixth jersey to be retired in Joe Louis Arena, and he'll be an automatic pick for the Hockey Hall of Fame when the three-year waiting period expires in 2009

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pronger - Ducks And More

Burke is at it again. Pulled off another large deal to bring Chris Pronger to Anaheim. This definately makes the Ducks a superpower on the back line.

The Edmonton Oilers honored Pronger's request for a trade Monday, sending the big defenseman to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for right wing Joffrey Lupul, an Edmonton native, top-notch defensive prospect Ladislav Smid, a first-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a conditional first-round selection and a second-round selection in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Crazy deal. Teams in Canucks conference are again getting stronger. Should be a tight race AGAIN. The Canucks have done well to secure the Sedins, but Carter still hangs in the balance.

It appears that Anson Carter's days as a Vancouver Canuck might be coming to an end.

The two sides are reportedly about a million dollars apart on a new deal.

"I think they have spent all their money," Carter's agent Pat Brisson told TSN.

St. Louis - Weight, Guerin, Hinote, McKee
Chicago - Still turds. signed Lalime
Nashville - Arnott, Lehtonen
Calgary - Tanguay
Edmonton - Lupal, but the loss of Pronger might hurt.
Minnesota - Demitra, Johnsson
Anaheim - Pronger
Dallas - ?? IN trouble unless they make some moves
Los Angeles - McAuley, Blake, Thornton, (But no Demitra)
Phoenix - Jovo

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: What's Next?

Arnott & Lehtonen to Nashville hurts. They were decent last year, but this could catapult them into the top rung.

You sort of have to hope Colorado and Dallas take a shite this year, because as you go through the conference, there isn't much room for error. Christ, LA and Pheonix are right there to move into the playoff picture too.

Standings at the end of the year: http://www.nhl.com/standings/20052006/conference_standings.html .

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: RUUTU

The Canucks obviously had some grit to spare. Ruutu signed with the Penguins.

Add another winger to the Canucks list of vacancies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No loss there. He'd cost $1-1.5m, plus he's a dirty little SOB. You can bring up a Canadian kid from the farm to inject the same energy level as Ruttu, and take as many stupid penalties.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
No loss there. He'd cost $1-1.5m, plus he's a dirty little SOB. You can bring up a Canadian kid from the farm to inject the same energy level as Ruttu, and take as many stupid penalties.

But can he ride pine as well as Ruttu;)

Nobody looks as good as he does in the press box

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Six of One,

Throw a dart. Anywhere. This is no big loss. Losing Matt Cook would be a loss, but I don't even think Ruttu's teammates like him.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't agree Dude. We probably let him go so that we could find the money to pay Linden another 1.5 mill per year to do whatever it is he does well.

Ruutu cut down on his (dumb)penalty minutes this year, can skate, has pretty good hands and decent fists as well. Penguins got a bargain. Cooke and his 5 foot 6 frame cannot be expected to do it all himself. Maybe that's where Linden comes in. :eek:

Any way you slice it...

subtracting Jovo, Bert, Allen, Auld, Ruutu, Baumgartner, and Crawford from the mix

while only adding Luongo, Mitchell, Bourdon and Vigneault...the Canucks will be far worse than they were last year.

Dave NOBis. He's right up there with Jake Milford.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dial 9-1-1 said:
subtracting Jovo, Bert, Allen, Auld, Ruutu, Baumgartner, and Crawford from the mix

You forgot the subtraction of Carney, Weinrich, Probably Carter.

I hope Nonis has something up his sleeve or Luongo will have to score for us as well.

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dial 9-1-1 said:
I don't agree Dude. We probably let him go so that we could find the money to pay Linden another 1.5 mill per year to do whatever it is he does well.

Ruutu cut down on his (dumb)penalty minutes this year, can skate, has pretty good hands and decent fists as well. Penguins got a bargain. Cooke and his 5 foot 6 frame cannot be expected to do it all himself. Maybe that's where Linden comes in. :eek:

Any way you slice it...

while only adding Luongo, Mitchell, Bourdon and Vigneault...the Canucks will be far worse than they were last year.

Dave NOBis. He's right up there with Jake Milford.
-Didn't Barnaby just sign in Dallas for $625K, and Roenick in Phoenix for the same amount Ruutu got. I'd say Pittsburgh got pwned. No way I'd want Ruutu here for that $$$.

-I thought it was common knowledge that "NOBis" didn't pick up the option on Linden's contract.

-4 days into free agency and well over 3 months away from our first game and the Canucks are worse than last year.

-Dial 911 = typical Canuck fan. Don't tell me you're one of those guys calling in radio talk shows saying that they miss Auld.:rolleyes:

I agree that on paper the Canucks currently look like garbage but there is obviously more transactions to come with our vacant roster spots.

Under the salary cap system I think excellent scouting and drafting is vital to have a successful organization, because when top players leave due to them being unaffordable, younger and cheaper prospects have to fill the void. Unfortunately the Canucks scouting is average at best, but next year we have to hope Bourdon, Bieksa, Krajicek, Kesler and Reid can all prove to be respectable NHLers or it could be a frustrating season.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

LSD said:
-
Under the salary cap system I think excellent scouting and drafting is vital to have a successful organization, .

Average at Best? who the **** is the guy they took 1st round this season. He was not even ON the top 30 charts of TSN, ESPN or any of the newspapers. He must be a real sleeper!

Anyhow, Hopefully they can move Cloutier (Probably closer to the season startup when teams get more desperate) and free up that 2.5million for sombody.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0