Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burnaby Men's League - Summer 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BURNABY MENS SOCCER LEAGUE STANDINGS

TEAMS.......WINS...LOSS...TIES..G.P..G.F.G.A...S.O..P/M.. PTs
SOCCER CITY.11.....1........0.....12....40....9.......5... 31... 33
SAPPERTON....8......1.......3......12...44....20..... 2....24.....27
SASC............. 8......2........2......12...41...32.......3.... 9....26
BOHEMIANS....6......4........2......12...38...20.......4...18.....20
KNIGHTS.........6......4........2......12...18...18.......4.....4 ...20
RED DEVILS....6.......6.......0......12...25...26.......0.... -1....18
POCO RNGRS..3.......6.......3.....12...19...31........2.... -12...12
POCO FURY.....2.......7.......3.....12...11...30........3....-19.....9
RAZORBACKS..2.......9........1.....12...19...30.......1... -11.....7
T'CITY STRKRS..1......7.......4......12...19...35.......1....-16.....7
POCO UNITED..1......7........4.....12...13...37.......2....-24..... 7

EAST DIVISION

Sapperton Rovers 27
South Africa S.C. 26
Bohemian's F.C. 20
Poco Rangers 12
Tricity Strikers 7
Poco United 7

WEST DIVISION

Soccer City ( Overall League Play/ Cup Winner/Champion) 33
Knights 20
Red Devils 18
Poco Fury 9
Razorbacks 7

Playoff Games - First Round

Wed July 9: Poco Rangers vs Soccer City (Score Big Bag??)

Thurs July 10: SASC vs Red Devils - Reeves Park -6:30 pm

Friday July 11: Sapperton Rovers vs Poco Fury - Pitt River Middle School, Poco

Sunday July 12 Bohemian's vs Knights - Reeves - 6:30 pm

I believe that the winner of the Rangers--- Soccer City game will play the winner of the Bohemian's --- Knights game.

The League this year was screwed up by a last minute drop out leaving 11 teams and a crazy schedule with some playing each other 3 times in 12 games with no inter-locking play. The cross over is coming only in playoff play.

This is down in games from the year of 17 games where they had an overall League Play Cup as they have this year, plus a cup for the playoff of the two divisions, and a third cup for winning the playoff rounds. We know as does Bohemians as Sapperton (then Clan Alumni) have won all 3 at some point in time.

Last year Sapperton went undefeated in League Play only to lose 4-3 in OT to Bohemians.

bigbag

Oct 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
quarter finals

SC 4-0 Poco Rangers

I thought we would play the winner of red devils and SA but I'm sure a higher power will keep me right!

:wa:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Second Round

Good result BigBag so I won't take this opportunity to TTP you in any way.

Soccer City (33 pts) as league winners will likely play the bottom remaining team and it could look like this:

Soccer City vs Poco Fury (9) if they beat Sapperton (27) OR
Soccer City vs Red Devils (18) if they beat South Africa and Sap wins

But if SASC wins over the Reds AND,
if Sap wins over the Fury,
THEN Soccer City should play the winner of Bohemians (20) and Knights (20) and Sapperton (27) should play SASC (26). That is if SC is given the right seeding.

This is really not clear from the way is shows in the schedule but I am pretty confident that is how it will go and I have emailed Vince this question and will post the result as it is not the league phone line.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Make sense?

Reccos, have you gone mad...

Let's remind you...this is the Burnaby Men's League!!!! Has anything ever made sense....

Coaches that are reffing...that is hilarious!!!!!!!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Question

What ever happened to the Diggers??? We were a force to be reckoned with back in the mid 90's!!!:rolleyes:
Does Georgie Porgie still try to play in midfield??? Last I recall (1995) he was 52 years young playing 86 minutes a match!!!:(

Wonderinghowtheleagueisthesedays,Guinness

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Diggers are lonnnnnnng ggggggoonnne

Diggers dropped out this year as with the exception of you, had all got old, fat and miserable.

I didn't know the great Guinness when the Diggers were in the League. By any chance did you play for them at Caribou Oval in a huge kick fest (them kicking us) about 5 years ago when we were Clan Alumni? Fcuk those guys were dirty that game.

JacktheLad: good to see the Red Devils stocking up for the playoff run. I was surprised by your won-loss total and that you scored one less goal (25) than you let in (26). Maybe the great striker Chris Slater should be up front for you guys. He knows how to score (or at least he did in O/30s a lot of years back).

Rumour has it that Iain Sneddon and Clarke have gone to Calgary to play. Without Iain and Clarke, if this is true, SASC are not the same team.

PS: ARGYLE: I waited all day for that pic of your neighbour. When is it going up?
;) ;)

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playoff Confirmation

Vince (who runs the league) confirms that the number one team Soccer City will play the lowest remaining team after round one as outlined above, etc.

(now over to Argyle's neighbour).

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Africa 1 - Red Devils 0

In what turned out to be a completely bizarre finish to a game ever and pissing all over Jack the Lad's player/coaching debut, the very experienced ref (does VMSL Premier games) declared the match over after he ejected a Red Devils player for what seemed from the sidelines, nothing too serious. I am not sure if there was close to 15 minutes left or not, but it was likely around there with Red Devils pressing a fair amount to even the score.

Rich Sumner of the Red Devils told me after that the ref thought the guy spat on him but from where I was standing (close to the incident) I didn't see that happen. Maybe it was sweat?? Dunno.

Having complained myself about a few reffing performances this year including BigBag's unbiased, full of integrity performance a short time back, I thought this experienced VMSL Premier ref wound have zero problems and would never have to declare a game over, especially a play off game. My view, for Big Bag to shite all over, the player had been sent off, continue to play the game to the end. It was not like this was a brawl or out of control situation.

SASC scored what apparently was a cracker in the first few minutes and that was it for the scoring. SASC had a player ejected early in the second half adding to the pressure and attack from the talented Reds who couldn't get it past a pretty fair SASC keeper. Despite the absence of Sneddon, SASC had a very good team out for this game and look very strong right now as they have been for most of the season.

The bizarre didn't end there, and the SASC camp after the game erupted in a shouting/grabbing incident amongst themselves that simply ended in an argument about playing time or something from one of their stronger players. It seemed to be dying down as I drove away and the beer was brought out.

The playoff picture is not 100 percent clear yet, but Bigbag's Soccer City League Champions for 2003 look set to play either
Poco Fury (9 pts), if the Fury can beat Sapperton tonight (27), but if Sapperton wins, Soccer City will play the winner of the game between Sid's tough Bohemian side (20) and the Knights (20).

If Sapperton wins they will play SASC for the 3rd time this season. One game was a lopsided win for Sapperton early in the season before they got players out they have now and a 3-3 tie.

JacktheLad: how did you see this???

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playoff Game

Sapperton 5 - Poco Fury 2.

There was no doubt from whistle to whistle in this game.
The Fury are young, lack overall strong talent and experience.

However, they did score 2 in the second half. One PK and the other from a scramble.

The same VMSL ref did this game as did the Red Devils - South Africa game last night which was abandoned. His version was that the player did try to spit on him but didn't as he had no spit.

The league now tell me that if the Knights beat Bohemians on Sunday night at Reeve Park, Soccer City will play South Africa and Sapperton will play the Knights as this would retain the cross over until the semi-finals.

Bohemians will have a good side out for this match as they usually do come playoff time.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This league should be FIFA sanctioned, Reccos! ;) It seems like it is pretty serious stuff. You're certainly on top of things. Good luck the rest of the way.

Jack The Lad

Jan 20, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos

Our game two nights ago was abondonded because one of our players who was ejected after receiving 2 yellow cards spat in the referee's direction. This referee has been in the middle for our last 3 games and each time he loses control a little bit and sends somebody off. He is very inconsistent. He will call fouls for good hard challenges but allow a 7'0 goalie to elbow me in the face on a corner kick. The referee was standing right beside us and said that I can't stand in front of the goalie. Since when was that a rule. Anyways - terrible way to finish the season. I don't think the game should have been abandoned but at the same time it is completely out of order and unsportsmanlike to spit on anyone.

As far as the game goes, SASC is a very strong side. We were pressing for the equalizer before the alleged incident. Anyways, good luck to all those that are left. I would like to see SASC or Sapperton win it.

JTL

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bohemians over Knights

Stopped by and caught part of the Bohemians - Knights playoff tonight and watched Bohemians get what appeared to be an easy win despite seeing a few good players on the Knights.
Not sure of the score but I saw 3 goals by Bohemians and none for the Knights while there.

Now we are told that the semi-finals for sure will be:

South Africa vs Soccer City, Wednesday at Burnaby Lake turf at 6:45 pm.

Sapperton Rovers vs Bohemians at 6:30 pm at Reeves on Thursday night.

All four teams in the finals look to be fielding pretty good sides right now.

The much coveted Burnaby Mens Summer Cup final is set for Wednesday, July 23 at Burnaby Lake.

PS: Congratulations to Sean Sneddon and his beautiful wife on the birth of a daughter today!
All the best from the Sapperton Rovers in the BMSL! :)

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
oor wee wullie

sneddy best wishes with my new niece ainsley cameron sneddon

wee american scotch lassie

best of luck sean ,diane & wee ainsley sneddon

gary

CORMONE

;) ;) :D

:bronco: :knvb: :wa: :eek: :eek:

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
congats

Well done biggan,congats to you and your misses on your lovely
new baby girl!

This is when it all begins.(or ends?)
coach.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Times and No Sleep

Congrats Sean, well there will be no more getting pissed with the boys at Nations and cheering on Scotland from the Pint Garden. Its all dirty bums and lots of spit-up from the creat'n weans.

Good luck buddy, well done.

cj

Eddie The Machete

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it me, or do these semi-final pairings not make sense. The top 4 teams in the league are left, right? 1- soccercity 2-Sapperton 3- South Africa 4- Bohemians. Then why is the first place team overall having to play the third place team and the second place team is playing fourth place team? If this is the case then Soccercity should have aimed to finish second so they could have played the crappier Bohemians instead of having to play the stronger team. Reccos, would you care to elaborate more on this for me?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eddie and the Semi-finals

Eddie:

You are spot on. Theoretically, Soccer City, League Champs overall, are being screwed by this format.

Despite that we were told it would not be this format, the League in its wisdom decided that they would carry on with the cross over between the two groups rather than do it as you point out based on points: 1 v4, and 2 v3, which is a standard playoff format in a 4-team playoff situation. This year has been very strange indeed as we will be facing Bohemians for the 4th time in 14 games!

I said theoretically wrong because there is really not much difference between SASC and the Bohemians as both teams have got better teams out now than at the start and there is very little to separate them in quality of play. It is a toss up between them as to who I would prefer to play as both are top sides right now.

Both playoff games should be very well played by quality teams.

Eddie The Machete

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos,

I just got a call from Vince and he told me that Soccercity is playing Bohemians, not SAFC on wednesday night. Is that what you have heard or is Vince not sure of what is going on? Once again, could you please help me understand the situation.

THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0