Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCPL- BC Premier League: Proposal

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This BCPL will without a doubt be better for BC soccer, and will help with our BC teams in nationals etc. I do believe tho it will weaken the FVSL for sure, because without the ACBC calibre of teams the competition level won't be near as high as the BCPL. I can't say much about the VMSL or the VISL because I have never played in those leagues. With three leagues joining into one, and the top team from each league advancing to the BCPL every year, will the bottom three be relegated? I ask because if that's the case, we could end up with a BCPL league filled with VMSL teams, with one Island team and one FVSL team, just because the talent level isn't the same in the other leagues.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is great for players that make that league! The ones that don't well unfortunately don't deserve to be at the top amateur level to begin with. We have accepted a lower level of top amateur soccer for far too long and the players involved on both side have to realize this if soccer wants to go anywhere in BC.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This BCPL will without a doubt be better for BC soccer, and will help with our BC teams in nationals etc. I do believe tho it will weaken the FVSL for sure, because without the ACBC calibre of teams the competition level won't be near as high as the BCPL. I can't say much about the VMSL or the VISL because I have never played in those leagues. With three leagues joining into one, and the top team from each league advancing to the BCPL every year, will the bottom three be relegated? I ask because if that's the case, we could end up with a BCPL league filled with VMSL teams, with one Island team and one FVSL team, just because the Talent level isn't the same in the other leagues.

Right. So in a couple of years you'll be back to the VMSL as it looks now.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luch...Thats what the VMSL is counting on. But I dont think that is what will happen.
But on this topic we will just have to wait and see.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What your counting on is all VMSL players who live in the Valley to simultaneously decide to leave the clubs they are currently with to join Valley teams in the BCPL. Why hasn't it happened yet? You assume that these players will want to fork out the extra cash to travel to the island to have 35 instead of 15 people watch them play, still get no coverage in local media, just because of the fact that it's the BCPL. There are many people here who are very skeptical of this happening just because you say it's going to.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Media will cover it, Stories have already poped up a year before the league has started. With the MLS here and with our league administrators sending in game reports. We will get coverage. Most likely in the Tuesday Province where all Jr sports are covered.
Really all it takes is someone sending in quality reports like the VMSL weekly report on here. News Is news. More Spectators will show up for the double header games for sure,provideing the weather is good as always.LOL .
As for players jumping ship..LOL it has started already. But thats not what Im counting on..I look to the future with the younger players comeing up ,They will stay with their respective clubs .
Guys in the Valley who play on teams from downtown already spend more money on fuel to make games and training so staying in thier area to play will allow them to spend that money on different travel...Bash me all you want..I come from a hockey back ground..So I have experiance in Team travel and intercity play...And it is the best....House leagues stay home and the best players play the best from other areas.
we all keep complaining about this yet every single sport does it except soccer..Go figuar.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously, from a hockey background, what adult recreational league is there with teams from Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, and Vancouver Island? Doesn't happen with hockey, won't happen with soccer. No other sport does this at a recreational level for adults.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I have experiance in Team travel and intercity play...And it is the best....House leagues stay home and the best players play the best from other areas.
we all keep complaining about this yet every single sport does it except soccer..Go figuar.

Ghouse I played rep hockey for a few years...

Hockey does this with kids...

They don't do it with adults who have families, work, etc.

I travelled a lot when I played rep hockey as a child and teenager. Different time, different age group. Comparing minor hockey travel to adult soccer is a bad example.

I wonder how much travel the guys who play beer league hockey out of 8 rinks and the other arenas do?

They have a Div 1 which is made up of ex junior hockey players ,college players, etc. I highly doubt they travel to the island for some mens league hockey games.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously, from a hockey background, what adult recreational league is there with teams from Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, and Vancouver Island? Doesn't happen with hockey, won't happen with soccer. No other sport does this at a recreational level for adults.
They do in other provinces, it's called Senior A.

If you have ever heard of the Allan Cup, the teams that compete in that are Senior A... basically full of has-beens and never-weres from elite hockey.

This is the level of hockey that Don Sanderson died playing in, in a fight in last year playing for the Whidby Dunlops

There isn't this in BC, because in BC the leagues are organized by the owners of the facilities (Canlan and the ASHL, etc) Which send teams to their Nationals and Internationals among their ownership holdings elsewhere.

So, you are right and wrong, not to get lost in semantics, but yes, it does happen, just not in BC where it SHOULD be happening.

for reference: Allan Cup 2010 Fort St John, B.C.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't the Allen Cup a once a year tournament, similar to the Senior Nationals for men's soccer?

That would be once a year travel, unlike the new BCPL.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't the Allen Cup a once a year tournament, similar to the Senior Nationals for men's soccer?

That would be once a year travel, unlike the new BCPL.

Yes but to make the Allen Cup you must win all the Playdowns which travelling is a must. And look at the leagues these teams come from,they all travel with in their league too.
Rugby,Football,Hockey,Lacrosse all travel.
Hell curling,figuar skateing,Skiing,Boarding,Golf and any sport where you are at the highest level..you must travel...Or not and play down a level because you are done with that. (for what ever reason).

The Phantom

Oct 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly Gurps.

Has anyone noticed that throughout this whole discussion it is the mainly the vocal minority in the FVSL that wants this

Seriously, why would we in the VMSL want to change right now with how strong and competitive our league is

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read BCPL as FVSL and maybe VISL teams trying to gain credibility under the guise of developing youth or Provincial level soccer. I say this serves special interests, and will not develop the above. The VMSL is just fine, and adding the other leagues will degrade things. I say the top teams compete for a spot in the VMSL, a couple of teams could do OK. But they should have to pay for their own travel. But earn it on the field.

The Phantom

Oct 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Ghouse, who is going to pay for the travel and accomodations for the island games (considering they will be back to back games).

Will the league cover it or will the league charge a huge registration fee to the players to cover the costs

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes but to make the Allen Cup you must win all the Playdowns which travelling is a must.

Yes, but on the same page...to make Nationals teams in BC must travel too.

Vancouver teams to Island, Island To Fraser valley, etc.

Thus, you must win the playdowns here too just like the Allan Cup.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Allan Cup is a National Tourney yes, but you have teams (Fort St John Flyers) travelling all over the place playing games... (Grande Praire, Dawson Creek, Hythe)

To get to the Allan Cup you have to win the Savage Cup , The BC Cup, then win the McKenzie Cup (BC vs AB)

The leagues have a great deal of travel, especially the teams outside of Ontario's 2 leagues.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0