Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier RUMOUR: Surrey Utd. to FVSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crazy.

Why no play them in May, while you guys are still relatively fit, and before summer really kicks in?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would we play anyone. Constitution says we go up, why open that door. Anyone can win in a little tourny like that.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crazy.

Why no play them in May, while you guys are still relatively fit, and before summer really kicks in?

Provincials this weekend and probably too short notice. May long weekend is next weekend and is as bad or worse than summer time.

If it can be arranged for May 28/29 weekend I think that would be fine...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would we play anyone. Constitution says we go up, why open that door. Anyone can win in a little tourny like that.

Why didn't you accompany @LION to the meeting? Turns out he had courage after all, but was busy doing his best scarecrow impression and needed a tinman like you to back him up.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Technically it's the Rules and Regulations that says the spot is yours, not the Constitution.

That being said you'd have to ask @LION the logic behind the move because I gather it was his call. One would assume it is because if you do "win in a little tourny like that" it would give some measure of legitimacy to your promotion? Though the members in attendance clearly agreed with giving multiple teams an oportunnity to "earn" the spot.

From a neutral perspective it certainly sounds like an entertaining way to decide things! I hear Tigers are in top form and have stayed sharp since the league ended, what a time it would be for their first two wins of the season ;)

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Things are not always easy. In my opinion to get a promotion is important to put an effort and commitment, if any team is not willing or ready to do that then they do not deserve to get it.
I think that what is important is that the decision in question was discussed, approved and accepted at a meeting in which all or part of the clubs interested and all or part of the governing body of the VMSL were present.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why didn't you accompany @LION to the meeting? Turns out he had courage after all, but was busy doing his best scarecrow impression and needed a tinman like you to back him up.

Well unless I was going to bring my 2 year old, coming wasn't exactly an option. My opinion is why would we have a playoff if the rules state we go up. How many other teams would give that up? None.

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey could have sold, merged or acquired their Premier spot like so many other teams in this league, but instead, gave it back to the VMLS.

Azzi and Tremarco should leave the Premier allocation as is with 11 teams, each team can have a 2 byes throughout the regular season. Then, the next year drop 2 and promote 1, and get it back to 10 teams.

Only 3 team league as it currently stands, Deep Cove, the Horses, and Dams Lincoln.

Good luck to the Mighty Horses......sorry Chevrolet....no treble for you!!

gunners

Dec 20, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. That was the idea. But nothing in writing could be tough. ;)

I don't even know if we can field a team in middle of summer. I know I'm away most weekends myself.

Taking a step back from it, and sorry, but really is middle of June games truly showcasing the best team? Can all teams managers and players be available in Middle of summer? Lots of things still need to be addressed.
Plus Guilford is allowed to use their u21's

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well unless I was going to bring my 2 year old, coming wasn't exactly an option. My opinion is why would we have a playoff if the rules state we go up. How many other teams would give that up? None.

Ok fair point, but shouldn't you have briefed your emissary on that line of thinking before sending him to said meeting??

As I understand the suggestion of a playoff being more fair was entirely North Delta's idea, though likely several others in the room shared it. In the end the format was for all intents and purposes unanimously agreed upon.

Safe to say ND seems to be stepping back on their willingness to playoff for the spot, we'll see how it all shakes down I suppose...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. Lots of ideas were thrown around at the meeting. I think a playoff is fair. How it got to 4 teams I forget.
I don't believe the room thought of how it would effect the rest of the league though. Lots was not brought up that a few brought up after the meeting.
Will div2 now play off for the one spot that opens in div1?
Will div3 have playoffs now too?
Will this trickle down through the entire league?
Why playoff for one division and not all the others? This could really open up a can of worms for the league as one group can not change the rules for the entire league. And back date it.
Perhaps that is why the rules state what they state. As this could turn messy for the league if they do have a mid summer play off for the spot and go against the written rule.

what is fair for one division should be for all no? Anyways. This was all brought up after the unofficial meeting. I'm sure if the room discussed this to length it would see how it could effect entire league and more then just the one division.

So play offs for all divisions or not then is probably what will happen. Either way, I'm happy.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are the "rules" really the most important thing at this point?

Our league is basically under attack by the FVSL in an unprecedented way. They are trying to poach our top teams to gain some form of legitimacy that they can't achieve by themselves on the field. We need to do what is best for the league to make sure we continue to have the best product on the field, and generate the most buzz in the community. I think that these playoffs achieve both of those things.

As for the lower divisions, I think there could be a huge shakeup if we can all vote to scrap the CAT division. Those teams will then need somewhere to land and the top teams from that division should be given a spot higher than Div 3. Alternatively, if we really want to combat what's happening with the FVSL, instead of only thinking about how to defend ourselves, I think we should consider going on the offensive by offering the vacant Div 1 spot to any top Valley team who want to switch to the VMSL. I know the "rules" don't provide anyway of achieving this, but at this point I say rules be damned -- we are at war!

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Under Attack?
Unprecedented?

You guys really do smell each other's farts sometimes. :D

We just smell horse shite I guess out here in the sticks.

Yes, there's a play on words there. ;)

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard Campo was part of the four team playoff trying to get promoted to premier. Rumour has it that they paid their way into 4 team playoff just like they are paying their players (and that's a fact)

Campo is a top 6 premier calibre team they deserve to be in premier according to @Soccer Coach.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are the "rules" really the most important thing at this point?

Our league is basically under attack by the FVSL in an unprecedented way. They are trying to poach our top teams to gain some form of legitimacy that they can't achieve by themselves on the field. We need to do what is best for the league to make sure we continue to have the best product on the field, and generate the most buzz in the community. I think that these playoffs achieve both of those things.

As for the lower divisions, I think there could be a huge shakeup if we can all vote to scrap the CAT division. Those teams will then need somewhere to land and the top teams from that division should be given a spot higher than Div 3. Alternatively, if we really want to combat what's happening with the FVSL, instead of only thinking about how to defend ourselves, I think we should consider going on the offensive by offering the vacant Div 1 spot to any top Valley team who want to switch to the VMSL. I know the "rules" don't provide anyway of achieving this, but at this point I say rules be damned -- we are at war!

Tough to blame the FVSL IMHO. They have watched top calibre team after top calibre team leave for the VMSL to the point where their top division is hardly "Premier" level. The evidence is clear when you see that only one of their teams advanced out of the first round of Provincial Cup, and that was as a result of an FVSL/FVSL match up, only to be soundly beaten by the 6th placed VMSL finisher in the next round. They had a chance to reel in a big fish to give some legitimacy back to their league and they used the leverage that we have covered already here to do it. It's about sustainability at this point and once they get their foot in the door why not see if there are any other bonus teams they can grab?

Let's be honest, if the VMSL handles this properly they will quash this "war" between leagues and we can all go back to ignoring each other until Provincials. Currently though, with ND opening the door to a playoff, things are continuing to flare up which only helps the FVSL's cause. The sooner the VMSL puts this issue to bed the better it will be for their brand.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No playoff games. Rino should not get Premier spot. Their team got relegated period. Third place team in DIV 1 should be given automatic place to Premier league. If they do not want it then it goes to 4th place team. Same with Div 2 teams going up to Div 1. Team with most points in DIv 2 should go up (3rd best team). Same with Div 3. This is VMSL league and not just Premier league. This is how it was done in the past so why change it. The rules are written. Stick with it.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 Teams on 50 points in div 2
Campo
Norvan
Strikers
Only goals for and against
If there is to be a play off this would be it

Status
Not open for further replies.