Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Trade Deadline 2008

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys are idiots who blame Nonis for not doing anything. What the fcuk is he supposed to do other than give up Webster and Linden for Jokinen?

Hossa will still be there and available in the summer.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys are idiots who blame Nonis for not doing anything. What the fcuk is he supposed to do other than give up Webster and Linden for Jokinen?

who is webster?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

I'm just pissed we didn't do enough to compete in our conference. If we get Colorado, we have to face Stastny, Hejduk, Sakic, Forseberg, etc. We dont' have enough Kesler's on our team to shut them down or enough to outscore them. Luckily only Dallas and Colorado made big moves so maybe we can get lucky.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hossa to Pens...huge deal!!!!!

Hossa, Malkin and Crosby!
Excellent.......

My tickets for March 31 are looking even better now!

Section 121
Row D
Seats 1-2
New York Rangers v Pittsburgh Penguins
Madison Square Garden
Mon 03/31/08 7:00 PM

(Dude... sandwich review from Katz deli to be forthcoming)

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we and colorado make the playoffs we won't be facing off in the first round.

Forsberg will not be player he was in the past.

The AVs have 4 points to make up to get into a playoff spot as well.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we and colorado make the playoffs we won't be facing off in the first round.

Forsberg will not be player he was in the past.

The AVs have 4 points to make up to get into a playoff spot as well.

I don't think they'll have a problem getting back in with all of their players back now. We could end up facing each other, 3rd and 6th?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just heard on the Team 1040, Nonis is still in talks with Florida manager about a possible trade, NHL apparently allowing it as it was in progress before the deadline had passed (or something like that). Players missing practice today - Ritchie, Cooke, Bourdon (he's in Vancouver) and Schneider was not at practice either. Coincidence? There's still hope.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent.......

My tickets for March 31 are looking even better now!

Section 121
Row D
Seats 1-2
New York Rangers v Pittsburgh Penguins
Madison Square Garden
Mon 03/31/08 7:00 PM

(Dude... sandwich review from Katz deli to be forthcoming)

Tht'll be sometime after mine from Armando's Surf Side Sandwich Hut in Sagres, Portugal. ;)

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What else could Nonis do?

He said he made a pitch or enquired about Hosa, Jokinen, and even Richards.

Thank god he wasn't willing to sell the farm like some of these teams did?:rolleyes:

Why did Montreal give away their starting goalie for free........Come on!

Everyone of us Canuck fans wanted a deal to be done today. The deal had to make sence boys.

Time to make it happen with what we now have!

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
colorado may have picked up a few ageing stars, but they play calgary tonight, us tommorrow, and if they lose both, they sit 8 points out having played 2 more games. forsberg or not, thats a tough hole to climb out of.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Basically what Management has said is... we will be average for this year thus we need to not make a trade that actually means something. If we make it to the playoffs that is.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree it has to make sense, and obviously the asking price for Jokinen was too high.

Seriously...if it meant giving up Edler or Kesler, would you do it?

I say no. Kesler is exactly the type of ploayer we need for post season now, never mind what he adds long term. Let's not forget- he is a big center. He's just rough around the edges a bit still, but man...he's finding a nice little niche.

As for Edler, he's arguably been the best defender this year, and in consideration for MVP if not for the guy in goal. Come on...not sure I'd do Edler for Jokinen straight up. Florida would need to sweeten that pot.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Young defensman who plays w/ poise, has huge upside, and a cannon for a shot? Added to that the guy plays for cheap. There is a huge demand for that kind of player, and you can't just give them up.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with Dude, the reason Nonis didn't do anything is because they wanted those guys, a Kesler and Edler and I am glad Nonis didn't move them. I was hoping he could do something with Schneider and Bourdon (who I'd still like here) to get some scoring. Hopefully we can make a play for Perry or another RFA in the summer, the UFA's are going to be too expensive.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess what Franchise doesn't get is that in this "New NHL", having a high salary actually devalues a player. Granted, Jokinen's was certainly more manageable than BRs.

I'd like it is the 'Nucks can swing a deal, but not at the cost of giving up one of our best up-and-comers.

Imagine taking Edler out of the line-up right now? Even if Jokinen is in, he's not so dynamic that he can replace what Edler contributes w/ scorring and attack. Edler is starting to contribute in that department, too.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You want Jokinen?

Here's what it would have cost you:
To Florida:
- Kesler
- Edler
- Another Forward (Gabner? Raymond?)