Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL DIV 1] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
CAT is a joke. Period. But it's the only way to have an expanded roster and find alternate game time for guys.

For example Regs you mentioned Westside as a model club. I know they have a CAT team and have had some success using that structure. 5 or 6 guys over 3 or 4 years have gone from being the BEST player on their CAT team to contributing to their first team. They know the league is trash though, and the club would WAY prefer to have a Div 2/3 team and be able to bring people up, but such is the restriction of the glorious VMSL.

You also mentioned Surrey. Even though they have a CAT team, in speaking with them I know they sign upwards of 30 guys to their Prem team and the CAT team operates essentially autonomously. No idea why they don't enter Div 3, they've been at or near the top of the CAT "league" the last few years and if I'm not mistaken and if they aren't really getting a look at Prem why stick with that system? No idea on the club politics there though.

I do know the Westside guys are trying to approach things differently, trying to go all "Oakland As" as they know without having a youth club feeder or paying players they can't really compete with the top end teams. They are all about club culture and player development, older guys mentoring younger guys and trying to keep players around year over year even if they are good enough to play at Prem somewhere else. They want to create something long term that is stable and can return them to the kind of success they had a generation ago. Will it work? Who knows, but they are giving it a try (and it's also I hear why they turned down Tigers when they asked to merge...although I will be 100% honest and say that is strictly what I HEARD, I don't know it for sure but TTPs all about rumors right?? :D)

As for teams in the same division, it's happened before (see Westside Rinos/Westside Rangers circa 2008). Not sure how much "collusion" there was back then as I'm pretty sure the results of that season laid the foundation for the great split a few years later.

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bingers army 2-1 Akal. Nice game akal is stronger then I have seen in several years as I have seen lots of akal teams #7 is a very good striker had a great goal to give akal late life but could not equalize on the tropical october night.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its safe to say everyone can agree that there is no perfect system or structure at an amateur level. As others have said the theory of CAT was great but clearly it doesn't work. For me on a premier level the system to use is the U21. I would allow more then 2 overaged players per game as it currently sits and say 3-4 players instead. That way the guys getting less minutes can get some with U21 and ideally be leaders on that team helping that upper 3-5 become premier players and be positive influences. It gets the U21 knowing the older guys and helps keep them in the system and able to set sights on where they can play.

I also don't mind a club having a div.1 team and div.2 etc as clubs should be allowed to pull up players. Basically the Valley System. graduating U21 players can play div.1 etc instead of starting a new team. This has seemed to create a lack of teams getting promoted in the Valley as the top teams have become div.1 teams of clubs with a premier team. I for one don't think a club should have anything more then 1 div.1 or 1 premier side. Below the who cares, sorry but thats beer league and mostly guys who will never play premier...some exceptions. So if a club can handle 2-3 div.2 teams they usually run independently anyway. Soccer obsesses a bit about promotion/relegation, if there isn't a team to be promoted there isn't. Merge to become better or find better players who can't get minutes somewhere else.

I think the key in clubs is putting the younger guys under your wing and forming relationships. Some will leave but the top top guys will most likely stay as they feel apart of something. I don't really want to play with the guy that jumps ship every year anyway.

None of it is perfect of course and all has holes but working as a club is the key in my opinion, rogue and independent teams are a flash in the pan for the most parts.

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps we can give the cat discussions etc a break and get some game reports? Any word from Saturdays action? I saw a bit of Shaheen vs columbus but it was too miserable so went home with columbus up 1-0

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 5
13 DIV 1 1660 ICSF Columbus A
14 DIV 1 1578 Guildford FC A
15 DIV 1 1565 Binger's Army
16 DIV 1 1560 FC Romania
17 DIV 1 1540 Westside FC A
18 DIV 1 1509 NDFC Olympics A
19 DIV 1 1480 Metropolitan A
20 DIV 1 1470 Akal FC
21 DIV 1 1457 SDFC Royals A
22 DIV 1 1440 Sarajevo FC A
23 DIV 1 1390 Rino's Vanc SC
24 DIV 1 1375 Shaheen FC A

Oct 16, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched most of the teams in the division so far, the team that I have been most impressed with is columbus and looks like they are going back up for sure. Westside is a good squad but had a slow start. Shaheen isn't the same team as before, surprised to see them doing really bad. Watched the top teams play as well, guilford is a very young squad and will be a hard team to steal points off, however, haven't been impressed with bingers, do not understand how they are at the top they play kick and chase and cannot control the ball, however, the goalie is top notch. Romina is a good squad, they play aggressive and are a fast squad. Rhinos are not the same as before, looks like that merger did not turn out that good :dead:, south delta is an okay squad. North delta looks like they are having a tough time adapting to the vmsl so far, however, it does not seem like they have the same squad as last year. Akal is a decent side with quality players, however, they have had a slow start as well. The students will be a hard team to steal points off as well. It is too early in the season, however, i predict columbus and guilford to go up and rhinos and shaheen to go down. Goodluck to everyone!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is too early in the season, however, i predict columbus and guilford to go up and rhinos and shaheen to go down. Goodluck to everyone!

I'd be very impressed if Guildford went up. I can't remember the last time a team went from Div 2 straight to Prem. Lots of Div 2 wonder kids have expected to by-pass the division in one season before, in recent memory I can recall AC Campobasso and Shaheen winning damn near everything in Div 2 only to find that there really is a step up to Div 1. Even the mighty Tigers had to toil in Div 1 for an extra year.

Guildford has set themselves up well to have a chance to buck the trend though. Tonight vs Columbus will be a great measuring stick #MOTW.

As for everybody else the table seems to be splitting into a top 6 bottom 6 at the moment. Columbus look a lock to yo-yo back up. All due respect to Bingers and Romania but I cannot see them keeping up this pace for an entire season. Perhaps they will, but I would suggest its up to Westside and North Delta to sort their sh*t out and reel in Guildford for that second spot.

Interesting that ND appear to be having a much tougher time than expected with the move to VMSL. Prov Cup semi-finalists last year and clearly aren't the same team. I'm sure they have college guys that they are waiting on, but they are not alone in that respect. They had a chance to really step on Westside's throat last weekend but could not deliver.

At the bottom South Delta is going to have to really scrap and claw to stay up. I would be SHOCKED if Rino's went down. I cannot imagine that this whole Tigers fiasco has sent the club into so much disarray as to completely derail their second team as well. I look at a team like Shaheen and wonder if in fact the passion has maybe trickled out of that squad from previous seasons now that they have been trapped in Div 1 for four or so years. Or a team like Sarajevo who had to really pull it out of the fire in the second half of the season last year to stay up and you wonder if there is the commitment there to survive another slow start. And of course Akal, will they keep things taped together long enough to earn the points required to stay in the league? Seems like they are always flirting with a complete implosion.

Lots of twists and turns to go before the end of the season. Div 1 is always entertaining!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Binger's will know where they stand after the next 2 weeks as the play Columbus and Guildford.

Oct 16, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
4-1 rhinos over aka caught about 30 minutes of this game last night and Akal looked like garbage. Rhinos had a good winger #21. they looked more hungry and wanted to get those 3 points. Tonights game is going to really good, this is a test for the young guilford lads. If they get get a point, I would say that is an accomplishment because columbus is the team to beat as they will be going up this year. It good to see that ND got the three points last night as well, I predicted them to go up in the beginning of the season but started to have my doubts after seeing them play a couple of teams. If they can get 3 points next week then I think that they will start to build momentum and show us the old ND team from last year. Goodluck to everyone else playing today and tomorrow.

Oct 16, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
columbus and guilford drew 2-2. columbus goalie got hurt and had to throw a player in net. Columbus was up 2-0 and guilford tied up 2-2 in the second half. Unlucky for columbus because a decent goalie would have stopped both those goals. However, hats off to guilford...played extremely well and did not give up. Things are looking interesting at the top of the table now. ND is slowly creeping up there now...well see how things play out now

Daft_Hunka

Dec 17, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford have been able to stay in every game because they truly are a team...that consistency will keep them competitive all year but from what I have seen from those videos...nothing exceptional.

Oct 16, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford have been able to stay in every game because they truly are a team...that consistency will keep them competitive all year but from what I have seen from those videos...nothing exceptional.
I agree with you that none of the players are superstars but they play together as a team really well. They are really fit and organized and thats what you need to get points in div 1 in my opinion

Daft_Hunka

Dec 17, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, team dynamics are key...strength rests in the foundation of your weakness. The div 1 players are now a quarter into the season and onto the holiday home stretch. Some teams have had easier starts, namely Columbus. Watched them for many years and after Guildford's result they now play Romania, Binger's, ND and Metropolitan in 4/5 weeks...Bingers will also run that Gauntlet starting next week with Romania, who will be tested having lost 2-1 in the last minutes to Guildford...ND also meet the stalwarts of div 1 in the tail end of the schedule...early hiccups for them could be magnified in these coming weeks. A lot of big games and I look forward to catching some action at the accessible parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0