Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[NHL Playoffs 2009] Canucks vs Hawks

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll say this about the Hawks they play entertaining hockey! Calgary Chicago was the same. I'd watch a Chicago v. Washington / Pittsburgh - final. While I respect the wings I'm tired of watching them - they're the Man U / NY Yankees of the NHL.

Detroit is FAR from the ManU/Yankees.........they have an amazing scouting system and don't have to fork out the sort of money that those other teams do to bring in the best players. Detroit does it within the system................

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks didn't want it bad enough (cliche I know)
Refereeing didn't help, at all, and yet the Nucks didn't do enough to draw the PP chances

Sedins should go. Look at the template. Speed Kills.

No team with a 7 million tendy has appeared in a finals as far as I can remember, Kipper may be the closest thing, and they lost because they lacked depth.

No Sedins, Bye Bye Ohlund and Sundin.

Blow it up. Start from scratch. Let Gillis do his thing, his way. "His" guys were not the ones leaving us wanting, it was Nonis' leftovers holding the bag this time.

I also say blow up the coaching staff.

I couldn't resist logging in this morning.

First, what an assault on the nerves. Fcuk me. Dancing w/ the Stars was far less stressful.

You all watch it to, so shut-it.

Second, my immediate impression right after this game was...did not see this coming...this being Luongo having a shocker in the 3rd. Mitchell too, but Luongo...he wants this series back, but specifically the 3rd period yesterday.

Now, onto the Sedins…yes, they had a sub-par series, but you can not say they didn’t show up yesterday. They had their best game, and were at their puck possession best. Burrows, for all his energy, and all the accolades he’s gotten this year let them down. He’s too fast and too energetic to be standing flat footed out front waiting for a pass, instead of keeping his feet moving to keep the defense off balance. I think in this series he forgot what got him the contract and all the love…which is playing like his hair is on fire. No, this line needs to stay in tact. You know Burrows will be motivated next year, and the twins…just punch them in for another 70-80 points each or so. Maybe more, now that they have a winger.

Yes, I think we can officially say the Matts Sundin signing was a failure from the standpoint of his on-ice production. Franchise will come on here and argue that having Sundin allowed Kesler all the room to blossom into an offensive player. Maybe true, maybe not. I think Kesler deserves some credit for embracing a new role.

I’m on the fence about the coaches. I wasn’t before the series began, but games 2, 4, and 5 had me thinking that they were being schooled. Last night, the team did as they should have…they kept shooting, and played mostly in the Hawk’s end. Up 5-4 midway through the 3rd, they should have been able to count on Luongo to shut the door, and for Willie Mitchell to be able to check. Again, both those guys had shockers, when you’d expect them to flourish. You can’t blame that on the coaches.

I agree on Ohlund. Who else remembers the Calgary series a few years back, when as soon as Iggy beat him up he turned invisible? Sure, he’s a horse for the season, but he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. For the money he’ll demand, there surely will be other options.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sundin had impact on this season and specifically this series. He was a horse. You can't argue with his points production, you can argue his footspeed and willingness to use his body to his advantage.

For the Money the Sedins will command I still say a better, more dynamic, and definately quicker duo could be had...

All available this off season: Cammalerri, Kozlov, Gaborik, Hossa, Jason Williams...

As far as coaching Dude: AV got the gameplan wrong all series, got caught up in line matching. Bonuss had the Dmen playing poorly positionally all year, Walters couldn't get the Special Teams "Special" all year. The only improvement walters had was the Nucks faceoffs dept, which might have been aided purely on Gillis adding Johnson, Wellwood and Sundin.

I predict big changes. Gillis said in last offseason that he thought this team wasn't close. He got them closer, but there are still overhauls to be made.

The Canucks have up to 32 Million Committed, bonus potential included, to next season with the following contracts:
Forwards:
Hodgson: 875k/Rookie Max
Demitra: 4mil
Kesler: 1.75 Mil
Johnson: 1.2 Mil
Raymond: 760k
Horidchuk: 750k
Burrows: 2.0 mil
D Men:
Bieksa: 3.5
Salo: 3.75
Mitchell: 3.5
Edler: 3.25

Goals:
Lu: 7.5
Schneider: .984

UFA's: Sedin, Sedin, Sundin, Ohlund, Pyatt, Rypien, Ouellet, Krog, Davison, Vaananen, Baumgartner, Sanford, and LaBarbera
RFA: Bernier, Wellwood, Hansen, O'Brien.

Summary of who's on paper for 09/10

Burrows- xxxxxxx -xxxxxxxxx
Demitra - Hodgson - Kesler
Raymond - xxxxxxxxx- xxxxxxx
Hordichuk - Johnson - xxxxxxxxx

Bieksa - Salo
Mitchell - Edler
xxxxx - xxxxxx

Luongo
Schneider

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough to argue with much of what you said, except the Sedins. This year proved they can produce, and for the most part did. In this series, they were not the only disappearing acts. Plus, I don't think they'll cost as much as everyone figures. Burrows will not be a front line player w/ out them.

Sundin just doesn't fit the new game. Thanks for the service.

Can't wait to get Hodgson in here playing full time. Does Wellwood fit in? I like his intelligence (he's always looking for a smart play, when he distributes, he moves right away into position to get it back), but he's just not able to play at a high enough level long enough.

Coaches...I'm sold too. Make the change there, and keep the boys on edge.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sign the twins and Rypien for sure. I also think Wellwood should get another crack at it here.

Go get Gaborik and then focus on retooling the backend.

It'll be interesting to see how the organisation handles Pyatt this summer. I'm not a fan really but do you go with "we are a family" or "we are a business" in this situation?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to sit and think about the Sedins. I know replacements aren't going to be free/easy to get with the guaranteed point production, but they need a foil... Sundin back for another year isn't an automatic fix, nor is Hodgson if he is thrust into a checking role...The Sedins are not quick enough to be the only true scoring threat, i would rather a game breaker or two in the lineup over three balanced lines with scoring threats... something like

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Bernier Wellwood Demitra
Gaborik Hodgson Kesler
Raymond Johnson Rypien
Hordichuk

But that means you are probably getting a sweetheart deal on the Twins and Gaborik...

Conversely if you don't get the Twins back for whatever reason you could look for
Burrows - kozlov - Demitra
Gaborik- Hodsgon - Cammalerri
Kesler - Wellwood - Bernier
Raymond - Johnson- Rypien
Pyatt, Hordichuk.

Our Center ice looks decent, but lacks the true 6'+ 200lbs + presence as Sundin doesn't play that big physically, he only uses that size on the offense down low, and yet doesn't have the footspeed to back check effectively once he is down low.

I think you honestly have to look at making a run at Scott Niedermayer. He will only play here or in anaheim, but does he have even 1 full season left in the tank?

Boumeester is going to be very very expensive. As much as I would love to land Marian Hossa I believe he will be very very expensive too.

If the Sedins are back the Nucks have to hit a home run on their deal and land a Gaborik/Cammallerri/Hossa to play with Hodgson and Demitra or kesler... Hodgson shouldn't be made to play a secondary role. Regardless of whether or not he is ready for it. he has to be, look at the short growth gains of Toews, Kane, and other young "can't misses"

Gillis is the former agent for Cammallerri and Kozlov and Demitra is best buds with Gaborik and Hossa... just throwing it out there...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the twins aren't back I think you will see Kesler and Burrows put back together.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Twins will be back.

I have to say I enjoy JPN's line juggling posts.

As for Pyatt...now it becomes business, but what is best for "business"? He was kind of on the outside looking in before the tragedy. It will be a very difficult summer for him. I don't envy Gillis one bit on this, as before Pyatt was clearly on the way out. I do trust his decision though. Keeping Pyatt may have a very positive ripple effect on the club.

I think serious focus needs to be given to the back-end. Salo is simply not a reliable D-man, even though we're stuck w/ him. I was underwhelmed by Bieksa, even though I've been a big fan to this point. Maybe he needs to be bait and moved while the rest of the league still loves him.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are, imho, saddled with 1 proven guy worth his cash (Bieksa) 1 proven guy that is oft injured worthi his cash when, and only if, healthy (Salo) a guy that will likely live up to his new wage bill (Edler) and a guy that is slow in the "new NHL" and offers zero offensively or coming out of his zone (Mitchell) and an RFA in O'Brien, who could still develop as he is 24 years old and has 10 years left in his career, potentially.

Overall our D corps are overrated and overpaid for what was ultimately delivered in this series, although they played really well in the Blues series imho, and down the stretch in the playoffs, they were just exposed for speed and gap control in the series against the Hawks and were going to be ravaged by either the footspeed of the Wings or the physical domination of the Ducks in the Conf Finals if we had got there.

Sad thing is now with Luc gone, there is nobody coming getting developed down there that is a blue chip. IF Gillis doesn't get warm & fuzzies from Luongo come July 1 on an extension I'd be up for trading him to philly for a package containing either Ryan parent or Braydon Coburn. (FYI: Philly doesn;t have 1 tender under contract for 09/10 and has 3 million in cap space with not enough skaters to form an NHL team)
I'd take Hartnell with Parent or Coburn and a 1st or 2nd round pick for Lu.

If you can convince Scott and Rob Niedeermayer, both of whom are UFA's july 1 to come here for 6 million combined you are well on your way. (2 mill to Robb and 4 to Scott) then you don't have to resign Wellwood, and you don't have to chase any other guys to play 6th Dman. Everyone slides down a notch so O'Brien remains as #6 on the depth chart. Your third/fourth line C is filled with Rob Niedermayer and Ryan Johnson, with a resigned Rypien to sub in as needed off the wing.

Pyatt will not be back I don't think. Although he could be had for cheap, I don't see room for him, unless Gillis decides to wait till July 1 for his move on the sedins or something else and you have to resign him because it all blows up in your face, which us unlikely to happen.

If anything look for Pyatt to go to Toronto to get close to home, and they need guys liek this until the reinforcements arrive... whenever that happens ;) :D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why are you winking? Whenever you wink, I get the distinct impression I'm on the outside of an inside joke, until I realize you are pandering to the TTP retarded.

Again.

Know what I mean? ;)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely ;)

So here's something to chew on.

Sign Jonas Gustavsson as a UFA for 2.50 per.
Trade Luongo and a pick to Philly for Hartnell, Briere, and Coburn.
FYI: Philly has 3 mill in cap space and currently 11 forwards, 7 nhl dmen, and 0 goalies.
6.75 for Luongo in cap hit for 12 in Hartnell (4.2), Briere (6.5), and Coburn (1.3) therefore Philly now has a goalie, and room to sign some depth players with the new 5+ mill in cap space.
Then the Nucks re sign Bernier @ 2 p/yr , Hansen @ 500k, Rypien @ 750k, and O'Brien for 1.5
Then sign Hossa or Gaborik for 7 per year and sign Kozlov for 2.5

You let the sisters and Wellwood walk.

You lineup looks like this for having 1.6 Million in leftover space:
Hartnell - Briere - Demitra
Bernier - Kozlov - Hossa/Gaborik
Burrows - Hodgson - Kesler
Raymond - Johnson - Rypien
Hansen, Hordi

Salo Mitchell
Coburn Bieksa
O'Brien Edler
Gustavsson (or another tender at 2.5 per)
Schneider.

Now I know this is not NHL 2009 or a fantasy pool, but you know damn well that:
A) If the sisters hit July 1 unsigned that Burke will price them out of our price range while still being competitive.
B) The Flyers HAVE to make a trade to free up cap space, and would love a bluechip goalie that they have never had
C) Getting either Gaborik or Hossa for 7.00 shouldn't be mission impossible.
D) When Demitra's contract is up next season you split the cash up between Kesler and Coburn.
E) It is a fact that the Nucks are in the last 4 for Gustavsson's services with Dallas, TO and Philly. Why is Gillis trying to sign a guy when he already has Lu and Schneider in the stable!!??

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've said it before.. say it again.
Sedins are NOT first line players and will NEVER lead a team to the cup.
They are and could be the best second line out there though. We just need to build a first line. or at least two even lines, As we thought we had when Sundin arrived.

I have been talking the Luongo trade for a while now. But many locals don't even want to hear it.

Yes, he is a great goalie, and maybe the biggest reason we won the division etc..

But look at all past Stanley Cup Finalists in the New NHL!!
all the teams left have a great, offensive team on the ice. WITH a puck moving, point getting defencemen.

Osgood? look whats in front of him.
Fleury? Malkin, Guerin, Crosby, Gonchar.
or Luongo? Sedins and Sundin?
Varlamov? are you kidding me?
Ward? peaking at the right time?
Tim Thomas?

I don't beleive big priced goalies win Cups anymore.
Its the team in front of them that does.. and the goalie getting hot at the right time.

I rather see an offensive powerhouse like Washington with an average goalie then what we have.

We could get lots for Luongo.

ALso, we NEED a top 10 defencemen.

Again, look at the teams left and the names on D they have.
Detroit, lidstrom, rafalski,
Chicago, Campbell
Washington, Green
Pittsburgh, Gonchar
Boston, Chara
Aneheim, Pronger, Neidermayer
Carolina, (i don't know)

Successful teams have that big name stud on the d line that does a job at both ends of the ice. Quarterbacks the powerplay etc..

Go Nucks GO

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely ;)

So here's something to chew on.

Sign Jonas Gustavsson as a UFA for 2.50 per.
Trade Luongo and a pick to Philly for Hartnell, Briere, and Coburn.
FYI: Philly has 3 mill in cap space and currently 11 forwards, 7 nhl dmen, and 0 goalies.
6.75 for Luongo in cap hit for 12 in Hartnell (4.2), Briere (6.5), and Coburn (1.3) therefore Philly now has a goalie, and room to sign some depth players with the new 5+ mill in cap space.
Then the Nucks re sign Bernier @ 2 p/yr , Hansen @ 500k, Rypien @ 750k, and O'Brien for 1.5
Then sign Hossa or Gaborik for 7 per year and sign Kozlov for 2.5

You let the sisters and Wellwood walk.

You lineup looks like this for having 1.6 Million in leftover space:
Hartnell - Briere - Demitra
Bernier - Kozlov - Hossa/Gaborik
Burrows - Hodgson - Kesler
Raymond - Johnson - Rypien
Hansen, Hordi

Salo Mitchell
Coburn Bieksa
O'Brien Edler
Gustavsson (or another tender at 2.5 per)
Schneider.

Now I know this is not NHL 2009 or a fantasy pool, but you know damn well that:
A) If the sisters hit July 1 unsigned that Burke will price them out of our price range while still being competitive.
B) The Flyers HAVE to make a trade to free up cap space, and would love a bluechip goalie that they have never had
C) Getting either Gaborik or Hossa for 7.00 shouldn't be mission impossible.
D) When Demitra's contract is up next season you split the cash up between Kesler and Coburn.
E) It is a fact that the Nucks are in the last 4 for Gustavsson's services with Dallas, TO and Philly. Why is Gillis trying to sign a guy when he already has Lu and Schneider in the stable!!??

Trade loungo:rolleyes:

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've said it before.. say it again.
Sedins are NOT first line players and will NEVER lead a team to the cup.
They are and could be the best second line out there though. We just need to build a first line. or at least two even lines, As we thought we had when Sundin arrived.

I have been talking the Luongo trade for a while now. But many locals don't even want to hear it.

Yes, he is a great goalie, and maybe the biggest reason we won the division etc..

But look at all past Stanley Cup Finalists in the New NHL!!
all the teams left have a great, offensive team on the ice. WITH a puck moving, point getting defencemen.

Osgood? look whats in front of him.
Fleury? Malkin, Guerin, Crosby, Gonchar.
or Luongo? Sedins and Sundin?
Varlamov? are you kidding me?
Ward? peaking at the right time?
Tim Thomas?

I don't beleive big priced goalies win Cups anymore.
Its the team in front of them that does.. and the goalie getting hot at the right time.

I rather see an offensive powerhouse like Washington with an average goalie then what we have.

We could get lots for Luongo.

ALso, we NEED a top 10 defencemen.

Again, look at the teams left and the names on D they have.
Detroit, lidstrom, rafalski,
Chicago, Campbell
Washington, Green
Pittsburgh, Gonchar
Boston, Chara
Aneheim, Pronger, Neidermayer
Carolina, (i don't know)

Successful teams have that big name stud on the d line that does a job at both ends of the ice. Quarterbacks the powerplay etc..

Go Nucks GO

FYI a top goalie is needed to win the cup

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise...
who are your top 5 goalies?

I don't rate Osgood as a top 10 goalie. Nor, Hiller.

J.S. Giguere was hot for a moment. Won a cup. Is he a top goalie?

Is Ward a top Goalie?

Who was Edmontons goalie a few years back when they made it to the cup finals? :rolleyes:

exactly.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a theory. My theory is that the boys were up to their elbows in beer and chicken wings Sunday night.

Explains the choke.

I'm sure the Kurtenbloggers agree.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Considering I was the only person on this entire website who publicly chose the Hawks, my opinion is king around here.:rolleyes:

Blow up this team? If that's the case, then I guess 26 other teams that don't make the semis need to be blown up. Tinker? Yes. Blow up? That's nuts.

All these players that people claim would be better bets than the Sedins....what exactly have they done in the playoffs this year...or ever? And how does Burrows go unscathed for his unimpressive playoffs?

Gaborik? He'll be awesome for the 15 games he'll average per season.

I'd like to see Sundin back, but if he isn't, that's a nice wad of cash to play with.

Demitra didn't impress me at all this year. Do you recall anyone saying "We really miss Demitra. He sure could have helped us in the Chicago series"? Not exactly the impact a $4 million player should be making. Buy him out.

If we can get a number of proven players and high drafts for Luongo, that may not be a bad thing, but I am not sure anyone could have saved some of those shots sent his way in game 6.

We need a couple young studs...hopefully Hodson can develop into one of them. As much as I hate(d) Raymond, he actually showed some decent signs of jam for a young guy.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Detroit is FAR from the ManU/Yankees.........they have an amazing scouting system and don't have to fork out the sort of money that those other teams do to bring in the best players. Detroit does it within the system................

Cap'n...I agree that the Red Wings are the top franchise in the league in regards to putting a winning team on the ice and it's where people want to play (often for less than they'd get elsewhere), but they've not done much in the draft this millenium...

Detroit Red Wings Draft History at hockeydb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0