Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL 2006/07 - Preseason banter and signings

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: What's Next?

Dude said:
Sub...do you happen to have a list showing free agents still about?

Cloutier to LA for a 2nd round Draft Pick and a Conditional Pick. I thought the Sieve was worth a player in return, but perhaps its more of a salary dump than anything else.

SPACEK Signs with Buffalo - July 5 12:42PM.

Dude:

Yes, this site is pretty up to date: FREE AGENTS JULY 5

Some of the notables: Bondra, Recchi, V. Kozlov, P. Sykora, Hasek, V. Varada, E. Desjardins, Jason Allison, Belfour, Marchment, Jan Hrdina, B. Shannahan, R. Dvorak, Sampsonov,,

Wonder what Shanny would want to come play in Vancouver? Most of the remaing UFA's are complete no-names, old timers, or allready-been-canucks.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

How do I get in on this Canucks wife swapping party at the Roxy you speak of?

You're green with envy w/ regards to my hair. It's people like you that make life interesting...always trying to knock others off their pedestals, like those with coifs blessed by God.

You have my sympathies, and well wishes.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
Sandman,

How is your line-up significantly different to what we had most of last year?

Let's review...

Jovo: out for the bulk of the season
Salo: out for 1/3 of the season, including critical playoff run
Ohlund: out for a short spell after Olympic break
Allen: at one point our #1 defenseman (shutter)

Like him or not, Mitchell was only good enough to shut down Todd Bertuzzi during the 'Nucks / Wild series a few seasons back, and as I recall, this was Berts "Big Year" that earned him the big raise. Again, like it or not, Mitchell is rated highly by many a GM out there, and there has not been a bit of chatter about the 'Nucks over paying for him. Likely, he's been had at a hometown deal.

Given what we had in the back last year, given the marginal goaltending provided by Auld, given that our top guys weren't exactly lighting it up, and given that Noonis isn't close to being finished, I don't see how actually improving the goaltending and becomming more defensive back there won't win the 'Nucks at least 5-10 more points, which should get them in the playoffs.

Christ...Noonis has actually shaken up this team, which was badly needed. Naslund will be back...healthy, and very likely playing like he has something to prove. Same w/ Morison. By the end of this, they will likely add a decent enough scorrer to allow the second line to produce at the same clip as Carter did.

So, relax. The team sucked last year, full stop. Bert out of the room is addition by subtraction. Part of the recent moves/signings is you get a much better goaltender, and an upgrade from Allen. Throw in a healthy Salo, and Bourdon, and you actually have the making of a solid defense.

Besides, Ohlund not being able to handle Iginla isn't exactly a problem exclusive to him...Iggy is a pretty tough package to contain.

So does that mean that Sandman is on crack, too?

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: TEAM COMPARISONS - Signings

Here is some more raw data to chew on. This is a list showing the team, ammount of payroll committed and # of players signed. Only teams that matter to Vancouver were compared.

VANCOUVER 33.7 MILLION 10 PLAYERS
CHICAGO 20.1 MILLION 10 PLAYERS
COLUMBUS 27 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
DETROIT 32.6 MILLION 15 PLAYERS
NASHVILLE 25 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
ST. LOUIS 25 MILLION 16 PLAYERS (TONS OF CAP LEFT)
CALGARY 36.9 MILLION 20 PLAYERS (AMAZING)
COLORADO 33.3 MILLION 16 PLAYERS
EDMONTON 22.4 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
MINNESOTA 26.5 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
ANAHEIM 33 MILLION 16 PLAYERS
DALLAS 39 MILLION 21 PLAYERS (Basically Spent)
LOS ANGELES 31.2 MILLION 17 PLAYERS
PHOENIX 33.5 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
SJ SHARKS 31.7 MILLION 15 PLAYERS

Summary?

The teams with the highest payroll so far: DALLAS, VANCOUVER, PHOENIX, CALGARY

The teams with the most players signed: DALLAS, CALGARY, LA

The teams with the fewest: Vancouver, Chicago

I am gritting my teeth waiting to see how Nonis corrects this and gets us 10 more players for 6-8 Million Dollars.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: TEAM COMPARISONS - Signings

suburbanator said:
Here is some more raw data to chew on. This is a list showing the team, ammount of payroll committed and # of players signed. Only teams that matter to Vancouver were compared.

VANCOUVER 33.7 MILLION 10 PLAYERS
CHICAGO 20.1 MILLION 10 PLAYERS
COLUMBUS 27 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
DETROIT 32.6 MILLION 15 PLAYERS
NASHVILLE 25 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
ST. LOUIS 25 MILLION 16 PLAYERS (TONS OF CAP LEFT)
CALGARY 36.9 MILLION 20 PLAYERS (AMAZING)
COLORADO 33.3 MILLION 16 PLAYERS
MINNESOTA 26.5 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
ANAHEIM 33 MILLION 16 PLAYERS
DALLAS 39 MILLION 21 PLAYERS (Basically Spent)
LOS ANGELES 31.2 MILLION 17 PLAYERS
PHOENIX 33.5 MILLION 14 PLAYERS
SJ SHARKS 31.7 MILLION 15 PLAYERS

Summary?

The teams with the highest payroll so far: DALLAS, VANCOUVER, PHOENIX, CALGARY

The teams with the most players signed: DALLAS, CALGARY, LA

The teams with the fewest: Vancouver, Chicago

I am gritting my teeth waiting to see how Nonis corrects this and gets us 10 more players for 6-8 Million Dollars.

Sub...
Not that I needed any more ammo against, NOBis, but thanks anyways!

Who knows...maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of those puffy cheeks of his.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

That's scary, too.

If you break down the average player salary, Calgary ($1.85m) has done an amazing job. Edmonton too ($1.6m). SL sits the best, as far as room to play with.

If you look at these teams, the succesfull teams did it by mixing vets w/ untested (cheap) youth.

So, I remain, as always, optimistic. Let's see how these figures look end of September, when it matters.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Speaking of panic buttons, Dial, you need to change your Avatar to one (after you come down).

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

If someone with credibility said I was on crack - I'd be disappointed.

not disappointedsandman

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
Speaking of panic buttons, Dial, you need to change your Avatar to one (after you come down).

Never mind his Avatar, I see something else that he should change...

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:

I'll be ok in three years when Crawford comes back as GM.

All this team needed was a third line that could score. That's it! I'm not sure they have one line that can right now. In fact, I'm not sure they have one complete line.

I'm thinking of having a panic button wearing rose-coloured lenses as my avatar. It will be a morphed pic of Dave Nonis and Dude.

Dude...only someone on crack could be excited about the Canucks next year. What do you think they are going to get with 10 million considering they still have half a team to sign? The irony....do you see it? Dude, the irony?

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hold up. We would be in the same prediciment (salarywise) had we kept Bert and signed Jovo. The twins still would have had a raise and there would be no room for Carter. Though I agree I'm not too optomistic considering our stupid division keeps getting stronger.

Could we ask that Burke go to Long Island or something, **** Pronger leaves the Oil, and ... stays in the same division, super.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

canuckboy said:
Hold up. We would be in the same prediciment had we kept Bert and signed Jovo. The twins still would have had a raise and there would be no room for Carter. Though I agree I'm not too optomistic considering our stupid division keeps getting stronger.

Could we ask that Burke go to Long Island or something, **** Pronger leaves the Oil, and ... stays in the same division, super.

Fair enough, CB... In truth, Jovo wasn't going to come back to Van since he got caught humping someone other than his wife about a year ago and was told that by his wife that he was not coming back. Then again, if you believe all the rumours you hear in this town, Messier humped Bure and Cloutier killed someone in his Porche.

I still think that the twins could have been signed for a lot less since a) this was their breakout year and they have been overpaid the past 5 years and b) they are a package deal. Not a whole lot of bargaining power on their part since they won't agree to being separated and are going to cost some team 8 mill to sign both of them.

Nonis bent over for them like Kirk Mclean's wife did for Jeff Brown. If you believe the rumours, of course.

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: NHL Free-agency! Who is signing where?

well he is gone and i'm happy although I think the nucks could have done better than just get a couple of picks, but its about the future and this is a good start.

by the way "Cloutier, 30, joined the Vancouver Canucks by trade from Tampa Bay in 2001. In 13 games played during the 2005-06, Cloutier posted a record of 8-3-1 a 3.17 GAA and a .892."

please don't ever tell me he is great, yes yes he won 8 games, but did he really, I think w/ a GAA like that, its all the team and not him

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Cloutier traded to Kings for draft picks

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) - The Los Angeles Kings made another move in their rebuilding process Wednesday, acquiring goaltender Dan Cloutier from the Vancouver Canucks for two draft picks.

Cloutier played in only 13 games with the Canucks, recording an 8-3-1 record with a 3.17 goals-against average, before sustaining a season-ending knee injury in a game at Anaheim on Nov. 20.

Before that, he was the first goalie in franchise history to post three straight 30-win seasons.

Cloutier said he was looking forward to making a fresh start in Tinseltown.

''I'm looking forward to it,'' Cloutier said Wednesday night in a conference call. ''I think it's gonna be good for me. I'd been in Vancouver for a few years now. I think it was good timing for a change of scenery.''

Kings general manager Dean Lombardi believes Cloutier will provide the Kings with something they had been lacking - a solid starting netminder.

''I think it's important to have an established goaltender,'' said Lombardi. ''I think some of his best hockey's ahead of him. This kid's a competitor.''

The Canucks will receive a second-round draft choice next year and a conditional selection in the 2009 draft depending on whether the Kings can re-sign Cloutier, who is under contract for next season at $2.55 million US. He can become an unrestricted free agent after that.

Cloutier received medical clearance to resume practising with Vancouver late in the regular season, and could have played in the playoffs, but the Canucks lost six of their last eight games to miss out by three points.

Cloutier became expendable when Vancouver acquired star goaltender Roberto Luongo from Florida last month, and signed him to a $27-million, four-year contract.

''I think Dan's a top-15 goaltender in the league, and when he's on top of his game, he's better than that,'' Canucks GM Dave Nonis said on a conference call.

Cloutier thanked Nonis for expediting the process after the acquisition of Luongo.

''Obviously he could have waited longer,'' said Cloutier. ''But I talked to him right after they made the trade, and I asked them personally that if I was going to be moved, to do it quickly, and he did do that.''

Cloutier began his NHL career with the New York Rangers in 1997 and played for Tampa Bay before being acquired by the Canucks during the 2000-01 season. He had his best season in the 2003-04 season with the Canucks, going 33-21-6 with a 2.27 goals-against average in 60 games.

He was 31-22-5 with a 2.43 goals-against average in 62 games in the 2001-02 season, and 33-16-7 with a 2.42 goals-against average in 57 games in the 2002-03 season.

Spacek leaves Edmonton to join Sabres
Flames sign Tanguay and Friesen
Coyotes like the smell of what Laraque is cooking so much, they sign him!

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Not as many big names moving today but the free agent pool is getting smaller and smaller. Here are the highlights of todays action:

Boston Bruins Agreed to terms with center Mark Mowers

Calgary Flames Signed goaltender Jamie McLennan

Edmonton Oilers Agreed to terms with defenseman Daniel Tjarnqvist

Carolina Hurricanes Agreed to terms with defenseman Glen Wesley on a one-year contract.

Montreal Canadiens Re-signed center Mike Ribeiro and defenseman Jean-Philippe Cote to one-year contracts.

Philadelphia Flyers Re-signed center R.J. Umberger to a two-year contract.

Tampa Bay Lightning Re-signed left wing Ruslan Fedotenko to a one-year contract; signed defenseman Doug Janik, who had been with the Buffalo Sabres, to a two-way contract.

Washington Capitals Signed defenseman Sasha Pokulok.

Columbus Blue Jackets Signed goaltender Ty Conklin and defenseman Tomas Kloucek to two-way contracts.

Minnesota Wild Signed right wing Branko Radivojevic, who had been with the Philadelphia Flyers; re-signed left wing Derek Boogaard.

A team 1040 Caller today pointed out that there will be more players available shortly as arbitration cases are heard. Many of these players will be on the trading block if they are awarded too much money for their respective teams. This does little to help the Canucks who don't have any money to spend.

Some good news? Nobody has jumped in and signed Carter yet, perhaps he will realize that he is worth about 2.2 on a short term deal, NOT 3.5.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Maybe Leif Rohlin will come back to the Nuck's And Jason Doig will make the Canucks this season, and win his first Norris trophy, along with Loungo's Vezina, King's Rocket Richard Trophy, Naslund's Art Ross and Hart, and Reid's Lady Byng as they break the Redwings record of 62 wins in a season and sweep there way to the Stanley cup final..................Then I woke up.:rolleyes:

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: CARTER

Heard a good interview today with the LA Kings Manager. When asked if the Kings were interested in Carter he responded with something to the effect of "We have other interests at this time. Anson Carter should appreciate what he's got in Vancouver, how much he needs the Sedins and the how much the Sedin's need him."

Note To Carter : Come out of the clouds

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0