Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCPL- BC Premier League: Proposal

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is probably the worst kept secret around, so I'll throw it out there for discussion.

A little birdie sent me a copy of the FVSL minutes. I've cut n' pasted this excerpt:

BCPL- BC Premier League discussion regarding the formation of a NEW league to elevate the standard throughout the regular season to include the best of the best from the 3 main leagues (VISL,VMSL,FVSL) into 1 PREMIER division.

After brief discussion all 3 leagues were in agreement in principle that this is a project they would like to see go ahead and be in place for the start of the 2010 season.

Items for future discussion-
  • Season start- September 2010- 22 Game Schedule. Schedule to plan double headers on Weekends for travelling teams.
  • Administration- Minimum 3 member Executive- Mandated 1 member from each league.
  • Discipline- HOME league process their own players
  • Relegation/Promotion- In a 12 team league there would be 3 teams relegated with 1 from each league promoted.
  • Prov. Cup Tournament- Remain as is with the number of participating teams from the BCPL, VISL, VMSL, and FVSL to be determined.
  • 10 or 12 teams- 12, to expand as we go forward, to include Interior.
  • Website- HOME league promote their teams and information for participants in BCPL.
  • Scheduling- HOME leagues schedule their participants HOME games.
  • Scheduling- Referees- HOME league schedule referees for their own teams.
  • Travel Fund- Each member team would submit an amount into the fund to be used for teams travelling.
  • HOME League Cups- Each leagues HOME Cup competitions would continue with their BCPL teams allowed to participate. E.g. VISL- Jackson Cup; VMSL- Imperial Cup; FVSL- Pakenham Cup.

Plan of action-

• February- Discussion paper reviewed by HOME Executive Committees.
  • February- Approval- Meet with Premier teams, major clubs.
  • March- Approval- This group meet again in 1st week of March in Tsawwassen.
  • June
- Approval and Ratification at AGM’s

At completion announce that the next season 2009/2010 will serve as a qualifying platform for the NEW BCPL.

Personally feel this is long overdue, a great idea, and badly needed to help improve the elite level of play in BC.

Discuss.

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The other issue is eventually changing the playing season to the calender year to allow the interior teams to participate....BCSA is also looking at changing the playing season which would align us with the rest of the country and the nationals.

more to follow

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that should be as high a priority. Get on the same page as everyone else. That would even better suit the meshing of the individual leagues w/ the top teams playing in the BCPL.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
And, with the movement of these teams to a different season, parks open up for a Masters O-40 Premier league!! Can we double down on smart things to do at this upcoming meeting?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why over 40 when you already have O-35? Make it O-45, and you have a discussion starter.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had a meeting with a BCSA coach yesterday and this topic of seasons came up. They have already sat down with the parks people from the major municipalities and talked about changing field use to different times of year and they were met with some resistance. Some municipalities were willing to try while others said no way. I can't see this happening any time soon.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
O-40 because it is the right age. To have an entire team of over 40s (and no underage-grandfathering), your average age is probably 45 years old. You don't just magically get a whole team of 40 year olds. In the Masters premiere right now, you have a bunch of teams who are deep into their 40s who want to get to a new league of quality, but not have to chase around 32-35 year olds (yes, 32 is the new 20 year olds:eek:). In VMSL and FSVL, I believe there are almost 10, possibly 12 teams that could and would enter this:
Westside, Firemen (maybe with MF, maybe without), Inter, SU, SFU, Westvan, maybe Columbus. I think there might also be 1-2 teams from FSVL (Aldergrove, and possibly combining from a few teams).

Sorry to hump this into the wrong thread, but if we are going to make changes. Let's just get it done while people are still in soccer. The problem is that people start to drop out of soccer, or play down into much worse leagues and take ugly tackles, nevermind be forced to drink shitty beer:D

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this champion league style where a team plays in their regular league and then have additional games in the BC league? Or will it be pulling so called "better players" to this new league.

Some problems:

a) funding (for sure more cost like travel)

b) the goal of "elite". Personally it's the grassroots that will be producing the elite players. Once your pass 21-22, your chances are next to zero. So maybe inappropriate use of resources. My definition of elite would be someone capable of playing on our national team which would be a good starting point. The proposed league will not create better players since your target age will be of no real use when defining elite. Maybe one top men's league will be marginally be better but the overall pool of players in the province I can't see improving.

c) If teams are only playing in one league and the new league draws the "better players", it'll just water the the 3 remaining leagues.

d) If some teams are playing in both leagues, you better be training more qualified referees.

e) Committment of players. Add another 22 games to their busy lives.

If we want to produce better players, I think we need better talent recognition at an earlier age (by qualifed personel) and then re-open the national training center near SFU (or wherever central). Use resources with a purpose instead of sprinkling it haphazardly on recreation soccer.

I worked in Australia and saw first hand the national training center of excellance. Most will agree that country has a great sports program with exceptional funding. You don't see them wasting money on older athletes. Grassroots and bringing all the athletes to Canberra for year around training was there solution.

Sort of off topic but related, in another thread about the national team, we'll only see change if the national team program is ran outside the provincial bodies. The organizational structure needs to be changed. BCSA's primary goal is still of a recreational nature.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few thoughts.
Relegation/Promotion- In a 12 team league there would be 3 teams relegated with 1 from each league promoted.
-All things being as they are these days, how long would it be until it was (The BCPL) was the VMSL Premier Division with 1 VISL Team and 1 FVSL team? Or does this new league attract the better youngsters to some of the FVSL teams?
The League would have to stay put where it is, or it will kill an already dying PCSL, or be met, like Utah said, with massive resistance by the authorities that dole out the field permits.
I don't like the idea of doubleheaders at this level. I know the Whitecaps do it, and most USL & PDL teams do, but they have deeper squads on payrolls. Playing Two games that mean something (most tourneys are pissups, less face it, Provincials and Nationals aside) I know the travel costs will be prohibitive, but isn't that what sponsors and fundraisers are for? ;)

Just some thoughts out of my pea-brain. :)

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
100% behind this concept.

But... if it is going to be played in the summer... and will include teams from all over the province... isnt this pretty much the same as the PCSL???

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you see what Dude posted above 6'5 you will see that this is to be run alongside the FVSL, VMSL & VISL, their "premier or elite" sides will compete here instead of their home leagues.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dying PCSL ?
Jonny its growing and doing well.
This great new Premier league idea is for now, a Winter league. You have 2 topics here ,the new league and moveing to summer..Yes they do sort of go hand in hand when talking about Interior teams but for the record Im from Kelowna and both Kelowna and Kamloops have new turf fields and are talking about playing a short winter season, Actually its the same season as we play here now with the only difference a few more weeks off between the snowy holidays. meaning more home games in the fall and late spring and more coastal away games in the months of snow,that with removeing snow without damageing the new turf was discused.
So what I see happening short term is a New winter premier league and in the close future a few interior teams joining the winter league as a trial and then mabee a move to summer..
But from what I hear at the PCSL meetings is more growth and change too.
PCSL is discussing some very cool changes. they have been around for a very long time so dont think they will roll over and die easy.
The PCSL from what I have seen are very well organized and very well run.
They have Ideas of getting more slots in the Provincials as they so should (good or bad) they are a member of BC soccer and rules are rules. Doing away with the reserves division and adding promotion and religation between the 2 divisions. creating a Premier and div 1 PCSL.
Since we have joined my email has lite up with lots of you asking questions on how I am finding the league and asking me to keep in touch with you as how we find things this year,with travel,reffing and game times and all. The interest from so many about the PCSL is incredable.
Who knows what will really happen but I for one am very happy and exsited for once as I finnally see soccer in BC heading in the right direction.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jungleboy makes great points, but that being said, this is an initiative- it appears- outside of BCSA or CSA. This appears stricly a three league initiative to bring together the best amature players and teams. My use of the word "Elite" should have been "Best Amature".

This league isn't going to make Canada better- directly, anyhow- but it'll improve amature fotty around these parts.

Anyhow, step 1 is clearly creating a top flight Premier league that is geographically representative of the area. Step 2, moving to summer (much more difficult task).

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
i have some of the same thoughts as jungleboy - isn't all the local men's leagues (VMSL, FVSL, VISL) essentially just rec leagues. how many players from even the top premier teams get a chance to play pro or at a national or international level? sure, it is more fun for the guys to have better competition (and equivalent competition) but in the grand scheme of things, is this where we want to focus our efforts and funding?

the vmsl is having a debate on how to restructure their leagues to "even up" the divisions a little better and there have been similar debates about the divisional make-up in the fvsl, but i think things probably work decently now, so why fix it, if it isn't going to improve Canada soccer on a national or international level. that is going to require focus and effort put into the youth and college programs and improving the level and opportunities of semi-pro and pro soccer in canada.

unless you are in pro and international soccer level by your early 20s, I seriously doubt you will ever be playing soccer in a level higher than a "rec league" premier team.

and dude answered some of my comments while i was typing:rolleyes:

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now here is something to think about for religation and promotion in this new Premier league.
3 up 3 down. 1 from each league.
so if the VMSLs teams were 1234 in the league their bottom team would be religated and yet they are in 4th spot. or is it that over time the VMSL could have 10 of the 12 spots..hypathetically speeking.
Do you catch what im asking here???
eg standings.
1 VMSL
2 VMSL
3 VISL
4 FVSL
5 VMSL
6 FVSL
7 VISL
8 VMSL
9 FVSL
10 FVSL
11 VISL
12 VISL

Who would be religated fom this eg.?
10-11-12 or 8-10-12

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the positives of having a true amateur elite league aside, what is this going to do to the current premier leagues? Take the top 4 out of any league especially the current FVSL right now... well, there isn't much, if anything left. I would assume the same on the Island.

Also, I can not see having a adult elite league helping Canada nationally at all. As Bertuzzzi coined, it is what it is. Rec.

Now, if you did this at the youth level and elect Jonesy president of all things holy and sweet, then you may have something to look forward to.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0