Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters 2007/08] November Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, 15 months and 7 days... You are that excited about getting old? Believe me, it ain't all it is cracked up to be. We don't all age as gracefully (or perhaps as surgically) as SDCMT Blonde -- 15 months and 8 days from now you will see... and feel.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside 2 - Wickham 1. A cold night it was, but fortunately no wind. We have not had good luck playing them on their home turf, which certainly plays to their strengths. They are a very fast side that goes for the fast break. We prefer to work a ball and defensively close down opporunities. But these guys keep launching the home run ball, forcing us to run and run and run. Sucks if you are me (aged knees and no real desire to see if I can run farther than I have in a few years tracking some young speedster). In the first half, we had a couple quality headers that we should have finished. I don't recall anything menacing on their part. Early in the second half, we finally got a break on a deflected shot that went in. But, that just seemed to make them angry and run harder at us. Wickham then had a few chances - a three on none. Fortunately for us, our "none" is Merks who ate their lunch. That has to take the wind out of your sails. I have seen him do this so many times - it is beautiful to watch. I think Merks is getting tired of the entire back line just letting people go by so he can do this to the opposing forwards. But, it plays well into our strategy. However, Wickham continued the pressure and were rewarded with a well deserved goal. Some time later, Atts is breaking down the left side ino the box and forces their defender to take him out, giving us a PK which JC finished again in fine form. Then came more home run balls launched with little success. I don't think you could find 2 teams more different than Westside and Wickham in the style of play. But, the celebratory beer was nice and cold in the dark parkingl lot, and helped wash down the liquid gel Alleves.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sapp, Wick, heck Westside isn't too far out of that relegation mix. Who knows, SU and WV aren't too far ahead, either.

Wow - so I just found out that it is true that the bottom team from each side goes down. Who thought up that logic:confused: Why wouldn't you just take out the bottom two teams on total points? Sure, on the stronger side, it is harder to get points, but arguably, the lower end of the stronger side will collect their points off the weaker side, thus protecting them from going down. Whoever is responsible for that idea should go sit in the corner with the Dunce hat on. I know that there is no perfect system when you have two sides and do not play everyone the same number of teams, but this is a head scratcher:eek:

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Merks is getting tired of the entire back line just letting people go by so he can do this to the opposing forwards.

just be thankful he didn't turn around and boot the ball into his own net. been known to happen.:D

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just tallied up the A side vs. B side games.

B side has won 22 matches, tied 4 and lost 8.

Maybe next year the sides will be laid out according to this year's final points standings (first place team on A side, second place on B and so on)? Granted, last year MF was a top contender and this year are right near the bottom, but I think this would be a better system than the random draw.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Freddy:
You are right! B side have won their fair share of games. Don't forget it is a long season. Things CAN change very quickly. If you were to look at the game results, goals for/against you might see a few things.

Last year, teams moved over to the other side depending on how they finished. We were one of those teams.

In any case, if you are the bottom dwellers you may want to move down to Div. 1 and work on a few things to get back up to Premier. Just look at Richmond who are all over Div 1 thus far.

Good win by the way. Wickham are a tough side to play against especially on the turf.

SCK

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
SCK didn't they swap 3rd and 4th place teams or something? I know we moved over, and I think we were 3rd last year. It kind of is a crapshoot anyway because some new players on a team always changes things. In my opinion Wickham, Westside, and Inter actually,may actually thus far be the most improved teams, on a given day. If those new players are not out on a given week, then they are not one of the most improved teams. IMO some of the traditionally strong teams that have been underachieving thus far this year have done so by not this year signing the quality, or young players that the more improved teams have. This is why it is so close every game this year (or most anyway).

My personal vote is we go to one division of ten teams again.

M.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
one division is the best way

Last year even though we (R.U.) didn't fair well we were relegated because of the A and B Side set up ..

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Columbus 3 Inter 0

Great day to play a match...Only one team showed up. In all of the years that I've played, never have I seen us look disinterested against Columbus. Usually, a great game. Today, wasn't meant to be. Congrats to them for playing hard and scoring two goals off the run of play. We missed a PK towards the end of the half which didn't help...I missed a few. Great saves by their keeper BTW. Columbus on a roll and will go far if they continue to play well. Cheers Hose!!
SCK

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Out in Burnaby at 9 AM this morning, it was Cliff Ave 0 and West Van 0.

I, certainly, am disappointed with this scoreline, despite the difference in numbers out for the two sides.

Conductor: Big M made numerous brilliant saves, including those on the numerous breakaways. But the full stretch off of Mandla with 2 mins to go was the save of the match.

Sir M.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank God, Sir M finally a tie... good on both sides.

I gave the squad my finest Steve MacLaren speech at half-time Friday night, but they couldn't find a way. In the end, something about two footing a guy running off the end touchline that was too tempting... nothing more heartbreaking than a win (especially by the other team.)

Bring on the cold, wet, muddy days of winter; Wickham needs them now.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sapp 2
NSBRM 1

A game where we let the refereeing get into our heads and decided that lumping the ball forward was the only way to play.

1-1 at the half and then they scored the winner on a PK about 5 minutes into the second half.

We need to regroup quickly which won't be easy as I think Pete may be out for awhile :(

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BRM 2 - Surrey U 1

Sapp came out in their 'retro' (2000 gear) reds and SU took it on the chin.
WAB gets sacked at mid-field after laying off the pass, scrum ensues, play goes on, Sapp scores, SU complains. SU gets the equalizer on a goalie error just before half. Paul Favs runs circles around SU in the 2nd half and creates the game winning PK.

With about 25 to go SU was tired and ran out of ideas on how to score on the day. Fitting result as Sapp basically controlled the 2nd half tempo and finally got their deserved points vs SU.

Westside, and West Van owe points to Sapp as well; those will come soon enough.

Hose

Apr 10, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny you should mention our upcoming game. How quickly you forget the first one. Have some balls and admit to it being a close one. I am sure that you are dreaming of some lopsided score....Don't think it will happen. As for criticizing our overall points I don't believe we have been outplayed as of yet...maybe Sapp but that's it. See you Sunday whether or not you are on or off the field piccolo. That's small in Italian for you Ballbaby.
SCK

Columbus 3 Inter 0

Really l'idraulico.........Ballboy thats plumber in ITALIAN!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SAPP owes everyone a better home park to play them on and decent changerooms. Until then we'll keep the points, but thanks.
What about Quilchena?! As a POS park expert, Quilly is a POS if I ever saw one. Hey, the changing rooms are great - at least we have 'em, but the field is total crup.

AntiFan

Apr 4, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really l'idraulico.........Ballboy thats plumber in ITALIAN!

A man of few words....

idiot is english for idiot... i think :rolleyes: or was it WAB?

WAB, does Cracovia owe you points as well, or was that the one game you were out played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0