Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[NHL Playoffs 2009] Canucks vs Hawks

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise...
who are your top 5 goalies?

I don't rate Osgood as a top 10 goalie. Nor, Hiller.

J.S. Giguere was hot for a moment. Won a cup. Is he a top goalie?

Is Ward a top Goalie?

Who was Edmontons goalie a few years back when they made it to the cup finals? :rolleyes:

exactly.

Ward, Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Gigeure are all shitty goalies who have won in the last 10 years:rolleyes::rolleyes:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franny,

Welcome to the new NHL.
Since the lockout and newly implemented salary cap (did you get that memo:rolleyes:)
The Cup winners are as follows:
Year before the Lockout (Old system) was the last battle of heavyweight tendies
Kipper vs Khabibulin
04/05 No Cup
05/06 Carolina beats Oilers... Rookie Cam Ward tops veteran Journeyman Roloson
06/07 Ducks over Sens... JS Giguere (Not an all star, not top $$ guy) over Ray Freaking Emery (need I say more)
07/08 Wings over Pens.. Osgood (average at best) beats very young and still unproven M.A. Fleury.

Roloson got a big contract the year after the cup run
Cam Ward made 2.5 mill this year
Osgood made 800k last season and made 1.7 this year
Fleury made 1.6 last season
Emery made 2.75 the year the Sens appeared.
JS Giguere got his 5.5 the year after the Ducks won the cup, made less than half of that prior.

Where do you see Luongo-like Money there?

Who's left now?
Osgood (1.7)
Hiller (1.3)
Khabibulin (6.75) (also worth noting the Hawks only pay peanuts to Toews, Kane, etc Andrew ladd is the only guy less than 23 years old on that team making more than a mill on forward)
Fleury (3.5)
Varlamov (850k)
Thomas (1.1)
Ward (2.5)

You are likely going to see Osgood (1.7) vs Thomas (1.1) in the finals.

There you have it.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Khabibulin (6.75) (also worth noting the Hawks only pay peanuts to Toews, Kane, etc Andrew ladd is the only guy less than 23 years old on that team making more than a mill on forward)

johnny,

i believe kane, toews, and barker's cap hits are 3.725, 2.8 and 2.736 respectively (as per nhlnumbers.com), as the cap hit for this past year included their bonus money, whether they reach the bonus or not.

Still though, those are low cap hits for the production. something we can look forward to from hodgson and hopefully gradner in the near future.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank You JBN.
Franchise. Bring some facts to the table.

You can not put Ward and Giguere in the same sentence as Roy, Brodeur and Hasek.

If Giguere is such a top goalie. Where is he now?
Your arguement might stand up in the old NHL before the salary cap.

Or you can keep responding with your factless sarcastic comments.
Luongo is worth every penny the Canucks pay him..:rolleyes:

Ma Please.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Grabner will never play more than 60 games in the NHL in his career. Mark my words.

If he does, I stand to be corrected. from what I have seen he was a disaster of a pick by Nonis.

Drafed, just in the first round, after Grabner were:
Patrick berglund, Claude Giroux, Nick Foligno, etc
second round: Milan Lucic, Nik Kulemin, Shawn Mattias,
third round: steve mason, robin Figren, Cal Clutterbuck,
7th round: Derek Dorsett.

All above have NHL experience save Figren (Still in Sweden) and Shawn Mattias (Mothballed and developing in Wings system)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In Fact all of Nonis' picks have been a disaster:
Of the 24 picks he made from the 04 draft to the 07 draft only Mason Raymond and Alex Edler have played more than 80 games in the NHL. Bourdon would have but...sadly...

Taylor Ellington is probably, along with Corey Schneider the only real prospect coming from those draft classes. Patrick White has flamed out in the NCAA. The '06 draft class of the Canucks is embarassing with only Grabner and Rahimi "in the system"

Most likely 2 out of the 5 that Gillis chose last year will have decent NHL careers in Sauve and Hodgson. and you can never count out Morgan Clarke as a sleeper, the tender picked in the 7th round, with the World's best Goalie Coach as his father.

Pacific2010

Sep 13, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hell guys...do whatever you want with team.

FFS..all I care is the fact the the Liberals won yesterday and the result of that is:

I/WE HAVE TO TOLERATE DUDE FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS.

Hi Dude:D

Pac2010

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really do think we'll be seeing Luongo on the move, even before reading Ed Willes article in the Province this morning. Reason being is the interest Gillis has in that Swedish goalie Gustavsonn (or something like that). We're in the last 4 teams for his services, and why would Gillis be looking for a guy like that unless we're trading away either Schneider or Luongo? My bet would be Luongo as he's going to bring us the most back. It would pain me to see him go but I like winning and that trade would help, especially if Schneider can come through a 'la Cam Ward.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schneider is currently the best Goalie in the AHL and has a <2.00 gaa and over .930 S% in the AHL playoffs at the moment.

Keep in mind that Schneider's performances in the Nucks Uni came during the worst home spell in franchise history.

His AHL numbers are actually better than Cam Wards were.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

Although I appreciate your endless ability for spouting off facts both useful and useless, I'm finding your posts are becoming just a bit vociferous.

I will say this, although it is sort of repeating a call made to the TEAM this morning...on the whole, this was a good season, and maybe even better than most would expect going in. I think most of us, after last year's disaster, would take a 6th game exit from the 2nd round. The team made progress, and need to continue to improve.

Hell, the way they finished the regular season seduced us all into thinking they could go far. We let our guard down, but realistically, they did better than they were projected.

Maybe exposing these warts now was a good thing. More and more, the call to move Luongo for the assets required is making sense to me, especially when presented with the success the mid-range goalies are experiencing right now. I'm convinced that the days that a Hasek could make a bad team respectable, then take them to the finals, and behind us.

I'm happy w/ the work Gillis has done...this season has been a welcome change to the previous 7 or so years of frustration. Hopefully we'll see more positive changes to come.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny that doesn't mean anything as Schneider's team could be better than the one Ward had. Ward has proven himself in the NHL and I can't say I was impressed by Schneider although he can still prove himself. I just don't think he's going to be a top goalie in the league. Hopefully I'm wrong.

As for Franchise shouldn't you be focussing on how the leafs can better themselves?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hell guys...do whatever you want with team.

FFS..all I care is the fact the the Liberals won yesterday and the result of that is:

I/WE HAVE TO TOLERATE DUDE FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS.

Hi Dude:D

Pac2010

Meh. You'd have to tollerate me anyhow.

One thing is for sure...BC Politics need a fresh face with fresh ideas. I sure hope someone middle ground comes along, because it sure is lining up nicely for Gregor to be the next star of the NDP show.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,
I agree, I like the way Gillis is running the team, and has run the team. He seems very patient, thoughtful, and resourceful.

I'm not sure AV should go, if I was Gillis I'd have fired him prior to finding/thinking about a replacement. That's why Gillis is GM and folks like me aren't ;)

I'm fine either way with either the Twins staying/going and Lui staying/going.

I just don't like people saying things for the sake of saying them, and not letting the facts come into play. Luongo has an NTC. He isn't going to waive it just cause Gillis says Please when he asks. He will want to probably go somewhere that a cup can be won, we probably would have to trade him to the East, where we would only potentially see him once/twice a year. The evidence of a big money goalie winning a cup just doesn't come to show itself either.

The thing I don't get is why we need to focus on D and team defense so much when you have a supposed superstar backstop like Luongo. Shouldn't his mere existence in your net give you more means to go forward?

This alone is why I think, personally just my opinion, that the difference between a 900 s% and a 950s% being 5 million bucks may be better spent on another guy that could chip in 60-80 points. 7 million goalie to 2 million goalie and add a 5 million skater.

~ bonus points for the use of vociferous.

Gotta go before I fall off the soapbox ;) (Yes that wink was for you;) )

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny that doesn't mean anything as Schneider's team could be better than the one Ward had. Ward has proven himself in the NHL and I can't say I was impressed by Schneider although he can still prove himself. I just don't think he's going to be a top goalie in the league. Hopefully I'm wrong.

good call, never thought that through. Ward is an average at best tender during the regular season, but is a beast come playoff time.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN: I find your use of the winkie to be overly "vociferous" too.

~Tune in tomorrow for another big word.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Firefox will underline a misspelled word, you can right click it to change to correct spelling.

Dude: Leave my "Winkie" out of this :D

Technology is a wonderful thing (insert wink smilie here)

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schneider is currently the best Goalie in the AHL and has a <2.00 gaa and over .930 S% in the AHL playoffs at the moment.

Keep in mind that Schneider's performances in the Nucks Uni came during the worst home spell in franchise history.

His AHL numbers are actually better than Cam Wards were.

Schneider's stock definitely sunk this year with the Canucks and he would have to prove himself at the NHL level before they get anything of value for him.

He had one decent game then couldn't stop a beach ball during his stay up here and the Canucks had so much confidence in him that they traded for Labarberra and immediately started him ahead of Schneider.

Again, if Schneider's the real deal, he's not going to be traded anywhere until they find out what's going on with Luongo. Hopefully he isn't the Jason Krog of AHL goaltenders.

The Capitals need a goalie big time, but they can't afford to lose any of their assets.

If Luongo goes the UFA route, I can see him rolling the dice with the Wings, Capitals, Flyers, or maybe even the Hawks...taking less $$ to contend for the Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0