Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Solidarity Forever!

To Cross or Not to Cross. That is the Question

• Teachers have the right to cross "illegal" pickets.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Illegal or not, picket lines should not be crossed. Ever.

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Are these ****ing polls going to help pay for my lost wages? :mad: I'm sure the other 10% who voted no are thinking the same thing.

Captain, I'm sure that the other 90% who voted yes aren't happy about the lost wages either.

I'm getting kicked in the teeth, too.

More worrisome to me than the lost wages, however, is the griping I'm hearing on the picket line---from people who voted "yes."

People are already talking about "How much longer is this going to go?" and there is talk from some that if there is not a general strike by this Friday, they'll be crossing on Monday. This, after THREE fukcing days of picketing!

When I voted yes, I meant it, and was willing to sacrifice my pay cheque for as long as it took. I still am, but I don't feel a whole lot of similar support around me. It's a been a real eye opener seeing who is really with you when times get tough.

Hopefully the mood is different elsewhere. Somebody, please tell me so!

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The thing that gets me Dial...are the teachers that voted yes, and are not out there on the picket line. You know...the ones that have gone and gotten other jobs to make money while others walk the picket line.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The teachers CANNOT cave on this. They have the support of the majority of the province. They need to stick with it until they get a negotiated settlement. If they don't, the Libs will assume it can be done to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

If there is a general strike, where can I pick up my sign?

Yours in solidarity,

TR

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
The teachers CANNOT cave on this. They have the support of the majority of the province. They need to stick with it until they get a negotiated settlement. If they don't, the Libs will assume it can be done to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Yours in solidarity,

TR

Damn Commie!!!

:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
Captain, I'm sure that the other 90% who voted yes aren't happy about the lost wages either.

I'm getting kicked in the teeth, too.

More worrisome to me than the lost wages, however, is the griping I'm hearing on the picket line---from people who voted "yes."

People are already talking about "How much longer is this going to go?" and there is talk from some that if there is not a general strike by this Friday, they'll be crossing on Monday. This, after THREE fukcing days of picketing!

When I voted yes, I meant it, and was willing to sacrifice my pay cheque for as long as it took. I still am, but I don't feel a whole lot of similar support around me. It's a been a real eye opener seeing who is really with you when times get tough.

Hopefully the mood is different elsewhere. Somebody, please tell me so!

Dial911,

That isn't just in your area. I have heard the same here. A lot of these teachers live in Fantasy Land. I can hear the conversation now..

"Yah, we will just be off for a few days, not lose too much money, and we should have a decent contract by the end of the week. "

Nice one. Most of these people didn't think it would get to this point, as October 24th was the original deadline for something to happen BEFORE going on strike. Even at that point, it was supposed to be rotating strikes around the districts OR once a week. I'm guessing most of the teachers who voted 'YES' were thinking this way. They were 'hoping' they would be forced back to work, so they wouldn't miss much money and still managed to show that they 'cared' for the union. Maybe I'm being harsh here, but I believe the majority of the 'Yes' TRULY believed this. Dial's comments about the teachers where he is picketing unfortunately proves a lot of this.

I will continue to avoid the picket line and hope to God that this is resolved by early next week. By this week, we will have lost 3% of our pay for the year. Ouch.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Argyle said:
The thing that gets me Dial...are the teachers that voted yes, and are not out there on the picket line. You know...the ones that have gone and gotten other jobs to make money while others walk the picket line.

Spot on, Argyle. I know of a few who are doing this.....Solidarity Forever - or when it is convenient.........

Tiocfaidh Ar La

P.S. Anyone interested in a gobble?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:

Yours in solidarity,

TR

TRob,

Why don't you just decline your next few pay cheques? That will show solidarity, m8. Or you can send them my way? Whatever works, let me know.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, did anyone hear on the news last night that only 52% of teachers voted on the latest strike vote? Someone past that on to me last night?

If so, shame on the other 48%. A lot of them are probably working elsewhere as Argyle mentioned. :mad:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correct me if I'm wrong (I have been wrong, once before), but wasn't this recent "poll" of the labor force in BC conducted only amongst unionized members? Of course the results will be skewed in favor of the teachers...many are your typical "solidarity forever" lunch bucket union guy who may or may not have kids to worry about. Many of the votes would be irrelevant.

A more accurate and honest poll would have been to get the opinions of every PTA member across the Province. You'd see far different results, most likely showing the majority of parents are not in favor of the teacher's walk-out. I wish the union would stop trying to sell bullshit to the public.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong..

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel for you in that aspect Captain, but what you guys are doing is right. There will no doubt be financial hardships along the way. I have a great deal of respect for you guys standing up for what you believe in, and as I said earlier, if there is a general strike, or if my union decides to go off in support of you, where do I pick up my sign?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I have been wrong, once before), but wasn't this recent "poll" of the labor force in BC conducted only amongst unionized members? Of course the results will be skewed in favor of the teachers...many are your typical "solidarity forever" lunch bucket union guy who may or may not have kids to worry about. Many of the votes would be irrelevant.

A more accurate and honest poll would have been to get the opinions of every PTA member across the Province. You'd see far different results, most likely showing the majority of parents are not in favor of the teacher's walk-out. I wish the union would stop trying to sell bullshit to the public.

Totally agree, Dude.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
I feel for you in that aspect Captain, but what you guys are doing is right. There will no doubt be financial hardships along the way. I have a great deal of respect for you guys standing up for what you believe in, and as I said earlier, if there is a general strike, or if my union decides to go off in support of you, where do I pick up my sign?

I'm not sure, theRob. I'm still looking for my sign................

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob,

Would this be like the last time you...or, erm, an anonymous buddy of mine :rolleyes: participated in a general strike, but then called me at 9:30 in the morning to see if I could skip out of work to go mountain biking? You see, my buddy went to the front line, then was send home after an hour or so of "supporting their union brethren". On top of this, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, I have been wrong before, once) my buddy was paid a full day of strike pay.

Alas, I couldn't just skip out and go riding, as there was just too much work to be done, and besides, when I take a day off, I don't get paid. So, this story doesn't really have a happy ending. :(

But, back to the teachers...

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Of course the results will be skewed in favor of the teachers...many are your typical "solidarity forever" lunch bucket union guy who may or may not have kids to worry about. Many of the votes would be irrelevant.

Don't mind if I do.

Where are your facts backing this statement?

Just more bullshit generalizations from Dude-king-of-the-bullshit-generalization. Go ahead and use it as your sig-line, you know you want to.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

Your buddy wasn't paid a full day of strike pay. We did not get paid for that day. Our union leaders(God bless them)told us to go home, and watch the news to see if we were working the next day or not. Had they told us to go shut down a city pool or city hall, we would have gone. It was a glorious day at the woodlot. I can understand why you are still bitter.

Are you saying that union members aren't parents? And aren't members of PTA's?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Don't mind if I do.

Where are your facts backing this statement?

Just more bullshit generalizations from Dude-king-of-the-bullshit-generalization. Go ahead and use it as your sig-line, you know you want to.

Do not. :rolleyes:

Only from what I heard and interpreted on news media. Paraphrasing: "In a poll of the BC workforce..."

Show me hard evidence to the contrary, and this will be the second time I've been wrong.

BTW, who here actually got a chance to vote in this poll? It missed me, but then, I'm not a union guy, as management takes a pretty hard stance against that sort of thing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I'm saying, AB, is that roughly 100% of PTA members are, erm, parents. A number somewhat less than 100% of PTA members are non-unionized, and a number somewhat less than 100% of union people are not parents.

And, to answer your next question, 2 + 2 = 4.

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
teachers want smaller and/or cap on class sizes... How the fcuk are they goin to achieve this. Fact, 2 new elementary schools were built in my area within 3 kms of each other. The area is a fairly new about 7 years old and same for the two newer schools. Built by NDP=union govt of the past. Both the elementary schools are now overcrowded and one has portables. The construction boom is still strong and many new houses were built in the last few years. A 10 year development plan for the area existed from inception, so why the fcuk couldnt the union dominated govt of the past build the schools larger knowing that they would 'nt be suitable for the area... or did part of the new school construction fund go to the fast ferry budget.

The fcuking Liberals are doing nothing about this or at least I havent heard or read anything about another new school for the area.

Back to the teachers...

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm guessing most of the teachers who voted 'YES' were thinking this way. They were 'hoping' they would be forced back to work, so they wouldn't miss much money and still managed to show that they 'cared' for the union.
I disagree. While there must certainly be a section of the teacher population that feels this way, most of the teachers I work with believe this may be a lengthy battle. One worth fighting.

I will continue to avoid the picket line and hope to God that this is resolved by early next week. By this week, we will have lost 3% of our pay for the year. Ouch.

Capt.,

I respect you for many reasons, not the least of which being your obvious dedication to teaching, and the students. I do however, find this comment and your voiced sentiments to be quite disappointing.

Do you think that you are the only teacher who puts in extra hours? Many of us do, and have done so since we started. These same teachers now walk the picket line in defiance of the Liberal government, and it's decision to shove another un-bargained contract down our throats. I am the first to agree, that the union has made some poor choices in the past, and has not represented us as well as we would like. However, do you think it is possible to lead a group of over 40 000, critical & independent thinking teachers without having at least some degree of dissatisfaction among the group?! It seems to me, that this is not the time to take a stand against the union. This is the time to stand amongst colleagues and show unity, despite the many differences between us. I find it surprising that someone who obviously has an amazing sense of what it means to be part of a successful team, can choose to undermine the concept when its needed most.

Respectfully,

~Skip

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skip said:
I disagree. While there must certainly be a section of the teacher population that feels this way, most of the teachers I work with believe this may be a lengthy battle. One worth fighting.

Capt.,

I respect you for many reasons, not the least of which being your obvious dedication to teaching, and the students. I do however, find this comment and your voiced sentiments to be quite disappointing.

Do you think that you are the only teacher who puts in extra hours? Many of us do, and have done so since we started. These same teachers now walk the picket line in defiance of the Liberal government, and it's decision to shove another un-bargained contract down our throats. I am the first to agree, that the union has made some poor choices in the past, and has not represented us as well as we would like. However, do you think it is possible to lead a group of over 40 000, critical & independent thinking teachers without having at least some degree of dissatisfaction among the group?! It seems to me, that this is not the time to take a stand against the union. This is the time to stand amongst colleagues and show unity, despite the many differences between us. I find it surprising that someone who obviously has an amazing sense of what it means to be part of a successful team, can choose to undermine the concept when its needed most.

Respectfully,

~Skip

Not at all, Skip. I totally appreciate the time that many teachers, like yourself, put into the profession. What gets me the most, at least in the school I'm at now, is that the teachers who do the least are asking for the most. Honestly, Skip, it just becomes tiresome. That is why I believe that the union now, more than ever, caters to the teachers who do the least. I have never ONCE claimed that I'm the only teacher to put in extra hours. As mentioned, I know A LOT of teachers who do, not necessarily at our school.

As for the standing together comment, I am. I'm not crossing the picket line. Once that happens, then I wouldn't be standing together with my colleagues. This union lost my voted over 4 years ago when they proposed a 35% increase over 3 years. From that point on, we have become somewhat of a laughing stock in the work force. The problem now, Skip, is that our union has NO ESCAPE PLAN from the current action. They haven't thought this thing through enough and we'll see how they react tomorrow to the 'punishments'. I have lost faith in the union and I can't change that unfortunately, at this time. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wish all my colleagues the best on the picket lines, and hope they won't be there much longer, assuming some kind of agreement has been reached.

Sincerely,

Captain Shamrock

BTW, Skip, if the teachers go back and decide that a 'Work to Rule' is the only way to go, would you choose that route, if you had a choice? In Ontario, they apparently did it for 4 years before a contract was hammered out.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0