Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Solidarity Forever!

To Cross or Not to Cross. That is the Question

• Teachers have the right to cross "illegal" pickets.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Illegal or not, picket lines should not be crossed. Ever.

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
Anyone hear De Jong and Sims on NW with John Mccomb?

Mccomb kept asking De Jong if class sizes would be written into the school act while De Jong contnuously tip toed around the answer. Mccomb kept cornering him and said, "Mike...it's a "yes" or "no" answer. Yes or No?"

De jong then went on a verbal rant. Two words he did not use were "yes" or "no."

After the interview, the government was furious and told NW that they expected a written explanation of why the interview transpired the way it did. Yes, the Liberals wanted it in writing...can you see the irony?

They also noted to NW that their Ministers would not be available to comment for NW reporters or talk show hosts for an indefinite period. Mccomb was in compete disbelief.

Welcome to the world of the Liberals, Mr. Mccomb. I wonder if you still believe that the Liberals will do as they say.

Think I'll be voting "no" tomorrow, and it's not because I think Keeper isn't worth $190 per day.

I'm guessing you're voting NO because the teachers have basically been told to bend over. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the reasons for the quick action by the union Bill 12? Has that been dealt with? :confused: There is no pay increase, class size still hasn't been dealt with, and now the BCTF has more influence in the 'round table'? If I didn't agree with strikes, I might even vote 'No' this time but that would be the wrong thing to do...........

In the end, the teachers have taken a monetary beating. I can't imagine too many REALLY being happy with these recommendations, despite a couple on television who said......"We ARE the BCTF so no I don't think we've been let down" OR "I think the government bowed down to our demands." :confused

Here's hoping to get back to TEACHING on Monday...........

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
That won't last long. Snubbing NW would be political suicide. McComb has always been a good interviewer.

Dude, Dude, Dude.

Being the "free market" man that you are, I thought that maybe you'd be able to figure this one out.

All the suits that run NW...what political party do you think they support?

Do you think the corporate community that pays so much to NW for advertising and such and are supporters and, more importantly, financial backers of the Campbell's government would be supportive if NW made a huge issue of the government's response to the De Jong interview?

I've been listening to NW on and off the whole day and I have YET to hear them discuss this. You'd think it would be a pretty interesting story, no? You'd think it would raise some discussion, no?

You talk of political suicide. I talk of corporate suicide.

Here's the letter I just sent to David Berner...

David,
I'm curious why your radio station has not commented more on the government's statement that they would not speak to CKNW for an indefinite period due to their dissatisfaction with John Mccomb's questioning of Mike De Jong last night. In fact, I am stunned that CKNW and its many opinionated hosts have nothing to say in response to the government's request that a written explanation be given for John Mccomb literally having to beg Mr. De Jong for a simple "yes" or "no" answer to his question. Have "the greater powers that be" ordered this topic "disappear" from the radio waves?

Although most people agreed with what the teachers were fighting for, the argument that "this is an illegal strike" is all that others had to hear to sway them on the side of the government.

I was going to ask you and other radio hosts what you would do if the government passed legislation stating that radio hosts and journalists could not speak negatively or question the government. Would you abide by this "law" or would you, too, break a law that you felt was unjust?

No need to answer my question. With CKNW's "maybe if we don't talk about it no one will notice" attitude towards the Mike De Jong/ John Mccomb incident, I now know the answer.

You can reply to my e-mail on air or maybe whoever it is that is pulling your strings can manoeuvre you to type a response.

Dial 9-1-1

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skip/Aves,

Is it true that the Surrey Teachers Association has instructed/informed the members to vote NO? I heard that but I had a hard time believing that people are being told what to vote. I also heard that the BCTF has instructed/informed people to vote YES??????I hope these are just unsubstantiated rumours because it would be horrible to know that an individual couldn't make a vote based on their OWN choice? :confused:

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Skip/Aves,

Is it true that the Surrey Teachers Association has instructed/informed the members to vote NO? I heard that but I had a hard time believing that people are being told what to vote. I also heard that the BCTF has instructed/informed people to vote YES??????I hope these are just unsubstantiated rumours because it would be horrible to know that an individual couldn't make a vote based on their OWN choice? :confused:

I don't think they've been instructed to Captain, but I think they have been recommended. I believe Vancouver has made the same "no" recommendation. They vote tomorrow.

In North Van, we were told to vote on "what you believe is right." The NVTA would not recommend a "yes" or "no" answer.

An overwhelming "yes" or "no" vote would be best for the next step---whatever that may be--whether that means going back on the picket line or going back to work.

If it's a close vote, I'm hoping that it is a close "yes" vote. People who voted "no" would at least be appeased by the regular paycheque.

A close "no" vote would really pit people against each other and do more harm than good, I'm afraid.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was think exactly the same thing, Dial. BTW........

In North Van, we were told to vote on what you believe is right. The NVTA would not recommend a "yes" or "no" answer.

This is the way it should be. No other way is acceptable.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can_Head_A_Ball said:
Just as an FYI - Jinny Simms showed up to the Burnaby meeting and recommended that we vote "yes".
Funny. That's not what they showed on the news. Global broadcast her telling the Burnaby crowd to vote by their own opinion.

I went back into the NW audio vault and found that McComb interview. Shocking result!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can_Head_A_Ball said:
Just as an FYI - Jinny Simms showed up to the Burnaby meeting and recommended that we vote "yes".

Of course she will say that because there would be no other 'plan' in place. I have a feeling it will be a very close vote...favoring 'Yes'...just a hunch......

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mike De Jong is a hot head...not surprised he'd pull this card.

Again Dial, in an election, the Libs cannot afford not to have full coverage from NW. Dumb decision on the Lib's part, has De Jong's prints all over it.. Don't see NW backing down, and going against one of their established on-air personalities.

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
dial 911,
good insight on the lack of discussion om NW...I haven't really been listening, but it is the weekend...although I didn't see anything in the Vancouver Sun today which makes one wonder about your conspiracy theory. :rolleyes:

Captain,
There was a leaflet outlining why the STA exec recommended no at the meeting today and there was an even split in the banter at Clayton school in CLoverdale (apparently... I just showed up at voting time.)
Basically it stated we didn't achieve anything in closure terms. But to expect closure on these issues right now is not realistic and that's why most will vote yes. It's a ballsy move on the exec because I would think if they want to get re-elected they might consider the political fall out. But they'll go down in honour with the sinking ship I guess. :confused:

Like I said before, the point has been raised and its time for the public to help influence policy.

Time for us to get on with it.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves said:
dial 911,
good insight on the lack of discussion om NW...I haven't really been listening, but it is the weekend...although I didn't see anything in the Vancouver Sun today which makes one wonder about your conspiracy theory. :rolleyes:

I got a response from David Berner via e-mail. I guess it's only fair to give his side of the story. I've only deleted some of #4 since he may not have wanted what I deleted posted in a public forum.

David Berner said:
I am sorry that you have jumped to conclusions based on so little real information.
1. I was away all week and didn't learn about the McComb/Gov't story until an e-mail came through at 3:30 this afternoon while I was on air.
2. I immediately called John's producer into the studio and asked him for the complete lowdown.
3. I was quickly satisfied that some feathers were ruffled on John, from John, on the gov'ts handlers, from the gov'ts handlers and apologies were offered from both sides and the whole thing was a vey short-lived tempest in a teapot. Net result: no gov't guests will be withheld from John's shows or any other on NW. It wasn't a big deal and it wasn't and isn't newsworthy. The story is the teacher's strike, period.
4. ...in 13 years I have NEVER BEEN TOLD WHAT TO SAY OR WHAT NOT TO SAY by anyone. In other words, I don't have anyone pulling my strings.

It must be unpleasant going through life expecting the worst of people and concluding, without evidence, that plots abound in the realm.

The next time you would like a response from someone you might try encouraging it without silly posing insults.

Be well,

David

I've since replied to him:

David,
Thank you for your response.

I think it's unfortunate that this story was not covered because it truly depicts what and whom the teachers have been up against.

This story had some great potential and I'm sure it could have raised some better discussion than listening to callers tell us about their woks.
Come to think of it, didn't your wok caller also tell us that Mrs. Sims was getting paid while teachers were not? I can't recall you telling her that "it must be unpleasant going through life expecting the worst of people...without evidence."

In fairness, you knew nothing about this "tempest in a teapot," but for this to be completely swept under the rug was/is suspicious.

Moreover, there's nothing wrong with assuming that plots abound in the realm. I hear that Oliver Stone has made a lot of money thinking this way.

Regards...

P.S. Since you are not a puppet, maybe now you can answer my question: What you would do if the government passed legislation stating that radio hosts and journalists could not speak negatively or question the government. Would you abide by this "law" or would you, too, break a law that you felt was unjust?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What would a "no" vote from the teachers today do to the planned General Strike that was to start tomorrow?

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally Posted by Captain Shamrock
Skip/Aves,

Is it true that the Surrey Teachers Association has instructed/informed the members to vote NO? I heard that but I had a hard time believing that people are being told what to vote. I also heard that the BCTF has instructed/informed people to vote YES??????I hope these are just unsubstantiated rumours because it would be horrible to know that an individual couldn't make a vote based on their OWN choice?

Quote:
In North Van, we were told to vote on what you believe is right. The NVTA would not recommend a "yes" or "no" answer.

This is the way it should be. No other way is acceptable

Captain,
Based on the above statements could one safely assume that you are totally against people being told how to vote or even forced to vote in a certain situation?
Billy Boy :D

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Nine, fanny baws. Thanks for asking. I was born anti-unionist and anti-billy boys. **** off.

Oh by the way Captain I forgot to applaud you. It must have been very difficult for you to leave Ireland when obviously you were so passionately entrenched in "the cause" at the ripe old age of 9. :confused:

Billy Boy

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Billy boy said:
Oh by the way Captain I forgot to applaud you. It must have been very difficult for you to leave Ireland when obviously you were so passionately entrenched in "the cause" at the ripe old age of 9. :confused:

Billy Boy

Thanks for the applause, Billy Boy. It is much appreciated. As for the 'cause', you'll never know, Billy Boy, so save yourself the hassle of embarrassing yourself more.

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Billy boy said:
Skip/Aves,

Is it true that the Surrey Teachers Association has instructed/informed the members to vote NO? I heard that but I had a hard time believing that people are being told what to vote. I also heard that the BCTF has instructed/informed people to vote YES??????I hope these are just unsubstantiated rumours because it would be horrible to know that an individual couldn't make a vote based on their OWN choice?

Quote:

This is the way it should be. No other way is acceptable

Captain,
Based on the above statements could one safely assume that you are totally against people being told how to vote or even forced to vote in a certain situation?
Billy Boy :D

Yes or no Captain?? :)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Billy boy said:
Yes or no Captain?? :)

I thought that would be obvious, even to you.

As for today at school, Willis was a complete professional and it was appreciated, despite our differences over the last few weeks. Some teachers choose to ignore, look the other way......you know the general eight year-old approach, but hey, they're just expressing themselves. Time to move on. BTW, Willis, you sure benefitted from the recommendations A LOT more than I did, so I can see why you were cordial today. :D ;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0