Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Preseason Rumours and Scuttlebutt

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Extremely jealous

Only more stupid than the use of the 'word' stupider .

Having said that, I am just trying distinguish the top league from the rest. Nothing else. So please don't get defensive now, oh great bastard. By the way, you still haven't given a good reason why it should not happen. But I guess you don't need to as you run the site. And if someone disagrees with you and heaven forbid, proves you wrong(which happens most of the time), you just pull the plug on their account. It really is as simple as having unlimited subs.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, you're wrong

95% of the teams in the Metro League are beer league teams. The cooler after the match is just as important as what took place during the match. How many players will stay in the night before every game whether it be premier, 1st, or 2nd division? If it was that important teams would set restrictions on their players before games. It is up to each individual and I personally would NEVER go out and get hammered the night before a game. I don't even do it before a Sunday morning game in Surrey.

So I can assure that Westside's cooler and Club Ireland's cooler will be the same this winter. Westside will definitely have better players on the field but their goal is the same as ours. Win and make sure you enjoy yourself while you're doing it. Let's not kid ourselves and think otherwise.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The century mark

Oh yes, the other 5% you ask? That would be the Under 21 teams who more often than not, are too young to drink. So the cooler is not a big part of their team.

I am glad the 100th post was worth remembering.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, you've obviously never seen the Westside O-30's cooler: it's full of premium beer and 12 year old single malts...actually the Scotch isn't kept in the cooler but you get my point. Ballbaby can attest to this.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlimited Subs

Perhaps the subs should be like at the Canadian Championships - limited to 5 changes during regular and overtime play but unlimited changes at half or just before extra time. That way it is easier for teams to manage the playing time issue and the game isn't bogged down by constant subbing. I really hate it in the summer when teams use the unlimited sub rule to stop the game every 5 seconds during the last 10 minutes. Sure the ref is supposed to add that time on but they usually want to get to the beer cooler faster than the players. So they pretend there never was a stoppage.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Insider has a good solution

I would go for that, Insider. At least it is a step in the right direction........ As for the refs wanting to get to the cooler quicker than the players, you're right. I think the Under 21 league uses that same system, if I'm not mistaken.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Subs

I think the U-21 may use the youth rules of 7 subs and unlimited at half. Actually I'm going to confirm that. There is nothing in the VMSL constitution Regs has posted on this site and I don't have one myself.

I was speaking with a couple teammates tonight and they thought that one way someone might take advantage of an unlimited at half time sub rule by a CAT Club subbing in a whole new 11. One reason that sort of platooning situation doesn't happen in the BC's or the Canadian Championships is they have a maximum roster for each game (not number of signed players). If that number was 18 that would prevent someone from fielding a fresh 11 at the half.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Subs

I've confirmed that the VMSL U-21's have the same sub rules as the rest of the league. I think the Umbro-Whitecaps League has different sub rules and that may be where the confusion lies.

I've submitted the idea of unlimited halftime subs for U-21, Div 3 and Div 2 to Mr.Azzi for his thoughts. I know he is a traditionalist on this issue.

Apparently a proposal for unlimited subs by Club Ireland will be discussed at an upcoming meeting for the U-21 Division teams.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also

I have known Mr. Azzi for a lot of years, as his son David and I played a lot against one another in our days in youth soccer. Let him know that I am VERY pro on this issue and I am sure he will shoot it down that much quicker. :)

coastal

Jul 31, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlimited Substitutions

I have it from unimpeachable sources.
To amend VMSL rules, letter must be received at league office four weeks prior to general meeting.
Motion to amend Section 8 (Substitutions) was presented by Club Ireland U21's and seconded by Westside, in particular to change U21's as this should be development league for VMSL.
Divs 3,2,1 were mentioned as good idea in future to keep players in the VMSL. Both players on their way up and more "experienced" players on way down want to go out Saturday or Sunday and play - not watch.
Mr. Azzi responded that he would not table this motion at the meeting because it would cause big war and that he would resign before he saw the league adopt looser sub rules.
This motion was rescinded in exchange for the discussion to be held at U21 meeting in August for possible change at the U21 level only.
Captains points are noted and appreciated.
With all deference re:competition for playing time on your own team!!!!! What prevents coach/manager from rewarding his committed players with more playing time. He can still play 11 men 90 minutes if he wants. Relaxed substitutions won't change that.
Also, teams that want nothing but wins can play their top 11 every game if they want.
Next point - sub slips slow the game down, not substitutions. the time it takes to present the slips is worse than the substitution.

While this is a league built with good and competitive players, it is still a recreational league for the vast majority. A league does not survive with the 5% elite players. The funds come from the 95%.
Just my opinions.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair point Coastal, but...

...the games a team game, not a 'fcuk off massive great big squad game'. Gone will be the personal one on one battles. Gone, the flow of the game. Gone, the too and fro of personal competition between you and the lads you train with to make the starting 11. We are a recreational league, I agree...not a Mickey Mouse league though. Surely.

More players = better play. Utter bollox. More players just means players of less ability playing at a standard that they're not really good enough to play at. You're just watering the level of the game down with sub standard players. Like Fastshow.

If you're not good enough to make a team and don't want to fight for your spot and aren't prepared to wait your chance as a sub...naff off and play somewhere where you are the 'dog's danglies'.

Don't the lasses leagues play this new free flowing sub at will game...jeezzz fellas...

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck getting a game in Ingerland, Fasty.

Spot-on, Gaffa.

You also make a few good points about the substitutions, as well.;)

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Subterfuge

I have to agree with Regs on this one,unlimited subs will diminish the quality of the play on the field.It will only help unfit fat teams like our Inter squad:D

Coppertone

The only reason Ivan is the beer man is so he has an excuse for not being on time for practises,eventhough he's never missed one in his life.He speaks better Italian than i do!!!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0