Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL Founding Franchises

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The successful bids are to be announced today I believe.

Here's my predictions:

Okanagan
Vancouver Island
Coquitlam Metro Ford
Surrey United
South Fraser
Richmond/Vancouver
Surrey FC
Burnaby/North Shore

---

Actual winning bids:

Abbotsford Soccer Association;
Burnaby/ North Shore;
Coquitlam Metro Ford Soccer Club;
Lower Island Soccer Association/Upper Island Soccer Association (Vancouver Island);
South Fraser Soccer Club;
Surrey United Soccer Club;
Thompson Okanagan Football Club;
Vancouver/Richmond.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
BCSA has made it known they want regional representation. I don't expect then to see Surrey United, Surrey FC, and South Fraser all get spots.

Replace Surrey FC or South Fraser with Abby or Pitt/GEU.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Regs...Abbotsford will be shut out........

Ah, but also if that is the case than Okanagan has to be denied entry and likely Victoria as well. Neither have been competitive in SYL or "A" Cup/Metro for quite some time....barring the u16 Kelowna "A" cup win last year.

Either they want strictly competitive teams OR they want regional representation....can't have both.

You all are also forgetting all of the university, international, and adult programs, as well as sponsorship money Abby has - which BCSA made clear they want part of the application and development pathway (they didn't indicate sponsorship obviously). IE, they want somewhere for these kids to go and be pushed-on beyond 17 years of age.

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah, but also if that is the case than Okanagan has to be denied entry and likely Victoria as well. Neither have been competitive in SYL or "A" Cup/Metro for quite some time....barring the u16 Kelowna "A" cup win last year.

Either they want strictly competitive teams OR they want regional representation....can't have both.

wowa wowa...

granted LISA has had some modest successes in Metro (mainly on the girls side), on the boys side a little less success. UVI has not had much in the top 3-5 rankings.

As for SuperY, the Island has had a bit more success (if measured by the amount of teams going to Florida), notably two seasons ago.

Any transition from one operating model to another brings risks and challenges. Organizationally I think LISA is well situated since they have the back office experience to form and run their franchise. As for the product on the field, I'd venture to say the Interior may have a better product since the season change favours their development model.

Frankly it would be wrong to use a wide paintbrush for any of the applicants at this stage, we'll need two years of HPL and Tier2 to even be able to say if the operating structure supported the objectives.

However, I will be interested to see what happens to the first applicant that does not live up to the 'team in each age group' requirement!

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear what you're saying but regardless of whether Abby get's one or doesn't, it won't be losing out or winning over the Island or Okanagan bids.

Got to have that regional representation in those areas or if one doesn't feel there is sufficient talent there, then it is the APPEARANCE of regional representation.

Either way, pretty sure they gotta have it.

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

You all are also forgetting all of the university, international, and adult programs, as well as sponsorship money Abby has - which BCSA made clear they want part of the application and development pathway (they didn't indicate sponsorship obviously). IE, they want somewhere for these kids to go and be pushed-on beyond 17 years of age.

WRT the Okanagan - I think that through an HPL franchise you would see a much greater coordinated effort to field competitive teams. Where as the LISA operates ONE team in each gender and age group to compete in A Cup the Okanagan (currently) is not ONE entity and any of a number of clubs can choose to compete for A Cup. If the Okanagan were to get the majority of their best players in the same environment we may be surprised by how competitive they can be.

Okanagan SYL faces numerous difficulties...often these players play for BOTH their local club team and the SYL program with 2 or 3 games in a weekend. There are huge barriers to overcome for their SYL program to be truly representative of the Okanagan...an HPL franchise would clearly indicate the "top of the pyramid" for that region and would funnel most of the better players into a single, consistent and year round environment.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bravedart....I'll believe it when I see it re: Okanagan. They've been pushing for SYL to be the top of their pyramid for quite some time and the Okanagan clubs never bought in. Why would HPL be different?

Soccerdad, you made my point. Either it's about having totally competitive/balanced clubs or it is about regional representation. Which is it? HPL is not a BC soccer league. It's an elite soccer league. Regional representation shouldn't matter unless the clubs can compete. If they are all based in one region or many shouldn't factor.

The regions not involved will need to find another way to provide the level of development the players require, and BCSA/CSA will need to put more effort into scouting those places.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bravedart....I'll believe it when I see it re: Okanagan. They've been pushing for SYL to be the top of their pyramid for quite some time and the Okanagan clubs never bought in. Why would HPL be different?

Soccerdad, you made my point. Either it's about having totally competitive/balanced clubs or it is about regional representation. Which is it? HPL is not a BC soccer league. It's an elite soccer league. Regional representation shouldn't matter unless the clubs can compete. If they are all based in one region or many shouldn't factor.

The regions not involved will need to find another way to provide the level of development the players require, and BCSA/CSA will need to put more effort into scouting those places.

I guess in response to "it's about having totally competitive/balanced clubs or it is about regional representation, Which is it?" I get what your'e saying, I would figure that the general thinking could be that the elite players who are currently playing for lower mainland clubs who do not land a HPL franchise can and will get in the car and drive to one. So with the "player first" thinking, it doesn't make a ton of difference if Billy get's to stay where he's been playing or if he needs to drive 30 minutes now to play HPL. Ultimately he will be served.

On the Island and the Okanagan, this isn't really an option.

Now, one might say, "too bad, if there isn't enough talent there isn't enough talent!"

I guess one might hope that with there only being one team in each of these regions that they could at least field ONE very good team in each age group.

Thoughts?

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: HPL/ Tier2 Founding Franchises

The Island is a strange place to compare to that of the Mainland because it is a region from Victoria up to Powell River. A vast geography covered by two districts and combined maybe 16,000 players. Two districts that seem to operate very different development models. (Where are the BCSA DDC guidelines?) At the same time the Island region has (and continues to produce) some great talent that ends up on national teams, Whitecap teams even European teams... so somehow these players are developing and getting recognized.. I would venture to say, likely in the absence of a HPL like structure or even in spite of a Prov team structure!

Discussions are already underway in both UISA:

Upper Island Soccer Association - (Comox, BC) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

and LISA...

LISA Tier 2 Blog (now with some fresh proposals also posted!)

so ideally the Island has to come up with a model that will ensure they remain competitive as the Mainland evolves (both at Tier1, Tier2 and even in development).

A big part of the equation is how Nanaimo Soccer evolves and is integrated into an Island model. It may be relevant that the President of Nanaimo Soccer has stepped down. Maybe it isn't, the timing is interesting.

So between now and April, some concrete plans have to surface so as to be implemented by the Fall.... though it would not be a surprise if the Island maintains another year as in 2010 and waits to see how HPL starts up (not a wise decision imho).

The Island's geography and climate are not about to change, let hope the member clubs are willing to embrace some change and if needed to form some partnerships as is being demonstrated in the lower mainland with HPL!

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NEW BC SOCCER PREMIER LEAGUE LAUNCHED ON THE STRENGTH OF EIGHT FOUNDING FRANCHISES AWARDED TODAY
…new initiative to support player development through increased levels of competition for top soccer athletes spans representation from more than 80 per cent of provincial population
VANCOUVER (Thursday, February 17th, 2011) –Eight founding franchises representing more than 80 per cent of the population of British Columbia will form the inaugural roster of entries in the new BC Soccer Premier League announced today by BC Soccer, its Board of Directors and the High Performance League Committee formed to create the new player development initiative.

The eight founding franchises for the BC Soccer Premier League are:

Abbotsford Soccer Association;
Burnaby/ North Shore;
Coquitlam Metro Ford Soccer Club;
Lower Island Soccer Association/Upper Island Soccer Association (Vancouver Island);
South Fraser Soccer Club;
Surrey United Soccer Club;
Thompson Okanagan Football Club;
Vancouver/Richmond.

“We’re delighted to launch the new BC Soccer Premier League on the strength of these eight founding franchises,” said Steve Allen of Surrey, B.C., the member of the BC Soccer Board of Directors who served as Chair of the HPL Committee comprised of 16 soccer leaders from the club, district and league level in BC. “We’re excited to welcome the eight founding franchises to what will be the top tier of soccer competition in the province and we look forward to working with the franchises and our membership to build the BC Soccer Premier League into something special for the game at all levels.

“Our spirit of intent is to create the best possible conditions for player development and to support Canada’s national team program and strengthen the game throughout BC and across the country,” said Allen. “There is not a better time to be doing that with the support of strong stakeholders such as the Vancouver Whitecaps FC and our membership, especially given the interest, excitement and energy being generated for the game with the debut of the Whitecaps in Major League Soccer and another MLS franchise scheduled for Montreal next year.”

The BC Soccer Premier League will run a pilot mini-season this fall and launch its first full season in March of 2012, when it will immediately take its place among the major provincial sports leagues in British Columbia. Founding franchises in the new league feature clubs serving players in strong BC sports markets such as Vancouver, Chilliwack, Kamloops and Kelowna in the Western Hockey League and BC Hockey League centres such as Alberni Valley, Coquitlam, Cowichan Valley, Langley, Nanaimo, Penticton, Powell River, Salmon Arm, Surrey, Vernon, Victoria and Westside (Kelowna), along with the American Hockey League hub of Abbotsford.

“The BC Soccer Premier League will have a tremendous reach and local presence built on the infrastructure of the founding franchises and will be right up there with the leading provincial platforms in other sports,” noted BC Soccer Executive Director Bjorn Osieck of North Vancouver, B.C. “As an example, in our inaugural year, the league will cover 12 of 16 BCHL markets and four of the six markets synonymous with the WHL’s BC Division.”

The inaugural roster of franchises was accepted by the HPL Committee and submitted to the Board of Directors on recommendations from a selection panel comprised of Paul Barber, CEO of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Canadian Soccer Association U17 national team head coach Sean Fleming and Paul Mullen, Director of Operations for BC Soccer and former executive with the English Football Association (FA).
“This process has created an excitement for the game in our community and throughout the province and we congratulate not only the successful franchises, but all of the applicants for their time, effort and cooperation in putting forward very strong submissions,” said Barber. “With the emergence of the BC Soccer Premier League and the Whitecaps’ launch into Major League Soccer, soccer interest in British Columbia is at an all-time high.”
The HPL committee brought together a series of key player development principles and alignment with competitive platforms across the country. As an example, the playing season for the BC Soccer Premier League, which will feature divisions of play at the U13, U14, U15, U16 and U17/U18 levels, shall be from March to November.

“We thank the HPL committee members, our tripartite selection panel and of course our membership, which has been very supportive and enthusiastic about what this will mean for soccer in BC and over the long term, across Canada,” said Charlie Cuzzetto of Vancouver, President and Chair of the Board of Directors of BC Soccer. “The BC Soccer Premier League is certainly about the top boys and girls players in the province but by creating a new tier of play, it will also help improve the game for all players at all levels.”

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was also 7 for 8. I figured it would be SFC not South Fraser....both would be excellent. I wonder how the Revolution FC teams do this summer now they've lost their top-tier club team.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was also 7 for 8. I figured it would be SFC not South Fraser....both would be excellent. I wonder how the Revolution FC teams do this summer now they've lost their top-tier club team.

your Medal will mail out in 5 to 7 days...

will mr base attend every game?

congrats to all..

good choice with abby.....

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0