Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL DIV 1] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would be interesting to see what would happen. I am not familiar with the league rules but I suspect that the league would not allow that to happen but then again I have been wrong before.

Does anyone know?
----------------------
It can be even more interesting. Norvan Premier is in last place, so it it is possible that they will be relegated. Norvan Storm in 2A could be promoted as they seem to be in first place. Thus, we hypothetically could have two clubs controlling one third of the teams in Division 1.
----------------------
Perhaps at the end is just a manner of recognizing that certain clubs due resource limitations (financial, player supply, management) will just gravitate to certain divisions even if they try hard. I hope Rino and Norvan stay in Premier, but perhaps it is not meant to be.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Check the current standings:

upload_2015-10-6_6-37-39.png
upload_2015-10-6_6-38-18.png

upload_2015-10-6_6-39-7.png
upload_2015-10-6_6-39-40.png

upload_2015-10-6_6-36-41.png

Next year we could have actually three Rino's teams in Division 1: Tigers (if they get relegated), Rino's Vanc (if they stay in Division 1), and Rino's Fury (if they win Division 2 B league).

Would that be good for a league?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Other than the league, for whatever reason, discourages it... I don't see the problem with it.

Doesn't seem to affect the FVSL, have a look at their Div 2 line-up.

It's time to scrap the CAT system in 'open' and let clubs have as many teams as they can support. Would you rather have a club that is organised and a history of supporting adult soccer - Westside would be my model club in this regard - or these bloody fly-by-night outfits the league has been plagued with the last decade or so?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Other than the league, for whatever reason, discourages it... I don't see the problem with it.

It's time to scrap the CAT system in 'open' and let clubs have as many teams as they can support. Would you rather have a club that is organised and a history of supporting adult soccer - Westside would be my model club in this regard - or these bloody fly-by-night outfits the league has been plagued with the last decade or so?

I will ask the league about their position. My sense is that it would lead to problems. The clubs in the FVSL seem to be run in a different manner with teams having autonomy. However, RINO and NVFC are different. It is not good for competition to have teams that train together, and are managed by the same people or structure to be competing with each other. It will lead to accusations/speculations of collusion or indeed those could happen. It is human nature to collude/cooperate in the face of adversity.

As for the CAT system, it can be very helpful in developing players and teams. It is just a tool and it depends on whether or not the coach/club can organize in a way that is of benefit to players and teams. I have experienced both aspects. The only drawback that I see is that they do not organize the CAT games by day. In other words, CAT teams playing only Thurdays or Sundays. From experience, once I took over a team and needed to save it from relegation, and the CAT system was instrumental on this objective. CAT games were used to correct errors in movement from players. I personally like to have a CAT team when coaching. It is not always possible due to schedules, but it is a good avenue for development.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Developing players for what?

Seriously, big picture stuff question, why do we need to "develop" players in their 20's in an amateur men's league?

CAT has been a failure.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

The CAT system is garbage. Having been a fringe player on a couple prem teams in the past... I found it was a waste of time. The valley and Richmond have the right idea. CAT always seemed like a place for the fringe Prem players to play in. Good luck trying to crack the first team from CAT.(Our CAT team won the B provincial that year as well). The Under 21s are more of a priority. Maybe that's the point of CAT? Put the CAT teams in proper divisions and give them something to play for. We all crave competetions wether from possible promotion to a relagation battle.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
No need to be jaded Regs.... Players are developed so they can enjoy the game more and feel better about themselves in the game. Not everyone had the fortune to have the resources (i.e. money or support from the parents) to go to academies or places where they could learn a bit about the game. For some, it means a lot to play Premier for others just Division 2 is their goal. It is fine whatever modest the objectives of the player. What matters is that at the end they improve a bit and feel good about themselves and the game.

The CAT system is optional for the team and player. You can move teams or clubs if you do not like it. Just let the ones that benefit from it and use it wisely to continue to do so.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaded? WTF?

Look around you. Solid U21 teams winning provincials are opting OUT of any CAT system to keep playing as a TEAM.

No matter the division, the VMSL is NOT for players who need to learn a bit about the game... I'm not even sure where you are going with not having the money / support for academies...

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really do not understand what the CAT system has done to some of you guys. It is OPTIONAL for the club and player. It is only 10 or teams, so it is not a big deal. Even if a team opts out, it had the experience to play with players or teams that might not have helped them grow. We can disagree.

However, I would like to know more about your opinion about the objective of the VMSL. Would you care to expand? For what type of players is the VMSL for?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL / FVSL / VISL / PCSL are not leagues for beginners. If you do not know how to play the game, these leagues are not the place for you. That is my point. Where is Friends United these days, are they still in the VMSL?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The CAT system is garbage. ... CAT always seemed like a place for the fringe Prem players to play in.

I always wondered why "the fringe Prem players" opted to be a part of a club in which they could not crack the line up of a Premier team? Aren't there other Premier league teams where they could be a part of a Premier team roster? If not Premier then Division 1 teams. Am I not correct?

I know a lot of young players who won (while playing youth) everything that was possible to win (for one club). For whatever reason they were not included in a regular Premier league team (for the same club) so they moved.
They play for other clubs/teams now (Premier league, Division 1, whatever) - good for them! Why wait and be that fringe player (whatever the reason) when there are so many other options.
This is amateur league so why waste time with a "big club and/or team" when you hardly get any minutes there? Move on; other clubs/teams will most likely give you a chance TO PLAY regularly! Isn't that what everyone should be hoping for in an amateur league/club/team when you are a young person?

On the other hand it is hard to come to a definite conclusion how VMSL can organize a competition under its umbrella to keep at least some sense of a healthy promotion/relegation system. Having 2 or even possibly 3 teams from one club in the same league does not make any sense to me because those 2 (or 3) teams can make all kind of deals between themselves that would affect other teams in the same league.

Why would such a rule (about only one team from each club) exist only for Premier league (and not for other leagues)? Does not make a lot of sense.
Why would be Rino's Division 1 team be prevented to play in Premier league (if they would win Div 1) because there is another Rino's team playing there (if Tigers would stay in Premier) while, on the other hand, the same two teams would be allowed to play in the same Division 1 (if Tigers get relegated). Should not there be some consistency within those rules and regulations? They seem archaic now and should be changed (one way or another).

Last edited:

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL / FVSL / VISL / PCSL are not leagues for beginners. If you do not know how to play the game, these leagues are not the place for you. That is my point. Where is Friends United these days, are they still in the VMSL?

@Regs ...remember Dexterity FC?:D....rumour had it that there keeper was cardboard cutout of David Hasseloff..:rolleyes:

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs, I am not trying to be argumentative here. I agree that those leagues should not be for beginners. However, having said this, from Division 3 to Division 1 most players could be learning/improving (developing) a lot, regardless of their age. Players in the VMSL might not seem beginners by local eyes, but by other standards they still need to learn a lot. For example, hardly any player below premier can turn with the ball, has a smooth and clean first touch, or know the tactical difference between a back line of four or back line of three.

In summary, the point is that regardless of the age (young or older) and the perceived level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) there is room for the player to improve and enjoy and understand the game more, and the CAT system can help IF (A BIG IF) used appropriately.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I loved Friends United
As Mr Base says he would pay to play against them
Please bring them back

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I always wondered why "the fringe Prem players" opted to be a part of a club in which they could not crack the line up of a Premier team? Aren't there other Premier league teams where they could be a part of a Premier team roster? If not Premier then Division 1 teams. Am I not correct?

There's many different answers for this and are different from player to player. For me at the time, I played in Div2 and Div1 and Prem was a new challenge so I stuck it out. Having coming from Northern BC and skipping the college/uni route...you start from the bottom up. But lets not get away from the fact that the current CAT system is garbagio...for most.

Daft_Hunka

Dec 17, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Talent with any sort of brains will never step foot in CAT, simple as that. I would even go on to suggest that development is hindered in this system and the misused talent pools of several premier clubs and others should just un-tether these guys to place elsewhere lol

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leaving, the CAT discussion aside, here are the computed rankings for division 1. Last week, it got all the games with the exception of one.
13 DIV 1 1609 ICSF Columbus A
14 DIV 1 1575 FC Romania
15 DIV 1 1568 Guildford FC A
16 DIV 1 1550 Binger's Army
17 DIV 1 1529 Westside FC A
18 DIV 1 1509 NDFC Olympics A
19 DIV 1 1500 Metropolitan A
20 DIV 1 1480 Akal FC
21 DIV 1 1431 SDFC Royals A
22 DIV 1 1428 Shaheen FC A
23 DIV 1 1422 Sarajevo FC A
24 DIV 1 1420 Rino's Vanc SC