Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

English Premiership News 2003/2004

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Winter Break

Winter break experiment in 2004-5

The Premier League tonight voted in favour of the principle of introducing a winter break during the football season.

Chairmen from the top flight gave the green light to a two-year experiment whereby there will be a two-week break in January - as long as a balanced fixture schedule can be formulated and all the practical differences can be overcome.

If so, the experiment will begin next season, 2004-05, and continue for the following season before being reviewed.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson was delighted by the vote, as it was the Swede who urged the introduction of a mid-season break because he believes it will benefit the national team.

Eriksson put forward his arguments in favour of the break at a dinner in London where he spoke for an hour to Premier League chairmen and chief executives, who then discussed the proposal at their monthly meeting.

Eriksson told The Press Association: 'I received a warm welcome by the Premier League chairmen and it was a pleasure to be part of such a positive discussion and decision.'

A Premier League spokesman said: 'We had a very positive meeting today.

'Sven-Goran Eriksson presented a compelling case for a winter break being beneficial to all players and therefore helping team performances in the second half of the season, including that of the England team.

'As a result of this the clubs agreed in principle to the concept of a winter break and have charged the relevant executives from the Premier League, the Football Association and the Football League, with the task of developing a range of options as to what it would take to achieve such an outcome in an already congested calendar.'

Eriksson had feared opposition to the proposal because of issues surrounding fixture congestion, which would be made even worse by a two-week mid-season break.

The only way to handle such a change would be start the season sooner, finish it later or reduce the number of matches in between.

There is little prospect of the Premiership being reduced in size, while the Carling Cup still has enough support - and a European place - to continue and FA Cup replays remain set in stone. Therefore finishing the season later might prove to be the chosen option.

Cheers

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Winter Break

You hear about this today:

Walker fights to save face

Duncan Mackay
Sunday February 1, 2004
The Observer

Ian Walker was involved in an unsavoury altercation with a fan who ran on to the pitch to remonstrate with him during a crazy afternoon here, an incident that could see the Leicester City goalkeeper severely censured by the FA.
In the most serious incident of its kind since Eric Cantona kicked a fan in the crowd at Selhurst Park 10 years ago, Walker appeared to throw a punch at an angry home fan who had confronted him after the third of Villa's five goals. Walker appeared to be shaping to kick the fan as he lay on the ground before referee Jeff Winter, who had sprinted from the halfway line, pulled him away. Leicestershire police later confirmed that the supporter had been arrested for 'pitch encroachment'.

A similar incident involving Villa happened last season when their goalkeeper Peter Enckleman was threatened by a Birmingham City fan after conceding a goal at St Andrew's. Unlike Walker, however, he resisted the temptation to retaliate. 'I was stood by the box when I became aware of a fan coming towards me on the pitch,' said Walker. 'He came up to me and was abusive. I tried to push him away and attempted to restrain him while stewards came on to the pitch.'

It will be up to the FA to decide whether they charge Walker with bringing the game into disrepute when they receive Winter's report. Whatever happens, Leicester manager Micky Adams said that he does not intend to take any action. 'My main concern was for the safety of Ian Walker,' he said. 'He [the fan] could have been carrying any type of weapon and there wasn't a steward in sight. Mind you, the fan went down a bit too easily for my liking.'

Similar to Adams's team, in fact, on an afternoon that will long leave a bitter taste in Leicester mouths. Many of the rest of the home crowd, with a reputation for being among the most loyal in the Premiership, made their feelings clear by throwing programmes on to the pitch after the fourth goal. It led to the stadium announcer warning them that this, too, was a criminal offence and closed-circuit television would be used to identify the culprits. After that, many restricted their protests to walking out.

In the first half, Leicester at least matched their opponents, but in 19 tumultuous minutes at the start of the second it all fell apart as Villa recorded their first win at Leicester since April 1981, the year they were champions. 'What disappointed me is the reaction of the group of players when the first goal went in,' said Adams. 'They've let themselves down individually and as a group.'

It was even more spectacular than in the fixture at Villa Park in September, when they had conceded three goals in the first 15 minutes, and all the more unlikely because Villa were without top scorer Juan Pablo Angel through injury.

Things started to kick off in the 50th minute, when Thomas Hitzlsperger slipped the ball through and Darius Vassell placed a shot beyond Walker. Seven minutes later, Hitzlsperger swung in a corner for Peter Crouch to score his first Premiership goal since May 2002. It was no surprise that the 6ft 7in beanpole scored with his head, but he needed to stoop low to meet Hitzlsperger's corner, and Walker should have kept it out.

Then, in the 60th minute, Vassell struck again, setting in motion the unsavoury events involving Walker. Nolberto Solano, on his debut after a £1.5 million transfer from Newcastle United, hit in a cross for Gareth Barry to chest into the path of Vassell, who fired into the corner.

Walker, his concentration broken beyond repair, let in another soft goal four minutes later when he failed to hold Dion Dublin's header at the near post. His afternoon of misery was completed in the 68th minute, when Mark Delaney's cross was neatly cushioned by Crouch, who turned and fired low into the corner. It will not have been a good night in the Walker household last night.

Any fan who come onto the pitch like that and confronts a player, deserves to have seven shades punched out of him. If the FA charge Walker it will be a joke.

Daz :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having watched the top 3 teams in the Premiership over the last 2 days, I have to say, at least at this point in time, that the big Arse is DEFINITELY the best side. Chelsea's play is very individualistic. Obviously a talented team but they don't have the same flowing football that the big Arse produces. As arrogant as they are, they are fcuking good. United were VERY fortunate to come away with the 3 points yesterday and look very suspect at the back, without the drug addict in the back. So my money is on Arsenal to win the league. Chelsea will finish third. BTW, how nice was Johnson's goal and it was outdone by Henry. Great finishes.....

Captain

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Top 3 Premiership Teams

As much as I hate to admit it, Arsenal are in a class of their own this season.
As long as they don't endure major injury or suspension problems, they will, as Captain said, be champs this season. They have quality cover and depth in every department and don't loose a beat with subs or squad changes. To early to tell how Reyas (sp?) will settle in, but I'm sure he will only help in the run in for the Premiership.

Man Utd are always tuff to beat but they don't seem to have the flow and quality of Arsenal right now. Problems at the back continue to haunt them and they should definitely look to be replacing Roy Keane who is starting to look his age and doesn't have the sharpness he used to have. He is starting to get more frustrated with his own performances and it shows on the pitch. I'm sure his reoccuring hip injury is part of the problem.

As Captain said, Chelsea really are just a team of individuals who don't gell on the pitch. I expected much more from this group of players, but it just hasn't materialized. The balance is not right on the field. They are reading the same book, but are definitely not on the same page.

ARSENAL
MAN UTD
CHELSEA

Cheers

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No truer words .....

Crafty Cokcney said:
As much as I hate to admit it, Arsenal are in a class of their own this season.
Seconded :mad:.

Not to be blinded by my support for United, I certainly have to agree with Crafty and Captain's statements. Buying Saha was a big boost for the club but without Rio anchoring the back four and having any depth in midfield (especially out wide), we'll struggle the rest of the way. Southampton exposed us on the weekend and we were lucky not to get turned over by a couple of goals. However, there were two clear cut penalty's for United (how the fcuk did we not get at least one at Old Trafford ??? :D ). Southampton were missing many starters and still looked a better side for alot of the match.

I don't know if the match is on again this week but if you haven't seen it, check it out. One of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long while.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
English Premiership

Walks, got a chance to watch the match and also the EPL highlights last night.
Too right - great game.
Did wee Gordie have the Saints fired up or what?
Good to see Kevin Phillips do some damage too.
Maybe the Saha rocket off his noggin into the Saints' onion bag did some good. :D
Dodgy peno non-calls, bicycle kicks that put KNVB to shame , etc. this match had it all.

Also, Henry is the biggest, typical, French arrrogant tit IMO but fcuk man, can this guy play the game.
The intensity the guy shows is incredible.
His goal was phenomenal.
Sorry Sir Alex, Ruud has nothin on this guy.

And, to see Chelsea fight back with their incredible goal late in their match proves they do have a bit of bottle actually.
I wouldn't write them off yet lads.

As I don't post in here that often in the EPL thread, as I can't stand you Sassanach wanks ;), the EPL is awesome this year I must admit.

Jealous,

RF

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Defoe's a yid ....

Rangerforever said:
As I don't post in here that often in the EPL thread, as I can't stand you Sassanach wanks ;) .......
Do us all a favour then RF, piss off back to the Scottish Threads :D ;)

In further news today:

West Ham United have confirmed that Jermain Defoe has joined Tottenham for a fee of £7 million, with Bobby Zamora heading to Upton Park as part of the deal.

I just looked out the window and Crafty's on top of the Lions Gate :D

Gutted I'm sure ..........

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Defoe's a yid ....

Gutted I'm sure ..........[/QUOTE]

Not me.... ;)

And he's eligible to play in the FA Cup for us.

Daz :knvb:

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Defoe's a yid ....

Daz,

How could I forget about you ??!! :D

I'm sure all Spurs supporters are made up over the transfer. Kanoute, Keane and Defoe up front ??!!! Quality ........ It should be a battle every week with them running at you ......

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Defoe's a yid ....

Walks,

Abosolutely right. Don't forget Postiga. He is a very good young player, who is just taking some time to adjust to the EPL. Once he gets stronger and is able to handle himself better, he will be awesome. He has bags of skill trust me.

Some serious long-term investing going on here.

Keane 24yrs
Kanoute 26yrs
Defoe 21 yrs
Posti 21 yrs.

All internationals.

We need a midfield playmaker, which we will get in the form of Jay-Jay on a free in the summer.

And Paul Robinson will sign as well. The only thing that stopped that today was an EPL rule that says you can't sign for a club and play for another (or something like that) right away. Leeds wanted to borrow him back until the summer. A deal has already been done for him but it won't take effect until the summer.

I told you boys we were turning the corner slowly.

Still, Boro have signed another Brazilian to revel in the tropical oasis that is the Riverside :rolleyes:

Daz :D :D :D :D :D

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jermain Defoe

Good luck to the little cnut. It really is no surprise to see him go. His heart hasn't been there all season. We'll take the six million in the bank and hopefully get the other million down the road. With the money we have got for Defoe, James, Kanoute, Cole, Johnson, Sinclair and L. Ferdinand (6 out of 7 current international players) we can build for a future back in the Premiership if the money is spent wisely. Getting Zamora thrown in with the Defoe deal makes this an offer we can't refuse. Zamora is a West Ham supporter, so you know his heart is in the right place. He is better suited in Division 1 right now as he improves as a player and will obviously have a better chance of regaining some of the form we all witnessed prior to him joining Spurs.

Christian Dailly and Don Hutchinson are the only Internationals that no one has expressed any interest in.. :rolleyes: I wonder why.

Any offers lads.... They would fit right in with Surrey FC Rangers eh RF.

All in all, I'm happy with the Defoe deal and I'm only on top of the Lions Gate Bridge at the moment to practice my parachuting techniques.

Bombs Away..!!!!!!!

Cheers. :D

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Jermain Defoe

CC,

Zamora will do a good job for you. Even though he only scored one goal for Spurs (ironically against WHAM in the Carling Cup) he was well liked by the Tottenham faithful and will be great for you guys.

I really feel for you guys, but hope you get promotion again. It just shows the difference financially if you go down and how you have had to basically asset-strip to survive. Last season I was pulling for your lot to stay up. I never have anything against WHAM as they have a tradition of always trying to play attractive footy rather than route one.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Daz :cool:

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dazza said:
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers Daz.

West Ham are a Premiership club and we will be back. It's hard to believe with all that talent that we've sold that we actually went down, but the plug was pulled on Roeder far too late. As a club we have always been loyal, sometimes to our own detriment, but things have improved now and there is new sense of optimism around Upton Park.

Hopefully we will be back soon and Fastshow will let me post here on a more regular basis. ;)

Cheers

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crafty
You can have that donkey Sinclair back. ( we"ll keep James)

Daz
Defoe can't play if he has already played for wham in the cup. That's why James couldn't play last game.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dazza said:
I really feel for you guys, but hope you get promotion again. It just shows the difference financially if you go down and how you have had to basically asset-strip to survive.

Even if the Hammers had not been relegated they still would have had to sell players as they are in terrible debt. Relegation isn't pretty but it's made much more bearable by the EPL parachute payments. Where else do you get 6 - 8 million quid for failing?

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Kippers,

He didn't play for them in the FA Cup this season. He was suspended. He'll probably be on the bench on Wednesday, but could get a surprize start.

Jinks,

Yes, that is true, but it must be so hard to keep things together going down and then trying to come right back up. Looks like West Brom are doing a good job so far though, and I guess WHAM are in the playoff zone.

CC,

Yes, I remember they used to say that the WHAM job was the safest in footy other than the England one eg. Greenwood before he took the England reins, and Lyall. Today it seems like the Liverpool and Boro jobs are the safest. Look at Boro under McLaren..going nowhere, and it took them ages to sack Robson before him.

Daz

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dazza said:
Today it seems like the Liverpool and Boro jobs are the safest. Look at Boro under McLaren..going nowhere, and it took them ages to sack Robson before him.

Daz

Very true Daz, I like to refer to them as "Wannabee" managers with "Wannabee" players in "Wannabee" clubs.

Boro and Liverpool are content to be "Wannabee's".

Someone ought to tell McLaren that lots of foreign sounding names in the program every week doesn't mean you are going to play like Arsenal.

If Liverpool want to get back and compete with the best that the Champions League has to offer, they better get rid of their "Wannabee" contingent

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Daz
if Defoe is able to play, I'm sure he will. Him and Keane will have their way with City's usually stellar backline :rolleyes:.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: half-wits from abroad.......

I never have anything against WHAM as they have a tradition of always trying to play attractive footy rather than route one.

Brian Deane.

The lady in coatcheck has your things.

Jermaine Defoe is a tremendous signing who, once he gets one more red card, should be able to enjoy the rest of the season of ever so exciting mediocrity from the opulent surroundings of White Hart Lane's Oak Room.

Anyone seen my rose-tinted specs?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts