Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCPL- BC Premier League: Proposal

lfc3

Sep 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now here is something to think about for religation and promotion in this new Premier league.
3 up 3 down. 1 from each league.
so if the VMSLs teams were 1234 in the league their bottom team would be religated and yet they are in 4th spot. or is it that over time the VMSL could have 10 of the 12 spots..hypathetically speeking.
Do you catch what im asking here???
eg standings.
1 VMSL
2 VMSL
3 VISL
4 FVSL
5 VMSL
6 FVSL
7 VISL
8 VMSL
9 FVSL
10 FVSL
11 VISL
12 VISL

Who would be religated fom this eg.?
10-11-12 or 8-10-12

From my understanding, 10 11 and 12. If it happens to be 3 FVSL teams the first year so be it. Each league would promote 1 team up and at the end of the day more 'VMSL' member clubs, that's the way it should be. Why reward a team simply because of association or geography?

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
IFC3 so what you think is eventually it could be 10 VMSL teams and 1 VISL and 1 FVSL team..OK i do agree but what about Interior teams comeing in,,I guess same rules apply..
still I like this new Idea..
I like it alot

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was lucky last summer to be able to sit and chat with various members of the national team (coach mitchell paid for all the drinks :D). Sounds like most of the complaints were directed towards the CSA and provincial bodies. The focus/mandate is not to develop MNT players. Problem #1.

Problem #2 was funding. My complaint was the adidas sponsorship signed by Kevin Pipe. No doubt this has handcuffed the CSA from selling National team gear. Merchandisng, especially to kids could be a gold mine. (we did get some sweet black dryfit tanktops for the entire team:D).

Problem #3. Kids need to be identified at an early age to even stand a chance to get to the elite level. Provincial bodies are not capable this.

Problem #4. $13M budget doesn't get you much (and that's for all programs).

Every week at our training and games, I hear the complaints from guys who went through the program (Kuschy, Ninja, etc) about the state of affairs with the MNT. We briefly talked about position specific soccer schools. Best idea was an all-year around sports academy which included elementary and high school teaching, dormitories, sports med and training facilities. Partly funded by corporate sponsors and % of professional contract if kids reach their goals. Hockey has a school called Notre Dame in Saskatchewan which is similar, except they do it on the basis of tuition fee rather than taking a cut of their future salary. The sports academy would be in-charge of taking players on tours and getting them contacts in Europe. Sounds a bit like what the Whitecap is doing except they will take anyone with money. Start-up fees are unfortunately through the roof.

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
i love the principal idea and yes there is a hell of a lot of questions to be asked and sorted out.
one of my issues with local soccer is there is no real pyramid system, win your prem league then what, be it f.v.s.l. v.i.s.l. or v.m.s.l. you have no where higher to aim.
so Langley win f.v.s.l. prem then what go to v.m.s.l. no they have to buy their way in, if there is an opening.there is no doubt that they would be a great addition to that league but right now its just not viable.
Once the higher league is in place and a team can win their way into a higher league and play at their home park, perhaps some of the players who travel from all over the valley to play v.m.s.l. will no longer have to, and the home teams will be stronger.

all this talk about it could end up with 10 v.m.s.l. teams and one from the island and one from the valley, as teams are right now then maybe. But if the v.m.s.l. guys ask arround the dressing room as to where guys live.???

maybe these guys dont want for what ever reason to play for their home team other than the level of soccer, but the next era of player's coming through would if the standard was there to be attained.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI regarding Australian Institute of Sports in Canberra

Mission statement: to develop elite sport in Australia by providing facilities and funding to sporting organisations and potential elite athletes.

Approximately 700 athletes now receive scholarships from the Institute each year. These athletes receive top level coaching; access to equipment, sport science and medicine facilities; accommodation, meals and travel; and assistance with education and career planning.

Annual Budget: $240 M, which includes operating a 65 acre campus. The ATO (Australia's CRA) allows donations as a tax deduction. They raised another $131M through donations since 1986.

Now tha's a sports crazed country that demands results. In Canada, you're a winner for participating.

Services provided:

> sports coaching and administration within AIS elite and development programs

> elite athlete welfare, including athlete career and education

> athlete talent identification

> sports sciences (physiology, physical therapies, biomechanics and performance psychology), sports medicine and sports-related technologies and systems

> sports funding, and development and advisory services for national sporting organisations

> sports information

> a national community-based program of after-school activities for children

> international aid programs to develop community sport in other countries

> management and development of ASC-owned facilities, grounds and events

> commercially run business activities in swimming, fi tness, retail and tours available to the general public

> corporate and business support functions in information technology, human resource management, legal services, fi nance, research, media and public relations, publishing, marketing and sponsorship, security and facilities management

> management of, and administrative support for, governance and management of the ASC.

No wonder we can't compete.

lfc3

Sep 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
IFC3 so what you think is eventually it could be 10 VMSL teams and 1 VISL and 1 FVSL team..OK i do agree but what about Interior teams comeing in,,I guess same rules apply..
still I like this new Idea..
I like it alot

not at all, Gorge treights and one other team always appears strong from the Island at Prov time and I guarantee Lang/PAU/ACBC/POCO given where these 3 teams are right now, not past, not future would not be run over in the VMSL playing every week at all.

And it's LFC, LFC3.

See you Sunday!

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saturday afternoon (maybe night for you... heading to bed at 8pm) at 4pm is a brilliant game time.

"Honey... I won't be home for dinner tonight... game wont be over til 6. Yes... I know the kids eat at 5:30. Sorry babe. After the game we have to have our post-game talk... and a few pints... bit of a write-off, eh. Oh well... lets have a family day Sunday. I'll make pancakes."

Give Kippax or Burnro a PM for signing up next year.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bluebird,I beleive you will be correct,,I see it already as I recruit new players. FVSL is getting stronger.
Infact Most if not all local PCSL teams are from the valley.

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI regarding Australian Institute of Sports in Canberra

Mission statement: to develop elite sport in Australia by providing facilities and funding to sporting organisations and potential elite athletes.

This is an excellent point, and one my wife (as an aussie) likes to harp on. Canada needs to drastically increase funding to its athletic programs and athletes if it ever really expects to accomplish much on the world stage in anything other than hockey (or curling for the fat beer drinkers out there... wait, that's most of us:rolleyes:...). We are, unfortunately, a one- sport nation (of course it is the best sport...;)).

To put into perspective the power of the Aussie model, when my wife first moved to Canada (7 years ago) the Australian Soccer League (I think it's called the A league) was pretty bush - made USL look good. Change in management, support from AIS, couple years go by, and the A league is somewhere that Aussie players want to compete in, draws in decent international players and helped to develop players for an Aussie national team that was (really) robbed in the quarterfinals of the 2006 World Cup (damn IT's... that's in case she lurks...;)).

now aussies are pretty sports crazy - they watch rugby union, rugby league, AFL, soccer and cricket pretty religiously - and fill up good size stadiums at the same time. Think of GM place to BC place sell-outs over 4-5 leagues... all in a country of less than 25million.

but the model is there, if we wish to emulate it and try for our own successes... and there are similar in population demographics with only 5 cities having more than 1 million people, and the top 5 comparable to our top 5.

we just need the political will to change the system...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't really see what this does other then make a VMSL league a little stronger then it is for players that are not good enough to go anywhere. Maybe BC will win more national championships for men's soccer but will it really produce more National level players. Big waste of time in my opinion, I rather see a championsleague style competition every year instead.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Benefits:

Higher profile to our game
Higher level of competition
More opportunities to 'feature' big games
Trickle-down effect for individual leagues

Please keep this thread on track and don't turn it into how this benefits the National Team or the Aussie Sport Model. Start a new thread for that if you want.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Key point in here is what Regs mentioned in his last post: "More opportunities to 'feature' big games." This would be the chance to feature a group that actually cares about trying to get media attention for the sport (Unlike WA's version of the VMSL), and has enough talent to showcase to keep the attention. There is absolutely no reason why a league like this shouldn't be able to garner at least as many column inches as senior lacrosse does.

The biggest issue raised so far has been the size of the player pool available to support this. Honestly, I don't think that this is as much of a concern as it could possibly be - remember, the idea isn't to create new teams, but to deal with ones that already exist. More of an issue as to whether there are enough small stadia to take this to the next level that it deserves to be run at.

Trece

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Benefits:

Please keep this thread on track and don't turn it into how this benefits the National Team or the Aussie Sport Model. Start a new thread for that if you want.

agree

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

bang on .... this is not to benefit the national team ....thats not our concern what is however is how this will benefit us and i truly believe this would be huge for senior mid / high range soccer in the lower mainland

Key point in here is what Regs mentioned in his last post: "More opportunities to 'feature' big games." This would be the chance to feature a group that actually cares about trying to get media attention for the sport (Unlike WA's version of the VMSL), and has enough talent to showcase to keep the attention. There is absolutely no reason why a league like this shouldn't be able to garner at least as many column inches as senior lacrosse does.

The biggest issue raised so far has been the size of the player pool available to support this. Honestly, I don't think that this is as much of a concern as it could possibly be - remember, the idea isn't to create new teams, but to deal with ones that already exist. More of an issue as to whether there are enough small stadia to take this to the next level that it deserves to be run at.

Trece

and i agree with both points here we may just may get a mention in a news paper for a change and yes there is plenty of tallent in this area to make this work
the best we can do is voice our support for this not point out all the its n bits that need to be looked at they have a committee who will sort all that out let them set it up :)..... then we can tell them where they went wrong :rolleyes:
but honestly this is what the lower mainland needs right now, to shake up what has become a stale soccer community.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Benefits:

QUOTE]

Sure, creating a super men's rec league will create opportunities for a slightly higher calibre games but that assumes the talent pool in this league is in fact higher. So developing the elite player probably won't happen. Fine.

So one possible benefit is greater profile. Debatable. Isn't or wasn't PCSL suppose to be this sort of higher calibre league. Fan support is iffy at best. Wouldn't this simply be the PCSL league in the winter? And some have mentioned essentially we are playing amateur recreational men's soccer. That's the key. Why should the Sun or Province write articles about it? They don't since the readers don't care and it doesn't sell papers. They leave that to local papers if you write one for them. And are these games really gonna get more crowds out?

If you want fans and a higher profile, maybe create a Nation's Cup league running 5 months instead. One week featuring Italy vs Germany and the next Scotland vs Ireland, etc. (you''ll get your feature game of the week benefit) Players from other parts of the province can fill roster spots and you're only spending money on a few players instead of whole team (reduction of cost is a good benefit). Ethnic fan base at these games will be larger and then, maybe the bigger papers will report it (gives a reason for soccer to deserve a higher profile). Of course ethnic teams poses different problems but the question was getting higher profile.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jungleboy you make good points..But people do care and the paper does cover JR A and B hockey and Highschool Basketball and football..Paper coverage may be small at first like jr hockey tuesdays but it will grow, and you have to start somewhere..
You guys also keep thinking in your minds of soccer and talent today and put these teams and players in this new league as you imagine it..As soccer grows the teams will get younger and better and you will have players comming out of this league and going places for sure.,,Hell ,I say start this new Premier league this comeing fall and get on with it...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0