Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New looking Canucks 2013/2014

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed, Alberts at 600k is a good 7th/8th dman insurance policy if someone gets hurt, he's physically unable to play in the top 4 when injuries occur, however Corrado and Tanev are... Tanev at 1.5M for one year is a steal of a deal for club and player. This moves Taven that much closer to UFA status and the team can get through this one year of shrunken salary cap with Tanev not in Europe and the Sedin's making less next year let's Tanev get a significant raise and perhaps a UFA or 2...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs I agree Alberts is good addition even at 32. I think he will be part of third rotation. Who is next. Do you think Raymond will take pay cut and stay in town? Or will he scute to Europe.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
As of today this is approximately the depth chart

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Higgins Richardson/Schroeder Hansen
Sestito Santorelli Weise
Ferriero Lain Jensen

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Tanev Corrado
Weber Alberts

Luongo
Lack
Eriksson

This is of course ignoring the slim to none potential of Gaunce, Shinkaruk or Horvat making this team. One of two of them might come out of camp with the club but I can not see any of the 3 lasting past 9 games prior to being returned to their Junior Clubs... exception might be Gaunce, only because most experts project him to be a third line Centre at the most anyways... playing Shinkaruk or Horvat outside of the top 6 at the NHL level makes about as much sense as most Mr. Base' TTP posts.

With the lines as indicated above the Canucks look to have approximately 2-2.5M in cap space, I'm not advocating GMMG to sign Raymond for that cash, but certainly some players that could sign in that wheelhouse exist unsigned at present, including (but limited to)
Brendan Morrow
Tim Connolly
Simon Gagne
Danny Cleary
Vinny Prospal
Guillaume Latendresse
Peter Mueller (I'd like this project tbh, Torts could have a huge impact on this guy!)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Twitter is hot with a Luongo interview tomorrow with James Duthie of TSN. Apparently he inquired to the NHLPA about voiding his contract.

Dirtylaundry

Tactically Inept

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN
comments on your lines....1st line - that's a lock, although maybe Torts gives Kassian a chance every now and then. Solid again and 200+ points from that line as usual.
2nd line - the wing position is the big opening I see for a few of the younger guys. Hopefully Kassian is good and Booth comes back with something to prove, but nonetheless, there's still no big creativity on that line. That's where someone like Jensen, Schroeder or as a longer shot Horvat could add something if Kas or Booth suck arse.
3rd line - Higgins and Hansen will do their normal stallwart work, and let's hope Richardson backs up the hopes he's more than LA thought he was. Is Gaunce ready for 3rd line centre in NHL? I guess we won't know unless he gets a chance, but Torts likes giving the young guys a go, so maybe we'll see.
4th line - really don't know. I do like the fact that many guys are trying to get play time in the bottom 3, so the effort should be there, but I don't really have any sense how successful they are going to be. I see many combinations in the first 20 games.
Like the depth though and hopefully the secondary scoring gets a lift this year.

Defence - nothing to say. Like the whole mix. Could possibly do with more sandpaper, but I think that's overrated.

Goal - I expect nothing less than consistently good and possibly great. I actually thought for the most part he looked sharper last year than any other time - I think he thrives on having something to prove. Lack I don't know, but was consistently good in the AHL and Eriksson proved very good in Swedish elite league, so not bad back-ups.

I'd wait to see if anyone else gets put on waivers, rather than signing anyone now.

Tactically Inept

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, normally I would say (with the helf-decent exception that Regs pointed out) you are correct, but in a Cap unfriendly year when all teams are making compromises, who knows what can happen.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs again I agree with your call for Vopatti. They shoud have never got rid of him. He has more grit the most of them on the team.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny trouth is, he is worse than the guy he sent packing. Oraskovic in some way was better than Dale. Really all the guys on forth line a the sane. Vopatti stands up to big guys from other teams. Torts need more of his kind to coach like a pitbull.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
While Volpatti was fun to watch you cannot tell with a straight face he was going to impact playoff games and be a deciding factor in either Capitals or Nucks games... Same would be siad for most 4th liners in this league. They chew up 5-7 minutes a game, the true value in the GEM 4th liners is if you can find one that is able to do some specialty stuff, like a 4th Centre who can take DZone faceoffs and kill penalties (Like a Malhotra) or a guy that is a nuclear deterrant fight wise but can play a normal shift (Not Sestito but perhaps a Parros)

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sestito is better player than he is given credit. You will see him do much more with Torts in comend. I am not worried about forwards at all. If Canucks do not make playoffs, it will be only due to D, they are way to small to do it again in the group we are in. To me Luongo truly wants out. When he talks I can sece it in his voice. He will do the job but he wants out. Number one or not. I am also sure Lack will step it up and he might become as nuber one by Christmas. There is now way I would put money on them making playoffs.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of the Nucks top 4 dmen, Bieksa is the smallest at 6'1 and 200lbs, that's not small, especially the way he plays.
You're on crack if you think the Nucks issues are about D, and the size of the D, they as a unit couldn't score in a brothel. That's their issue if you ask me.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby man. You just watch, put you money on Edmonton. In playoffs this year. My gut filling Canucks will not cut it this year. Luongo or not. Albers 5 points. Rest maybe 90 points biteen all ogf between all of them on D. Bieksa is half of a player since his injury. With Torts he will shot off after twenty games. They will clash. Maybe young Suave might be the guy that saves us. Gillis is adding fourth line players on D and on the front line. There is no way. They must spend money to get top guys. Maybe if Toronto wants Bieksa we could swing their tough guy on the D one for one. Those two make same money. Luongo will be nocked down many times this year as they know no one on D is capable to fight with tough guys. Sestito alone is not enough. If they could add Vopatti he likes to scrap. Sestito only fight guys he knows he will beat.

Last edited:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0