Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] Predictions, Results & Banter October, 2005

Who will win this weekends clash of the, er, titans, Bombastic or Yaletown

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2A Result

Belmont 2 - 1 Firemen

After losing our first 2 games against painfully average teams we are finally putting some points up. The 2A standings now look a little more like they should with Signmaster, Fury and Belmont in the top 3.

May 12, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bandcamp said:
2A Result

Belmont 2 - 1 Firemen

After losing our first 2 games against painfully average teams we are finally putting some points up. The 2A standings now look a little more like they should with Signmaster, Fury and Belmont in the top 3.
I was jsut thinking this exactly. Belmont trip out of the gate and now look out. I predicted you to fight for promotion.....a little as an outside chance but never the less to be in the fight. Nice to see Bandcamp. i hate being wrong!!!!!!:eek: :mad:

Cookie Monster

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yomama! said:
Cookie Monster,

Thanks for your input but the call was close....in fact, very close. If you did watch the game like you attest to then you would know that contact was made at the top of the box. You can't judge it by where the guy lands which was like 7 yards into the box (this often happens when you outweigh a guy by 60 pounds). If anything, the ref awarded the free kick as a make-up for an earlier non-call in the Primos box where an NK striker was brought down. Surely, you must have seen this as even the Warlock (NK's devout defender) had a few choice words for the ref after the incident. :p

Listen, I am trying to be as impartial as possible, but I can tell you that the foul was 100% in the box (at least 3 to 4 yards). Even you are admitting that it may have been a make-up call. Anyhow, I wasn't close enough to comment on the other call, but if it was your #30, I can tell you that the ref was a little tired of his diving and acting (you may want to tell him to tone it down, for his own good) This is in no way taking away from NK's win, this was a well faught game that could have gone either way. But, as I said NK doesn't look like the powerhouse that the stats are showing. The good news for you guys however, is that the Devils look like they are having some personnel problems (not suprising, since they are carrying a few dicks). I think these guys would have been your biggest challenge, other than Primo (who has a tie and a loss to yourselves). It's a shame that the three of you are in the same group because I think all of you should get promoted over the other top placed teams in Div.2. I think this will show itself in the cup rounds. Look for total Div.2B domination.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cookie Monster said:
It's a shame that the three of you are in the same group because I think all of you should get promoted over the other top placed teams in Div.2. I think this will show itself in the cup rounds. Look for total Div.2B domination.
We'll see in the cup, but I'm assuming you haven't seen much of the other groups. Otherwise, you'd have to be a lunatic to rate all three of those sides over teams like Sporting Punjab and Signmaster.

Cookie Monster

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're correct! I haven't seen Sporting Punjab, but I have seen and played against Signmaster and I can tell you that these three teams "should" be able to beat them. Secondly, every other team in 2B will be tough in the cup round. You definitely can't say that for the other groups with teams like the Roos, Real Mac, C-men, etc. These teams are way weaker and if other teams in Group 2B (like Westside, JBs, Nomads, etc) were in 2A or 2C, trust me they would be in the top 3. See you in cup rounds, good luck!

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cookie Monster said:
You're correct! I haven't seen Sporting Punjab, but I have seen and played against Signmaster and I can tell you that these three teams "should" be able to beat them. Secondly, every other team in 2B will be tough in the cup round. You definitely can't say that for the other groups with teams like the Roos, Real Mac, C-men, etc. These teams are way weaker and if other teams in Group 2B (like Westside, JBs, Nomads, etc) were in 2A or 2C, trust me they would be in the top 3. See you in cup rounds, good luck!
I've seen the Nomads and Westside play, and there is no way they would be near the top 3 in 2C, and I'd assume that Bandcamp and Rikashay would say the same about 2A. I haven't seen NK or Primos since last year, but I've watched the Devils a lot (we play right after them at David Lam) and they are definitely a good side. I think the main thing with 2B is that the teams are so closely matched at the top. 2C is a bit skewed because Sporting Punjab are by far the best Div. 2 side I've seen in the last couple of years, and I'll be impressed with whoever takes points off them. As for the bottom of the table, I've played against Unicorns and B-United, and they certainly aren't any better than the C-Men and Zawisza. As for Real Macdonald, they are just a phenomenon that defies explanation and can't be used as a judge for the rest of the group.
Since I haven't seen all teams in all groups, I can't definitely say that 2B isn't the best group on average, but it certainly isn't nearly as dominant as you'd like to have it. Check out some 2A and 2C matches if you get the chance.

Devils Advocate

Sep 1, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
rumour has it that the green devils are about to expand the irish contingent in their side with a further signing,after the success of their first two irish signings the green devils management have been are keen to snap up this player from this little country,expect this player in the next week or two!whether or not he will be as good as the other two is a totally different matter

Cookie Monster

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oggy said:
Since I haven't seen all teams in all groups, I can't definitely say that 2B isn't the best group on average, but it certainly isn't nearly as dominant as you'd like to have it. Check out some 2A and 2C matches if you get the chance.

Point well taken and I will try to catch a few more 2A and 2B games. But the C-men, are you kidding me? I would suggest you catch a few 2B games. The Unicorns you are talking about just tied the Green Devils. Douglas Park tied JBs (a good Div.2 team) earlier in the season. Richmond FC won the Div.2 cup just 2 years ago and Westside and Nomads A have been around for some time and are always solid. The C-men, Roos, Real Mac and Zawisza don't stand a chance against good teams. Dude, 2B has NO EASY GAMES, trust me. We have learned this the hard way. When I used to play in 2C you could always count on a few wins against some of the above teams, not in 2B. 2A is more of a dark horse as I don't know the bottom teams all that well, but Signmaster, Belmont, and Fury are all good teams that I have alot of experience against (were in 2C last years) and they would be average in 2B. Sporting Punjab look really strong but they are in the weakest group and I don't think they would be rolling through teams in 2B as they are in 2C. I guess only time will tell, but when cup play starts, don't be surprised if you see 2 or 3 teams from 2B in the Semis. Until then, anything can happen!

whack

Feb 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cookie Monster said:
Sporting Punjab look really strong but they are in the weakest group and I don't think they would be rolling through teams in 2B as they are in 2C. I guess only time will tell, but when cup play starts, don't be surprised if you see 2 or 3 teams from 2B in the Semis. Until then, anything can happen!
And when cup play ends, dont be surprised to see Sportin Punjab Hurricanes as the champs.

May 12, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Devils Advocate said:
rumour has it that the green devils are about to expand the irish contingent in their side with a further signing,after the success of their first two irish signings the green devils management have been are keen to snap up this player from this little country,expect this player in the next week or two!whether or not he will be as good as the other two is a totally different matter
Look mate if you have something to tell us....then start telling us. Don't be writing these frikin "George McCastanza" third person trollip.

With that said I would sign most Irishmen to play with. Great heart, great grit and ususlly with some tallent. Don't disregard the McCastanza comment though.

Is the rumour mill correct that you have lost people!!

May 12, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oggy said:
We'll see in the cup, but I'm assuming you haven't seen much of the other groups. Otherwise, you'd have to be a lunatic to rate all three of those sides over teams like Sporting Punjab and Signmaster.
SP Hurricanes were great last year and this year even better from my understanding.

I think something most people fail to recognize in Div 2 is the fact that many games are won by average teams (this is why we are all Div 2). The reason some teams win more regularily is because they eliminate mistakes. 75% of the goals are scored because of another teams "Div 2" mistakes. Thus a team that looks "average" but seems to be winning alot, is probably better than they look. They do the little things right and limit their mistakes. Sounds like NK are doing just that. OH YA the other thing that helps is having a GOOD KEEPER.

Portugese Club have a very solid keeper......but a bunch of inidividuals in front that ignore the game plan. They lose or tie due to mistakes!!!

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whack said:
And when cup play ends, dont be surprised to see Sportin Punjab Hurricanes as the champs.
The "whack" attack of smack (04-05 FVSL Div 2 thread fame) is back. Whas up! I was expecting , with the entrance of SPH to the VMSL, a lot more lively thread but you have been way too quiet. Blowing out teams each week must be either, boring, or you are one year older and that much wiser :D.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside Knights over Nomads 4-1. Nomads began with10 men. About fifteen minutes in both teams players began filtering in. Gotta love that 2nd div. dedication! First half was scrambly and hard working with both teams wasting gift scoring chances. Knights put their latecomers (the good doctor included...) in at the half and completely took over. Texas Rattler with a clinically taken (read 5 thoughts in his head before he kicked the ball...) penalty, and three more completed a rout that could have been a lot worse for Nomads. It could be that Nomads were missing some players because they did not play up to their usual competetive selves. Of course it was nice for the Knights to have more than 11 players in attendance as well. I must say that our home field (Montgomery) is easily in the top three or four worst fields that we have played on this year. The boys school down the road hold their football practices on it. Ruts are located every ten yards. Is there a worse pitch in the league? By the way, I must agree with cookie Monster In his assertion that 2 B is perhaps the second division's toughest bracket. There are no real pushover games. Most are not settled until late in the 2nd half. Of course each bracket has a couple of teams who would definitely be in thirds if there was still such a thing. But overall, 2B is the best in my opinion. If the Knights had a real goalie, better turnout to games and more apple crisp days at the home, I am sure that they too would be amongst the fronrunners in the second division's toughest bracket. Next up, the mysterious Unicorns. What is up with these guys? They tie Douglas Park one week and then the Greenies the next? Perhaps they are like the Knights. Playing up, Or down,to their opponents from week to week.

Cookie Monster

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
whack said:

Maybe, with the rest of 2C teams eliminated in the first round. Don't be so defensive, look at your group objectively bro!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Devils Advocate said:

I have a new team to support now. What are the uniforms like, Devils Advocate? :D Perhaps, you could have another Irishman on the team, one with no right knee or foot.

angryman

Feb 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
the 5th back said:
Thanks Erion.... :rolleyes:

Well, it was 5-0 at half time so the one positive we can take out of this game was that we played better in the 2nd. That could have been because Kosova let up a bit, who knows. We have some talent in our midfield but unfortunately they're inexperienced in playing defense - got caught on several rushes where it was 5 on 2, 4 on 2, etc. Lacking a little speed on the backline also, which didn't help. We tried playing the offside trap to counter Kosova's speed but 2 or 3 times the ball carrier simply walked through himself. No pass, no offside. No. 8, centre-midfielder, did that a couple of times. But like I said, 2nd half was better with more possession and scoring chances for us (we could have had a couple more goals easy). I hope we're learning.

It's deja-vu all over again...I seem to remember experiencing this over and over again in a past life ;)

Feel for ya 5TH...losing a lot and getting thumped ain't no fun...thank god for the cooler of doom :(

Remember to pressure the ball carrier on the trap....

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Georgie's Best said:
SP Hurricanes were great last year and this year even better from my understanding.

Yes we were good last year, we had the best team on paper, but as a team on the field, we couldn't put it together. That game against NK last year summed up our year. We must of had atleast 20 clear-cut chances, but couldn't score. We hit the post/cross-bar about 6 times and had another half a dozen breakaways. But, as a first year new team we learned a lot and its paying off so far. We cut some players loose from last years squad and added some solid players. Everyone is on the same page, which is the major difference from last year.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
I have a new team to support now. What are the uniforms like, Devils Advocate? :D Perhaps, you could have another Irishman on the team, one with no right knee or foot.

Captain - you need look no further than Belmont FC to throw your Irish support. FULL of Irish blood over there. You should see our corner flags.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
watcher said:
daPotato
Don’t know what to say to you except…..If you have anything left, come to training on wed at 8pm at Queens Park then The Watcher will know where things are coming from.

Speechless, you? Hmmm, do I have anything left? Nothing if you're talking about alcohol or ganja, but I can get some. If you mean skill, speed and vision in football terms, well my game speaks for itself. As for where things are coming from, I would hope that your parents had explained the birds and the bees to you. If not maybe Yomama or Slowmotion could help you out.

whack

Feb 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
well bonefish, blowing teams out week in week out has become quite boring. I thought last year was bad, but its pretty much the same thing again this year. Since there is no rivalry here yet for us, i thought id ease off on the talking as it did get carried away last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts