Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nucks vs Boston - 2011 Stanley Cup Final

Stanley Cup 2011 Final - who'll win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Remember it's a new disciplinarian so can't go by Campbell's previous ones. I'm glad they are sending a message and I'm not gonna cry foul because it's on our team. Hopefully this carries over when Shanahan takes over next year and is applied to star players as well.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anything, it gives a bit of a counter for the Canucks to rally around.

Game 4 prediction: 3-2 Nucks in OT :D

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Remember it's a new disciplinarian so can't go by Campbell's previous ones. I'm glad they are sending a message and I'm not gonna cry foul because it's on our team. Hopefully this carries over when Shanahan takes over next year and is applied to star players as well.

I'd have no issue with the suspension if that is going to be the case. If four gamers are the new minimum, that's finally a step in the right direction if they want to get guys thinking before the plater someone into the boards from behind again. Wait and see at this point now.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the NHL keeps making itself look bad with Brian Burke consulting on the Rome/Horton situation. Burke says his discussion with Mike Murphy was entirely procedural. He was not asked for opinion on Rome hit. Either way, how does it not scream conflict of interest when it's regarding the team that fired you?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
-The Shoulder hits the chest then the head, the head keeps moving on the neck into the shoulder. Rewatch it.
- I have been concussed a few times playing hockey, once badly- had a 1.5-2 month hiatus from the game and lost my spot playing Junior hockey because of it(I was told a different story, but we all know politics)
- Mike Murphy was just on the team 1040, he said that it wasn't blind side or a head shot and that it was a legal hit if it was executed a touch quicker.

and 4 games...

The problem overall is that this sort of stuff wouldn't be a frequent thing in the NHL or all hockey for that matter if the rules were enforced consistently... sadly what we have is players going through the entire first period of most games tentatively feeling out the rules and where the line is game to game. If a penalty is a penalty then these things will happen, but less frequently imho.

I truly really hope Horton gets well quick, although he fully deserved everything he got for admiring his pass/having his head up his ass.

It's sad when players making plays in the game are suffering suspensions now because of the carelessness of their competitors, one just needs to see Bobby Ryan's tweets on the matter.

Do you think Aaron Rome meant to take his head off?! No, he meant to make a hard clean check on a player. Aaron Rome is an honest utility dman, plays a simple game and nobody wants to see anyone injured out there like that.

This incident/injury is not Romes fault, it's 100% Hortons fault. Horton was in a line and put himself there in traffic where one expects contact, to have your head up your ass is inexcusable.

Why is the NHL suspending players infractions based on the outcome and not the foul?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
im a firm believer that the nhl wants nothing to do with a canadian team winning the cup. all we are is a marketable business (the best) but not enough to support this dying league in the states. Canada team wins, states loses interest and the market goes down. Its far fetched but it really does seem to be that way. The refs and league can beat us, but so far for the canucks other teams can't. Lets finish these fcukers boys.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
This incident/injury is not Romes fault, it's 100% Hortons fault. Horton was in a line and put himself there in traffic where one expects contact, to have your head up your ass is inexcusable. Why is the NHL suspending players infractions based on the outcome and not the foul?

I disagree that it's 100% Horton's fault, Rome was late and has to shoulder some blame, so I aim for the fairer 50/50 judgement ;) I'm just mad the NHL decided to suspend based on injury in the SCF when they haven't done it before.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@ Cascadesoccer: tinfoil hats don't look good on anyone. There's no conspiracy afoot
@ Stall: If his head's up he doesn't get rickrolled, he likely avoids the hit or they have a collision...again: Rome is trying to make a HARD hit.play on the player- finishing his check. Rome is NOT trying to kill the guy, he is not Matt Cooke/Raffi Torres/etc, there's no pattern or history here, he's not a repeat offender, and he's known by many to be a respected honest hard working grinding utility dman. I haven't ever seen Rome look like he's trying to hurt, although (as much as I love the guy becuase he's a Nuck) Raffi Torres always looks like he is trying to decapitate the other player in his hits.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN you just wrote that Murphy said if it was right away it is clean. Fair enough I don't like headshots but I agree. But it was late. I'm tired of the head up crap argument. The hit was late and unnecessary. Again had it been right away and not 3-4 strides later you could say keep the head up.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
-The Shoulder hits the chest then the head, the head keeps moving on the neck into the shoulder. Rewatch it.
So what? He still hits the head. The order of the impact doesn't matter FFS.

he fully deserved everything he got
Wow. That's brutal JBN. No-one deserves to be prone on the ice for turning their head to the left. He's got a family that were watching this game and had to see that. Did they deserve it too? Brutal.

This incident/injury is not Romes fault, it's 100% Hortons fault.
Good God. I'll admit to be a Canuck supporter through and through, but to see this incident as being 100% Horton's fault is beyond even Larscheid Homerism. How can you honestly believe this?

I will say that 4 games seems a little strong given the circumstances and if Horton had bounce up and kept playing Rome may have gotten 2 minutes for the hit because it was late. But injuries have to play a part. There's really no other choice.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
termatofylakas, I'll take the bait: obviously you HAVEN'T played the game...at least not at any level where the game is moving that fast and with contact.

Put yourself in Romes shoes: You're on the blue line, Horton makes a pass, he's in your lane, you decide you have him lined up(to be honest there's no deciding happening- this sort of stuff is what players are referring to when they say "timing" etc when commenting on coming back from a layoff or injury- it's all feel and instinct). You plant your strongest leg's edge and make a pivot from backwards skating to forwards skating, take one stride and lower the boom. It's not his responsibility to see if Horton is looking or not, and if he does ease up he puts himself in trouble to be hurt and he puts himself in a position to actually take a really late hit/contact on the player. If Rome doesn't make that sort of hit or attempt to finish his check he rots in the pressbox. I know because I've been the guy fighting for minutes, and I've been the guy deciding on whether or not Player A is going to make the team over Player B. Playing Rep AAA Hockey throughout my teenage life and Junior hockey as well as coaching Peewee, Bantam and Midget AAA in both Surrey and North Delta Minor Hockey.

I thought PJ Stock and Kelly Hrudey said it best- it was a hockey play, early(ish) in a game on the road, and a hit like that without the consequences of a concussion or knocked out Horton takes the crowd out of the game...

And late is late I guess, He wasn't that late imho. It looks a lot later than it really is due to the play moving east/west with Horton going north and Rome coming south. You can't get "One Mississippi" out of your mouth from release of puck till contact is made. Horton makes the pass, takes one stride and starts to glide, then boom. It wasn't a charge, he doesn't leave his feet till after contact is made, he doesn't "chicken wing" his elbow and the majority of the contact is on the chest and the momentum carries his head into the hit.

This isn't a classic case, this isn't Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke launching themself into a hit to maim. This isn't a "dirty" play. If it's at all "dirty," it's a perception based solely on the play being a touch late(debatable for some) and the outcome (Horton's egg being broken)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Monkey: If Boychuck lines up Ryan Kesler and gets him in the chest with a hit and keslers head comes through and smokes the cap on his shoulder pad via momentum, is that a "headshot" because that's EXACTLY what happened here. It's not like Rome got all head, he didn't...and that's a fact- saying otherwise is a sheer outright lie.

If Horton is taking care of himself and protecting himself out there he's not being carted off the ice on a stretcher. Rome is just doing his job. Does Rome have a habit of this sort of stuff? It's pretty easy for the fan to sit in his easy boy drinking his pint watching the game to say otherwise.

The incident is not the HIT, it's the injury, and Murphy admitted as much in his presser, saying that he took into consideration what the Docs had to say about Horton's condition when making his call on the Suspension.

I'd say the exact same thing if this was Boychuck on Burrows, or Ference on Kesler. I know you don't believe me, but it's true. I know because I've been the hammer and the nail in my life... it's always great when you rock someone and nobody is hurt, it sucks when someone is hurt. I've been concussed from a lethal open ice hit playing for the Grandview Steelers playing against the Delta IceHawks. I was admiring my pass and got smoked, in the same area of play as the Rome hit. I've also hit someone in the neutral zone and separated his shoulder. and I felt horrible about his injury afterwards.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back on topic of the series: Thomas looks near unbeatable. The Nucks lacked the will to win and win any puck battles outside of the first period. Edler and Ehrhoff were bad, their unlcuky plays aside, looked scared of being hit and just not engaged.

I also thought the key Canucks got sucked into being too emotional with Thornton being in the game, you had Kesler running around, Burrows running around, Bieksa looking for a scrap in garbage time with Ference, it was just overall a bad game. Let's see if they can flush this quikcer than they did in the Hawks series.

In reality I have a tough time seeing this Nucks team losing 3 of 4. If they do AV needs to be fired. I'm serious. They've showed they can outclass the Bruins with their speed and skill but if the mental preparation and tactical stuff blows up in their face it will be hung on AV.

No Stanley Cup has been won in 2 games or lost in one game's poor performance in the modern era as far as I know. :)

On a side note: EA Sports is 3 for 3 so far in their prediction of the final ;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually if you read the rule...shoulder to the head isnt a "penalty or foul" in a north south hit....just sayin

They even discussed this in full this morning.

If Rome wasnt late this hit still would have ended the same and he would be playing tomorrow

Disagree..........seriously disagree. Full intent to injure. It easily could have been avoided. Well done to the NHL

:D

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fine Rome timed it wrong and he would have been out of position had he tried to pull out but he still hit him late. Look like I said new guy in charge and he set a standard, hopefully they follow it. I know it's the cup finals but hey they are saying enough is enough and if they continue dishing out suspensions like this, including star players, then I have no problems with it.

On another note here is my problem with the blindside rule it's not clear enough. Let's assume Tim Thomas is to the north. Well Horton is facing Northwest when he makes the pass and Rome is coming West to East and stops where Horton is heading towards after he turns up ice and takes a few strides. How does that classify North/South hit considering there was no puck and rome wasn't skating south/southeast? Also seems to me like it's a little from the blind side no considering our eys aren't on the side of our head and when that play develops Horton wasn't facing north. Anyways I think a lot of the injuries nowadays from hits like these come from the equipment (plastic) and the speed of players considering no more 2 line offside. But that's another story for another day.

Again yes it sucks but hopefully they maintain this standard. And no I haven't played hockey competitively but that doesn't mean I don't understand the game or the fact that I'm not gonna be a homer or a hypocrite because it happens to a player on the team I cheer for. As far as I'm concerned he had time to pull out of let up even more.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
how about, who cares, what happened, happened, hortons hurt, hope he gets better, rome is suspended, nothing we can do,its done with. Onto Game 4

runonsentancesforlife.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0