Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting game. Campo hit post in first ten minutes then went down to ten men in first half when player seemed to stand on keeper's foot. Campo said keeper made racist slur to their player. Ref consulted with lino, sent off Campo player and booked Richmond keeper "for whatever it was you said".

Richmond then coasted. Scored before half, went two up, then Camp hit back to make it 2-1 but Richmond went two ahead again two minutes later.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting game. Campo hit post in first ten minutes then went down to ten men in first half when player seemed to stand on keeper's foot. Campo said keeper made racist slur to their player. Ref consulted with lino, sent off Campo player and booked Richmond keeper "for whatever it was you said".

Richmond then coasted. Scored before half, went two up, then Camp hit back to make it 2-1 but Richmond went two ahead again two minutes later.

I'm said keeper, and in no way did I use a racial slur of ANY kind.

The red carded player came speeding in to a ball he had no chance at getting too and left his shoulder in on me.

I told him if he did that again, he would end up on the floor next time. I proceeded to punt the ball and as we crossed paths I stood on his toes. A bit of the dark arts at play there no denying it, but tit for tat I say. At this point the lad saw red and proceeded to kick out across the back of my legs. Thankfully the lino saw it and the rest is history.

Great result for us, and the red card certainly changed the outcome of the game.

On to next week...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If that kid is fabricating about racial slurs, he should be suspended several more games. And maybe the officials need to be a bit more thorough in investigating before deciding to card "for whatever it was you said", if that is what happened.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
With Inter's fixture again postponed while they are off trying to win Nationals in Surrey, it's again only 5 matches on the docket this weekend. Inter were set to play this season's surprise package so far, Coquitlam Metro Ford. The defending VMSL Champions are off to a woeful 1-3 start to the campaign, but we will have to wait another week for a chance to see if they can right the ship. Thanksgiving is often a tricky time for many with family commitments to juggle or out of town students looking to go home over the holiday. The VMSL machine rolls on though and there are valuable points up for grabs!

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 5:

Richmond v Pegasus
Two in-form sides clash at Minoru on Friday night. Richmond have won two on the spin, but Pegasus are undefeated on the season and winners of three straight in their own right. Looks like the veteran Surrey boys might be rolling back the clock and staring down another title challenge. Richmond, for their part, are likely outside of a title race, but will surely targeting a return to the Provincials, a tournament that they have missed out on the two previous seasons, after qualifying at the first time of asking three years ago upon their return from a single season stint in Division 1. It is also a veteran crew out below sea level and this is a match between two teams that know each other very well. Richmond's victories have come against a Westside team that were woeful on the day and a newly promoted Campo side reduced to 10 men. Both good, well earned and well deserved victories for Hibs, but not the sort of results that make you sit up and take notice. To be fair, Peg haven't exactly chalked up a venerable collection of scalps so far this year either, though beating Metro Ford would usually jump off the page as throwing down a marker. However, given the woeful form Coquitlam are in, I'm not surely that victory carries a much weight as it otherwise might. That being said, the Surrey boys' 1-0 win over Metro Ford was more than Richmond could manage, with Hibs being the only team the Tri-Cities boys have managed to beat to this point. All in all, this is just a long way of saying I think that Pegasus are favourites here based on their start to the season and I'll take them to win in this one.

CCB LFC v Campo Atletico
Given the absence of a true marquee fixture I'll say that this one is the MOTW, as it shapes up to be an early season relegation six-pointer. Yes it's October and only Week 5, but CCB are off to a terrible start and Campo, as a newly promoted team, are always likely to be closer to the bottom than the top this season. Campo have had some solid performances to begin the season, but have only the three points they took off West Van on opening day to show for it. Things won't get any easier this week as they have star man Cristian Villatoro suspended due to an incident against Richmond for which he was sent off last weekend. Campo were seemingly right in things against Hibs until they were reduced to 10 men and once again came away with nothing to show for their efforts. That phrase, "nothing to show for their efforts," could well be the tag line for CCB's season. All their re-branding and recruiting, both on and off the field, has, through the first month of the campaign at least, failed to bring any tangible change to the results for the Surrey boys. They were dreadful to finish last season and, were it not for North Delta and Columbus, the teams who ultimately were relegated, having fallen so far back of the rest of the league before late season surges, CCB surely would have had a massive relegation battle on their hands last season, one I'm not confident they would have survived. That being said, CCB made a living off getting the points they needed to get last year and, fast forward to this week, a win over Campo surely once again qualifies under the heading "points they need to get." For Campo, this is a chance to begin to cut an established Premier team adrift which would of course mean that at least one of the promoted teams will survive. Both teams have to be seeing this as an absolutely crucial game, even in October, and, hopefully, that gives us an entertaining game of football. I am really torn with who to pick in this one. Logic says CCB will know they need the points and have proven in the past that these are the types of games that they will win. On the other hand, Campo are arguably playing the better football at the moment and should be hungry to gain a foothold in the league. My gut says CCB will find a way to get it done yet again, but I still cannot get over Campo's opening day win against perennial contenders West Van as well as how close they played Rovers. Perhaps a loss this week will prove that Campo are who we thought they were, a team in over their head, but I'll drink the Cool-Aid for one more week and say they shock the league again, delivering an early season hammer blow to CCB.

EDC Burnaby v Rovers Tigers
The league leaders made, shall we say "predictably", short work of CCB last week and clattered in 6 goals to keep their 100% record going. Despite it being only Week 5, the Surrey boys are looking sure bets as favourites for the league title. Two time defending champions and perennial powerhouses Coquitlam Metro Ford have already lost three games this season and you cannot help but wonder if Pegasus might be Rovers only real challenge at the top this year. Of course there so much season left and anyone can catch fire or hit the skids, but certainly the early signs are promising for a team loaded with talent. With Ryan Dhillon boasting a strike rate of greater than a goal per game currently as well as proven goal scorers Chetan "CJ" Jhooty, Nick Soolsma and Cam Hundal, these Surrey boys will take some stopping. Trying to do just that this week will be EDC who, after a decent start, have crashed back to earth and are coming off a good beating, 4-1, at the hands of West Van. The Chileans began the season in impressive form, accounting for Peg's only dropped points on the season so far via their opening week draw. They followed that up with a convincing win over Croatia, but then were shutout in a narrow 1-0 loss to Inter before being well beaten last time out. Lots of growing pains for a young team, but also signs that there should be enough there to keep them in this division. I think it is fair to say that they would be targeting this game as bonus points and be looking to make sure they are ready their next three games, all against teams that will likely be in the bottom half, scrapping it out to avoid relegation. Chile have bottom of the league CCB next week, followed by newly promoted Campo and Rino's in the subsequent weeks, so their picture as a team will likely be in much greater focus come this time next month. True, a team with nothing to lose can be dangerous and Rovers will do well not to look past EDC, but I think the 100% record should continue.

Westside v Croatia
After what looked like a somewhat dodgy start, Croatia have found their form, as well as their goal scoring boots! The Europeans have hit the back of the net nine times in their previous two games and will surely be confident of scoring against whatever opponent is in front of them this week. Defensively they have also appeared somewhat suspect at times; needing all five goals they scored to ensure that they took maximum points against Rinos two weeks ago and this was on the back of shipping four more to Chile in a game they were well beaten in. However, last week they tightened up, conceding only once while they heaped more misery onto a Coquitlam side who are at complete sixes and sevens currently. Westside, unfortunately for them, are trending in the opposite direction. Having began the season with a pair of victories, the Vancouver boys have slumped to back to back defeats and only manged one goal in that time, while conceding six. It's still early days, so likely tough to get a firm read on either of these two teams. In make up they seem relatively similar, lots of youth along with a few older established players to provide leadership and they split the season series last year, each winning at home. It looks to be a pretty even match up and perhaps a draw is the most likely outcome, but I will tip the in form side and say Croatia grabs a win a Point Grey.

Rino's Tigers v West Van
Well that's more like it for West Van, as they spanked Burnaby last weekend 4-1 after finding their scoring touch, as well as their first points of the season, the previous week in a 3-0 win over CCB. The North Shore boys are in good form and looking much more akin to the team we've been accustomed to seeing of the past few seasons. Rino's managed to find a way to lose a game in which they scored four times in their last outing against Croatia, which is hardly a recipe for success at this level and a lesson that the newly promoted crew would do well to learn. Rino's have a had a week off given Inter were preparing for Nationals last weekend and took the option to postpone the game, so perhaps an extra week's training will have given themselves a chance to refocus and re-energize. West Van have already lost once this season to a promoted team when they were shocked by Campo to begin the season and they surely will not be keen to relive the experience. Rino's have threats, but given their porous back line, their 10 goals against is good enough for second worst in the league with only bottom of the table CCB having conceded more. When you adjust for the fact that Tigers have played a game less, 10 goals against over three games is actually a worse record (3.33 GA/game) than 14 against over four games (3.25 GA/game), it is safe to say this is an area of concern for Rino's. Combine that with West Van's re-found scoring touch and I think the former Trollers should be walking away with all three points this weekend.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chile had a young fast team out there. Although we were missing 3 key starters and we managed the win I was impressed with their heart and determination last night as they kept playing hard to the last minute. Onto the Tigers where we will have a full team and be determined as we lost 2 starters to them this year. This game we have been looking forward to let's hope we keep our emotions in check. Cheers!

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chile had a young fast team out there. Although we were missing 3 key starters and we managed the win I was impressed with their heart and determination last night as they kept playing hard to the last minute. Onto the Tigers where we will have a full team and be determined as we lost 2 starters to them this year. This game we have been looking forward to let's hope we keep our emotions in check. Cheers!

Friday 10 November 2017

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who do you play on Nov 10 peg
I would say that would be a grudge match
As you took CJ
We didn't take CJ he came to us. He's been debating for years as he played with thee hurricane boys for many years. But yes Peg will be a good match always is with us. Lots of tough teams ahead.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just when I thought I was on pace to go 5 for 5 last week I get burned for not trusting my gut and predicting the Westside/Croatia draw. Thankfully it didn't end up making a difference as Rino's pulled off a minor upset, holding West Van to a 0-0 draw. The quest for a perfect week goes on and it's back up to six fixtures with Inter returning from what was, I'm sure, a disappointing fifth place finish at Nationals. Lots of tasty grudge matches this weekend, so let's get into it...

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 6:

West Van v Coquitlam Metro Ford
We begin with the MOTW and if Coquitlam have felt hard done by having to play two of their first four against teams that just always seem to have their number in Westside and Pegasus, then this weekend the shoe is surely on the other foot. The Tri-Cities boys have made a meal out of West Van for the past two season, undefeated in league meetings, back to back first place finishes while West Van were forced to settle for second place, they have knocked them out of the Provincial Cup in consecutive seasons and they beat them in the 2016 Imperial Cup final. After a week off while they sat, likely at least slightly, envious of Inter at Nationals, Metro Ford find themselves officially languishing in a relegation place, a concept that would have been unimaginable when the season began. Who better then to find on the schedule than their favourite whipping boys, West Van? Surely just the tonic they need to get back to winning ways. The North Shore boys will no doubt have other ideas and will be sharpening their knives for an opportunity to kick arguably their biggest bogey team while it is down. West Van have been difficult to get a read on through five games this year. They chalked up wins over Chile and CCB which you would expect given those teams are likely set to finish in the bottom have and, in CCB's case, be part of the relegation battle, but they also put in a gritty performance against league leaders Rovers Tigers, only losing 1-0. Strangely, where they have struggled is against the newly promoted teams losing to Campo on opening day and, after bagging two wins on the spin, they slumped to a 0-0 draw against Rino's. Tough, then, to predict this one and I have gone back and fourth all week in my mind. Part of me thinks Coquitlam has to turn it around sooner than later and that this is the perfect opponent to do it against coming out of a week off. On the other hand, I also have to believe that this game is going to mean a lot to West Van and that the former Trollers, at home with that early Friday kickoff, will likely be fired up to heap more misery upon Metro Ford. In the end, that draw against Rino's tips the scales for me. Were West Van coming into this one off three straight victories over opponents that, let's face it, West Van should be beating, I think this would be the perfect launching pad for them to jump back into the conversation at the top of the table. Instead, with a fully rested team and some desperation against an opponent they have confidence playing, I will take Coquitlam in this one. Let's hope it's a cracker (would be great to get a match report...)

CCB LFC v EDC Burnaby
It was indeed further frustration for CCB last time out, losing to newly promoted Campo at home. The new beginning for CCB seems to be headed straight towards an ending of their time as a Premier team. It is still early enough to salvage this, obviously, however the Surrey boys certainly are not trending in the right direction. Chile have now lost three straight after starting off the campaign with an eye catching draw against Peg before a thorough beating of Croatia. It has been a harsh dose of reality since then for a team that is comprised of many former U21 players trying to prove that they can cut it at this level. This team could one day perhaps win the club's second Provincial title, but that is certainly a few years down the road at the earliest and to make that a reality, they will need to stay in the division. Three points over a struggling CCB team that looks destined for relegation would be an important step to establishing themselves as a Premier calibre team. CCB always have the star power to win a game, but clearly it's just not working. Could they win? Sure. Realistically though, Chile are favourites in this one.

Rovers Tigers v Rino's Tigers
It's Tigers vs Tigers in this one and, like in any good cat fight, emotions are running high. Plenty of talk during the week about player poaching, etc. and both sides will be very motivated to prove a point. One name that is at the forefront in this one is Jacob Lensky. The former Whitecaps man chose Rino's over Rovers in the summer and is now set to face the side he spurned. Not sure if he has any regrets choosing a relegation battle over a title challenge, but the rumor is that he has several thousand reasons not to be too bothered... As for the match, Rino's caught the eye with a good 0-0 against West Van last time out, however Rovers are a completely different ball game. At 5-0, it would be a true stunner to see the Surrey boys' 100% record end against newly promoted Rino's, but this is football and that's why we play the games. A touch of classs? A top class goalkeeping performance? Perhaps a refereeing decision or a moment of madness to draw a red card? Any of these factors could change the game. On paper though, this one is a slam dunk, Rovers over Rino's.

Croatia v Richmond
Richmond seem to be cyclical almost, two losses, then two wins, now another loss. The pattern would point to a Croatia victory and the Europeans have seemingly reestablished themselves as a top team in the division, having now climbed to third with just a solitary loss on their record. They are coming off the back of a hard fought draw with Westside and will no doubt be keen to get back to winning ways. Last week I talked myself out of picking a Croatian draw in that one and instead picked them to win, giving them an edge based on their previous form. From what I have seen of the team they are headed in the right direction to contend at the top under the watchful eye of the Sulentics. I think they are full value for their league position and will again pick them to win this week, the Richmond pattern doesn't hurt either!

More to come later...

Reactions: GoF

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saturday:

Inter v Westside
And so Inter return from Nationals, defeated perhaps, but still better from the experience, no doubt. Now the question is: do they have the appetite for the long journey back to the National stage? Qualifying for a second consecutive National Championships likely feels a lifetime away for Inter, but, if they are to return, it is time to get back to the task at hand, the VMSL. Two games in hand over the rest of the league means Inter will face a fixture backlog, likely for most of the season, so they should be in a position to turn it on late in the year as always. That being said, I'm sure they are in a rather ornery mood after failing to meet the expectations that they had for themselves at Nationals. What better opponent for them to see on the calendar than Westside? Inter are always up for big games and, for some reason, they really seem to hate Westside. This is a rivalry game to them and, whatever the root cause of this may be, it can only help Inter's psyche going into this one. The Westsiders stopped the rot last time with a quality draw against Croatia and their results over the past few months, going back to last season, indicate that they should not be taken lightly. However, I just feel that Inter have some pent up energy, ready to unleash this weekend and they would love nothing better than to demolish Westside. Not sure about the demolishing, but I will that the Italians to win.

Campo v Pegasus
Great result for Campo last weekend, taking all three points off CCB. Those are invaluable in what will surely be a right relegation race come the New Year. Peg were untroubled last time out against Richmond, meaning that their opening day draw against EDC remains the sole blemish on their record. Pegasus look like a contender for the league title and are perhaps the only real challenge to Rovers Tigers, who currently sit perched at the VMSL's summit. Campos one and only goal this season must be to stay in the league. To that end, they will likely accept that these are bonus points this weekend, if they can get anything out of this game. Peg are surely the favourite here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts