Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Rants (and Raves ?)

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
BTW, the reason I've heard for the 1:30 kickoff for the Imperial final is in case Kinsmen is rained out....

Why is it that Peg gets the home game for the Imperial Cup final, why not out at Cloverdale for Slurrey.

On that note, Slurrey has a chance to win the treble this year, with the big win over Sporting last night. I hope I don't jinx them in any of the Cups with that comment, perhaps knvb can give us his take.

Also, are all the new big name Caps singings going to be in the line-up vs. the All-stars on Wed. the 7th, it could be a long night for the boys.

hos

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Going through the Province Sports today and I see a fantastic ad. put in the paper by the BC Rugby Premier League, has the Canadian Direct Insurance Game of the Week. Capilano RFC vs. Meraloma RFC on Saturday.

My question or rant to the VMSL Exects is, why can't we come up with something like this to give some more exposure to our league and the teams in it. I am sure an ad. like this is not going to break the bank, and it will give people a chance to come out and see a half decent game, when they are starved for some sports action with no NHL Hockey.

For this weekend it could be Surrey United vs. Inter. There would be a picture of young Wilson for Surrey and perhaps Kindel for Inter, they are both pretty to look at.
Or the old vets, Dave vs. ??? does Inter have any old vets?

Even if not a lot get out to the games at first, it would give some exposure to the whole VMSL.

Well it sure looks like the BCRPL is going in the right direction.

hos

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
VMSL would need to land a large corporate sponsor to drive this program like the BCRU did. I know that the head dude at Canadian Direct is a UBC Old Boy and has been supporting local rugnby for years.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, the guy behind Canadian Direct Insurance's sponsorship of rugby is near the top of that company.

I know they sponsor some of the visiting games with top clubs coming over here and they have got some good profile for it as these games attract media, fans and especially some tv coverage when the top teams arrive here to play local teams/all-stars.

Rugby seems to be a tighter knit community with clubs supporting the overall game locally which is far different than the soccer community. This is sadly lacking in the game of soccer.

One short story with my rugby experience. I have not been involved with rugby ever but we used to sneak on the field at SFU on rugby practice nights to get an extra session in and rugby guys go out of their way to ensure you can find some place to play and they can do their thing. This occurred even on nights when men and women's teams were out! One of the coaches when he saw us on the side warming up would come over and tell us where we could find some room and go over how they might want us to move to the other end later on. The whole culture of rugby differs including team mixing after games played.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The two sports are night and day wrt their culture. It can be broken down like this:

Rugby players shower after games.
Soccer players don't.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HoS, I would think you and Khalsa would be better representation for an event like this for the simple reason that every time you and khalsa are on the field the final looks like a ruby score.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Half of ICBC are soccer players, get them as a sponsor.

Make it happen Reccos :D

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rugby's very survival is dependant on post-game socializing.
After a game we always go for a drink at the home team's clubhouse and vice versa. It pays the bills and fosters a camraderie rarely found in Soccer.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Rugby's very survival is dependant on post-game socializing.
After a game we always go for a drink at the home team's clubhouse and vice versa. It pays the bills and fosters a camraderie rarely found in Soccer.

I agree with your point that the socail aspect is missed in soccer. However, it is difficult to get teams to allocate a clubhouse nevermind a decent field in Vancouver.

Cheers
JB

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very few teams are allocated a clubhouse JB.

The Muckerlomas had a clubhouse given to them but who in their right mind would want to socialize with them?

If CAT could be made to work in the same manner as Rugby clubs, teams could certainly afford to rent clubhouses. I imagine scheduling would be difficult though. Games should be played on a Saturday with all affiliated teams of one club playing their counterparts from another club. Same home field or park or what have you throughout the day. For example, Saturday 10am Metro Ford Div 2 CAT versus Surrey Utd Div 2 CAT Cloverdale Athletic, Saturday 12pm MF Div 1 CAT versus Surrey Utd CAT Cloverdale Athletic, Saturday 2pm MF Wolves versus Surrey Utd Premier Cloverdale Athletic. All club players support one another by taking in all the games that day either playing or watching or both and afterwards Marty opens up the clubhouse. That way Metro Ford supports Surrey Utd and vice versa on the return.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, but still in question of how many clubhouses that rugby teams have that are actually attached to the field they are playing at?

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It isn't essential that the clubhouse be attached to the home field.

It just has to be located nearby. When I played rugby for PoCoMo our home field was Hume Park and our clubhouse was a large bay in an Industrial Park just past the railway tracks at Brunette and Braid in New West less than a mile away.

It can be done, it's just a matter of organization and will. The benefits are enormous.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
It just has to be located nearby. When I played rugby for PoCoMo our home field was Hume Park and our clubhouse was a large bay in an Industrial Park just past the railway tracks at Brunette and Braid in New West less than a mile away.

Ya, perfectly situated right across from some Country Western bar, for all those Redneck Rugby players.

It would nice for soccer clubs to have Club Houses at or near the pitch, could possibly help the nightmare CAT system, but what teams have the money to buy or rent an old house or warehouse?

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the sounds of it... Indo/Akal, Temple, AFC, Khalsa...

We have a club house, HoS, we just never told you where it was.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
We have a club house, HoS, we just never told you where it was.

Oh, I have seen it knvb, I got scared off by all the syringes that were lying around the entrance.
Not as bad as the Lions Den off of KingGeorge ;)

hos

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re-schedule of Imp Cup

Burnaby-United
I think this is another new low for the decision makers at the VMSL. To postpone a game all the way 'til next week, ultimately fcuking up the entire schedule and confusing the hell out of all as to what is being played and when......just play it mid-week and get it over with!

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Re-schedule of Imp Cup

whataboutbob said:
Burnaby-United
I think this is another new low for the decision makers at the VMSL. To postpone a game all the way 'til next week, ultimately fcuking up the entire schedule and confusing the hell out of all as to what is being played and when......just play it mid-week and get it over with!

I overheard an interesting point made regarding this...

Last year (or the year before) the league wouldnt postpone a game with Indo, when their keeper was seriously injured...yet this year, they postpone a game for the coach's sisters' wedding.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I must say, this is not a good precedent to be setting. I guess if both teams agree, it's not too big a deal, but it does sound a little Mickey Mouse.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby did not agree to change the game, they wanted it at 2pm Saturday, but that was no good for Richmond. You can't make Burnaby play a mid-week game if they can't get all thier guys out, like they would for a Saturday afternoon. It is a bad move by the league, if a team can get a game changed for that, then why can't other teams have games changed in the future for similar reasons. Not good, and the league wanted the winner to play Inter on Sunday after the Saturday game, how would that help Burnaby, the team that is being asked to not play this past weekend because of a wedding. Should be interesting when Burnaby and Richmond meet.

hos

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0