Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Provincial Cup Draw MEN 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Gilmour

Sep 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
....was mocking him. it was a clear peno

fak i do feel bad for Columbus though. I tipped them to go all the way, even come October..

shutitmuppet... a little afternoon reading for ya

From the Fifa rule book

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
into consideration:
the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is
an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts​
as an infringement

doesnt seem like a CLEAR peno to me

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Below is a cut/paste job... I have highlighted the part for those of you questioning the referee... from darkmeat's link.

Handling the ball
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is
an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts
as an infringement
Disciplinary sanctions
There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour
is required when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a
player:
• deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent
gaining possession
• attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball
A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring
opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment
arises not from the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but
from the unacceptable and unfair intervention that prevented a goal
being scored.

The referee takes into CONSIDERATION, which means there is a human element.

Until such a time that robots that are programmed to be perfect start gracing our pitched to officiate games, human error will play into it, and even then we will get pissed off about calls that we disagree with. ;)

the laws might be the laws, but some human has to whistle fouls and enforce/hand down punishments as directed by TGOTG.

Interesting that the words "Natural Position" are not there either, I have heard during games people argue this to officials too... :rolleyes:

For our referees: Has the wording in this LOTG changed in the last 5 or so years?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Page 121 also comes into consideration too:
Denying a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity
There are two sending-off offences that deal with denying an opponent
an obvious opportunity to score a goal. It is not necessary for the offence
to occur inside the penalty area.
If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s
handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent
off but he may still be cautioned.
Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding
whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring
opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity may be an...

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL

when you are in the penalty area and the ball is directed towards the goal OR in favour of a goal scoring opportunity - 99% of referees will call for a PK, at any level, in any match.

Once again, I feel bad for Columbus, really do. but complaining about the pk's and about a couple of their red-cards is just a fkcing mockery. I couldnt even imagine how many F-bombs, balls kicked on the field etc etc.. that would have gone off if the pk's WEREN'T called, in the event that the same situation happened inside the Surrey box, and the ref didn't award Columbus with the spotter.

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
haha ya, kinda funny ... After scotty got red carded i calmly went up to the ref and said "what for" he looked me in the eye, lips quivering, eyes watering and said "guys he said **** off" ... I was a completely blown away.. And a little disturbed at seeing a grown man almost cry so i just walked away and went in the wall... And as for my hand ball on the second peno... I was standing at the top left corner of the box... The cross had missed everyone and was gunna roll out of the box to the sideline to their right mid... It skips off the grass, off my stomach and then brushes my arm which was glued to my body, not away from my body... But i guess it wasnt a big game or a big moment... And the ref did owe su another call so it was justified to completely decide the game on a totally innocent play.. Kinda surprised i didnt get a red for it.... Kindel, john and pete deseved the reds... Everyone saying riz deserved to be sent from that game and forced to miss a potential quarter final game for what he did is absolutely retarded... The drama on the sideline was kinda expected based on the absolute mayhem that was going on and pretty sweet if u ask me... Anyone who says that if that screwjob happened to them or their team and they wouldnt have lost their mind is lying... Interesting side note i found is that that was the first time ive ever really seen in amateur or pro sport a game with that much emotion and mayhem where all of the commotion wasnt team vs team as both teams had no real problem with one another... At the end of the game both teams were talkin with no animosity as both sides tried to comprehend what had just happened... U know a ref and lineo are on top of the game when me and clarkey are allowed to greco-roman style wrestle in the 18 yard box for a realistic 7 count while the play continues and no stoppage... Gl su, i hope u light up big red and co. Go leafs go

EpicFail02.jpg

thedrake

Mar 30, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
... yeah, real unbiased account from the "local Surrey Newspaper". Hand ball or not, Clan was blatantly cheated on the day by a ref who had his own personal agenda regarding the outcome of the match, plain and simple. Any ref at any level may or may not have made those two hand-ball calls, it was the inconsistency in the second half i.e. yellow for asking a question, straight red for swearing etc that was just bizarre, and off-putting.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is Hampton Park like Tunes? Turf? Grass? Pleased to read that your mob has a clubhouse for multiple post game bevies, good form :)

Looking forward to Saturday afternoon.

CIChopingfornaturalgrass

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
so we are down to 8?

Croatia vs MF

West Van vs Surrey MOTW

ACBC vs Bays

Gorge vs RCIU

Who does everyone got?? I gotta go with MF, WV, ACBC, Gorge...

should be a cracker weekend.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
does anybody actually know the rule for hand ball??
hand to ball, not ball to hand!
different refs seem to interpret it in different ways, yet the rule is pretty straight forward.
check out the link.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf

Darko.....IF the hand is away from the body, and a cross hits it, it should and will be called a hand ball.....otherwise players would be running out to block shots with their arms outstretched or upwards. If the ball hits the hand in these situations, it should and will be called most of the time.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
PROVINCE CUP – ROUND OF 16

2009-04-21

Five VMSL teams—West Van FC, Coquitlam Metro-Ford, Croatia SC, Surrey United, and RCIU Legends—remained in contention for the coveted Province Cup after this past weekend’s results. Four of the teams are on the same side of the draw, guaranteeing the VMSL a spot in the Cup final—slated for Saturday, May 16 at Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam.

LANGLEY UNITED – CROATIA SC 0-1: On Saturday evening, at McLeod Athletic Park in Langley, Croatia SC advanced to the quarter-finals of the Province Cup by defeating the Fraser Valley League champions—Langley United—by a narrow, but well-deserved, 1-0 margin. Right from the opening whistle, the Croatians controlled the flow of the game and forced the home team to defend for most of the game. The lone goal of the match came at the 30th minute mark when Daniel Rogic set up Maarten Koorn with a perfect pass at the edge of the penalty area. Koorn proceeded to unleash a wicked drive that gave the Langley goalkeeper no chance whatsoever. Croatia SC continued to control the match despite the fact that the bigger Langley players resorted to some excessive physical play. Koorn could easily have added to Croatia’s lead near the end of the first half, but his shot was deflected by a defender on its way to the net. On the ensuing corner kick, veteran Darko Jelic headed Johnny Sulentic’s cross towards the net only to have a Langley defender clear the ball off the goal line. Just before the halftime whistle, Steve Dickinson was also denied a clear cut scoring opportunity as the Langley goalkeeper—Tim Wagner—came up with a marvellous save. The Croatians continued to dominate proceedings for most of the second half but were unable to add to the margin of victory due mostly to some poor finishing and some excellent goalkeeping. Late in the game, Langley threw caution to the wind and started to put some pressure on the Croatia defenders with some long-ball tactics and some very aggressive play. However, the VMSL team held on bravely, mostly due to the defensive performances of Mario Jelic, Robin Hart, Maarten Koorn, and Daniel Rogic. The Croatians will now host the Coquitlam Metro-Ford Wolves in the quarter-finals of the Province Cup.

COQUITLAM METRO-FORD WOLVES - PEACE ARCH UNITED 6-4 OT: Also on Saturday, at Charles Best School in Coquitlam, the Metro-Ford Wolves advanced to the quarter-finals of the Province Cup by eliminating the visiting Peace Arch team by an unprecedented 6-4 overtime margin. As the large crowd would attest, the match was highly entertaining and very exciting as both teams took turns taking the lead. As well, some of the goals were scored on world-class efforts, even though the Metro-Ford winning goal was the result of a terrible faux-pas on the part of Peace Arch goalkeeper Girysh Kinai. The Wolves controlled the first 30 minutes of play but, as luck would have it, it was Peace Arch that opened the scoring when former Metro-Ford player—Ryan Horvath—unleashed a wicked blast from 30 meters into the top corner of the net, giving goalkeeper Mat Bird no chance whatsoever. Late in the first half, Russel Huggon restored parity as he cleverly headed home a loose ball from close range. Midway through the second half, former Whitecap Alfredo Valente gave the Wolves the lead as he converted a well-placed header by teammate Joey Scigliano into the net. Shortly thereafter, however, yet another Metro-Ford product—Michael Evans—scored for Peace Arch on a close-range shot to once again knot the score. At the 89th minute mark, Russel Huggon scored what appeared to be Metro-Ford’s winning goal on a fine header. However, well into stoppage time, yet another Metro-Ford product playing for Peace Arch—Taki Vohalis—blasted home an unbelievable shot from well outside the penalty area into the Wolves’ net for the 3-3 equalizer. Early in the first overtime period, Emilio Bottiglieri gave Metro-Ford the lead on a deflected shot. Once again, however, Peace Arch responded by tying things up on yet another brilliant goal, this one scored by defender Jackson Reeve as he finished off a brilliant sequence of passes. In the second overtime period, two Metro-Ford substitutes—Trevor Rosencrans and Azad Palani—put an end to the excitement by scoring twice in rapid succession. As mentioned earlier, Rosencrans’ winning goal was the result of some poor goalkeeping as his rather innocuous shot was redirected into the net by the Peace Arch goalkeeper. It should be mentioned that midfielders Andrew Veer and Emilio Bottiglieri, as well as defender Richard Price, played extremely well for the Wolves, who will now face Croatia SC in the next round of the Province Cup playdowns.

WEST VAN FC – WESTSIDE FC 7-0: The third, and final, Saturday game was played at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver between the hosting West Van FC and the visiting Westside FC. The heavily favoured home side had no difficulty whatsoever in destroying the visitors by an elaborate 7-0 margin—a result that would be considered embarrassing in most competitions. In fact, had it not been for some outstanding goalkeeping on the part of Westside’s Rowan Anders—as well as some excellent defending by James Possee—the score could easily have reached double figures! Having said that, it was Westside that nearly took the lead as Gavin Barrett—right from the opening kick-off—raced in all alone only to be stymied by West Van’s goalkeeper, Marco Durante. After that, the entire game was a one-way traffic affair as the newly-crowned VMSL champions—and Imperial Cup champions—dictated the pace of the match and scored almost at will. Veteran Paul Dailly opened the scoring as he took advantage of a give-away at about the 7th minute mark. Ten minutes later, young Robbie Giezen blasted a wicked drive behind Anders for West Van’s second goal. Midway through the first half, Desmond Tachie full-volleyed a fine cross from Milad Rahmati into the back of the net, while Paul Dailly added his second goal of the game on a brilliant drive from long range. Just before the halftime whistle, Milad Rahmati added insult to Westside’s injury by scoring his team’s 5th goal of the contest. The second half was more or less a repeat of the first as West Van continued to dominate every aspect of the match. Defender Drew Gelley scored his team’s sixth goal 10 minutes into the second half with yet another great long-range drive. Youngster Ricky Teixeira finished off the scoring midway through the second half when he brilliantly headed home a Sean Taylor corner kick. West Van FC will now face the Surrey United Firefighters in the quarter-finals of the Province Cup.

SURREY UNITED FIREFIGHTERS – COLUMBUS-CLAN FC 3-2: On Sunday, at Cloverdale Athletic Park, Surrey United pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the season by defeating Columbus by a narrow 3-2 margin. After a scoreless first half, all the scoring and all the bizarre action occurred in the second 45 minutes of play. At he 20th minute of the second half, Columbus suffered a major set-back when former Surrey United striker—Rizal Ganief—was ejected from the game for having received his second caution of the match. Despite playing with only 10 men, it was Columbus that took the lead when Tynan Diaz blasted a low shot into the net through a crowd of players from the edge of the penalty area. Surrey United responded positively and almost tied things up a few minutes later when former Whitecap Jeff Clarke chipped the ball towards the net only to have goalkeeper Thomas Lindley come up with a miraculous save. Shortly thereafter, however, Surrey United was able to knot the score as Jeff Clarke sent second-half substitute Cam Wilson flying down the right flank with one of his patented passes. Wilson’s dangerous, low cross was handled inside the penalty area by veteran defender Tony Gaita, resulting in a penalty kick being awarded to the home team. Another substitute—Peter Bergholtz—proceeded to convert the penalty kick into the tying goal with a powerful shot into the roof of the net. With 10 minutes remaining in the match, the short-handed Columbus squad managed to once again take the lead as young Tynan Diaz scored his second goal of the match by taking advantage of some poor marking on the part of the Surrey United defence. However, the plot started to get thicker at this point of the match as Columbus defender Steve Kindel was ejected from the match for having received his second caution—as a result of a reckless tackle on former Whitecap teammate Jeff Clarke—thus reducing his team to 9 players. From the resulting free kick, Jeff Clarke rose majestically to power home a header into the top corner of the net for the late equalizer. Then, just before the final whistle, another penalty kick was awarded when a Columbus defender once again handled the ball inside the penalty area. The Columbus protests resulted in yet another ejection as Scott McEachran was sent off for foul and abusive language. Surrey’s Josh Bennett calmly deposited the ball into the back of the net on the penalty kick for Surrey United’s winning goal. Two more players were ejected at this juncture as Columbus’ Jonathan Poli and Surrey United’s Peter Bergholtz engaged in a hockey-style confrontation. Well into stoppage time, the short-handed Columbus squad—down to 7 players—almost tied things up but Surrey’s goalkeeper, Paul Shepherd, pulled off a miraculous save. Surrey United thus moves on to the quarter-finals of the Province Cup where they will meet the red-hot, and treble-chasing, West Van FC.

ATHLETIC CLUB OF BC – NORVAN EAGLES 2-1 OT: Also on Sunday, at Burnaby Lake West Complex, the Norvan Eagles dropped a heart-breaking 2-1 overtime decision to the young and energetic Fraser Valley team. ACBC’s Abu Hussein gave his team the lead in regulation time but the Eagles tied things up late in the game when former Whitecap Diaz Kambere deflected a Norvan shot into his own net. In the second overtime period, Chris Kyd restored ACBC’s lead thus eliminating the Eagles from the Province Cup competition.

RCIU LEGENDS – GORDON HEAD 2-1: The final Sunday game was played at Minoru Oval in Richmond and featured the VMSL’s RCIU Legends and the visiting Vancouver Island team, Gordon Head. The Richmond lads came flying out of the starting gate and took the game to the visitors right from the opening whistle. The Legends could easily have taken the early lead had it not been for some superlative goalkeeping on the part of Gordon Head’s Nick Neascu. In particular, Neascu pulled off a couple of absolutely incredible saves on a close-range shots by Richmond’s Terry Bell and Darren Prentice. Despite the Legends’ territorial advantage and superior goalscoring opportunities, the first half ended in a scoreless draw. The second half started off more or less in the same manner with the Legends attacking relentlessly in search of the all-important first goal. As luck would have it, however, it was Gordon Head that took the lead at about the 60th minute mark when a poor clearance by Richmond’s Spencer Coppin was intercepted by Mandu Goebl who raced down the left flank before crossing the ball onto the path of teammate Cardin Davis who calmly chipped it over the head of goalkeeper Matt Clayton for the game’s opening goal. The Legends fought back with determination and grit and once again took over the reins of the match. The insertion of Jeff Potratz and former Whitecap Jason Jordan paid enormous dividends as the Legends began to apply even more pressure on a tiring Gordon Head backline. Finally, with only 5 minutes remaining in regulation time, Richmond was able to knot the score when defender Tim Sowerby took advantage of a great pass from teammate Jeff Potratz and calmly slotted the ball home for the equalizer. Very late in the match, Darren Prentice took advantage of an immaculately sublime pass from Jason Jordan and proceeded to score the winning goal in lethal fashion. The victory guarantees the Legends a spot in the Province Cup quarter-finals—against another Vancouver Island team, Gorge FC. It should be noted that Gorge FC are the defending Province Cup champions!

TEAM OF THE WEEK: CROATIA SC for its excellent performance in defeating the Fraser Valley champions—Langley United—for a narrow, but well-deserved 1-0 margin. Led by the excellent defensive work of Maarten Koorn, Mario Jelic, Daniel Rogic, and Robin Hart, the Croatians held the aggressive and tenacious Langley team at bay for the entire 90 minutes. Croatia SC will now take on the Metro-Ford Wolves in the quarter-finals of the Province Cup in what promises to be a very interesting game!

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Surrey United’s midfielder JEFF CLARKE for his magnificent performance in leading his team to an upset 3-2 victory over the visiting Columbus-Clan FC. The former Whitecaps captain was at his absolute best as he dictated the pace of the match with his superlative passing skills. Not only did Clarke score the late tying goal—on a brilliant header—but he also set up Surrey United’s first goal with one of his patented passes. For his excellent performance this past weekend, Jeff Clarke will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2009-04-30.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
the ACBC - Norvan write up is wrong.

Chris Kyd scored the first goal. Abu Hussein gave the ball away in the 94th minute to allow Norvan to tie it ,and then scored the winner in 2xOT.

And it wasnt so much of a deflected into his own net as it was, tried to beat the striker as last back, giving him an open net to shoot at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0