Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why I hate the Leafs....

Demolition

Sep 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Definately another reason to hate them

Leafs acquire Nolan

Canadian Press

3/5/2003

TORONTO (CP) - As first reported by TSN, the Toronto Maple Leafs acquired highly coveted power forward Owen Nolan from the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night.

Headed to the Sharks are centre Alyn McCauley, prospect Brad Boyes and a first round pick.

``It's obviously a big deal,'' Bill Watters, assistant to Leafs general manager Pat Quinn, told The Canadian Press. ``I want to leave the rest to Pat Quinn to discuss.''

Nolan, the Sharks' captain, was one of the most sought after players as the March 11 NHL trade deadline approaches. Reports had suggested that the Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens, along with the Leafs, were the main contender for the physical right-winger.

By dealing him, it looks like the Sharks have opted to blow up their roster following a disastrous season. They will likely miss the playoffs after entering the campaign with Stanley Cup aspirations.

For the Leafs, getting Nolan is they type of big deal that their rabid fans have been clamouring for.

Although he's having an off-year with 22 goals, 20 assists and 91 penalty minutes in 61 games, he's considered among the elite power forwards in the game.

Quinn also got to see Nolan firsthand during the Salt Lake City Olympics, when he coached the 31-year-old as Canada won gold.

In 836 career games, Nolan has 323 goals, 352 assists and 1474 penalty minutes.

The Sharks were said to be keen on McCauley for his leadership skills. He has six goals and nine assists in 64 games for the Leafs this season, but impressed during Toronto's playoff run last season.

McCauley, 25, didn't produce the type of offence expected of him this year, but was valued for his penalty killing and smart defensive play.

Boyes, 20, the Leafs' top prospect, has impressed this year in his first AHL season. In 65 games with the St. John's Maple Leafs, he has 23 goals and 28 assists and his recent improved play has caught the eye of many.

El Jefe

Sep 20, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
calling it like it is

RE: Leafs

Can't say I like them but....I like to watch them and seeing as how there's a thread devoted to them on TTP so do you.

Integrity value: Zilch
Entertainment value: huge

Enough said.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well it's rather hard to avoid them when your publically-funded national television station insists on showing them every saturday afternoon/evening.

Add to that the fact that Toronto Sports Network (TSN), Toronto Score and SportorontoNet all seem to focus entirely on the Leafs.

That Don Cherry fellow seems fond of them as well, and he's a bloody Canadian icon.

We're inundated with Leafs.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I remember in 94 when the Canucks beat the Laughs in the semis. I was in Maui. It was a beautiful hot sunny day, and I was watching hockey. Adams scored and the whole building erupted. After some celebrating the first thing I did was call my Uncle in Peterborough. Needless to say, he wasn't happy to hear from me. Especially after he found out where I was calling from.:D

I hate the Leafs.:mad: Especially Domi. What sort of primitive spiecies is he anyway?

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by TheRob
Especially after he found out where I was calling from.:D

You didn't call 10-10-220 first?

You ARE a bastard.
Ruthless.

El Jefe,
there is also a thread devoted to Khalsa & brown soccer bantar...doesn't mean we like to hear/watch them either.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another example

El Jefe

there is also a thread devoted to the Ital tourney...doesn't mean we like to hear/watch them either.

Sandman:rolleyes:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I found it humorous that Quinn all but admitted to feeling the heat local Toronto media put on him to make a deal at the deadline. Quinn's been notorious in staying away from big trades, opting rather to dip into free agency to make his team stronger. Which has worked to a certain degree with Mogliny, Belfour and a string of others, but really backfired this past summer when Guerin and Amonte snubbed him, and CuJo flew the coop. From what I recall, the last major deal Quinny made at the deadline was getting Aki Berg in the white-and-blue. Not exactly a blockbuster.

I think it came down to the fact that nobody actually expected, at the beginning of the year that is, for the Sharks to go from Cup contender to a candidate for a top-5 draft pick in 2004. Nor did anybody think that Owen Nolan would be available on the trade front. Seriously. If you had told Quinn at the beginning of the year that he'd be able to get Nolan for McAuley and Boyes, he would have pulled the trigger in a heartbeat.

This, combined with the scrutiny he's been under by the TO media, made that tightwad bastard a little more open to wheeling-and-dealing at the deadline.

Now...does Burkie do the same? Obviously the Sharks have waved the proverbial white flag and will be looking to unload at least one more guy to shake things up a bit. You've got a nice core of Selanne, Ricci, Sturm, Marleau, Stuart and Rathje to consider. They're not going to sit there and assume all will be solved by shipping Nolan off and then standing pat.

I'd hate to see Toronto make the front-office move of the year while the Canucks go with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" strategy. Guys get hurt late in the season and in the playoffs, simply due to the increased intensity and physical style. If a stubborn bastard like Quinn can do it, why the hell can't Burkie step up to the plate with a deal of his own? Not even a blockbuster like the Nolan deal, but something to add some legitimate depth.

Please, please please don't let this deal make Toronto "the" Canadian team most likely to make a run in the playoffs. Please. Get Gallagher to write daily columns on the trade possibilities Vancouver could entertain.

El Jefe

Sep 20, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Mama's Boy.....aka Zaurrini

loosen up..... there's plenty of room for all kinds in this wonderful world of ours......including mama's boys.

ElJefeseneseabitofethnocentrisminhispalZaurrinithemama'sboy. :D

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by El Jefe
ys.

ElJefeseneseabitofethocentrismin hispalZaurrinithemama'sboy. :D
:confused:

Wow....didn't realize I would get such a reaction....

I would say 1134 posts in two months would indicate people:rolleyes: are interested in the Itie League.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Nolan trade reeks of the "Quinn Formula" it is very reminiscent of a trade he did with the Canucks a few years ago:

At the time:
Mogilny-Peca(young/potential), Jay McKee(Prospect), 1st Rounder

Present:
Nolan-McAuley(young/potential), Boyce (Prospect), 1st Rounder

I'm not saying McAuley will be a Peca, but you never know. He had a remarkable playoff last year.

Sandman

El Jefe

Sep 20, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zaurrini:

The extremely high number of posts in a relatively short period of time is not nescessarily suggestive of "people's" interest in your mediocre thread, but rather is highly indicative of the paramount lack of any other type of social interaction amongst mama's boys like yourself.:p

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
huh

Originally posted by El Jefe
Zaurrini:

The extremely high number of posts in a relatively short period of time is not nescessarily suggestive of "people's" interest in your mediocre thread, but rather is highly indicative of the paramount lack of any other type of social interaction amongst mama's boys like yourself.:p

Too many three syllable words for me to understand.
Going back to the Itie thread.

your mamas so fat...

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was posted by a Habs fan in a Maple Leafs forum, explaining why he can't stand Toronto or their sorry hockey team:
WHY I HATE LEAF FANS:

Keep in mind that I'm in Ontario. And, while I am friends with a few Leaf fans, arguments often ensue.

You know, I was at the hockey hall of fame two years ago. (Don't get me wrong, Toronto is still a pretty damn good city, just not "center of the Universe") After watching a shortened version of "Forever Rivals," I couldn't believe what I heard as I left the theatre. Several people were ranting about how Toronto was "definately" the "superior team."

They then took their heads and stuck them back into their asses.

I was watching Ken Dryden, in that 75th anniversary video commercial, talk about how Toronto is the center of the hockey universe (Dammit, Kenny, you've been in T.O. for too long.) But, you know... NO TEAM has done more for the game of hockey than the Montreal Canadiens, and I'm sick and god-damn tired of the Habs picking up flack for all their years of success.

The Montreal Canadiens organization changed the game in so many ways. Toe Blake changed the way hockey was coached; Jacques Plante popularized the hockey mask; Know where "Howitzer" comes from? Howie Morenz, of course; they changed it so a goal ends a minor penalty to make it fair for the teams playing AGAINST the Montreal Canadiens;

Fans have been passionate, through highs and lows. Montreal players have caused riots just by not playing. There are more images conjured up with Maurice Richard than ANY other athelete in ANY sport. Richard, Lafleur and Beliveau are DEFINATELY among the top ten players of all time, no question.

And none of this even involves cups!

So, what have the Leafs done outside of cups?

They built an arena with local out-of-work boobs, had a catchphrase (move off track...), had a player score a big goal (I'll give Henny BIG credit and kudos, but did it help the Leafs? No), had a donut shop named after a mediocre player, and have a reputation as the biggest group of hockey losers and chokers of the past 35 years.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have NEVER, EVER established ANY sort of hockey icon. Their best player, EVER, in Frank Mahovolich, chose to go into the Hall of Fame as... a Montreal Canadien, where he spent the limelight of his career.

I'm sick and tired of people calling Toronto the "hockey hotbed." The Leafs are like a black hole: They effect everything around it, but they also suck.

A team that hasn't won a cup in 35 years that falsely claims to be a good team, and the best right now deserves no respect whatsoever.

And, I guess that's why the Leafs suck.

Much more than the Montreal Canadiens right now.

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cherry likes them.......

that should be enough reason to hate them.Wankers.

lupoman:mad:

wish I could spell....then my daughter wouldn't have to keep editting for me.Kill me now.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1989 Flames

Gilmour and Housley join Gary Roberts........Why doesn't Pat Quinn sign Lanny MacDonald and Hakan Loob while he's at it. Team Fcuking Geratol.

Sandman:rolleyes:

Flyersovertheleafsin6

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear Jim Peplinski is sharpening his skates as I type.

This is getting retarded now. I mean, I thought I was going overboard a bit with the continual Leaf bashing....but then they sign Housley. Phil freaking Housley. I think the next "add an annoying prick" move will be to claim Theo Fleury off waivers.

War Joel Otto,
-Sensei.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Avegage age for the Leafs has got to be about 32-35. I can't see the "Golden Girls" making much of a difference.

Sandman:eek:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0