Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why I hate the Leafs....

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In case you missed it, This Hour Has 22 Minutes (I think it was, anyways), did a great bit on Dougie Gilmour. Ron & Don included it on Coach's Corner last week.

Fast forward just a bit past halfway to see it

And, by the way, if you watch it off the start, Ron tells a short story about Don ignoring Game 6 of the '94 finals. Typical Torontonian -- ignore the Canucks. :mad:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trouble in LeafLand...

By Jim Kelley - NHL Analyst

TORONTO -- In the wake of a humiliating 7-1 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday night, Toronto Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn was asked if his team had pretty much quit on trying to make a comeback in the game.

It was a subtle question, gently worded. The underlying implication being that his team had quit on him.

Given a similarly uninspired loss earlier in the week to Buffalo, the message couldn't have been missed.

"I certainly don't believe that is true, and I don't think that happened," Quinn said, his tone more like a patient doctor at bedside than a fiery hockey coach known for some spirited sessions with the media.

If you know Quinn or have seen him in action, you know that he doesn't suffer questions like that lightly. Normally Quinn fires back, hard.

But these are not normal times for Quinn, the Maple Leafs as a team and as an organization. So it was not shocking that his demeanor was reserved, almost grandfatherly. He was patient with the questioner, measured in his response. One came away from the press conference thinking this isn't a man under fire, it's a man trying to gently refocus his team.

Given Quinn's experience, his reputation for success and his long tenure in the game, he deserves that opportunity. The question in and around Toronto, however, has to do with whether or not he will get that chance.

Times here have changed and the changes have not all been in Quinn's favor.

For starters, he's no longer the general manger. In a messy, but not altogether ugly restructuring of power, the upper management at Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment separated Quinn from the dual responsibilities of coach and general manager and brought in their own man: John Ferguson Jr.

Ferguson is an up-through-the-ranks GM and would appear to have a bright future, but he doesn't have a tenth of the experience that Quinn -- a former coach, general manager and team president in Vancouver and a longtime coach in both Los Angeles and Philadelphia -- has. But Ferguson does have the ear of his new bosses. Those close to the organization claim that Quinn does not.

In addition, some fans and media members seem convinced that Quinn is the reason the team is struggling. They claim that he's been at the helm for too long now and that the players, many of whom have also been here for a very long time, are tuning him out. They cite the loss to Philadelphia as a prime example. The Leafs claimed to be emotionally ready to meet the opponent that unceremoniously ousted them from the first round of the playoffs in a lopsided seventh-game loss last spring. Instead, they came out flat, uninspired and, uncompetitive Saturday night.

Critics also argue that the team never truly responded to Quinn and that players only feared him because as GM he controlled their fate. Stripped of that power, they argue, the players have stopped listening and as a result, have stopped responding.

As in all such arguments, there is an element of truth in everything that's said. But to say Quinn is the sole reason the Leafs are at 5-4-2-1 wouldn't just be unfair. It would be wrong.

The Leafs are, at this point in the season at least, not a very good team. They have the usual share of problems -- lack of depth and injuries to key players -- but they also are an older team that is a good two to three years past its prime. You can argue that Quinn the general manager is responsible for a big part of that, and you would be correct, but that won't change the situation that confronts the Leafs today. Today's Leafs are so thin on the back end that they can't compete playing the style of play they play.

The Leafs are also a veteran team and, like a lot of veteran teams, they don't take the early portion of the regular season all that seriously.

Those are substance issues. There is also the matter of style.

The Leafs like to attack. They are not a team that strives to play a defensive-minded system shift in and shift out. They aren't a team married to the trap, and they certainly don't play a kind of game that has players going from point to point on this ice solely to prevent an opponent from leaving its own end.

That can lead to problems, especially in their own end. Against quick teams, like the Sabres on Thursday night in Buffalo, the Leafs look slow, especially in their own zone where the core of the defense is a mish-mash of players who are too old, too young or injured.

Against power teams, the Flyers being a quality example, those same players also appear too weak to keep their opponents from driving to the net. They also don't seem to have the expertise to move the puck quickly against a team with a pressure-the-puck mindset.

"Technically, we don't have very much confidence in the back end," Quinn said, stressing a point that has become all too obvious even before the Flyers debacle. "Unfortunately, it's showing up in our [overall] game. We don't seem to want the puck, and we have to find some way to trust each other."

That might sound like a self-serving remark, the kind that comes from a coach who's looking to put some distance between himself and his players' reasons for too many losses by far too many goals. But it also happens to be true.

And that's the odd thing about all of this. Quinn has been around the game long enough to know what's wrong with a team, and he's certainly been around long enough to know how to go about fixing its ills.

The difference now is that he doesn't have the power in the front office to make the personnel changes that could help things along, and there's reason to suspect that he can't exactly lean on Ferguson to bend to his will.

It's also pretty much a given that if it all continues to go south, it likely won't be Ferguson (the new hire) or any of the players (who rarely feel anyone's wrath in this town) who'll take the blame.

That's why the whispers are already out that if the losing continues, it will be Quinn, despite the fact that he has a reported two years left on his contract, who will ultimately pay the price.

It's not right, fair or even logical, but it has happened time and time again in hockey, and unless Quinn finds a way to reinvent the talent in the players he's already got, it will happen to him.

It would be wrong to say that the time to fire Pat Quinn is now, but it's fair to say the clock has started ticking -- and few in or outside of the Air Canada Centre are in any hurry to stop it or even slow it down.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, another pounding of a Canadian team by the mighty Flyers. Bring on those wimpy Canucks. BTW, to stay on topic, how can anyone like the freaking Leafs anyway?

Captain

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone else see the little bit in the paper last week that said the Laughs recent swing through California was their first time in that state since 1998?!?!?!

10% of the league is in California!

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny thing was that I misread it at first -- assuming it said "the West" -- and I still wasn't surprised. :rolleyes:

Can't wait 'til my Ontario-based sister and her bo come for a visit at the end of the month. Are they ever gonna get the gears. :p

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leaf Hating is somewhat of a religion in my family.

My newest reason for hating the leafs is that i'm going to visit my sister in T.O. and she went to get me, herself and her fiancee ticket sto a game when i come out there. THere are not really any seats ever available unless you know a season ticket holder. She called up the brokers. Cheapest seats were like 200.00 a ticket. i don't want to see a game that much. Her Fiancee's co. has a box in the new Ricoh center( home of the roadrunner, Edmonton farm team) so i will now be going there for free and sitting in a box. That's cool by me. the added bonus is I get to cheer Fedor Fedorov and the Manitoba Moose in March. Unfortunately , the roadrunners aren't the leaf farm team but my general sentiment will be felt in all pubs as i plan to watch every single leaf game while i'm there and cheer against them the whole time. There is a chance i may still go to a game at the ACC but only if i can get some freebies out of one of my companys suppliers. I can get Raptors tickets for free and Blue jay tickets but no leaf fan ever, ever gives up there Leaf tickets. My buddy from here who has Leaf season tickets has given those ones to his family already so i;m out of luck that way.

At least the Leafs aren't that good of a team and there not on TV every saturday.:rolleyes:

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seeing that Leaf hating is beginning up again in canuck thread i thought i would remind everybody it has it's own dedicated thread. :D

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why the Leafs are so GOOD!!!

1) There management isn't scared to pull off some trades.....he doesn't pussy foot around like Burke and talk about the money they have or don't have. Quinn and Fergusion both know what it takes to win......Who was coaching the canucks in 1994 when they made it to the finals?.......GM.......Answer is the same Quinn.

2) There not a bunch of pussy's....wade Belak would kill any canuck and he would do it face to face.......Not run someone from behind!

3) Ticket prices.....it's because there team is good....if canucks were close to the same level there prices would be the same.

4) Can compete with the top teams....beat the canucks twice and have beaten every other team near the top!! Canucks have given up 14 goals in two games to the division leader Avs

5) Goaltending.....Belfour is proven and is one of the best goalies in the league...Cloutier...****ing plumber....watch out for those shots from center!

6) Leadership....toronto has sooo much leadership....Canucks naslund and some ass clown named ruttu!

8) Centermen......Toronto 2 of the best in the league Sundin and Newendyke (sp)....Canucks Morrison....hopeless and linden....

In the end Toronto will be in the finals ......Canucks will be in court trying to free bertuzzi! :D

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice Post.Fag.

So what if Pat Quinn was the coach and g.m. of the Canucks in 94. He has never won a cup.

Wade Belak doesnt even crack the line-up. Who the Fcuk is he gonna beat up? Some bum on the Anaheim River Rats.

Ticket Prices are so high because Toronto is the Centre of the Universe. Everything is more expensive there.

They beat so many good teams :rolleyes: They lose to so many shitty ones.

Belfour is a proven....... Junky. His back has given out on him and its only a matter of time before he packs it with the Columbian cold.

Leadership. Cant question that. But how many of those old legs will be able to last through a grueling 7 game series.

Mat Sundin is a great Centre. Joe Newendyke is one hit away from his tenth knee operation. He is not even in the top 30 for Centers. He might make it through game one of the first round before he packs it in.

Leafs Suck.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
1)There management isn't scared to pull off some trades.....he doesn't pussy foot around like Burke and talk about the money they have or don't have. Quinn and Fergusion both know what it takes to win......Who was coaching the canucks in 1994 when they made it to the finals?.......GM.......Answer is the same Quinn. What has Ferguson done? Poo-diddly. Quinn's an idiot who never prepares his team for games properly. How can you win without a coach who prepares a team.
2) There not a bunch of pussy's....wade Belak would kill any canuck and he would do it face to face.......Not run someone from behind! Blahh Blahh Blahh. Belak is a shitty player. So what if he's tough. Domi put the theory of evolution back 2 steps with his friggin mug. Cro Magnn man himself3) Ticket prices.....it's because there team is good....if canucks were close to the same level there prices would be the same. Bullsh*t. Corporate fcuking ticket holders will pay anything for tickets. all the leaf fans have been brainwashed about how great the team is.

4) Can compete with the top teams....beat the canucks twice and have beaten every other team near the top!! Canucks have given up 14 goals in two games to the division leader Avs They will not beat anyone in the playoffs. their losing to sh*t teams right now and are one injury to Belfour away from having to play Trevor"Holy Fcuk, How am I in the league" Kid.5) Goaltending.....Belfour is proven and is one of the best goalies in the league...Cloutier...****ing plumber....watch out for those shots from center! Proven. What can he prove. He'd the best 3rd goalie at the Olympics when Canada won. He has won nothing. Neither has Cloutier, but Clouts isn't 132 with a bad back.
6) Leadership....toronto has sooo much leadership....Canucks naslund and some ass clown named ruttu! Leadership, who the fcuk cares. If your team isn't going anywhere what does it matter. The goddamn senoir citizens in T.O. should be leaders. They have played since I was 4 in the League.
8) Centermen......Toronto 2 of the best in the league Sundin and Newendyke (sp)....Canucks Morrison....hopeless and linden....Niewundyck, Pulease. Sundin is good but Nieundyck is way too old to be counted on through a playoff run.

In the end Toronto will be in the finals ......Canucks will be in court trying to free bertuzzi!
Tell me where you got what you have been smoking. it would appear to be some good sh*t.

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
why the leafs are good

Blaze army...sorry to rain on your I know shite about hockey parade!!!!

Exerpience wins cups moron......take the devils and detroit over the past years...brought in leadership and it took them to the cup!!

If Quinn is a shitty coach, how did the canucks make it to the finals in 94? brought in experience....ronning courtnall and Memesso!

Gm's wow I can't beleive your even going there.....burke or Quinn.....Thats a no brainer! One makes trades and burke makes excuses!

Let me know when they get a goaltender and some experience then we'll talk till then the only experience they get is a pregame bertuzzi hummer!! ;)

Oh yeah Belak and Domi....prove talented fighters.......allen and may proven pussy's with no talent?

Hey what was the season series this year????? Leafs 2- Canucks 0 find out when the last time canucks beat the Leafs!

Man don't get me started on hockey knowledge......read up some you need it!!

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
when did i say anything about Burke. the Canucks aren't going to win. The leafs certainly aren't either. The Devils and Wings were both excellent teams. At best the Leafs and Canucks are good teams. As for goaltending, Belfour may win them a series but i doubt it. He's is simply getting old and with a wonky back shouldn't be trusted. As for Cloutier he's i think 13 years younger and has won as many games a s Belfour in the playoffs the last year. You don't fight in the playoffs idiot. When was the last time there was a series were fighting was really involved. Pushing shoving a fight or 2. You don't need the goons running around in the playoffs. Who gives a shite about the season series. It's all about the playoffs and they are in different conferences. There is ZERO chance they will meet in the Stanley Cup. Neither team is good enough to get that far. I'm not seeing any hockey knowledge out of your mouth. it's all hype and talk.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why are you trying to crush Fillingthehairnet's delusions?

Let his precious Leaves crush them for him.

Just like they have every year for the last 37.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yeah Belak and Domi....prove talented fighters.......allen and may proven pussy's with no talent?

Great point, Mr. Hockey Almanac. Fcuk, you should be the GM. Fighting is such a big part of any team's playoff success because it happens SO often in the playoffs. Moron. Take your fcuking Leafs and shove them up your hole. We all know Philadelphia will win the east this year and your laughs will be out first round, especially when the Geritol supplies run low. They're a bunch of fossils.......

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0