Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL Merger Rumour - Abby & Central City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can no longer see any mention of a merger on the MFMFC website so they have either buried it on there else it has been removed, which may be a clue for the clarification that is to follow from BC.
Just came to post the same thing :)

It isn't buried, it's been deleted completely as the link to the PDF from google 404s.

I'm hearing the other franchises are not very happy with the what has been happening...

~Standingbyagrassyknoll

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just came to post the same thing :)

It isn't buried, it's been deleted completely as the link to the PDF from google 404s.

I'm hearing the other franchises are not very happy with the what has been happening...

~Standingbyagrassyknoll

Sources tell me its dead. The cartel has intervened. Shame really. So much for the new "business" like model.

This isnt about adding partners to your franchise, this is about territory and again, nothing to do with quality of programming. If this was Hope FC joining Magnuson, no one would care. Control, control, control. And because of this approach, we will continue to spin our wheels in the world of youth development. Sad:(

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sources tell me its dead. The cartel has intervened. Shame really. So much for the new "business" like model.

This isnt about adding partners to your franchise, this is about territory and again, nothing to do with quality of programming. If this was Hope FC joining Magnuson, no one would care. Control, control, control. And because of this approach, we will continue to spin our wheels in the world of youth development. Sad:(

If true, this would be so bad. :(

CCB must have really pissed off someone on Water St.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If true, this would be so bad. :(

CCB must have really pissed off someone on Water St.

I dont think this is about CCB. This could have been North Delta and Surdel joining Magnuson Ford( or Sportstown FC for that matter). This is about geography plain and simple.

These are the days I galdly go back into my world of private commercial enterprise and have a nice glass of red wine....

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dont think this is about CCB. This could have been North Delta and Surdel joining Magnuson Ford( or Sportstown FC for that matter). This is about geography plain and simple.

ahhhhh.....there's more to it than that guys, the 'backlash' was from as much internal than it was external I suspect.

It isn't a good thing though and although I've had my beefs with some things CCB since the whole BCPL came on the scene, it doesn't make me happy to see it go down like this.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

ahhhhh.....there's more to it than that guys, the 'backlash' was from as much internal than it was external I suspect.

It isn't a good thing though and although I've had my beefs with some things CCB since the whole BCPL came on the scene, it doesn't make me happy to see it go down like this.

Maybe Soccerdad, but your location suggests that maybe you are not quite in favour at pointing blame in the direction of the current Surrey franchises for this falling apart? :D

Michele

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
here's to 15 hour work / BCSPL BOG days...

BC will be "clarifying" the merger situation in print forthwith, by the end of the week no doubt... I dont mean to leave people hanging, but I'm simply not at liberty to say anymore on the topic... I wont be on here again until tommorrow night at the earliest...

Colin is right that some of us involved in the league do keep an eye on the blog. As it happens, I was very critical of the process used to initiate the league, and voiced concerns over pricing and access issues. I was not exactly mr. popular with the bigwigs at the outset.

That ship has sailed. We can continue to beat a dead horse or try to move forward in a constructive way. I can assure that the others "inside the tent" are very aware of the challenges these issues present, and that the BOG is doing what it can to alleviate them.

to djones' point about the NTC and provincial programs - without commenting on the merit of your position, remember that all of that programming comes directly from the CSA... in a sense, at the end of the day BC's technical staff take their marching orders from Toronto...

So are the minutes from these BOG meetings available on BC Soccer? Are you suggesting BC Soccer will post a message on the BCSPL under news? I would say that from what I have heard this could all have been avoided had one of the clubs included their own executive in their decision making and not made a decision alone, had they also consulted with this BOG as you call it, it would have been less underhanded. Is the BOG a representative from each of the eight clubs?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Much of the league documents are available on the league website; as for the BOG minutes, I dont know if they are posted or not. The eight member franchises have access to them; beyond that I cannot say.

Yes, the BOG is one person from each of the eight franchises. I am the rep from MUFC...

BC will be posting the singular response to the issues as from the BOG perspective.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still not really getting it. So the "merger" doesn't go through, if the Abby team is lacking players, what is stopping players from Surrey driving out and filling spots? What difference does it make if CCB isn't 100% affiliated with the club?

Michele

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Much of the league documents are available on the league website; as for the BOG minutes, I dont know if they are posted or not. The eight member franchises have access to them; beyond that I cannot say.

Yes, the BOG is one person from each of the eight franchises. I am the rep from MUFC...

BC will be posting the singular response to the issues as from the BOG perspective.

On a lighter note, BOG is quite an unfortunate name really but I pity you being up until the small hours addressing all this but I am sure your club appreciates it!

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe Soccerdad, but your location suggests that maybe you are not quite in favour at pointing blame in the direction of the current Surrey franchises for this falling apart? :D

perhaps but I'm not privy to any of those behind the scene goings on so I couldn't really comment.

I don't imagine though that they were planning a party to welcome the newly formed club no...

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
perhaps but I'm not privy to any of those behind the scene goings on so I couldn't really comment.

I don't imagine though that they were planning a party to welcome the newly formed club no...

I am sure there would have been some resistance on this internally from Magnuson Ford Membership but it would not have killed it off. That happened externally.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still not really getting it. So the "merger" doesn't go through, if the Abby team is lacking players, what is stopping players from Surrey driving out and filling spots? What difference does it make if CCB isn't 100% affiliated with the club?

Control, control, control. Or at least in this instance, input and acknowledgement

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Control on the part of CCB internally or control on the part of the BCPL BOG?

If Abby needs propping up, why are they not approaching and working with North Fraser?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Control on the part of CCB internally or control on the part of the BCPL BOG?

If Abby needs propping up, why are they not approaching and working with North Fraser?

Why North Fraser? you are back on geography now. That is what we have been trying to get away from for decades!!! But of course that model has been working incredibly well, lets just keep it going!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow...nothing shocks me anymore, and in the back of my mind I was wondering if the press release was pre-mature. I'd like to find out what happened...was it a matter of due process / procedure not being properly followed? I.e.: the various club executives not getting a vote, or passing a proper vote? Again...I can understand that the CCFC & MMF executives would have been eager to send out the release, but can't believe it was done without all due diligence having taken place, and double checking to make sure proper due process was followed. Where’s the red herring?

I'm disappointed, from the perspective of what appears to be politics getting in the way of progression. I told certain people on the board and on the coaching staff that I thought the merger was an excellent move- needed to be done. Am I surprised that it crumbled? No. Soccer out here is so bloody political. As a community, we can't seem to make any good decisions to help ourselves. A CCBFC merger- IMO- would only serve to help increase the quality of output at all the other clubs involved in the franchise. That's what happens when you bring in a better player on any given team- it usually makes the teammates around him or her better. Same applies in business when you bring in a proven performer or merge companies- the cream rises to the top in all other areas. This scenario is no different and IMO the same would apply. The other clubs would be forced to improve internally to get up to the standard CCBFC has built themselves up to. You can say whatever you want about the way CCBFC have conducted themselves outwardly- and I am a big critic, and do not like the way they conduct themselves in meetings and on this board (NAP, others who claim no affiliation but clearly sit high up). The results on the pitch speak for themselves, and the focus on quality at NAP and CAP on training nights is evident. The technical staff is present, accountable, and in it to develop. At the end of the day, that is how I judge performance: on results. Maybe I too am too closely tied to the business world…because in my world, you win, or you lose. The grey area in the middle where politics seems to live and prosper means very little to me. I have absolutely no political motivation in this (I could very well be coaching in Langley instead next year simply because the commute is killing me…I have so few hours for coaching outside my work life as it is), I just like to see progression.

No shocked but disappointed- and anyone hoping to see progression in the BCPL model should be.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why North Fraser? you are back on geography now. That is what we have been trying to get away from for decades!!! But of course that model has been working incredibly well, lets just keep it going!
You didn't answer the question regarding control...

Why exactly is Abby in need of a "merger"? Facilities? Coaches? Money? Surely it can't be players unless there is a mass "protest" by families in the area of the franchise with regard to the current executive structure which if that were the case, I go by my original statement that the franchise should be pulled and an RFP sent out.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow...nothing shocks me anymore, and in the back of my mind I was wondering if the press release was pre-mature. I'd like to find out what happened...was it a matter of due process / procedure not being properly followed? I.e.: the various club executives not getting a vote, or passing a proper vote? Again...I can understand that the CCFC & MMF executives would have been eager to send out the release, but can't believe it was done without all due diligence having taken place, and double checking to make sure proper due process was followed. Where’s the red herring?

I'm disappointed, from the perspective of what appears to be politics getting in the way of progression. I told certain people on the board and on the coaching staff that I thought the merger was an excellent move- needed to be done. Am I surprised that it crumbled? No. Soccer out here is so bloody political. As a community, we can't seem to make any good decisions to help ourselves. A CCBFC merger- IMO- would only serve to help increase the quality of output at all the other clubs involved in the franchise. That's what happens when you bring in a better player on any given team- it usually makes the teammates around him or her better. Same applies in business when you bring in a proven performer or merge companies- the cream rises to the top in all other areas. This scenario is no different and IMO the same would apply. The other clubs would be forced to improve internally to get up to the standard CCBFC has built themselves up to. You can say whatever you want about the way CCBFC have conducted themselves outwardly- and I am a big critic, and do not like the way they conduct themselves in meetings and on this board (NAP, others who claim no affiliation but clearly sit high up). The results on the pitch speak for themselves, and the focus on quality at NAP and CAP on training nights is evident. The technical staff is present, accountable, and in it to develop. At the end of the day, that is how I judge performance: on results. Maybe I too am too closely tied to the business world…because in my world, you win, or you lose. The grey area in the middle where politics seems to live and prosper means very little to me. I have absolutely no political motivation in this (I could very well be coaching in Langley instead next year simply because the commute is killing me…I have so few hours for coaching outside my work life as it is), I just like to see progression.

No shocked but disappointed- and anyone hoping to see progression in the BCPL model should be.

Well said Dude. One problem is there is no process in place. As I keep saying, make it up as you go along.

Here is another problem moving forward:

We are in the PCSL( over 75 years running). The Board Members have no affiliation to league teams. arms length. Decisions are made on behalf of the league. Two years ago, we joined the league after putting on a presentation at the AGM. Well after the deadline, Vancouver FC approached the league to put in teams. The league contacted me ( out of courtesy not obligation) to see if i felt that their presence would impact our ability to field a competitive team as we were in similar locations. I told them I embraced the competition and that I felt that the product put out by these two organisations should be the underlying factor here, not geography. The league agreed and we moved forward.

The BCPL Board is made up of one person from each franchise. Decisions, like it or not, will be impacted by the individual teams needs and wants. Do you actually beleive there will be expansion in the future in this league in the lowermainland corridor( which is really where the bulk of Clubs and players are- so in fact that is where it should occur) when these teams control the decision making? Not a chance

This is the silly part about this. It is borderless soccer, but in fact it is just as controlled as the former system.

Magnuson Ford recognized they struggle to compete. They went out to solve that problem in a new league that really has no process or rules that would suggest this was the wrong direction to take. What are the lower mainland teams concerned about? Losing players !!!!!

Like BC Soccer proposing a motion to deny access to "Premier Cup" for two years so only BCPL teams can represent British Columbia at Nationals( by the way, imo, the cheesiest thing they have done in regards to this new league) this is just another part of what is really a cartel in the elite youth soccer world here locally.

Let the game be played on grass, not on paper. What is everyone so scared of?

BTW-Vancouver FC is no longer placing teams in the PCSL.....:)

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You didn't answer the question regarding control...

Why exactly is Abby in need of a "merger"? Facilities? Coaches? Money? Surely it can't be players unless there is a mass "protest" by families in the area of the franchise with regard to the current executive structure which if that were the case, I go by my original statement that the franchise should be pulled and an RFP sent out.

Control in this instance refers to CCB having a role in the decision making of the entity. Otherwise why would they send players from their organisation over there?

A new RFP? Ha! See my last post. The only new franchise that the BOG would add would have to be in Nelson!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone explain to me how this merger was to be progression for the whole of BC Soccer?

By all accounts, you have 1 partner in the BCPL going rogue on all the others and for what reason?

Forget CCB for moment and ask why a founding franchise member is in the need of doing this in a manner that flies in the face of what they signed up for? Why does it appear that only a select few in the Mariners franchise knew anything about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0