Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL Merger Rumour - Abby & Central City

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a parent from CCB I can tell you, Colin, that there are a great many who are NOT buying into this and CCB on some levels will not have the players to "offer" the Mariners as they originally thought that they would. SU and SF will likely have an influx of players from this club requesting to be evaluated for their BCSPL teams and not for CCB/Mariners' team. This of course will cause many more troubles within those clubs as they go about having to likely relocate many of their own players who will no longer "make the cut".

While the merger looks good on paper without a doubt, the club has indeed shot down HPL for the entire year and suddenly is all "for it" once again, ending many of the metro teams' seasons early in order to "fill" the HPL teams with their club players. Personally I feel as though they kept their strongest teams at the metro level in order to have a group of "poster children" to advertise and use to facilitate a merger that allowed them to be a majority stakeholder in the HPL franchise and indeed they have accomplished that.

I can assure you they have more questions than answers and the political stench has left many parents reeling. At the end of the day the kids want to play soccer and many that should have always been at the BCSPL level will now be playing at that level, in many cases, outside of the CCB/Mariners franchise and THAT is putting kids first - allowing them to play and be challenged at the level they always should have been playing at with or without the support the their "club" and THEY are the ones that step on that pitch and leave it all on the field and they can finally now, despite a year of politics, be put first. The way it always should have always been.

Very well said soccermom, we're on the same page.

...and no TTP'ers, we're not a couple....unless my wife is posting on here now without my knowledge??

;)

Sep 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am asking this question as a parent from outside Surrey/Delta. Is it reasonable to expect that there are that many CCB and SFC players currently playing Metro/Selects to "bump off" current SU and SF HPL players AND field a re-constituted MFM team?

Not reasonable at all on the girls side.

SU and SF will likely have an influx of players from this club requesting to be evaluated for their BCSPL teams and not for CCB/Mariners' team. This of course will cause many more troubles within those clubs as they go about having to likely relocate many of their own players who will no longer "make the cut".

Maybe on the boys side. On the girls side the "contracts" have been signed sealed and delivered with the key players locked up which I figure to at least 14 players on a 16 player roster for most of the teams.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is good to see that soccerdad and soccermom are on the same page on the Abby Central City merger issue.

SOCCERMOM2

Nov 21, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU and SF will likely have an influx of players from this club requesting to be evaluated for their BCSPL teams and not for CCB/Mariners' team. This of course will cause many more troubles within those clubs as they go about having to likely relocate many of their own players who will no longer "make the cut".

This is exactly what is happening, the ripple effect has truly just begun. Completely reasonable for these kids to go looking for evaluations by other HPL teams from other clubs when their own club has no answers and the Mariners still "know nothing" according to their own parents...

Outwest

Apr 11, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Always a crisis in the little world of "elite soccer", if only we spent as much time worrying about their math homework and literary skills imagine what might happen...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccermom,

I have to say your posts are well thought out and written, even with the obvious bite.

I also agree the politics have been stinky on this from day one, as well as the badly thought out business plan (on the BCPL level, anyways). I have been critical of the BCPL plan in general from day 1, and still am. I've said it before and will say it again- until the league finds a way to subsidize the lions share of the costs now being sought from players / their families, the league will never truly be the BCPL they envision.

Most people know I'm involved w/ CCBFC, but only as a U-10 Girls coach who came over on the merger w/ the Breakers. My involvement begins and ends w/ loyalty to the girls I coach. Last year I strongly entertained moving the team over to Surrey United due to my strong dislike of the outwardly strong political stench of CCFC. I didn't like the idea of growth through acquisition / political maneuvering. I decided to stay the course due to the efforts of some key people on the Breakers side, and my respect for those individuals. I saw something beyond the politics in these people, that they were going about accepting the merger and working with it for the right intentions. I have to say, now 1/2 a season in, I'm generally pleased with what we've been able to gain through the merger...we've sent on a few girls to development, got some new (green) girls placed w/ us that have fit in very well and are getting a lot better, and we have prime fields available for training that we never had before. The access to facilities is great, as well as the access to development coaches.

So, that's where I come from. The BCPL doesn't affect us yet, but I have to say, this newest merger HAD to be done for the long term benefit of the club. My feelings on the BCPL aside, and my dislike for the political smelliness, the club really had to get themselves affiliated in order to continue to foster organic growth to the highest levels. Otherwise, like it or not, the club would simply be a feeder club to others, and that is not in line w/ their goals. Let's also not kid ourselves...the end loser here will probably be MMFM, so far as location. I know it was stated somewhere that the BCPL teams will be located somewhere "Neutral", but in reality, I'm sure that eventually the home training grounds will be moved closest to the bulk of the talent. What can't be argued is that CCBFC does have is talent, and if they are selected to the squads on merit alone, they balance of talent will likely shift to be a lot closer to Newton that anyone thinks.

A bigger issue to creep out of this will be money. Bettermiror (or whatever handle he runs under now) always challenges me to put forth examples of players that have turned down BCPL opportunities due to financial reasons. In fact, there are several I have learned of that have had no choice but to go back to Metro due to financial reasons. The merger to gain direct access to BCPL, however, had to be done. There will always be people at the club that will strongly object to how it was done. I can totally understand why, especially if you have kids able to play at that level that were either perceived to be, or in reality, treated as pawns. That being said, think of the timeline…it has been barely a year since the RFPs went out for BCPL franchises, and look at the changes in the club since then. It’s staggering growth in a very short timeline. So, I get the frustration, but it had to be done. What the players (or, parents who control the players) end up doing is their business, but I suspect that for every kids who’s parents move them to another club out of anger, there is another kid right behind him or her ready to fill the spot.

It may not be pretty, but it had to be done, and I suspect that the balance of talent will dramatically shift towards Newton as a result. What this should do is help those other areas under the umbrella to step up their game and their development, too.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccermom,

I have to say your posts are well thought out and written, even with the obvious bite.

I also agree the politics have been stinky on this from day one, as well as the badly thought out business plan (on the BCPL level, anyways). I have been critical of the BCPL plan in general from day 1, and still am. I've said it before and will say it again- until the league finds a way to subsidize the lions share of the costs now being sought from players / their families, the league will never truly be the BCPL they envision.

Most people know I'm involved w/ CCBFC, but only as a U-10 Girls coach who came over on the merger w/ the Breakers. My involvement begins and ends w/ loyalty to the girls I coach. Last year I strongly entertained moving the team over to Surrey United due to my strong dislike of the outwardly strong political stench of CCFC. I didn't like the idea of growth through acquisition / political maneuvering. I decided to stay the course due to the efforts of some key people on the Breakers side, and my respect for those individuals. I saw something beyond the politics in these people, that they were going about accepting the merger and working with it for the right intentions. I have to say, now 1/2 a season in, I'm generally pleased with what we've been able to gain through the merger...we've sent on a few girls to development, got some new (green) girls placed w/ us that have fit in very well and are getting a lot better, and we have prime fields available for training that we never had before. The access to facilities is great, as well as the access to development coaches.

So, that's where I come from. The BCPL doesn't affect us yet, but I have to say, this newest merger HAD to be done for the long term benefit of the club. My feelings on the BCPL aside, and my dislike for the political smelliness, the club really had to get themselves affiliated in order to continue to foster organic growth to the highest levels. Otherwise, like it or not, the club would simply be a feeder club to others, and that is not in line w/ their goals. Let's also not kid ourselves...the end loser here will probably be MMFM, so far as location. I know it was stated somewhere that the BCPL teams will be located somewhere "Neutral", but in reality, I'm sure that eventually the home training grounds will be moved closest to the bulk of the talent. What can't be argued is that CCBFC does have is talent, and if they are selected to the squads on merit alone, they balance of talent will likely shift to be a lot closer to Newton that anyone thinks.

A bigger issue to creep out of this will be money. Bettermiror (or whatever handle he runs under now) always challenges me to put forth examples of players that have turned down BCPL opportunities due to financial reasons. In fact, there are several I have learned of that have had no choice but to go back to Metro due to financial reasons. The merger to gain direct access to BCPL, however, had to be done. There will always be people at the club that will strongly object to how it was done. I can totally understand why, especially if you have kids able to play at that level that were either perceived to be, or in reality, treated as pawns. That being said, think of the timeline…it has been barely a year since the RFPs went out for BCPL franchises, and look at the changes in the club since then. It’s staggering growth in a very short timeline. So, I get the frustration, but it had to be done. What the players (or, parents who control the players) end up doing is their business, but I suspect that for every kids who’s parents move them to another club out of anger, there is another kid right behind him or her ready to fill the spot.

It may not be pretty, but it had to be done, and I suspect that the balance of talent will dramatically shift towards Newton as a result. What this should do is help those other areas under the umbrella to step up their game and their development, too.

As always the question remains: Do all the players get the same level of "service" for the increase in fees? There are just not enough sophisticated coaches to cover all these teams across all the Clubs.

They should have brought this initiative in at U13 and U14 only and let the U15 and above move through the old system. Focus could them have been on a smaller sample, less stress on our shallow pool of coaches worth this type of money and more time spent on getting all the details right.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As always the question remains: Do all the players get the same level of "service" for the increase in fees? There are just not enough sophisticated coaches to cover all these teams across all the Clubs.

They should have brought this initiative in at U13 and U14 only and let the U15 and above move through the old system. Focus could them have been on a smaller sample, less stress on our shallow pool of coaches worth this type of money and more time spent on getting all the details right.

Agree with you on a whole lot of levels about BCPL shortcomings. Long and short of it is that it is being force fed to us, and hopefully the flaws all get worked out. In concept, it was needed. I didn't like the roll-out, didn't like the short-sighted plan, and didn't like the force feed. That being said, it's here, and here to stay by the looks of it, so the clubs have to plan forward w/ it in mind. The club I'm currently involved with recognized this and made the move. In my mind, they had to do it.

My concern is this right now (BCPL) is setting up to be another failed Provincial Team, with the same issues that held that program back from truly developing and sending on players to the highest levels they can achieve.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My concern is this right now (BCPL) is setting up to be another failed Provincial Team, with the same issues that held that program back from truly developing and sending on players to the highest levels they can achieve.

Very disappointing. If the Whitecaps are to do their job well, they would be best to help dissolve this program as well as the NTC. Same people, same results.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccermom,

Excellent post Dude .The guys at ccb/sfc have worked extremely hard both on the admin side and on the field to turn this joint club around.Their efforts will bring success on the field at all leage levels. The local players will now have the option of playing for 3 bcpl clubs in Surrey. I am also proud of the fact that 8 players from my USSL team Liverpool were selected to play in bcpl U13 :
Surrey Utd- 5
Fusion- 2
South Fraser- 1

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still a bit befuddled on why the surrey-based club couldn't have just been a supporting partner with a closer BCPL franchise?

Why the need for a "merger"?

If Abby can't make a go of it, pull the franchise and do a RFP call for a new one.

The integrity of the BCPL is at stake here and if the BOG doesn't address this issue head on, you will see groups such as TSS that have money coming out of the ying-yang buying up franchises.

:D

glonq

Sep 4, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's no worries in math. It's as simple as "get good grades or you don't get to play soccer".

If my kids' Surrey school quadrupled their fees and then decided to merge with an Abbotsford school and force me to drive them out there twice a week for math classes, THEN I'd worry about math.

glonq

Sep 4, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Abby can't make a go of it, pull the franchise and do a RFP call for a new one.
The existing franchises get to vote on where new franchises pop up, and there's no way that Semi or Surrey U would allow a new franchise near their territory.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still a bit befuddled on why the surrey-based club couldn't have just been a supporting partner with a closer BCPL franchise?

Why the need for a "merger"?

The integrity of the BCPL is at stake here and if the BOG doesn't address this issue head on, you will see groups such as TSS that have money coming out of the ying-yang buying up franchises.

Regs, when did you become my banker?

and what is a ying yang? Maybe thats where my money is.;)

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

My Lotto Max wish list:

1. Kick-ass house
2. Lambo & Ferrari
3. BCSPL Franchise
4. Condo in Maui
5. Condo in Whistler
6. Big ass boat

A

AMA

The existing franchises get to vote on where new franchises pop up, and there's no way that Semi or Surrey U would allow a new franchise near their territory.

Why all the jealousy guys ? The merger is confirmed by both clubs CCBFC and Mariners .Anyone SF or Su can vote or do whatever they wish but the merger is signed and sealed.

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why all the jealousy guys ? The merger is confirmed by both clubs CCBFC and Mariners .Anyone SF or Su can vote or do whatever they wish but the merger is signed and sealed.

AMA, are you saying the BOG have approved the transaction or they don't need to be involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0