Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Men's Open 2008 - Predictions, Results & Banter

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I said we would be heading over there in a couple of hours......I didn't put a time on anything for good reason. BTW, I've just been shut down again. :mad:

lookaturself13

Mar 6, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hampton Turf has 4 change rooms with showers at the field and beer in the concession only a few feet from the field...so beer will be nice and cold and nearby after the game.
It is one of the best places to play in Victoria.....drove by RAP and it always looks good BUT once the players get out on it for warmup they see the bumpy, hard, and uneven grass all over the place. Really takes the excitement out of the game when you have to take 2 touches just to control the ball. The Inter/Gorge game was extremely fast and super exciting for the fans and players. I expect UBC/Gorge to be the same.
Let's be honest...no matter what... people complain and whine.... whether about the field, time of game, ref/linesmen assigned, fans, and venue.... so this is really minor.
As far as Gorge having all Vic United players.... Only 3 of them played with Victoria United last summer.
Should be great games....hope the weather is nice.
Good luck to all four teams.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get over it.........turf fields are better than shite grass fields and there are far too many shite grass fields out there. It's very rare that a team has an advantage on turf anymore........home teams who have grass fields actually have more of an advantage now.

I agree that there are too many shite grass fields out there and that turf is better than most of the fields out there, but more of my beef is that the semis with Vancouver teams in them are in Victoria. Last year, both the mens and womens finals were scheduled for the Island. But on the women's side Gorge didn't have to travel to Vancouver to play their semi, they got to beat UBC/Pegasus FC at home. I can't remember the men's draw but I'm sure that Island teams who were scheduled to be the home team didn't have to travel to Vancouver for a semifinal. How about a little consistency from year to year. This year, both teams listed as home in the women's draw are Vancouver teams but have to go to the Island and poor Westside is travelling to the Island 3 weekends in a row. Plus if the semis were scheduled the way it laid out as per the draw, the women's semi between the two Surrey teams would be played on a great grass pitch in front of lots of fans. Instead it will be on turf with maybe 10 people there. What a great way to promote the game. :rolleyes:

Okay that's the end of my moan. I've created a thread for the women's draw if anyone's interested.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Megs, last year all Men's provincial cups semis were played at Cloverdale, regardless of participants. (Open, O-35 and U21)

BCSA have put a 3-year rotation in effect that is as follows:

Year 1: Semis hosted by Van, Finals hosted by Island
Year 2: Semis hosted by Island, Finals hosted by Valley
Year 3: Semis hosted by Valley, Finals hosted by Van

Not sure why women's didn't fall in line last year, but it appears they're part of the rotation this year.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Megs, last year all Men's provincial cups semis were played at Cloverdale, regardless of participants. (Open, O-35 and U21)"

Just curious isn't Cloverdale considered in the valley? At least that's how it play's out on the weather channel!:D

[CODE"Year 1: Semis hosted by Van, Finals hosted by Island
Year 3: Semis hosted by Valley, Finals hosted by Van]"[/CODE]

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Megs, last year all Men's provincial cups semis were played at Cloverdale, regardless of participants. (Open, O-35 and U21)"

Just curious isn't Cloverdale considered in the valley? At least that's how it play's out on the weather channel!:D

[CODE"Year 1: Semis hosted by Van, Finals hosted by Island
Year 3: Semis hosted by Valley, Finals hosted by Van]"[/CODE]

Cloverdale was booked BY the Valley for the games. That's why they were on turf and why kids in Venezuela use rolled up plastic bags for balls. Obviously.

I see Gorge winning 2-0 and just to feed into the propaganda, Peace What??, everyone thinks we're bush machine, Sporting 1-0 over PAU.

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cloverdale was booked BY the Valley for the games.

Ok all this talk about turf or grass is just so stupid, in the valley 5 premier teams have turf for there home games, i think you train on turf so you must be used to turf by now. As for THE VALLEY booking turf field we would of loved to book grass fields but try doing that in spring.

PAU just relax go play the game, See you on the ferry lads

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sporting 3 vs PAU 1
UBC 1 vs Gorge 2 OT

Most of you missed the point in that as Dezza pointed out earlier, the semi's and final's are on a 3 year rotation. Last year was year 1 in which Vancouver was supposed to host the semi's in which case the valley ended up hosting them! This is year 2 for the rotation right? :confused:

Year 1: Semis hosted by Van, Finals hosted by Island
Year 3: Semis hosted by Valley, Finals hosted by Van

"As for THE VALLEY booking turf field we would of loved to book grass fields but try doing that in spring."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This rotation has been used for years, I don't know why it is such a surprise for many other than perhaps some of them have never gotten this far in the BCs...

:D

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
posted by:Regs
perhaps some of them have never gotten this far in the BCs...

You're right, unless some of the UBC lads played in the Valley for youth? :rolleyes:

The trip to Victoria to play a VMSL team is great. The 3pm game on a Saturday = ROAD TRIP! (win or lose). :cool:

Obviously, some guys are takingthepiss when it comes to turf and grass. Given the choice, I'd take a good grass pitch everytime, however that isn't very easily done this time of year. I am just happy to play all home games on grass and train on the turf. If you're good enough to make the semi's, you should be able to adapt without excusses (too bad I'm not good enough). ;)

Personally this is my 3rd time in the semi's, so it would be nice to finally make it to the dance!

Secretly~Regs&KNVBarePAUfans!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor, you are right Cloverdale is part of the Valley. So, perhaps we should send SU back to the Valley league? :p
I don't know why the games got scheduled out there last year, but perhaps it had to do with a lack of suitable facilities in Vancouver proper? Are the posts still up at Hastings at this time of year?

As for the semi's...
Sporting over PAU
Gorge over UBC

My take on UBC: Young, fit, and well organized. They are solid in the back and through the midfield, but lack firepower up front.

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe it has to do with the coaching, all the great soccer minds seem to be in Alberta.

The fitness could be a factor also, while we were all out walking pets or the kids on the weekend, you guys were getting full on cardio, shovelling sidewalks.

Hahahaha true but i guess we are fit cause 2 of our players just signed in scotland Div.1

joe

May 9, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our Gorge Facility has it all . A fully licensed bar ,concession , fans right on top of the action and of course the best turf field in BC ...many of the inter players commented on its quality. We overdid the rubber and sand fill to get as close to grass as possible. Yes I too agree a great grass field is the best but come on we are in April... they do not hold up!!! Looking forward to a great weekend hosting the always great teams from ancouver. Victoria fans are in for a treat!!!

Gorge Prez

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0