Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL Founding Franchises

cassis

Dec 1, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few questions that I don't think I've seen answers for:

In this first year, it's only a mini season from Sept. to Oct., so after the teams are selected in April what will then happen for the next 4 months until the "season" begins? Is it going to be constant training with exibition games against the other HPL teams that then become "league" games in Sept., or is there going to be time off before getting into it in August?

When the end of October comes and the HPL is done, where do the kids go to play that have no desire to return to the HPL the following spring? The 2nd Tier, Gold teams, whatever they end up being called, have had all their roster spots filled since this spring so the way I see it you will have good players with no where to go until the following season. Sure, some coaches will transfer in a player, but if you have a roster of 15 players, are you going to go to 18 if 3 players are available? Not fair to the kids on the bottom end of the roster that have been there for 3 or more months already if you do. I'm assuming the kids that are enthused by and skillful enough for the HPL will continue training in that environment leading up to the 2012 season.

The last question would be if a kid plays winter ball (Sept. /11-Apr. /12), and then decides to go play HPL in the spring of 2012, he/she then has to quit their team just as the cup games are approaching. What the fukc is with that?

Anybody have the answers?

Thanks, SF

There is no formal BCPL programming between the evaluations (starting now) and the start of the mini-season in the fall. However, (a) players are free to register with a spring/summer team such as SYL or academies (indeed, CMF is having their incoming U13s play in U12 SYL); (b) players may have been selected to the PTP or to Whitecaps teams; (c) PL teams may choose to begin training); (d) players are free to take some time off and recharge their batteries.

Once the mini-season ends (in November actually), the HPL Committee periodization plan calls for a mandatory break between the end of one season and the start of next and between competition phases 1 and 2 so no, kids that are enthused etc will not necessarily continue training. If a player does not wish to continue with the BCPL, they would have the option of playing in a lower-tiered league. Under that scenario, it is reasonable to assume that for each player dropping out of the BCPL, a lower-tiered player will be taking his/her place. Assuming Rule 23 isn't involved (it will be in some cases), the MSL-exiting player will leave a gap which the BCPL-exiting player could presumably fill (and vice versa). There will not be 100% correlation of course but it should keep the logistical issues to a minimum. Tier 2 and BCPL clubs and teams will have to be in synch with regards to this player movement (but then there should be on-going communication anyway to keep the player identification process rolling along). As to the timing, MSL leagues typically go quiet for 4 weeks or so over Christmas and then start up in the new year at about the same time that BCPL tryouts commence. The exiting BCPL player may miss some weeks of soccer yes but it is not an inordinate amount of time.

It is unlikely that a player will be permitted to complete their MSL season and then, prior to cup play, join a BCPL team. For starters, the evaluations for BCPL happen in Jan-Feb. Pre-Season starts the 2nd week of Feb and the regular season begins March 1. A player would have move up to the BCPL long before April. In addition, playing for such a period of time goes against the spirit/policy of the mandatory transition periods. There are going to have to be rules in place about the movement from one league to another to avoid players from playing 12 months of the year (which the periodization plan was designed to prevent) but, like everything else in this post, such issues, while being discussed now, are not finalized.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cassis SYL than HPL than indoor soccer than HPL season again. HPL is all year round. Bag full of money needed. The better the soccer school the higher the fee. I am gad I do not need to go through this. Many guys I know are not even willing to try out.
Gold and high silver soccer is way cheeper and more fun. We will able to to Keg for a lunch too. What the heck. It is all bout kicking the ball.

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting that these questions of player movement were asked last fall and all we heard from Steve Allen and the rest of the committee was "don't worry about it" Why delay this league for all the next team Canada players for the sake of everyone else?
Now we are hearing it for the U18's and the U17's. Don't worry the powers that be will take of it. And if they don't oh well.

Keep askling the questions SF, lots of people are with again no answers.

Build it and they will come...???

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As far as I know, within the next day or so.

I'm hearing elsewhere that apparently there will now be a U17 division along with a U18 division that only plays until July - finally some common sense on that issue.

I would think this means everyone needs to come up with 2 more coaches (1 for each gender).

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I suggest just having your adult program coaches take the u18's under their wing and coach them for that half-season. No new coaches needed. Or ask your u17 coach to coach both the u17 and u18 teams. Lots of different ways to solve this issue - it's a pretty much non-issue. As it is only half a season....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Adult program coaches, in my experience, do not really have any coaching credentials. That's not to say they can't coach but their strengths can hardly be classified in the developmental category :)

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seems to me there are lots of unanswered questions out there amongst the parents of soccer players,both boys and girls. I think the pressure to do well is more on the boys as they stand to actually,possibly,make a living from their soccer skill where as the girls are mainly looking for a chance to get a good scholarship. Here's a question....if these HPL/BCPL (whatever you call this new "bank") are suppose to have all the "elite" youngsters....why are not all the "coaches" made to have all the same level of certification?? Why are they not ALL paid the same in every club?? Why does the start of this new (HPL/BCPL) seem to be just winging it together as it goes?? Aw yes...I know...BC Soccer decided this was best for the kids.....don't ask for parents opinions...after all...we only pay to have our kids play the sport in the first place....

Cheers!

awwwww....just love stirring the pot!!!!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are all the teachers at Private Schools paid the same?

Are all teachers within a private school, such as Holy Cross, paid the same?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some updates for SU BCPL:

Cost for U/18 is $1450

Costs (for all age groups) includes 2 trips to Okanagan & Victoria with a $30 food allowance per road trip

Player Kit Allowance (a $250 value) includes Track Suit, 2 pairs of Shorts, 3 pairs of Socks, 2 Training Tops, & a Backpack

Overview

rose

Mar 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs...teachers everywhere are paid according to university degree and years of experience...public or private

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
His point being that the public sector model doesn't apply here, that is, until the program beomes 100% subsidized by the public purse. Right now it isn't. Each franchise is it's own not-for-profit society (as I understand the model), and only accountable to it's own executive and membership.

This is strictly a supply / demand issue

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will be helping to evaluate 5 year old girls at my daughter's new soccer club tomorrow morning for approximately one hour and 15 minutes. Given the new landscape of coaching in youth soccer, you better believe her club will be getting a hefty invoice for my services, especially since I will most likely be hungover.

One game of frozen tag could net me as much as $45.

And we are off to the World Cup.

:cool:

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scottyshell: the answers are hiding in your epic moustash.

Hey....I know your guys admired my stash but...Burt Reynolds????..The guy has no hair!..Liked it better when a player from PA Rangers said I looked like Johnny Holmes.....I wish!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To continue the positivity that seems to permeate this forum now... :rolleyes:

Don't know exactly what this will mean but it sounds good...

EA SPORTS TO BE BC SOCCER PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE SPONSOR

March 11, 2011
Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and BC Soccer, in conjunction with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, today announced EA SPORTS™ as title sponsor of the newly-formed EA SPORTS BC Soccer Premier League.

“EA SPORTS is a great partner that supports the development of our sport at all levels,” said Whitecaps FC chief executive officer Paul Barber. “We are pleased to help bring together EA SPORTS and BC Soccer. Combined, we’ll form an integrated team that will collaborate to create the most effective soccer development programs in Canada.”

Through this partnership, EA SPORTS will provide venue, brand and technological support to the Premier League, including access to facilities at their EA Canada campus in Burnaby. In addition, EA SPORTS will work together with BC Soccer and the Premier League to engage stakeholders and continue the growth of soccer throughout British Columbia.

“The game of soccer is woven into the fabric of our studio and our team,” said Matt Bilbey, Vice President and GM of Soccer, EA SPORTS. “Through our relationship with BC Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps FC, we will be able to share our passion for the sport and inspire the youth that play in British Columbia.”

The EA SPORTS BC Soccer Premier League will support player development through increased competition for top soccer athletes. Eight founding franchises representing more than 80 per cent of the BC population were announced last month. The first full season of competition will begin in March 2012, and will feature divisions at the U-13, U-14, U-15, U-16, and U-17/U-18 levels.
Competition will continue through November. In fall 2011, a “mini-season” will run from September through November to prepare for the full season commencing in March 2012. Details about the fall 2011 schedule will be released in the coming months.

“We are looking forward to building the EA SPORTS BC Soccer Premier League in partnership with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, our founding franchises, and, indeed, all members of the BC soccer community,” said Steve Allen, BC Soccer Director and Chair of the BCSPL Committee.
“EA SPORTS has a long track record of successful product launches, unparalleled growth, and like BC Soccer, believes in the universal passion of our global game. We couldn’t ask for better partners to help us get this new league off the ground,” added BC Soccer executive director Bjorn Osieck.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0