Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celtic 3 Gretna 0 - I missed the game as I blootered and couldn't get up

Rangers 2 Hibs 1 - apparently it was one way traffic......

But most importantly..........ex- Celtic player Phil O'Donnell collapsed and died at the end of Motherwell's 5 - 3 win.......absolutely shocking news........35 years-old.......:(

RIP Phil................:(

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But most importantly..........ex- Celtic player Phil O'Donnell collapsed and died at the end of Motherwell's 5 - 3 win.......absolutely shocking news........35 years-old.......:(

RIP Phil................:(

I was shocked too, put's everything in perspective.

RIP Phil O'Donnell RIP

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
MOTHERWELL, Scotland -- The captain of a Scottish Premier League soccer team died Saturday, collapsing during a game just as he was about to leave the field for a substitute.

Phil O'Donnell, a 35-year-old midfielder for Motherwell, fell to the ground at Fir Park and was carried off on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to a hospital.

Motherwell said its medical staff and that of Dundee United believed O'Donnell had a seizure, but did not elaborate. Club chairman Bill Dickie said there will be an autopsy.

"This is an unspeakable tragedy for Phil's family," Motherwell owner John Boyle said in a statement. "Everyone at Motherwell is shocked to the core and we are sure that everyone involved in Scottish football will feel the same.

"Phil was not only an inspirational player for Motherwell and club captain, but was an inspirational person. All of us at Motherwell are thinking of his wife, Eileen, and their four children."

O'Donnell collapsed before he could be replaced by substitute Marc Fitzpatrick. He was treated on the field for about five minutes and Fitzpatrick entered in the 78th minute.

O'Donnell's nephew David Clarkson, who had scored twice for Motherwell, was substituted a few moments later because he was upset by what happened.

Saturday's game was played to completion, the teams apparently unaware of O'Donnell's condition. Motherwell won 5-3.

"I don't want to say anything more than how devastated everyone at the club is for his wife and his young children," Motherwell manager Mark McGhee said. "That's what we are all feeling tonight. Nothing else matters."

O'Donnell started his career at Motherwell before stints with Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday. He also played once for Scotland, entering as substitute in a World Cup qualifier against Switzerland in 1993. He scored for Motherwell in its 4-3 victory over Dundee United in the 1991 Scottish Cup final.

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown gave O'Donnell his only international appearance.

"I think everyone in the game will acknowledge what a wonderful player he was and an outstanding gentleman," Brown told Sky Sports News. "And I would expect to have a minute's applause at every ground in Scotland at the next fixture."

O'Donnell's death recalled that of Cameroon midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe, who collapsed and died at the 2003 Confederations Cup in France. That prompted soccer's ruling body to demand a general physical and thorough cardiovascular tests on all players leading to last year's World Cup in Germany.

This past summer, Sevilla midfielder Antonio Puerta died after he collapsed on the field during a Spanish league game. He had a weak right ventricle, and his death was one of at least three in soccer in August.

Striker Chaswe Nsofwa died of heart failure while training in Israel. A player for the English team Walsall, 16-year-old Anton Reid, died after collapsing while training.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rip

What a tragedy... Absolutely shocking news... It really does put things into perspective...

Rest in Peace Phil O'Donnell

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celtic vs. Rangers game has been postponed for Wednesday. It is the right thing to do. Motherwell/Hibs and Gretna's(who share Fir Park) home game have also been postponed.

RIP Phil

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let me preface my comments by saying RIP Phil again, and my post is in no way reflective of my thoughts towards the man and his death.

however... Celtic FC Have made a meal of the event, over a guy who played for them 10 years ago to get the match postponed for today with Rangers so that they can get players back from injuries and suspensions, and probably a few new signings in.

This is a joke. In my opinion Nakamura, Boruc, and McGhedy should not be allowed to play in the next OF game. Not that I am scared of them, just that it would have been an easier stroll through the roses without them suiting up ;)

The SFA have bumbled this one, as have Rangers for not putting up a fight to have the game played nonetheless.

Captain and everyone here supporting the Tic should all be over the moon with this as after todays game (had it gone ahead) Rangers would have been 1 point ahead with the games in hand...Shocker.:mad:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: JBN

Fair or not, I'd rather gub the unwashed with all of their players available. If it's a tribute to a player who has tragically lost his life I'm all for it being ppd.
We all know how Captain feels toward the SFA about games being canceled. Now that the shoe is on the other foot his stance surely wouldn't change? :rolleyes:

Follow Follow

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
surely is right.

It's not like the man passed yesterday or the day before. at the end of the day the men are professionals and with the time that has now passed, should be able to get on with it. I am not trying to sound cold or whatnot, but with the luck or lack thereof that Rangers have enjoyed or not enjoyed over the last 2 seasons this was a bit of a good bounce that has now gone bad.

I again want to emphasize I am not trying to be cold or heartless, but how long and how many games need postponing?

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
surely is right.

It's not like the man passed yesterday or the day before. at the end of the day the men are professionals and with the time that has now passed, should be able to get on with it. I am not trying to sound cold or whatnot, but with the luck or lack thereof that Rangers have enjoyed or not enjoyed over the last 2 seasons this was a bit of a good bounce that has now gone bad.

I again want to emphasize I am not trying to be cold or heartless, but how long and how many games need postponing?

I think your comments have no merit. Rangers had absolutely no qualms about postponment and the teams that were forced to play today have all said they felt that it wasn't right to be playing so soon. The funeral is on Friday and I think the bottom line is that the SPL did get this one right and can do wrong by taking the position on postponing the games.

Phil was on the team that stopped your successive string of league titles in the 90's and thus I'm sure has a lot of friends in the background at Celtic Park as well. I also think that the way the guy died is a shock to all SPL players.

Also, I think you are being presumptious that your manky mob would of taken the points today. If Milan can't beat us at Parkhead then what make you think that a UEFA qualifier like yourselves would even have a chance? :D

HJ

PS Boruc played in our last game vs Gretna

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was the result of the last OF game at Castle greyskull?
Last 4 results in OF games are 3 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw for the Gers, including a nice 1:0 number at Parkheid. ;)

But I'm sure you knew that.

The teams each have 4 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 OF games, Celtic have won 2 away, Gers 1. Both shellick away wins were 05/06 and 04/05.

Still leading though, of the 377 OF games ever played, Rangers have won 150, drawn 92, & lost 135.

Follow Follow

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was the result of the last OF game at Castle greyskull?
Last 4 results in OF games are 3 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw for the Gers, including a nice 1:0 number at Parkheid. ;)

But I'm sure you knew that.

The teams each have 4 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 OF games, Celtic have won 2 away, Gers 1. Both shellick away wins were 05/06 and 04/05.

Still leading though, of the 377 OF games ever played, Rangers have won 150, drawn 92, & lost 135.

Follow Follow

You'd think judging by the last 4 results that the huns would of won the league last year? :eek: :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let me preface my comments by saying RIP Phil again, and my post is in no way reflective of my thoughts towards the man and his death.

however... Celtic FC Have made a meal of the event, over a guy who played for them 10 years ago to get the match postponed for today with Rangers so that they can get players back from injuries and suspensions, and probably a few new signings in.

This is a joke. In my opinion Nakamura, Boruc, and McGhedy should not be allowed to play in the next OF game. Not that I am scared of them, just that it would have been an easier stroll through the roses without them suiting up ;)

The SFA have bumbled this one, as have Rangers for not putting up a fight to have the game played nonetheless.

Captain and everyone here supporting the Tic should all be over the moon with this as after todays game (had it gone ahead) Rangers would have been 1 point ahead with the games in hand...Shocker.:mad:

I will say one thing. Give your head a ****ing shake. Seriously. I'm sure this is what Strachan and Celtic were hoping for.......a postponement due to the sudden death of a player who played for 5 years for club. I am not over the moon with the game being postponed. I'm a human being and had O'Donnell played for the Huns before in a similar scenario, I would expect nothing less.

Now if you SERIOUSLY want to get into postponing games that shouldn't be postponed, have you heard of a team called Gretna? FFS, get a grip. That was a JOKE. You still go humiliated against Lyon even with this great move. What about the other beauty? Scotland against Italy? Yes, those games should be been postponed. :rolleyes:

JBN, I'm VERY surprised at your logic here...........the first thing that came to my mind when this happened is that ALL ****ing games should be postponed on Wednesday, it just so happened we were playing the Huns. I guess postponing the game against Motherwell this weekend was another ploy to get our 'full' squad out?

:mad:

By the way, Happy New Year everyone.

Hail Hail

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: JBN

Fair or not, I'd rather gub the unwashed with all of their players available. If it's a tribute to a player who has tragically lost his life I'm all for it being ppd.
We all know how Captain feels toward the SFA about games being canceled. Now that the shoe is on the other foot his stance surely wouldn't change? :rolleyes:

Follow Follow

John,

The SFA and SPL has already made a balls of games involving RAngers in particular(Lyon anyone?) but also Celtic with the Scotland LOSS to Italy. They fcuked those up. Never should have happened......in this case, to me, it was a no brainer.......No teams should have played today.....as a mark of respect.

Thank you for your first comment though. After reading JBN's this was somewhat refreshing, if that makes sense.

Happy New Year, m8.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair do's boys..The SFA should have simply played NO games today...but they didn't Celtic go THE break, potentially a season making break.

My head is sore from all the shaking Cappy ;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

Since Rangers are a superior team, they shouldn't have a problem dismantling Celtic at any time during the season They've already done it 3 times under Walter right? :) No problem

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good for you, JBN. I'm with you 100%. The SFA cocked this up royally. Why isn't the whole league down? Cnuts the lot of them.

Re: Hutton. You could only wish such quality Shitic. Either way Rangers FC are on the right path. Fcuk Cnutic and its supporters. Including Captain (although I think you love me, but I'm not sure and not going to show my cards), Heanjob (although I love you), Steve91820 (although I'm curious) and Parkhead (although I love you) and the rest of the cnuts.

Beaver Buzz.

Buckfast. And go fcuk the lot of youse.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Hutton, it was another one of Minty Moonbeam's ploys.......In the end, how much are they getting for Hutton? :D GIRUY

The SFA did fcuk it up only in the fact the didn't postpone every game. That is what I said from the start so you won't get an argument from me there, Bucky.

No Huns in CL 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0