Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters 2007-2008 December/January Results and Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army:

Right now, WAzzi would welcome another Masters' 3rd div team just so it balances out the schedule (9 teams currently). Not sure what the current interest level is like for other potential new sides, though.

Peter is half-right. Once upon a time before the WCOTSL merged with the VMSL and even shortly thereafter, there was a lot more flexibility to where new teams were placed, depending on their level of play. For the 3 North Van teams that joined, CAI and Lomas started at the bottom, and worked their way to where they are now, while WVan/Peg was slotted into the Premier because it was a more realistic level for them. The teams found their own levels. Ask Lomas; it wasn't a cakewalk for them to get to where they are now by any stretch of the imagination.

In the past, WCOTSL was able to tweak divisions as teams moved out to play over 40s or folded by promoting extra teams, or by bringing in new teams at that level of play. Now, as the numbers of teams have filled up (41 and counting), there is a bit less room to make these kind of adjustments, and most teams are more stable from year to year. The last team to pack it in was PAOK.

Where will openings come? Partly it depends on how many teams/clubs buy into the over 40s division. Westside and PCOV already have, and are waiting for enough interest from other groups. If/when this flies, there will probably be some shuffling as I don't know that all interested parties will just create new teams as these two clubs have done.

Other options - like I mentioned to you guys quite a while ago, there are still some of us ex- ex- City/Forest types still floating around, so we'd always entertain talking to you (although I think there's still a moratorium on any more teams named either Celtic or Rangers...), or there are some other single-entity teams that are looking to build some affiliations.

Basically, to sum up I think as long as there are an even number of teams looking for spots and they have access to a home field allotment (WAzzi's biggest stipulation), the league will take Masters' age teams.

Who me? Recruiting? Never...

Trece

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF,

We plan on having a nighttime home game for friday, saturday or sunday night.
We don't really want to go and play in Aldergrove anymore. I did that for 7 years and it wears on a guy after awhile. Nothing like 10 am in Aldergrove or Abbotsford or god forbid Golden Ears.It doesn't make sense for us to join a seperate league anyway. Staying in the VMSL means we can CAT with our other teams in our club, give them some "veteran" leadership when they need some.

Trece, did you play with Dave Uhler????

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Higgsy?

Not that I would know.

That would be interesting ... why would West Van want to replace a goalie selected to the First Allstar team ;) perhaps Miros will now be interested in what was posted on the noticeboard :

"Looking for a goalie for my div 1 team (coed) at 8rinks burnaby.
e-mail nha6@sfu.ca if you're interested"​

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Super tall Dave who's slightly past 40? Never met him...:D

I believe he is 4'2 AND a 1/2"
Damn, just saw you were talking about his age.A bout 10 days past 40 indeed. I need to bring that up at training tonight i think. We especially like his main tackling move. We have dubbed it the "Speedbump". he justs sort of slides and lays down in front of the guy with the ball. :D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army:

I had already departed from City land when Davey got the callup, but knew him from several years in the Engineering league. He also survived a couple of Squamish tourneys with us...:D

Davey had a great work rate on the field. He also used to have a reasonably good vertical - must have been at least 2" off the ground...:D Please send on my congrats and commiserations on his joining the +40 Club.

Trece

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Taxman the reason is no deals on scalper tickets.

Oh - now I get it ... scalpers, I mean ticket brokers are not out to make friends .... you didn't miss much of a game - just the Sedins dominating in overtime and one shootout goal ... and a good buffet that would make RF drool, beers, eye candy etc....

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey all!!

Had the chance to go to WVFC training last night, wow 16 guys there. Most since the P.S. golf trip last June. I guess some guys are trying to get on this years trip. For the people that are going to P.S., I will be bringing along "Dances With Wolves" and "The Last of the Moichans." Tired of watching the Sopranos!!

The main reason for this post, the new keeper signing looked good last night on the frozen tundra at Ambleside. It looks as though the regular back-up has now moved down the depth chart to #3 (it is really #4 or #5 in many peoples minds)

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumor has it that there were a few mistakes on the All Star team. Where do I find this post.

Finding the post is one of the criteria for making the team - as well as running the site - right Regs :rolleyes: ... and Sir M must know your name :D but you are on the right team to get selected ...

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eagles, interesting report from the training. I am just back from weekend in Squaw Valley.

I am curious to see if a certain Referee M-r- will make the all-star officiating crew?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This wasn't supposed to go out until Monday, but there has been so much anticipation about this, here is a little TTP exclusive for you:

WEST VAN FC MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EXCEPTIONAL CANADIAN IN THE WORLD OF SOCCER JOINS WVFC!

Monday, January, 28, 2008 (WEST VANCOUVER, BC) – West Van Football Club is honoured to announce the appointment of a truly exceptional Canadian in the world of soccer as a goaltender and technical consultant with the organization. Zeddy Rogers, owner and chief operating officer is ecstatic saying, “We are absolutely over the top with this signing! His excellent insights and experiences at all levels of the game will serve us well to enhance and support the goaltending staff for the entire West Van Football Club."

Dick Howard may as well be called " Mr. Soccer" in Canada given the expansive reach that he has had and continues to have in all areas of the game nationally and internationally. He obtained a unique treble in 1986 as the first person in Canadian soccer to have played, coached and managed in the national program and was inducted into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame in 2002.

He has had an extensive goaltending career and coaching at all levels of the game being a member of the Canadian Under 16 and Under 20 teams as well as the World Cup Team in 1981 when Canada came within one goal of qualifying for the World Cup Finals in Spain. Howard was Canada's first ever National Goalkeeping coach and is the longest serving FIFA Coaching Instructor in North America having conducted over 50 FIFA projects around the world since 1988.

The former goalkeeper played and coached in the North American Soccer League from 1968-1976 with the Detroit Cougars, Rochester Lancers and Toronto Metros and was also a member of the Canadian National Team in the 1974 World Cup qualifiers.

In the world of Academia, he held the post of Director of Athletics and was Head of the Physical Education Department from 1972-86 at Crescent School, one of the top independent schools in Canada.

No stranger to media, in the 90's he was a columnist for the Toronto Sun covering the world's game and was a radio host for Team Sports Radio for the 2002 World Cup. For the young generation, Dick is probably best known for his ongoing work as a media soccer analyst. A role that he has held since 1986 to the present covering World Cup finals for The Sports Network (TSN) and other national/international soccer events for Fox Sports World. Young soccer players and fans stop him everywhere he goes for a chat and an autograph!

He continues to be a member of the prestigious FIFA Technical and Development Committee and also acts as Chairman of CONCACAF Coaching Committee.

The former Technical Director of the Canadian Soccer Association is excited about the appointment; "The sport is facing a challenging future at the top levels of the game in Canada. There have been some positive signs in both the men's and women's game with the success of the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps in the United Soccer Leagues last season as well as the ongoing progress at the National Team level." Howard added ”But at this stage of my career I look forward to putting coaching behind me, and return to my true calling: between the pipes putting on an exciting display of shot stopping, and helping the West Van club to continue to play an integral role in the development of the Masters game in the Lower Mainland".

The 64 year old goaltender, now the second oldest member of the WVFC Master’s team, is expected to compete for a starting spot in goal.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
CHICO-- MEDIA & PUBLIC RELATIONS, WEST VAN FOOTBALL CLUB

778--255-4625 ext. 25

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
An abundance of goalkeepers on the North Shore leaves me wondering did Tony Waiters at least make the short list MBE?

Tough decision I'm sure my friend.

Classic MBE, Classic. :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TW is already in the SU system and I don't believe WVFC has been given permission to talk with him.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big game tonight out at Burnaby Lake Concrete... the winner will be in the driver's seat to take the division (sideB).

Prediction: Fcuking cold and hard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0