Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who the fcuk is George Best???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scary

Is it just me or does that picture not look like Charles Manson without the Swatica (sp?) on his forhead?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best in the NASL

Two former SFU Clan soccer players played with George Best at Los Angeles. John McGrane (77-81) and Ken Whitehead ('77). I bet these guys could tell some stories.

The famous McGrane story (not a Best story) is that the LA coach, (Rinus Michaels?) asked them in their rookie season on the day of a game something like 'can one of you play right back'? McGrane said yes and that night after the game where some European guy had sat out as McGrane filled his spot, the guy came after John in a restaurant, threatening him for what he did and saying what he'd do to him. McGrane, a character like Best, punched the guy sending him over a railing in the restaurant onto the table below where some couple was celebrating their anniversary.

McGrane is the same guy who knocked out his then team mate in indoor NASL soccer, Karl-Heinz Granita (Chicago) with one punch on the way to the dressing room between periods after Granizta showed his disgust at two of John's passes. When Granitza woke up, he apparently told the coach, him or me and John was gone!
-----------------

Copied from US Soccer Archives. It may be a bit dodgy to read but this was his NASL record as shown in the Archives.

^BEST, GEORGE (N. Ireland). Midfielder/Striker. Manchester United.
37 Caps. Born 5/22/1946. Inaugural member of the International Soccer
Hall of Fame.

................... ....Regular season ..............Playoffs
.................................GP G A Pts GP G A Pts
1976 Los Angeles Aztecs 23 15 7 37 1 0 0 0
1977 Los Angeles Aztecs 20 11 18 40 5 2 4 8
1978 Los Angeles Aztecs 12 1 0 2 -------------
1978 Ft Lauderdale Strikers 9 4 1 9 5 1 2 4
1979 Ft Lauderdale Strikers 17 2 7 11 -------------
1980 San Jose Earthquakes 26 8 11 27 -------------
1981 San Jose Earthquakes 30 13 10 36 -------------

George Best was one of the first major international stars signed by
NASL after Pele, and helped focus world attention on the league. He
came out of semi-retirement after a long and successful career with
Manchester United (1961-1975), and Northern Ireland, for whom he was
capped 37 times. He played on ManU's European Cup winning team of 1968.
He also had had brief stints with Dunstable, Cork Celtic, Stockport
County and La Coruona (Spain) in 1975, and stints during his NASL Career
with Fulham (1976-77), and Hibernian (1978). His career with the NASL
was colorful and successful, although he never stayed in one place too
long.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The fcuker is apparently on the bottle again and was arrested on the weekend. Well done, Georgie, you're really taking advantage of that transplant.

P.S. Nice timing, Guinness. :rolleyes:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain

I wasn't going to mention that... :mad: I didn't want to tarnish his good reputation!!!:rolleyes:

Georgie the Belfast Boy is King!!!:knvb:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Farrah???

One of them is a dead ringer for Farrah Fawsett (sp)... He definately was/still is a ladies man!!!

CDK, good opinion for someone who has never played the game!!!;)

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a shame he is back on the bottle but what a player. Watching the old highlites of him TTP out of defenders is a thing to see. :D

Did alright with the ladies I here to. :rolleyes:

Parkhead

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who the Hell is this Pele guy

I once heard someone say that if Best was born ugly, the world would have never heard of Pele.
Don't know about him not being on the piss if he was born ugly, but it sounded good at the time.

Was talking to Larry Dill at work and he was saying one of his first games in the NASL was vs. a team that Best played for, the game was at Commenwealth and Dill had Best lined up for a two footer along the sideline, well the 17 year old Dill ended up on the track and Best continued along the sideline beating everyone left right and center.

Did he (Best) not play for or agianst a PCSL All-Star team back in the early to mid 80's, I thought I heard stories about that before.

HOS
Beingbornuglydidn'thelpme:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Club Ireland brought him over in 1983. He was off the booze then but 6 week later, he was arrested in London for assaulting a police officer. Nice. He played for Club Ireland against the Coast League All-stars and scored a penalty. He also grabbed a lad by the throat who tried two footing him. The ref was going to throw him out but thought better of it, considering there were a couple of thousand people scrunched around the Hugh Boyd Oval. When he had the ball, they couldn't get it from him, even at that age.

Captain

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
from www.thisislondon.com.......

Britons were today officially branded Europe's worst binge-drinkers - costing the country's economy £20billion a year.

An official report from the Cabinet Office painted a stark picture of the damage done to the country's health and wealth by the growing problem.

Ministers were set to warn that youngsters were turning to the habit earlier and that more and more women were indulging in heavy sessions.

They want to see a move away from bingedrinking - defined as consuming more than eight units of alcohol at a time - towards a "Mediterranean" style of more moderate consumption.

Today's report was being presented as a "snapshot" of a growing habit, with statistics showing that among younger age groups, up to 70 per cent of women were binge-drinking regularly, confirming the rise of "ladette" culture.

Among younger men, four in 10 drinking sessions involve more than eight units of alcohol per person.

The figures were expected to show that while total alcohol consumption in England was less than in other European countries, no nation went on more damaging binging sessions. Thirty five per cent of all accident and emergency cases are alcohol-related, with this percentage doubling on Saturday nights.

Ministers, however, recognise the dangers of legislating in this area and are likely to call for a voluntary approach, with the onus on landlords to provide a safer environment for drinking, and to tell staff to stop serving customers who have had too much.

Charity Alcohol Concern said the Government would have to increase spending by vast amounts. Chief executive Eric Appleby said: "What we now need to see, and quickly, is some serious action - and money. Until we get this proactive action, we will simply be sweeping up the mess created by alcohol problems - dealing with its symptoms rather than the illness itself."

What is binge? And why is it the British drink more of it than anyone else?

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Club Ireland brought him over in 1983.
I remember that game and I remember him grabbing the poor lad by the neck. Before he got into the car that eventually drove him away and said that's it for autographs, I, a 13yr old at the time begged him for 1 last signature. When he saw it was a cartoon picture of him with his arm around some topless lady who's tits were soccerballs, he laughed and signed through the window making it his last-true story. My older brother still has it.......bastard!:mad: Still the nicest thing I've done for anyone.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Wife is Leaving Him

Originally posted by Inspector Blake
a cartoon picture of him with his arm around some topless lady who's tits were soccerballs

His old-lady is leaving him because he has decided to have a go at his new Liver, there have been pictures of Besty out on the town with different ladies. Lets hope all the ladies have knockers like soccerballs.

hos

Vinny

Oct 11, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
maradona

maradonas over-rated, he had 2 decent stints in 2 world cups and thats it ... and he cheated for glory against England in Mexico. Unlike other 'superstars' who excel on both stages,(eg.- Zidane, Beckenbauer, Ronaldo, Matthius, Maldini) he did barely nothing at club level, because he was such a crackhead - hes an awful model for the game.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vinny

After stating the obvious, what the fcuk is your point??? We all know who Maradonna is, it's just Dudewhere'smycar doesn't know who George Best is!!!
Why not enlighten us all on your knowledge of Besty??? (not the VMSL slut Besty that jumps ship more than he changes his knickers);) After all he was the greatest, but did he ever shine in a World Cup or Euro Championship???:eek:

Thanksforcomingoutrook.;)

Vinny

Oct 11, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best

ha, i was replying to somebody else you was goin on about maradona.
Best didn't shine at Euro Championships or World Cups because he never really had the chance! Playing for Northern Ireland is a lot different than playing for Argentina. Best showed what he could do starting at the age of 15 at ManUtd, even when he trained with N Ireland, he wouldnt be included in the scrimmage at the end because he would just dribble and nobody would get the ball off him, so he supposably practised hitting the crossbar from 20-30 yards out while the others played.
The 'Genius' is definitly one of the greats of all time, but definitly not the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0