Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Preseason Rumours and Scuttlebutt

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I have stated......

I will not change my stance on this issue. How will it diminish the standard of play? If you have 16/18 players on your list to start a match, would these not be the best 16/18 players you could field on that given day? If so, why can't they all play in the same game? MOST good teams/coaches would field a team that can be replaced at any point in time with a player who is as good as the player he/she is replacing. Right? So if it this is the scenario, why couldn't make changes to get all the players into the game as the coach sees fit? If you're a coach and you happen to have the luxury of having 18 players who could replace one another at any time of a match, would you not want them all to play? I am truly trying to see the other side here, but I can't, especially when it comes to the first/second/third division........ I guess it comes down to "You'll never know until you try".

I can't believe old fcuks like totalbastard would not like this set up. They could go off for 10 minutes to use the oxygen tank and geer themselves up for the remainder of the game, while a player who works his ass off in training, EVERY FCUKING NIGHT, gets the opportunity to play in an important part of the game......

Let's be honest with ourselves here. Most subs are made when the coach feels......

"Good, we are up by 3 goals and we have 2 subs left, so let's put Johnny Dickhead in because we can't lose at this point"

What kind of confidence does this install in a young player? How about fcuking nothing. If the coach was able to say, "

" Johnny, I need you to go in and work your toys off for 15 minutes to give Totalbastard a break, Johnny would go work his ass off, knowing that Totalbastard could not have finished the game without a break....... TB gets to come back again and give away a ball inside his 18 yard box just to keep the goalie occupied, which he did successfully. Now I am starting to understand why TB would not like such a rule change........... :)

Seriously, it would be a positive move to make such a change and I have talked to someone new tonight who offered another view on the issue. He said he was going to post tomorrow(another new TTPer) and give his view on this issue........

Gaffa, I respect you a lot, but I have to disagree with you here.

TB, I have to disagree with you, again.

CDK, stick to betting and don't disagree with again, please.

SuperSubofthemonth

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll show the lot of yous. I could've been a brilliant unlimited sub had anyone the foresight to give me half a chance. But no, out came the 'pink slip'. And I won't play on a team of poofs.

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
unlimited subs...middle ground

Here is a proposal that would probably make everyone happy.

Why don't they increase the number of subs to lets say 8-9. This would allow the coach to make changes that allows everyone to play and not the worry about running out of subs for injuries. Most teams that have extra players at a game usually have 4 or 5 so there would be no problems. The ref would still have some control over sub and no one can field a whole new team at half time.

Being a player who has been on that "it was too close to put you in" side of the game, I feel unlimited subs or the above mentioned would be great. I say this because, if a player sits a number a games and then is thrown into a game situation, that player is by no means prepared to play at thier best regardless of how they practice. Nothing replaces game situation exprience.

BTW. Most coaches would not use all their subs anyways because so many are old school. That whole, you'll disturb the flow garbage. If a player is playing shite then out they go, even if they are the scoring leader, etc.

Biteme..out

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlimited Subs

Bite me,

"Most coaches would not use all their subs anyways because so many are old school. That whole, you'll disturb the flow garbage. If a player is playing shite then out they go, even if they are the scoring leader, etc. "

Spot on mate. There is an assumption that unlimited subs will mean that everyone automatically get even playing time, like most women's teams do. That will not be the case.

Like Subterfuge, I am sticking to my position on this issue. The benefits far outweigh the perceived drawbacks.

I didn't realise there would be so much debate on this subject when I brought it up, but this is great.

Daz

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like the Old-School

Why don't we increase the size of the nets for more goals.

Or make the game 4 quarters like B-Ball for more T.V. commercials.

Why tinker too much with the rules for the greatest game on earth.

Oh, because we are amateurs and every one should have a fair chance to play. We are not 5 where everyone gets a half game.

If your not good enough to play on any of the over a hundred teams in the VMSL then go play beer ball.

What makes Cups like the Imperial great is that any team from 3rd division to Preimier can win with FIFA rules in affect.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
enough is enough...

What's with all this VMSL is beer league crap?

The Surrey Sunday League is beer league... The Burnaby Summer League is beer league... The Richmond Summer League is beer league... The Adult Mixed Soccer League is beer/cooler league.

I know for one, I do not play in the winter because I want to drink. I play because I love the competitive game where winning actually means something. I think most will agree with me, well, at least those you have actually won something or come close to it in the league.

I have to admit I'm very surprised at a few of the posters in this thread and their stance on the issue [including unlimited subs]. I just don't get why people who I thought were for the game of football, are starting to treat it like we view the americans treat hockey.

Instead of trying to change the rules to suit your needs/situation whether it be because you're old, outta shape, or just plain suck, why not work at how you approach the game, build on your skills, and play the game the way it should be played?

~TB.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
News Flash

VANCOUVER BASED WHITECAP PLAYERS, PLAY IN WINTER BEER LEAGUE

Many of the top local players that play for the Vancouver Whitecaps also play with various beer league teams in the Winter to stay in shape.

Some of the up and coming young soccer players of the area also play in these beer leagues before going on to Provincial and National Teams.

News Scoop: Keeper

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Out of control........ AGAIN

I have to admit I'm very surprised at a few of the posters in this thread and their stance on the issue [including unlimited subs]. I just don't get why people who I thought were for the game of football, are starting to treat it like we view the americans treat hockey.

Instead of trying to change the rules to suit your needs/situation whether it be because you're old, outta shape, or just plain suck, why not work at how you approach the game, build on your skills, and play the game the way it should be played?
I have to admit I'm very surprised at a few of the posters in this thread and their stance on the issue(including unimited subs). I just don't get why people who I thought were for the game of football, are starting to treat it like we view the americans treat hockey.

I screwed up the second part but it doesn't matter. TB, why don't you just say you're surprised that everyone doesn't agree with your opinion? How americans and hockey got into this discussion, which quite simply stated that unlimited subs might be a better option, is beyond me.

The only argument I keep hearing, despite being old, fat, and lacking skill, is that it is breaking a tradition that FIFA started God knows how many years ago. Remember when the goalie could only take 4 steps. Remember when players could pass the ball back to the keeper and he could use his hands. These fcuking things have changed for the better of the game. Granted, FIFA will not change the sub rules(nor should they) for professional leagues, but our league could adapt it successfully. There have been a lot good suggestions from TTPers, who believe it or not, don't agree with your humble opinion. No one has suggested that we change the size of the nets(well someone did facetiously), increase the amount of players on the park ( well, Gaffa did facetiously), or even tamper with the size of the ball.

Dazza/Biteme summed it up nicely when they said that coaches would not always play all their players but it certainly would be nice for a coach to know that he has as many options as possible. Remember Johnny Dickhead, the 18 year old who a coach only puts in when the game is out of reach, on way or the other. That would do wonders for a players psyche(sp?), wouldn't it?

So TB, get into shape and start exercising your body like you have your mouth lately and you will be okay for the Vancouver Metro Premier Beer League. I will get my flabby ass ready for the Vancouver Metro Division Two Beer league and we will enjoy ourselves. Having said that, I know I want to win as much as you, if not more, so don't use the whole "if all the players on my team wanted to win as badly as I do......" routine. It is old, like you and I. BTW, have fun in your co-ed wrap-up.

Yours in soccer,

Captain Shamrock

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am sorry

TB,

I am very sorry that I forgot to ask this question.

You mentioned something about playing the game the way it should be played at the end of your post. How should the game be played?

Yours in soccer,

Captain Shamrock

coastal

Jul 31, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlimited Subs

TB quote
and play the game the way it should be played?

TB definition - When last man back, distribute ball to opposition, thereby making the game more exciting for his keeper, fellow players, opponents and fans alike. This will generate a higher interest in our beloved game. But absolutely no umlimited subs!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, Hands of Stone,

Point taken in so far as Premier & U-21's are concerned. However, how do you account for Div 1, 2 and 3?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last Legs for Captain

Captain your stance on trhe VMSL being a beer league due to the fact that you are on your last legs as a player and see the league as simply weekend beer ball.

If however your team was in Premier like they should that you would have a different view.

I do however agrea with you, that small changes do enhance the flow of the game. This in turn makes it more enjoyable for both player and fan.

However, the amount of subs that a coach can use only adds more strategy to an already very stratigic(sp) game.

Where would fitness come in if you could use unlimited subs. Go out and run your bag off then get off the field for 10.

I'm with TB, Play the game the way it was meant or go play indoor soccer with line changes.

HOS~

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

I think you read to much of the old Italian thread on the old page. Is that where you learned how to spoke, and writing?

TR.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ain't Any Good at Spelling...So Sorry

It don't matter if I can't spell as long as my point is taken and understood.
Me don't type very well so sometimes make mistakes, O.K.

TR

If you think that I need a smaller goal, then a would suggest a much smaller field for yourself.
Your fitness is not improving sitting a desk on this thread.

HOS~

Owl

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
subs

I have to admit that when I first arrived on these shores the notion of unlimitied subs was somewhat ridiculous.

However, since I have now experienced both 'systems', if you can call them that, (as player and coach) I have changed my tune.

As a coach, I would be first to admit that Johnny D. will not take the field if subs are an issue unless and until the game is out of reach either way. But I also realise that being fair to the whole team (in not hurting them by putting on a weaker team mate) means being completely unfair to little Johnny. As far as I can tell, by allowing unlimited subs every player wins.

Yes, the game changes. But, in my view, for the better.

There's also the issue of trying to keep any kind of team together for an entire season. This is made very difficult if subs are limited, because a number of fringe players in any big squad will take the chance that they're not going play on any given day, meaning that the team may well end up short. Unlimited subs allows everyone to show up with a reasonable prospect of a game.

To be honest, I see no reason other than 'game delay' arguments that unlimited subs cannot be the norm internationally. It would certainly make for interesting chess matches amongst the coaches.

On a related topic, the thing that pisses me off more than anything is the fact that we have to fill out stupid fcuking sub slips every time we make one.

That was a bit earnest, wasn't it?

I'm obviously not well today.

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
unlimited subs

Sittin back lol at this;

Why not just increase the subs to 7. that's what we use to have in youth( a long time ago for me). Not such a bad idea, and could be beneficial to both sides of this argument. While we are at it? We could also re-introduce the dreaded corner kick rule for deciding cup games. I have fond memories of losing 3 provincial cup games that way.
LOL

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last legs for the last 6 years

Hands of Stone,

I am not quite sure how me being on my last legs comes into this discussion but it has. I will inform you that I have been on my last legs for the last 6 years. No news to me. You mentioned the fitness again. The bottom line for any coach who is in first, second, or third division is promotion, right? So why would he/she carry 22 tubbos and just alternate them. You are completing missing the point and that is why you're siding with TBastard. Fitness is no issue here. I don't want subs just for the sake of players who are on their last legs, like myself I guess. It is for players who show up for training every fcuking week and want to be a part of a team. These players are hopefully fit, or as fit as they can be. You don't just make subs for the sake of making subs. They need to be done with a purpose. There are many reasons for making subs during a game.

Wouldn't it be great if you had a young player and you gave him the opportunity to start in a big game? He was having a rough go of it for whatever reason and you, the coach, know exactly what you can say to him to get him on track. You take him out, and show him where he can improve. You know it would be in the players best interest to get him back in there again. With the limited subs, this is less likely to happen.

If a player goes down with an injury and the ref asks him to leave the field, there could be a problem. Should the coach put a sub in or play with 10 men, which a lot of teams do to see if the player is available to play again. What difference would it make if you put a player in for the injured so the team continues to play at full strength? It would be crappy if your team gave up the winning goal while the coach was deciding if Johhny was okay to go back into the game or not. After all, a lot can happen in one minute during a soccer game.

Yours faithfully on his last legs,

Captain Shamrock

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0