Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Trade Deadline 2008

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the Canucks are talking to Tampa, it is probably about Prospal, he is much cheaper the Richards (1.9) and I believe he would be a better fit. Also the Canucks have to sign the twins after next year and they will definitely want more money.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Z, that is not enough...

Richards would command more than that.
I don't know what games people are watching...Richards is a dominant player, but has been playing with total plumbers all year.

Richards at 4-5 mil would command more than that....Richards at 7.8 mil.

Well, I dont think so. In todays hockey, the salary plays a HUGE role on what a player commands.

Think of the spending room TB would have with a trade like that.
Huet only makes 2 and change. You can then go out and sign, for example, Nazzy and Morrison for a combined 5-6 mil.

You now have second line scoring and a quality goalie.

I should be GM.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with what you are saying I just don't think Richards is the right guy. We need a dominant player, if Sundin was a few years younger a would feel a lot more comfortable trying to get that type of player to a 3 year contract. Even at Sundin's age he is a better option, he dominates when on the ice. A guy like lecavilier(sp) is worth 8 million, Luongo is worth 8 million not Brad Richards. I rather re-sign Naslund at 4 million, trade or give Morrison a pay cut and get another quality 4 or 5 million dollar player. I totally agree that in the right situation Richards is a guy you go for, Columbus is in the running and he would look pretty good next the Rick Nash.

And he's helped the Leafs to SFA in his tenure there, and the Leafs are asking more in return.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Richards at 4-5 mil would command more than that....Richards at 7.8 mil.

Well, I dont think so. In todays hockey, the salary plays a HUGE role on what a player commands.

Think of the spending room TB would have with a trade like that.
Huet only makes 2 and change. You can then go out and sign, for example, Nazzy and Morrison for a combined 5-6 mil.

You now have second line scoring and a quality goalie.

I should be GM.

I agree, Tampa's going to have a hard time finding a buyer with his stats and his price.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The fans are going to tune out and although the tix are bought, I am noticing some empty seats more and more than ever at the garage.

In this market, unless the team becomes god awful there will always be a full rink. The salary cap has helped the canucks make more money as they would have been willing to spend more if they could and their rebvenues were and are high enough to support more payroll.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army, there is a difference between a sold out rink and a full rink.

The proof is in the pudding in the TV numbers mate...there is a direct correlation in the type of product being served up cold on the ice and the declining tv numbers, and one would stand to reason that there would be a correlation between asses in seats and tv numbers.

I prefer, honestly speaking, to watch the games at home in my living room...But I do enjoy the 3 or 4 games a year I go to, just to remind me about the skill and speed they truly play with, the aspect that isn't carried by a TV feed, HD or not.

The Canucks are a faceless nameless bunch at the moment, robots if you will, save the Sedins and Lui.
This is evident in that there was no real droppoff when Mo left the team for surgery and the hole was plugged by Jaffray.

In AV's system a player can be pulled and a new one plugged in and there seems to be no real loss or gain (supporting cast I mean)

The fans either want to see break neck speed games or real skill, sure winning is nice, but I'm not sure that they should sacrifice skill and pace to get it(System wise I mean)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think if you can take BR off their hands w/ very little damage to the current or future, you do it.

Bourdon & Edler can not be part of that deal. Schneider? Yes...given it appears Luongo will be here a long, long time. Cooke? yes, given where Burrows has been able to raise his game to. Hell, even a 1st rounder.

Why a 1st rounder? Well, when you spend a 1st round pick on somebody, you hope they will develop into the player BR is now, and you hope to be in a dilemma where you have the internal debate: can we pay them market price? Besides, to draft a player of BR’s pedigree and potential, you typically need to be high on the list. The ‘Nucks are not, and will not be high enough to bag an impact player like that. Not often you get lucky like the ‘Nucks did on Bieksa and Edler. For the most part, you hope that your 1st rounders progress as the Sedins have, or even Bourdon…where over time, you see steady improvement, and continue to see gains over the years. You can’t argue that that hasn’t been the case w/ the Sedins or Bourdon.

~Schneider, Cook, and a 1st rounder for BR, with Bobby Lou’s “approval”.
~Let Naslund walk next year, and use the money wisely on the free agent market.

Long term, we need new leadership. We need the “C” on either Willie Mitchell or Kevin Bieksa’s chest. You can’t have Naslund in this town and he not wear the C. They need to cut the cord.

That is, unless the ‘Nucks somehow win the Cup this year, and Naslund becomes the 1st ever European to captain a Stanley Cup champ. If that happens, I’ll shake my junk on You Tube, and post it on TTP.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Team 1040 reports Sundin waived his no trade, and Vancouver is on the short list.

Let the games begin.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is a differenc ebetween a full and sold out rink. The Canucks do not need a sold out rink to make money.

AV's system may have alot to do with the talent that Nonis has provided him with. He would be more willing to open it up and play less defensive if he had guys upfront who could actually score a bit more. The real question is how do they change the makeup of the team to get better "skilled" forwards. The salary cap puts them in a fairly large hole in this regard as they have a bunch of money tied up in their d and ther tender. To get more offensively minded players it is going to cost money. Getting rid of their cheaper (younger) players to get that talent is still going to leave them with big holes as they will not have the money to fill a roster with talent. They have the makings of a first line adn a checking line right now with Shannon and Raymond looking like they could fill second line void but they are not sure things either at this point.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1)Schneider, Cook, and a 1st rounder for BR, with Bobby Lou’s “approval”.
2)Let Naslund walk next year, and use the money wisely on the free agent market.

1) Basically, you are giving up your trash for Brad Richards. If John B N felt Huet and 1st Rounder was laughable for BR.....I can only imagine the reason he hasnt responded to this is because he is rolling on the floor still in laughter.

2) Letting Nazzy walk and spending elsewhere....easier said then done.
What players are UFA next year? Is there a list somewhere?
I think re-signing Nazzy is the way to go with a reduced salary.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Naslund may be the UFA with the most goals by the end of the season.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1) Basically, you are giving up your trash for Brad Richards. If John B N felt Huet and 1st Rounder was laughable for BR.....I can only imagine the reason he hasnt responded to this is because he is rolling on the floor still in laughter.

I think TB will take trash right now. They are not a profitable team, and simply can't afford him. They may be in a position of taking a 1st rounder plus anything to show face.

That being said, there is always a GM out there willing to sell the farm. Likely the 'Nucks are out of the running already.

When I say "spend wisely", that includes resigning the sisters.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few things...first, Bob mckenzie of tsn basically called it a done deal on team 1040 on thursday that it's brad richards for luc bourdon and cory schnider. that deal makes sense for both teams. Richards is a proven forward, and tampa needs a goaltender , proven or not, yesterday. second, richards would not be a rental, he is under contract for 7.8 cap hit for the next 3 years. Personly, kraj,cookie,cowan,weaver are all trade bait. Edler takes luckas's spot next year. also, sundin apparently waived his no-trade clause, so did mccabe. but who in there right mind will want mccabe when he makes 6.8 for the next 2 year. tuesday will be fun, but i'm willing to bet the blockbuster doesn't happen. anybody hearing anything else of interest?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few things...first, Bob mckenzie of tsn basically called it a done deal on team 1040 on thursday that it's brad richards for luc bourdon and cory schnider. that deal makes sense for both teams. Richards is a proven forward, and tampa needs a goaltender , proven or not, yesterday. second, richards would not be a rental, he is under contract for 7.8 cap hit for the next 3 years. Personly, kraj,cookie,cowan,weaver are all trade bait. Edler takes luckas's spot next year. also, sundin apparently waived his no-trade clause, so did mccabe. but who in there right mind will want mccabe when he makes 6.8 for the next 2 year. tuesday will be fun, but i'm willing to bet the blockbuster doesn't happen. anybody hearing anything else of interest?

I hope that's not a done deal. I mean I would love to have Richards but really don't want to get rid of Bourdon. But if it means bringing a Stanley Cup winner and MVP then I'm all for it. The cap hit sucks but with Nazzy's and Mo's salary either gone or reduced next year it's not that bad. Plus it shows the players that management wants a cup. Can't wait to see how that unfodls.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope that's not a done deal. I mean I would love to have Richards but really don't want to get rid of Bourdon. But if it means bringing a Stanley Cup winner and MVP then I'm all for it. The cap hit sucks but with Nazzy's and Mo's salary either gone or reduced next year it's not that bad. Plus it shows the players that management wants a cup. Can't wait to see how that unfodls.

If this is our best option at a cup we have to go for it. I don't think we really have time to wait around for Bourdon to develop, unless we know for sure luongo is signing an extension. Here is to hoping if we sign him he is the 90+ point getting MVP he has shown in the past.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Give your head a shake bulljive. ;)

I was waiting for that Dude... I'm just saying if Richards is are best option lets go for it and hope he brings the game he is capable of. I don't think he is the right fit but you never know until it happens. It should give us 2 very very good lines.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0