Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The league kick off is upon us and Premier Opening Day goes today at Newton Athletic, which would be complete without...

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 1

West Van v Campo
Nobody expects much out of Campo other than a brief stay in Premier and you can count me among the majority on this one. Not exactly an easy welcome as West Van have been at the top end of the table it seem since God was young. Should be straight forward for the lads from Ambleside in this one. Perhaps Campo will shock me and most other by making a go of it this term, but seeing will be believing with regards to that. An upset on opening day would be a helluva marker to throw down though!

Rovers Tigers v Inter
Definitely MOTW here in what looks to be the tastiest fixture on offer out at Newton on Saturday. The freshly crowned Provincial Champions take on a Rovers side who are looking to take a step forward this season and become a true heavy hitter to be feared among the rest of their opponents in the VMSL. Inter are traditionally slow out of the gate, but with Nationals on the horizon, perhaps this is the season that they start with a bang? Presuming Milad and Milad are fit and raring to go, Inter are always a threat going forward and Rovers we're not exactly the surest at the back last season. Nick Soolsa will be keen to get off the mark for Tigers as well, in defence of his Golden Boot win as top scorer last year. So expect goals in this one and hopefully an end-to-end attacking display of football. As for a prediction, I'll fall back on Inter's annual slow starts as well as the fact that Rovers are looking to make a statement right from Week 1.

CCB LFC v Croatia
Not sure yet what to make out of CCB LFC, but Croatia were certainly impressive to close out the season last year. Assuming they have much of the same young team back I look for them to take a step forward. CCB LFC Pacific etc. have always carried star power and we will find out if those players have signed on to the new regime. If a new philosophy, tactics and leadership blueprint have taken hold they could be quite the force to reckon with this year. However, it's a wait and see approach I have to think, so I will stick with their form from last year when it comes to a prediction and back the Croatians to open with three points.

EDC Burnaby v Pegasus
A similar story to CCB, EDC are likely a wait and see team. The introduction of a Masters Premier team to the club has facilitated a large roster turnover. Pegasus are at home (even though they will be the visitors in this one) and should be up for putting on a show. It will be a baptism by fire for many of the U21s stepping into the Chile lineup; I think the Surrey boys take this one.

Rino's Tigers v Richmond FC
It's an all too familiar feeling for Rino's as they open against Richmond FC, just as they did two seasons ago. On that day they picked up one of what would prove to be only two points that they would earn during the entire campaign. They will certainly be hoping, and expecting, to avoid a similar fate this time around. They would seem in a position to do it, as well, given that many who were part of the relegated group are back to witness the rebirth, two years older, stronger and more experienced. These kids, since their unceremonious ousting from the top flight, have won back to back Richmond Summer Leagues as well as the Division 1 title. Winning is infectious and they will look to continue that good feeling with an opening day win. In Richmond, the Tigers could not have a more dissimilar opponent. The Hibs play a physical "North American" game, while former Swiss professional Blaise Nkufo has the Rino's crew playing a passing, possession based game. Have they grown up enough to cope with their more experienced opponents? My gut tells me yes; plus this game will me a lot to Rino's as they try to get their first ever Premier win. However, a newly promoted team against an experienced opponent, I'll history repeats and this one ends all square.

Coquitlam Metro Ford v Westside
Not a long wait for a chance at revenge for the Coquitlam boys. The Westsiders pulled quite the shock by elminating the two time VMSL defending champions in the quarter finals of last season's Provincial Cup. Westside also put a lop-sided drubbing on the Tri-Cities boys in the weeks leading up to the end of the year. Sounds like it's time for Metro Ford to flex their muscles and show Westside just exactly who they are dealing with. Not to mention the fact that, for the past two years at least, Westside have made a living being a second half of the season team. All signs point to a Coquitlam victory in this one and, I would suspect, a decent measure of satisfaction as well.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever How is it that you remember who Rino's Tigers played in the 1st game of the season two years ago, but you can't even remember who won last year's golden boot? :confused:

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
So apparently first two games produced first two shocks of the season:

Metro Ford 0 Westside 2
West Van 0 Campo 1

Thanks to Bellerophons Bastards on Twitter.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I was talking about Chile forfeiting the last game of last season.

I heard they tied Peg today 2-2

Also BCT Rovers 6-2 Inter

Crazy-K

Feb 22, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I was talking about Chile forfeiting the last game of last season.

I heard they tied Peg today 2-2

Also BCT Rovers 6-2 Inter
Yeah that's correct thanks for the score updates

Any score in the 4pm ganes

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So apparently first two games produced first two shocks of the season:

Metro Ford 0 Westside 2
West Van 0 Campo 1

Thanks to Bellerophons Bastards on Twitter.

It was definitely a shock opening to the season. Hands up if anyone had Campo with the opening goal of the Premier League season? Ya, didn't think so. Sure enough they did though, with their pacey winger proving too much for West Van to handle before cutting it back for a tap in 5 mins into the season. The winger continued to cause headaches and that led to a second for Campo. West Van pulled one back in the second half, but, overall, were uninspiring.

Meanwhile Westside overcame an early Coquitlam onslaught and an injury to their CB to take all 3 points. Basso and Metro Ford were rampant early but could not make their pressure tell. Westside scored on their first real attack and then settled into the game. Some inspired defending and goalkeeping kept Coquitlam at bay before their midfielder salted it away with a cracker around the 75 minute mark. The Westside man was left in space 25 yard or so out an curled one sweetly, far stick, top corner to make sure of the points.

The 2pm kickoffs were full of talking points. Rovers Tigers were up 1-0 when a clumsy challenge by Inter's last man saw Ruben reach for the red. The consensus among the neutrals on the sidelines (and even those more partisan) was that the decision was harsh. The other major talking point was Inter's goalkeeper saving a penalty but being ruled to have come off the line. The retake was converted and Inter, as you can imagine, let their frustration be known. Ruben made a big show of sending someone off the Inter bench and when the game finally resumed, Tigers, with a man advantage, were irresistible and romped to a 6-2 win.

More paperwork for the officials in the Peg vs. Chile game as both teams finished with 10 men following respective second yellows. As for the scoring, the Chilean young guns refused to know when they were beaten, twice pulling level with their more experienced opponents to earn a point in a 2-2 draw. Interesting to see CJ wearing the Orange of Rovers Tigers rather than the black of Pegasus and the Surrey outfit clearly missed his presence.

The day rounded out with the return to Premier of Rinos Tigers. Things got off to an infinitely better start in the top fight for the former Ayjal boys,as they saw Richmond off 2-1, eclipsing their entire point total from their last stint in the division. It wasn't a dominating performance, as Richmond controlled the game for long stretches and we're kept at bay by some top class goal keeping. The Rinos young guns were lethal on the counter attack and were good value for the points, though Richmond likely feel that they only have themselves to blame for the loss. Their lone marker came via a contentious, late penalty decision, but really they will feel they should have done better in front of goal throughout the match.

The other match was the newly rebranded CCB against Croatia. The Langley/Surrey boys came flying out of the traps and looked in the mood early. A goal never materialized though and Croatia grew into the game. The Europeans had the ball in the net, only to see it ruled out for offside, but that's as close as either side would come. 0-0 the final and a point each to begin the campaign.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some big shocks on Match Day 1 in the VMSL Premier Division and, if the season continues in this manner, it sets up as great fun for the season. Who will keep it going, who will bounce back and who will drop off in Week 2? Let's get to it!

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 2:

Croatia v EDC Burnaby
Both teams opened with draws; Croatia played to a 0-0 with CCB while Chile twice came from behind against Peg. The youth at EDC was on full display in Week 1 as the kids went hammer and tongs at Pegusus and seemed to have the veterans from Surrey on the back foot for large spells of the afternoon. Croatia seemed to be on their heels early against CCB, but slowly gained control in the game and looked, for the most part, resolute at the back after the opening half hour or so. For all their attacking verve, Chile did show their naiveté at the back at times and Croatia will surely look to exploit and defensive miscues. EDC also already have discipline issues to address as one of their men saw red last time out. Iteresting to see the parallels between these two group as Croatia boasted a fairly green crop of youngsters this time last year and it will be interesting to see if they can use their experience from last season to take change in this one. It sets up as offence against defense and I think you always have to lean towards a squad that keeps things tidy at the back. Croatia to hold down the fort once more, but find the right combination to unlock things going forward this week.

West Van v Rovers Tigers Utd.
What a stunner Campo pulled on the former Trollers in last week's debut. West Van looked truly out of ideas at times, especially after falling behind early. Perhaps they had been counting on a pre-season like atmosphere, given that Campo were completely discounted by many, including myself, as relegation fodder. After a week of training and, likely, a renewed sense of urgency, things will not get any easier for the North Shore boys as early favourites Rovers Tigers travel to Ambleside after their demolition of Inter on Match Day 1. This one shapes up as the MOTW as Rovers have a chance to put West Van 6 points back of the title race, even though it is quite assuredly still early days yet. West Van will not be keen to spend the bulk of the beginning part of the season trying to play catch up and even a draw here keeps things from getting too critical at this early juncture. I just don't see it happening, however. Rovers were irresistible last weekend and that was without Soolsma; I can't see them taking a step backwards this week. It would behoove West Van to play with some desperation and urgency, every this early in the year, but I'm not sure that will be enough. Rovers to start with a perfect 6 points after this one.

Richmond v Metro Ford
Two teams beaten in Week 1 who likely both would have felt they could have gotten points from those games when the fixtures were released. Richmond were punished for their inability to take their chances against newly promoted Rino's Tigers while it was a similar story for Coquitlam against Westside. Metro Ford controlled things early, but after conceding the opener against the run of play, the game settled down and was ultimately finished off when the Westsuders, who are becoming a real bogey team for Coquitlam, potted their second. If Westside are a bogey team for Coquitlam, then Richmond are surely the opposite and perhaps just the tonic the Metro Ford boys need. The Tri Cities crew have made a habit of seeing off Richmond of late and will travel out below sea level with confidence that last week was just an unlucky blip in form. Richmond too will expect to be better on home turf, but the idea that Coquitlam have fallen so far as to be favoured to lose two on the spin just is not reality as the moment. If Richmond were to bag the points then perhaps things will need to be reevaluated with respect to the outlook on Metro Ford's season, but for now I have to back Coquitlam to bounce back with a win.

Pegasus v Rino's Tigers
Tough one to predict here as Rino's surely have their tales up after an opening day win over Richmond. Pegasus looked off the pace at times in their 2-2 draw with Chile and the Surrey boys will be facing a similarly young, fast, fearless team in Tigers this week. It certainly looks, from albeit the small sample size of one game, that Tigers will be able to score goals in the division this season and if their goalkeeper continues to put in performances like he did against Hibs, Rino's should be in a fair number of games this year. Pegasus look to be lacking a spark and drive missing CJ and you have to wonder if they have gone beyond their best before date. A win this week would be a great statement for them to say that they are still a team to be reckoned with and will be up to their usual standards in no time. However, from what I saw last week, I'm just not convinced. That being said, one game is not enough to convince me about Rino's either and if they give up a similar number of chances to Pegasus as they offered up to Richmond, you have to think that Surrey boys will be much more unforgiving. Lots of variables in this one, but I'm taking Peg to win a high scoring affair with plenty of heavy tackling and ill-will.

Campo v Westside
Fate has pitted last week's two surprise packages against each other in this one. Both teams will be coming in on a high following their opening day wins over the teams that finished first and second in last season's table, Coquitlam and West Van. While Westside were definitely surprise winners, they showed flashes towards the end of last season that they could hang with the big boys, including two wins over the aforementioned Coquitlam Metro Ford, one of which lead to a Provincial Cup semi-final birth. Campo's win against West Van however, was a complete bolt from the blue. Nobody gave Campo any chance of winning this game, it was simply a matter of: how many would they lose by? A quality performance and one that will no doubt have them slightly more confident of being able to hang with the big boys all season. Westside would have done well to take notes on the field next to them last weekend and would likely have favoured themselves in this one when the fixtures were originally released. Now though, the optics have changed and the game has taken on a whole new feel. Campo will be full of confidence and seeking another upset, while Westside will go into this one in a different position than much of what they have experienced in Premier so far, as favourites. It will be on Westside to dictate the game while Campo have nothing to lose by getting after them. This one could easily go either way and I'm going to predict a draw and 4 points apiece to start the season for these two.

Inter v CCB LFC
No idea on this one. Inter were completely off the pace last week against Tigers, but that early sending off played a big role in the game; surely the scoreline would have been more palatable had it remained 11 v 11 for the whole 90 mins. Meanwhile, it was very tough to get a read on CCB in a 0-0. Dino certainly had them more organized and structured than at any point of their campaign last season, but who knows what would have happened had they conceded a goal. Would old habits have resurfaced? Or perhaps we would have seen a new resolve out of CCB? The Langley(?) boys looked threatening for periods against Croatia, but wasted a hat-full of chances. Inter have the tools, but clearly have an eye on Nationals as well. Toss a coin in this one, I'll say Inter gets their mojo going at home.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So it's Rovers Tigers, who look like the team to beat this season, along with, somewhat surprisingly, Westside as the teams with perfect records. The biggest surprise would have to be West Van still looking for their first points of the season along with Richmond, both of whom have already played a newly promoted team. CCB are the lone team in the division remaining who are yet to score a goal, they do have a point though, thanks to their opening day draw against Croatia. Let's see if any of these teams are still in the same boat after this weekend.

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 2:

Rovers Tigers
v Campo Atletico
A dose of reality for Campo last week as they were brought down to Earth after their opening week win over West Van. The score line from last weekend suggests though that Westside didn't play them entirely off the park, only emerging with a 2-1 victory. Certainly Campo are at least seemingly to hold their own in the VMSL's top tier, but surely their toughest test awaits Friday night. Rovers Tigers demolished Provincial Champions Inter on opening day before getting past perennial powerhouse West Van last week. Their off season acquisitions real seem to have had the desired effect, particularly the addition of Chetan "CJ" Jhooty from Pegasus, and vaulted Tigers into the position of early season league title favourites. Campo have a few players with top quality attacking flair, especially Edson Castro, but it is their defense that is cause for concern. Premier is not a division where you can simply outscore your deficiencies on a regular basis and this week's fixture will tell us whether or not Campo's rear guard is up to the task at this level. Rovers have been rampant to this point, so they are definitely my pick to win here, the only question is by how much.

CCB LFC v West Van
It's surely an unusual feelings for West Van to find themselves near the foot of the table and on zero points through two games as opposed to the summit and laying the foundation for another title charge. No doubt they are keen to start an assault up the standings as soon as possible and, to that end, perhaps a good time to look at the schedule and see a trip to Newton to face CCB. The newly re-branded Surrey/Langley crew are without a goal on the season and coming freshly off a 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Inter, who themselves had been thumped the week previous by Rovers. Add it all up and it doesn't bode well as things pertain to the early season hierarchy for CCB. One wonders if some cracks in their new facade appeared during their loss to Inter and a return to the bad habits displayed last season started to creep to the surface. A bounce back performance against West Van would certainly make a statement to the league that CCB LFC are a team to be feared at this level and would show a character and resilience that we have not seen from the franchise in recent seasons. However, having yet to see that, I am sure West Van fancy their chances in this one; I'll take them to get off the mark with a win.

EDC v Inter
As is the question with Inter most weeks, this one come down to which Inter team is going to show up? The team that got embarrassed by Rovers or the one that drubbed CCB? The one that only gets up for big games and when it feels there is personal glory on the line or the one that is overflowing with skill and is easily on par with the best in the league? While CCB may have been a bit of a soft touch (we will find out as the Surrey boys' season unfolds), certainly it would have got Inter's mojo going to come a way with a comprehensive victory. The Italians will continue to have an eye on Nationals, which is getting closer on the horizon, but they will also want to hit the tournament in top form. Milad Mehrabi announced his return to centre stage last week with a hat trick, but we are still yet to hear from his namesake Milad Rahmati; could he be back on the scene this week and the X-factor that propels Inter to a win? Chile have started the season full speed ahead, literally and figuratively, as they overwhelmed Croatia last week, putting up four goals of their own in a 4-1 win. This youthful EDC group are a handful and if you cannot keep up with their run and gun pace you risk being left behind and will likely soon be picking the ball out of your net. With six goals from five different scorers in their first two games, the Chileans are proving that they have multiple goal scoring threats, which can only bode well as the season ages and teams begin to adapt to their game plan. So this one certainly looks to have goals in it, but will either side bag the decisive marker? Tough to say. It could easily go either way, but I'm going to chicken out and say it ends level.

Metro Ford v Pegasus
MOTW here as these two juggernauts and rivals meet for the first time this season. Peg have certainly had the better of it in recent seasons. Last year the teams split their two meetings, but, if memory serves, Peg's win ended Coquitlam's perfect season when they were something ridiculous like 15-0-0. The Surrey boys also beat Metro Ford in the Imperial Cup final and, of course, the season previous they knocked of Coquitlam in the Provincial Cup final when almost everyone in the soccer community had already assume the final would simply be a coronation for the Tri-Cities boys. Enter a new season and both teams have, uncharacteristically, stumbled out of the gate. Coquitlam lost to their other bogey team Westside on opening day before rebounded with a 3-1 win over Richmond at the last time of asking. Pegasus looked off the pace, twice letting the lead slip to a Chile squad that looked younger and faster on Match Day 1, but then seemingly had little trouble putting a similarly energetic Rino's group in their place with a 4-1 win this past weekend. Can either team prove that they are still a powerhouse and should be cause for early leaders Rovers Tigers to start looking over their shoulder? Certainly these two squads will be less than enthused about the idea of dropping more points this early in the campaign, so I am expecting a cracker of a match in this one. Peg seem to always come out the better when these two meet, but I am going to take Coquitlam because I think the Metro Ford boys will be the hungrier team at this early stage of the season.

Rino's Tigers v Croatia
It was a reality check regarding life in the top flight for Rino's who, after an opening day victory, were humbled by a veteran group in Surrey Pegasus. Croatia meanwhile have completely missed the mark to start the season with only one goal and one point to show for their early season efforts. A far cry from where they finished last season when they were taking on all comers and, while they will have learned not to panic after a slow start given their ability to turn things around last year, they will not want to dig themselves to deep a hole. They spent some time in the relegation zone during the early part of the previous campaign and know full well it is not a comfortable feeling. Surely a newly promoted side presents exactly the opportunity they need to kick start their engines and begin moving in the right direction. However, on the other side of the coin, no doubt that Rino's will have seen Croatia's early struggles and will be thinking that this is exactly the type of game that they need to get something out of if they are going to be on the right side of the drop come February. Croatia would do well not to take these points for granted as Rino's have already demonstrated their ability to sting opponents that would fall into the category of "more experienced." Both teams should fancy their chances then, which will hopefully make for a top contest. I think Rino's have every chance of coming away with three points in this one, but I will take Croatia on their pedigree as a Premier stalwart and say they are the ones who find a way, perhaps ugly in necessary, to walk away with all the spoils.

Westside v Richmond
The Westsiders must surely be reaching for the oxygen masks as they find themselves in rather lofty heights at this early stage of the season. Two successive victories to begin the campaign have them as one of only two teams with a perfect record and six points on the board. The table would seem to make them favourites to keep that run going as they welcome bottom of the table Richmond to Point Grey on Saturday. However, it also sets up as a trap game for the Vancouverites, given that Richmond are likely better than their record reveals and surely will be desperate to avoid an 0-3 start their year. The Hibs controlled the game for long stretches against Rino's in their opener and were perhaps unlucky not to come away with something to show for their efforts. Last week against Coquitlam was probably a tough ask, especially with the defending champions also coming off a loss, but surely they will fancy getting something off a Westside team who they played-off against for the final Provincial Cup spot last season. Certainly they will want to avoid another loss, as that is when, psychologically, a losing mentality can begin to take hold which can be a tough mountain to climb once you get to that point. I'm expecting a motivated and determined Richmond side, but I won't disrespect the performances that Westside have demonstrated in their first two games either. I think this one ends honours even.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to give Campo full credit tonight. They played with heart and determination. Their #9 scored a wicked goal on a full unstoppable volley to go up one nil. What they didn't anticipate was how fast we would score the equalizer. A well called PK gave them the 2-1 lead. At that point we just kept pressing and didn't look back. Their keeper made some world class saves to keep them in the game. End result 3-2 us. @Whistleblower earned the $10 buck raise tonight well called game :). I appreciated the class and German style of never giving up till the end whistle by Campo. Excellent team and should do well this season.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to give Campo full credit tonight. They played with heart and determination. Their #9 scored a wicked goal on a full unstoppable volley to go up one nil. What they didn't anticipate was how fast we would score the equalizer. A well called PK gave them the 2-1 lead. At that point we just kept pressing and didn't look back. Their keeper made some world class saves to keep them in the game. End result 3-2 us. @Whistleblower earned the $10 buck raise tonight well called game :). I appreciated the class and German style of never giving up till the end whistle by Campo. Excellent team and should do well this season.

Yes I noted their keeper when I saw them play West Van; a tall lanky character who always seems to be able to stretch the one extra inch needed to make a save. He should definitely give them a chance to be in several games this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0