Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Provincial Cup Draw MEN 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
has anybody seen rene ref any games yet?

I have not heard of Rene reffing any Provincial games this year but i hope he gets the final. He reffed Norvan a couple of times this season and was great, then i watched him doing the Imperial Cup final and he did an outstanding job in a tough game.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It really is a joke that he hasn't been called........but then again, we just have to know who is allocating. There are a lot of good refs who are not getting anything when it comes to Provinicials..........it's not the time to experiment with refs. It should be refs who can do a good and consistent job. It's simple really

Doug Gilmour

Sep 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
So...seriously, was this ref near tears? Honestly?

That truly is excellent! What a nightmare the man must have been living. Whistle Blower...I think you and your bretherin need to be on bridge watch!

haha ya, kinda funny ... after scotty got red carded I calmly went up to the ref and said "what for" he looked me in the eye, lips quivering, eyes watering and said "guys he said **** off" ... i was a completely blown away.. and a little disturbed at seeing a grown man almost cry so i just walked away and went in the wall... and as for my hand ball on the second peno... i was standing at the top left corner of the box... the cross had missed everyone and was gunna roll out of the box to the sideline to their right mid... it skips off the grass, off my stomach and then brushes my arm which was glued to my body, not away from my body... but i guess it wasnt a big game or a big moment... and the ref did owe SU another call so it was justified to completely decide the game on a totally innocent play.. kinda surprised i didnt get a red for it.... kindel, john and pete deseved the reds... everyone saying riz deserved to be sent from that game and forced to miss a potential quarter final game for what he did is absolutely retarded... the drama on the sideline was kinda expected based on the absolute mayhem that was going on and pretty sweet if u ask me... anyone who says that if that screwjob happened to them or their team and they wouldnt have lost their mind is lying... interesting side note i found is that that was the first time ive ever really seen in amateur or pro sport a game with that much emotion and mayhem where all of the commotion wasnt team vs team as both teams had no real problem with one another... at the end of the game both teams were talkin with no animosity as both sides tried to comprehend what had just happened... u know a ref and lineo are on top of the game when me and clarkey are allowed to greco-roman style wrestle in the 18 yard box for a realistic 7 count while the play continues and no stoppage... gl SU, i hope u light up Big Red and Co. GO LEAFS GO

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
haha ya, kinda funny ... after scotty got red carded I calmly went up to the ref and said "what for" he looked me in the eye, lips quivering, eyes watering and said "guys he said **** off" ...

I call bullshit on this quote, this ref deals with a lot more crap at his work place than anything you can throw his way on a soccer field. I am not going to say what he does but really give this whole "we have been hard done by a ref " thing and enjoy the summer.

Doug Gilmour

Sep 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
interesting comment cause i could care less what that mucker does for a living... and dont see how what he does for a living has anything to do with sunday's game... i was 2 feet away from him and saw it...

Tunes

Apr 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that anyone really cares about the game in Victoira Shamrock.....but it will most likely be a 2:30 start on Saturday (still unofficial).

What a shocker this Columbus game sounded like.......I'm sure we've all been on the end of some terrible calls in big games.....if the ref has a complete nightmare it's no good for either team in the end.

Tunes: AKA Cages??

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that anyone really cares about the game in Victoira Shamrock.....but it will most likely be a 2:30 start on Saturday (still unofficial).

What a shocker this Columbus game sounded like.......I'm sure we've all been on the end of some terrible calls in big games.....if the ref has a complete nightmare it's no good for either team in the end.

Tunes: AKA Cages??

Sounds good, Tunes........no ****ing idea where Cages came from. :eek:

Definitely be coming now if it's on Saturday...2:30 is a perfect starting time....10:00 ferry(assuming there is one) beverages there.....game(any chance of beverages during the game?) and for a bit after....catch the 7:00 ferry home. It's all falling into place. :)

Cages Shamrock. :confused:

no finish

May 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i was part of the pau vs mf game and it was a pleasure to play in that one. tough loss but the fans got what they wanted. on the other hand the cc vs su game which i watched was a joke every one wants to blame the ref, yes he made calls that both teams are going to be pissed off about but not using your head when your playing just adds fuel to the fire. an example of this is rizzo first yellow was a terrible call but his second was the rite call. the guy has pace and skill and decides while on a yellow already he is going to cheat to try and get by in the game way to use your head. where do you get off complaining, when he came off the pitch he looked more embarrased than anything else ive got friends on both teams and no one wants to win or lose like that. it was quite the experience wow.

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
i was part of the pau vs mf game and it was a pleasure to play in that one. Tough loss but the fans got what they wanted. On the other hand the cc vs su game which i watched was a joke every one wants to blame the ref, yes he made calls that both teams are going to be pissed off about but not using your head when your playing just adds fuel to the fire. An example of this is rizzo first yellow was a terrible call but his second was the rite call. The guy has pace and skill and decides while on a yellow already he is going to cheat to try and get by in the game way to use your head. Where do you get off complaining, when he came off the pitch he looked more embarrased than anything else ive got friends on both teams and no one wants to win or lose like that. It was quite the experience wow.

this

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
and as for my hand ball on the second peno... I was standing at the top left corner of the box... The cross had missed everyone and was gunna roll out of the box to the sideline to their right mid... it skips off the grass, off my stomach and then brushes my arm which was glued to my body, not away from my body... But i guess it wasnt a big game or a big moment... And the ref did owe su another call so it was justified to completely decide the game on a totally innocent play..

lol

Stallion

Jul 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
what about the tackle from behind on Tino Cucca by Stallion in the second half? This was not punished properly.

pfff

We can talk about unjust puishments in that gong-show game until the cows come home.

It was my first foul of the game and I was given a yellow. (which yah, I deserved)

Pick a better one.

Tunes

Apr 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds good, Tunes........no ****ing idea where Cages came from. :eek:

Definitely be coming now if it's on Saturday...2:30 is a perfect starting time....10:00 ferry(assuming there is one) beverages there.....game(any chance of beverages during the game?) and for a bit after....catch the 7:00 ferry home. It's all falling into place. :)

Cages Shamrock. :confused:

Clubhouse will be open for bevies during and after.......and with a little bit of sunny weather, we've got the perfect afternoon.:D

Seeya Sat

no finish

May 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
shipitmuppet i agree with u that handball call was a bad one. players do need to use discretion when they are already on a yellow we have all been there. i actually got a yellow from this guy in a league game this year that i didnt think was, it was my second and see yah later but blaming the ref or the other team wont accomplish nothin.

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
shipitmuppet i agree with u that handball call was a bad one. players do need to use discretion when they are already on a yellow we have all been there. i actually got a yellow from this guy in a league game this year that i didnt think was, it was my second and see yah later but blaming the ref or the other team wont accomplish nothin.

....was mocking him. it was a clear peno

fak i do feel bad for Columbus though. I tipped them to go all the way, even come October..

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This looks to be a fairly unbiased accurate portrayal of the match in the Local surrey newspaper, along with a breakdown of the wolves v PAU game.
Michael Booth
Surrey Now

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

This time it was the Columbus-Clan's turn to meltdown.

Yellow and red cards were available in Costco-sized quantities Sunday afternoon and Columbus snapped up as many as they could to help the Surrey United Firefighters pull out a 3-2 win and advance to the quarter-final round of the men's Provincial Cup tournament.

Columbus had won all three previous encounters between the two sides this season, prompting Surrey coach Niall Thompson to lament about the way his club had given away at least two of those matches. Sunday evening the shoe was on the other foot as undisciplined play by the visitors paved the way for a Surrey win at Cloverdale Athletic Park.

"It was a bizarre game in as much that Columbus lost the game as opposed to us winning it," said Surrey United president Martin Foden. "There were a lot of yellow cards for both teams although it wasn't a dirty game. The referee seemed to be happy handing out yellow cards. I've seen a lot of bizarre things on the pitch over the years and this is right up there. With 12 minutes to go Columbus had a 2-1 lead but then they totally lost it."

Columbus had the better offensive pressure in an evenly played first half but could not produce any clear-cut chances leading to scoreless game at the break.

Early in the second half, former Surrey striker Rizal Ganief collected his second yellow card, earning a seat on the bench and leaving Columbus down to 10 men. Instead of pouncing on the opportunity, Surrey instead conceded a goal as Columbus's Tino Cucca broke loose to open the scoring.

Surrey leveled the score midway through the half with a successful penalty kick by Peter Bergholz but the goal failed to deter Columbus. While still enjoying the manpower advantage, sloppy play in their own end cost Surrey as Cucca took advantage of poor marking to bag his second goal and put the visitors up 2-1 with a dozen minutes left.

Surrey pressed to the attack and were rewarded when Jeff Clarke rose up and headed home a hard free kick from Rob Wilson to knot the count at 2-2. Upset with the free kick, the Columbus players lost their composure at this point. Former Vancouver Whitecap Steve Kindel was ejected and joined Ganief on the sidelines for the rest of the contest, leaving Surrey with an 11-9 manpower advantage.

Shortly afterward, a Columbus defender was whistled for smacking the ball with his hand in the penalty area, resulting in another Surrey penalty kick. Josh Bennett beat the Columbus keeper with a low shot to put Surrey into the lead for the first time.

The referee continued to pass out cards like a Vegas blackjack dealer and by the end of the contest, Surrey had 10 players on the field while Columbus was down to seven. Even with the disadvantage in numbers, Columbus narrowly missed leveling the score in injury time when a well-struck ball glanced off the woodwork.

"I was not happy to see that at the end, no," Foden said grimly. "I couldn't believe we let them get a chance like that at the end but even if they had scored it wasn't the end of world for us. We still had overtime ahead and they were down to seven players by that point. That's a situation that was definitely in our favour."

Surrey now advances to face Vancouver Metro Soccer League champion West Vancouver in the quarter-finals next weekend.

Elsewhere, Peace Arch United's Cup run ended with a wild 6-4 overtime loss in Coquitlam to the Metro Ford Wolves Saturday.

After starting slowly and counting themselves lucky to be tied 1-1 at the break, Peace Arch cranked up the pressure in the second half to turn the game into a shootout.

Ryan Horvath opened the scoring in the 35th minute when he hammered the ball into the Wolves net from 35 yards out. The lead lasted for a mere eight minutes before the Wolves leveled the score at 1-1 shortly before the half-time break.

Ten minutes into the second half, the Wolves regained the lead off a misplayed ball by Peace Arch goalie Gyrish Kaniah. Undaunted, Peace Arch rallied and pulled even when Mike Evans tallied in the 75th minute.

Metro Ford appeared to net the game winner in the 90th minute but Peace Arch answered with a goal from Taki Vohalis three minutes into injury time to force overtime.

Coquitlam regained the lead with a goal two minutes into the first OT only to have Peace Arch reply five minutes later with a spectacular coast-to-coast effort from Jackson Reeve to tie the game up again.

In the second overtime session, Metro Ford caught a break when Kaniah knocked a speculative crossing pass into his own net for what turned out to be the winning goal.

The goal forced Peace Arch to press forward in search of the equalizer, a move that left them vulnerable to the counterattack. Metro Ford exploited the weakness to net an insurance marker in the dying moments of play.
© Surrey Now 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0