Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Preseason Rumours and Scuttlebutt

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, Hey!

Back from my 3 week honeymoon in Italy, took a few days to catch up on the posts (I'm a slow reader). Hup, got marrried so my life is all downhill from here,; all I have left is the crappy forum. Saw AC Milan and Juventus play at San Siro in Milano, so I figure I now know more about football (oh, sorry, soccer, for you inferior lower mainlanders) than everyone else on the forum. So here goes:

Sapperton Rovers - announcements to be made next week. All I can say is Sensei Hanson has no clue what he's talking about.

Ciao!

PS: www.acmilan.it

without a doubt the best football site on the web. download video and audio of all the highlights at San Siro last year.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strong in the Back

Cory has signed with BCFC, adding to the already strong back end for the club. With him added it makes our club one of the strongest defensivly in the Lower Mainland.

Cory and myself in goal; Miller, D-Man, Woody, B.K., and Klinner on the back line.
We are very strong back there, expect less goals against this year than last.:D
With last year being the lowest in the league.

HOS~

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's Mean

knvb

It's not nice to talk about Cory like that, especially since he is a valley boy too.

With the size of us, you could mabey say 2 and a half.

See you on the weekend.

HOS;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't, for the life of me, understand this league. Upon examination of the Div 2 CAT (and Div 1 CAT as well, I suppose), all teams play each other. Why don't they just make one big group instead of all this Group A - Group B nonesense? Silly, really.

Is it 2 games v. each team in the group, plus 1 game v. each in the other group? Why are league members left guessing? Dispense the information I say! Out with it! Let's go, Willy -- I'm sick of this garbage.

P.S. Note that the Div 1 section has added games into October.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
14 team schedule

The league wants the two groups of 7 format to mirror the Premier Division. The fields are only available to the league from September to the end of March. Considering the 100% probability of field closures during the season for waterlogged pitches and interuptions to the league schedule for cup play they figure they can realistically stick to the usual 18 game schedule we get with 10 team divisions. A true home/away format for 14 teams would be 26 games each. The format they use now gives each team 19 league games.

Personally I just wish they'd go back to 10 team divisions with 18 game schedules. The split divisions are an experiment that should end. There are now 34 Div 1 teams when there were 20 just 3 years ago. No wonder they are having trouble filling spots in Div 2 and 3. No one has to earn their place anymore.

It should be 1 Division of 10 teams in Premier, 1 Division of 10 teams in Div 1 (+ 1 CAT), 3 Divisions of 10 in Div 2 (+ 1 CAT) and 2 Divisions of 10 in Div 3 (+ 2 CAT (1 U-21)). That's room for 70 competitive teams and 40 reserve teams.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
it'll never happen

Insider,

You're spot on with saying the league should end the "experiment". The problem is, I don't think anyone currently in the league office would ever admit that a mistake had been made...

Burnsie mentioned a couple of days ago about the year 5 Premier teams tied for 1st overall. That was when we had just 10 teams. Now that is a competitive league!

Right now I think we have too many teams at the top, and as much as I'd like to say otherwise, not enough quality players to fill all the teams properly. Quality of play has suffered in my opinion.

Don't even get me started on the uneven schedules produced by have 2 'sides'.

14 new teams in Div 1 in the last 3 years?!?!?! That's just plain stupid. Didn't these guys learn anything from the NASL?

~TBwhorealizesheisramblingandmakingnosenseprobably.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Insider, what you said? That should go on the 'excellent site'. Well said.

Regs, is that true? 14 different teams in 3 years? My God, that sounds like Major League Baseball -- a different team wins each year. Perhaps it's because of the summer transfer craziness we were all on about a while back. ;)

5 Premier teams tied for 1st overall
Was it decided in a one game playoff with ACM? :D

Nickel

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Job!

Insider, well done. You're comments are probably the most insightful stuff written in here in awhile. Too bad, VMSL can't figure it out.

Can't believe the season starts in less than two weeks!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bimini's/Rangers v. North Shore JB's

A hearty exhibition took place tonight at Adanac. I decided to lace 'em up tonight and it felt great to get some time in the second. The hammy's still feeling tight, but after a couple of months off I felt sharp. It's amazing what some exuberance can't do for one's game.

JB's went up in the first on an OG against the flow of the game. Most play went the WFC (aka "Westside") way. But in the second, after managing a tie-goal with a great individual effort from one of the new guys, JB went to dominate after WFC subbed a veteran centre-mid. JB scored with literally no more than 45 seconds or so.

NS JB's 2 - 1 Bimini's/Rangers

I love this game.

Which one of you guys is with the JB's again? Good run tonight, guys.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pt. Grey Rangers v. Hagars

3-3

An OK match highlighted by 6 teams showing up at the pitch and bandcamp with permit in hand.

Pt Grey up 3-1 and Hagars came back. Both teams had some weaker players who dropped the level of play and all six goals were defensive or keeper mistakes. Max Blink was on the sidelines after bening chopped by a try-hard in a Sportstown co-ed game.

Thanks to the Hagar's lad who reffed.

senior

Aug 13, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wed nite exhibition JB's vs Westside

keeper,

as a JB representative , i thought i would respond to your posting....

it was a lovely nite for a game of soccer, except for the blinding sun stretched across the pitch, but what can you do, at least it wasn't raining. both sides had a number of players out, looking for new talent i suppose. so in that respect the game was a bit disjointed with all the subs.

it was a good run around to get the legs fired up for the upcoming season ( shake out the cobwebs a wee bit ) it was a well contested match and would enjoy a rematch down the road with each side dressing there best 11.

good luck to you and your team in the upcoming season.

senior

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a little odd, wasn't it. I didn't envy the coach's job that night. Trying to filter through the new possiblities for the season from 2 teams looked like no easy task. Having both the Rangers and Bimini's out resulted in a neighbourhood of 30 odd guys. It was amazing that anyone got any playing time at all. Just as Kurgan mentioned, "6 teams showed up at the pitch". Strangely, in our case, everyone belonged.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How was the cooler?

More importantly, the cooler was not adequately stocked for such a turnout. I hope everyone got a beer. I know if I didn't, I would have been looking elsewhere. Especially since ALL of us play in a glorified beer league. Right, TB?

Captain who will be seeing TB sooner than he thinks.....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh?

Captain who will be seeing TB sooner than he thinks.....

Huh?

Here's some scuttlebutt...

With all the movement in the Professional indoor league(s) it appears that a couple of players are going to be possibly playing in the VMSL this winter.

For Peg, there is a chance that Jinky (the one without red boots) will be coming back into the fold. I'm also hearing that Niall is coming back but no word on where he is thinking on playing.

Also with the recent news of the Whitecaps finally picking up that new keeper, word is that Steve London may be outta the loop which means he could be available much sooner for Peg than originally thought.

That's it. Oh and Peg has about 11 players available for the BCFC Tourney on the weekend.

~TB.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smooth Criminal

HOSy are you O.K., are you O.K., HOSy are you O.K., are you O.K. HOSy.

Burnaby Canadians 4 - Sapperton Rovers 2.

Not a bad game at Queens Park last night, but why do they have to sand the field right before the winter season starts, that field was in great shape just a few weeks ago.
1st Half
Game started sloppy for both teams, with the Rovers getting the first goal on a tough give away by the keeper.
Rovers increased there lead in the first half on a headed goal by Hearnsy, that was able to get in the far post, that had been left open when a player left too early.
One bright spot for BCFC in the open half was the play of a striker that goes by the name of just T-BONE, we think he is South American.
2nd Half
Burnaby came out flying after the break, getting the first goal on a bad angle shot by Miller that made its way into the far post, along the ground I might add. The second goal came by the way of a great player by the name Besty, who has come out to help BBY. while we are short some players.
The third goal set up by besty and a checky little back heal that sent Kevin in for the winner.
The last goal came from the Polish sensation Luke, who's 18 yard strike deflected of players in front and went in the goal.

Near the end of the game, HOS had a big collision with Hearnsy (Smooth Criminal), with HOS taking the worst of it; Don't worry TB I will be ready to clatter you this weekend.

Man of the Match: Besty, who will also be seen at BBY. Lake this weekend in the Blue uni's.

H:D S

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

What game were you watching? The play was pretty brutal, with some bright spots mixed in.

Can you kiss Cory's ass any more? You call that a "tough" give away. I call that one of the worst, brutal, what the hell is he thinking give aways I've ever seen. And I've seen a few (not to mention yours in the Italain tourney this past summer).

I was really impressed with our turn out - 21 guys - can't beat that. Unfortunately most were from the CAT team, and it showed in the 2nd half.
I was very impressed with Sapperton's Malcolm Wallace's play and grit. The wee Scot is only 18 years old. He will be a good player down the road.

HOS, you were awesome up front. Miller played well, but he needs 2 new pegs - 2 weeks before the season and he's shattered. But come on, only 12 guys for the game? Where is everyone?

I haven't received any complaints from Queen's Park about beer. Rematch next Thursday, perhaps?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside?!?!?!

Is the dynasty about to burst?

I'm hearing a lot about this squad and it isn't rosey.

Besty defecting.

Simon taking the year off.

Ollie still with the Caps and getting married?

Mosh coaching UBC.

Nuke at Sapperton :)D)

Wicks has lost it since he changed jerseys[/b]

CoachK is helping his wife take over BC Soccer.

Maybe the Knights should represent the "A" team.

~TB.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0