Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL Founding Franchises

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The main difference I see is that they have stayed within their club to select their coaches........they have chose coaches who have a very good track record and don't necessarily have the 'highest coaching levels' according to the books. We all know that coaches with the highest level AREN't ALWAYS the best coaches. The coaches they selected are very good experienced coaches. In some other cases, they have chosen 'name' coaches who people are familiar with but might not have a lot of experience coaching. That's the main difference I would say, Soccerdad. I could be wrong but that is my observation as a neutral with no franchise affiliation.

Canadian Spur

Mar 4, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The main difference I see is that they have stayed within their club to select their coaches........they have chose coaches who have a very good track record and don't necessarily have the 'highest coaching levels' according to the books. We all know that coaches with the highest level AREN't ALWAYS the best coaches. The coaches they selected are very good experienced coaches. In some other cases, they have chosen 'name' coaches who people are familiar with but might not have a lot of experience coaching. That's the main difference I would say, Soccerdad. I could be wrong but that is my observation as a neutral with no franchise affiliation.

I don't know the coaches in question so this is not a comment on their ability but if we are getting the same coaches as before at a higher price...how is this good?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without getting into the costs, doesn't this promote getting more good coaches into positions where they can be more effective?

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain you are smarter than that. They take guys they know. It is same coaches from select. Nothing new. Coaching is going to stay the same. Only one possitive thing is. Kids will end up playing only one sport due to costs, we might see few better players in three years due to HPL streaming. More politcs will be in the sport. Winning is going the main factor or kids will go to better clubs. I realy feal sorrey for some coaches first year. In my opinion it is going to be hell of a place to coach. Friends will have to be told your child can not play this level. He or she just does not have the pace or size.
For little money they will get in many eyes it is not worth it. I wish them luck. I still think few more NTC's would benifit kids more.

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few questions that I don't think I've seen answers for:

In this first year, it's only a mini season from Sept. to Oct., so after the teams are selected in April what will then happen for the next 4 months until the "season" begins? Is it going to be constant training with exibition games against the other HPL teams that then become "league" games in Sept., or is there going to be time off before getting into it in August?

When the end of October comes and the HPL is done, where do the kids go to play that have no desire to return to the HPL the following spring? The 2nd Tier, Gold teams, whatever they end up being called, have had all their roster spots filled since this spring so the way I see it you will have good players with no where to go until the following season. Sure, some coaches will transfer in a player, but if you have a roster of 15 players, are you going to go to 18 if 3 players are available? Not fair to the kids on the bottom end of the roster that have been there for 3 or more months already if you do. I'm assuming the kids that are enthused by and skillful enough for the HPL will continue training in that environment leading up to the 2012 season.

The last question would be if a kid plays winter ball (Sept. /11-Apr. /12), and then decides to go play HPL in the spring of 2012, he/she then has to quit their team just as the cup games are approaching. What the fukc is with that?

Anybody have the answers?

Thanks, SF

rose

Mar 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

In this first year, it's only a mini season from Sept. to Oct., so after the teams are selected in April what will then happen for the next 4 months until the "season" begins? Is it going to be constant training with exibition games against the other HPL teams that then become "league" games in Sept., or is there going to be time off before getting into it in August?

When the end of October comes and the HPL is done, where do the kids go to play that have no desire to return to the HPL the following spring? The 2nd Tier, Gold teams, whatever they end up being called, have had all their roster spots filled since this spring so the way I see it you will have good players with no where to go until the following season. Sure, some coaches will transfer in a player, but if you have a roster of 15 players, are you going to go to 18 if 3 players are available? Not fair to the kids on the bottom end of the roster that have been there for 3 or more months already if you do. I'm assuming the kids that are enthused by and skillful enough for the HPL will continue training in that environment leading up to the 2012 season.

The last question would be if a kid plays winter ball (Sept. /11-Apr. /12), and then decides to go play HPL in the spring of 2012, he/she then has to quit their team just as the cup games are approaching. What the fukc is with that?

Thanks, SF

rose

Mar 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fox, I'm thinking that if I'm going to dish out around $1,000 for less than 3 months training (sept to Nov mini-season) my kid better not be wishy-washy...
Secondly, if my kid is a dominant Gold player or legitimate Selects player then he would be playing y-league (or provincial team) in the period between evaluations for HPL and the actual season in September. This is the sort of player HPL is geared for...and cash won't hurt either.
Lastly, you have not been following some of the previous posts re:timelines and reassessments in november. You cannot decide to play HPL in the spring of 2012 after 'winter ball'. You either make it now-march/april OR in November if there is any re-assessment done. HPL is supposed to be about development anyways-who cares about Coastal 'b' cup if your (HPL) kid is going to put you through your retirement years with his first pro contract??

Your point about a second tier kid losing his spot to a kid who was 'brought down' is a valid one. However they said originally that tier 2-metro/selects would exist for this purpose...move up and down with permits but only during the portion of the season that overlaps. Currently you have until mid-January to change teams.

Redernek

Feb 20, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey SF,

There’s an answer looming out there and you may get the one one you want, but it certainly won't come from those responsible for this clusterduck.

“Ah thanks for trying out, your kid qualifies...pay up sucker. Well ya that’s what it costs and yes, for that amount of money we get to tell your twelve year old she can play only soccer...isn’t that cool? Yes, clearly she’s athletic...I see here she’s also a baseball player, likes volleyball, basketball...listen here, don’t you think it’s time your 6th grader decides what sport she’s going to excel at? Doesn’t matter that she’s been elite for the last two years, from now on you have to pay for that status. Yes, those four kids were gold two or three somewhere last season, but we have spots to fill because not everyone has fallen for that whole ‘HPL is your child’s pathway to greatness’ thing. Now they are the elite players (despite the bench warming) because, their parents paid. Why yes that is the coach from one of the most dismal teams last season...but he’s much better now cause he’s an HPL coach and he gets paid. Yep, HPL baby...you want your daughter to make the big show, sing up and pay. Ya there’s still metro, but you shouldn't believe the rumors of a team or two able to kick the snot out of every HPL side in the same division. That’ll never happen...you know why? The High Price League only plays with itself...playing metro girls is beneath us."

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey SF,

There’s an answer looming out there and you may get the one one you want, but it certainly won't come from those responsible for this clusterduck.

“Ah thanks for trying out, your kid qualifies...pay up sucker. Well ya that’s what it costs and yes, for that amount of money we get to tell your twelve year old she can play only soccer...isn’t that cool? Yes, clearly she’s athletic...I see here she’s also a baseball player, likes volleyball, basketball...listen here, don’t you think it’s time your 6th grader decides what sport she’s going to excel at? Doesn’t matter that she’s been elite for the last two years, from now on you have to pay for that status. Yes, those four kids were gold two or three somewhere last season, but we have spots to fill because not everyone has fallen for that whole ‘HPL is your child’s pathway to greatness’ thing. Now they are the elite players (despite the bench warming) because, their parents paid. Why yes that is the coach from one of the most dismal teams last season...but he’s much better now cause he’s an HPL coach and he gets paid. Yep, HPL baby...you want your daughter to make the big show, sing up and pay. Ya there’s still metro, but you shouldn't believe the rumors of a team or two able to kick the snot out of every HPL side in the same division. That’ll never happen...you know why? The High Price League only plays with itself...playing metro girls is beneath us."

I swear I was just dreaming of printing the same thing:D

Cheers!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not going to be popular with this but it sounds like some have kids that really shouldn't be thinking about HPL/BCPL anyways... regardless of any cost issues.

An elite player, in my mind, not only has the physical skills but also the mental skills and drive to succeed. If kids want to play other sports, that's great, no problem but understand that at some point in life, choices need to be made. Look at all the hockey players out there who played soccer growing up and had to make the choice between hockey and soccer (the Sedins come to mind here)... I think it is about time that we start to really cater to these elite athletes and make the choices harder for them to NOT choose soccer.

geezer

Aug 9, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys Development is great, but the chances of your kid standing out amoust the 1% of players that get paid to play is minute. Yes it is great to win trophies etc... but footy is about so much more... Just improve, play this beautiful game as it should be played let your children be children and enjoy the game. If you can afford that league play in it if not play in another. If your child is a messi the game will find him/her. Stop with the pressure it lessens the pleasure, happy players are the most productive! Don't worry when the child is an adult they will get serious enough anyway.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elite players should not be required to pay exhorbitant amounts of money to play. Quite the opposite really. If you are elite, you should be taken care of by the club. That's the European model, no??? Just sayin.

:bronco:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not going to be popular with this but it sounds like some have kids that really shouldn't be thinking about HPL/BCPL anyways... regardless of any cost issues.

An elite player, in my mind, not only has the physical skills but also the mental skills and drive to succeed. If kids want to play other sports, that's great, no problem but understand that at some point in life, choices need to be made. Look at all the hockey players out there who played soccer growing up and had to make the choice between hockey and soccer (the Sedins come to mind here)... I think it is about time that we start to really cater to these elite athletes and make the choices harder for them to NOT choose soccer.

Agree 100%, but what you're missing is that a lot of parents do see that this is just a game, and that maybe this league mostly will benefit only the best of the HPL group. What they are saying is that maybe the game is not that important in the big scheme of their lives IF it costs what it does, and maybe they simply will not encourage their kid to go for it. See, the reality is that when the cash is involved, the kid doesn't have the final say.

If it's elite, treat them as such. Remove the dollar barrier to entry, and do it right. Make them accountable to the program, not the other way around.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Thanks, SF

Who are you and what have you done with my good mate?
Good points Killer...surprising out of you...:D

My kid wants to play HPL.
That's his choice and mine to support it.
If he wanted to play house that would be fine with me but I will do whatever it takes to make him happy.
I don't know if he'll make it though - No idea.
Which would be fine by me, play Selects then.
Or, gold, silver, bronze, house, whatever as I said.

What happens if he makes it and gets cut next year?
He loses out by not being able to drop down?
Interesting...that would be hard on my kid I think.

I'm one of the guys on Dude's team who wouldn't have a problem sticking with the regular season as I'm not too keen on losing my summer this season in Y-League or next year with HPL.
My promise was to both my boys that golf and waterskiing would be their summer sports of choice every weekend if it doesn't happen...:cool:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Elite players should not be required to pay exhorbitant amounts of money to play. Quite the opposite really. If you are elite, you should be taken care of by the club. That's the European model, no??? Just sayin.

:bronco:

Yes, Bronco, and that is what the Whitecaps are doing........forking lots of money into supporting this elite league...........wait a minute.........:confused:

:rolleyes:

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who are you and what have you done with my good mate?
Good points Killer...surprising out of you...:D

Yes Frase, my head was pounding for hours afterwards...........:D

I just don't think there will be enough elite players to fill out the rosters in my opinion. The SYL League is watered down so will it not be the same in HPL? I only have one kid still playing youth soccer and she is winding up her U16 Gold year. She also plays Rep A softball in the summer, so from a personal standpoint, this new league is moot!!

Best of luck to those involved with the HPL, you might need it!

SF

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fox, if she is going to choose Rep A softball over BCPL then that is the better choice for both organizations. Softball gets a solely focused player, and she isn't taking a spot from a kid truly dedicated to elite soccer - whether that player is as good as your daughter is insignificant. Elite sports, no matter the sport, should only have the players in them that truly want that sport to be there focus....say after the age of ...... 15? (yes, this is up for debate).

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU BCPL has released further info on their initial structure:

Overview

For those with ADD, the cost for a player in the inaugural season is:

$2150

This includes the "mini" season and the first season in 2012 - it also includes player kit.

Cheers,

Regs.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0