Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mauricio's antics

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My point was, it had zero to do with the Masters game that this fellow seemed to make an issue of Regs. I will have to stand by original post though.

Also, IMO, officials tend to me less malleable than players, by nature of their respective roles and all.

See you on Thursday, and I will introduce you to your new partner at that time. And it will be good, trust me.

SM.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My bad SirM, I should have quoted your first post as that is what I was replying to during the time the next 2 posts showed up.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, I do not disagree with your position but I disagree with with the latter one brought up by sacko, because that is not what I was talking about, and it does not matter. Not a big deal though.

Cheers.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He rose to his current status precisely because of his style of reffing. He displayed the skills they are looking for and he was rewarded by the powers that be.

If you have a problem with the way he does things you have a problem with the system in general. We all know how to change that don't we? Just keep whining, works every time.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
My spin: Mauricio has to referee internationals, especially in CONCACAF. As such, he has to establish control immediately, especially when Latin American countries are involved, or he will lose respect and control in an oftentimes hostile environment. So, he adopts an "I am in charge style" immediately. And, as a referee working in his realm, he is not going to change his style for a local over 30s game, nor should he. He saw the tackling that was going on in some of these games, and applied that laws of the game before things got out of hand. Good officiating in my view.

I do not know the guy except for the occasional handshake before or after a game, but my guess is he really does not need, or have any desire to, make a name for himself officiating local amateur games, so I disagree with any such assertion.

IMO, any over 30s league is fortunate to be officiated by someone of that pedigree. Yes, I did not like the choppy way that his application of the rules affected the WV/SFC game, but I understand it relative to the frequency of fouls being committed by the ultimately winning side. Further, we have some other officials of similar background, of which we should be thankful that they come to the park to officiate us for peanuts. I will not mention them by name, at the risk of being seen as kissing up, but several are TTPers, and a few or not, but still are quality. I have my two personal exceptions, and certainly neither are or will be FIFA level officials, or are on this site as far as I am aware.

Sir M.
Well put.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It sounds like the Big M alright. In your face needlessly.

I don't think a ref needs to be in anyone's face let alone the 4th official in a pro level game. If this occurred in the tunnel without this guy telling him to ##$#$# then Mauricio is over the line!

To get control of a game/players does not mean refs have to do what Mauricio does at times and become bigger than the game itself.

I agree there will be games that refs will have to dish out cards in but they should act professionally even if the players/coaches don't. If the Big M just did this once, I am sure most would cut him some slack and think, yeah, that guy must have done some bad stuff to merit Mauricio getting pissed!! However, if it quacks like a duck....

I don't know what others thought of Rob Brown in his heyday as a ref but to me he was the kind of ref who took no guff and pleasantly built rapport with both teams and had good control over his games. If he blew a call he'd admit it

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know what others thought of Rob Brown in his heyday as a ref but to me he was the kind of ref who took no guff and pleasantly built rapport with both teams and had good control over his games. If he blew a call he'd admit it

Agreed.

There have been, and are some very good refs out there, but the Yorkshireman was probably the best the VMSL has seen, IMHO. There is one who is following in his footsteps though, even if he supports a crap team in a crap league ;)

Fergie says "make mine a double"

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I liked about Bobby Brown in his youth was that he would consistently communicate through the game, warning you to go in clean on hard challenges... he knew what was going on out there, and you knew to stick to playing soccer. A lot of refs are simply guessing on fouls (some don't even bother), they are not sure what really happened. I know Sir M has a problem with one particular ref, but I find him one guy who actually knows what is going on... he just likes to give a certain player cards.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that Mauricio's antics are needed in an environment like Latin America and yes, somewhat, that he can't or won't change his 'game' for the likes of local matches here.

I do disagree with MBE and Knucklehead implying, whether politely (MBE) or impolitely (Knucklehead) that my team are a bunch of hacks.
If it's not our kick and run, or our whining, it's now our level of fouling that people don't like.

The best refs have always been and will always be the guys who will chat to you and respect you on the pitch with a bit of the 'tough love'.
Bobby Brown, Bob Sawtell, Kevin Uppal, Martin Reid, Mike Hill, to name a few in the Valley, have more than once carded me and tore a strip off me, and vice versa, but I'd like to think there was always a good amount of respect both ways and room for my opinion to be heard, of course at an appropriate time during the game.
This is what you see in the top leagues in Europe - Respect both ways between offical, manager, and player.

I think this was the point of the post that created the thread.

My two bits,
RF

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is what you see in the top leagues in Europe - Respect both ways between offical, manager, and player.
RF

Wow...drawing a parallel from the FVSL Masters Division to "the top league's in Europe"...
Only on TTP:rolleyes:

Oh, and clever manipulation of my TTP handle;... "Knucklehead"...How witty...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF, are you Mauricio's gay lover? :rolleyes:

Here's another parallel: we play with 11 men per team, just like the top league's in Europe.

What's your fcuking point? That players here can't judge/observe the type of referee that is ideal? Have you ever played the game?

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have you ever played the game?

Yes he's played, just never very well.

Re: referees who steal the show... This manner of managing a game is absolutely inexcusable. These refs deserve all the flack that they get for such arrogant and self-centered behaviour. If you put yourself on a pedestal then you should at some point expect to get knocked off.

At times, I get the impression that certain ticket carriers feel that they've read some secretive version of the laws of the game. Hate to burst your bubble mate, it's available to the masses and all because you can recite the intricate role of the 4th official doesn't make you the authority on football.

That's what we're talking about right?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
**** the world...........it's all about angles and SOMEWHAT understanding the game......

Can you see a Happy Hun? Nooooooooooooooooooooo Noooooooooooooooooooooo

****ing brilliant

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...all of them - just wait until he puts it in his signature.:D

I think (actually I hope) that the one thing we can all agree on is that the best ref you can have is the one you didn't notice at all during the game, because things were kept flowing, fouls were called when they were fouls, decisions were made clearly and honestly, and the only time you talked back was when you asked: "two twenties and a ten okay, Mr. Collina?":D

canucklehead: Lighten up, man. I've got dibs on the Cranky Old Fart job here. As a ref, you have to adjust your approach to a game for the conditions presented to you: when you're on turf, you know the ball will move faster, so you have to as well ("angles" said the guy with the Guatemalan ticket). When you're in a mud bowl with a bunch of plonkers, you adjust as well: a player going down in the mud wouldn't necessarily do so on turf. You can't look at a rec game without assistants the same way as a full international in front of 30,000 bloodthirsty latino fans and a full set of TV cameras second-guessing your every move; you have to relax and take the stick out. Your first priority is to protect the players from each other (and themselves) and the field conditions they are dealing with.

RF: your team are a bunch of hacks.:D

Trece

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
NAVARRO TO OFFICIATE ARGENTINA VS MEXICO > British Columbia Soccer Association > Current News

...seems someone still thinks well of him even if FV Masters :rolleyes:don't...I'm sure that he's losing sleep over it... Oh, I guess he only got this game because he speaks fluent Spanish, as was pointed out earlier.

From the CSA...
Jamaica vs Bahamas2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification - CONCACAF Preliminary Competition
15 June 2008 | 15 juin 2008
Referee / Arbitre : Mauricio Navarro
Assistant Referee / Arbitre Assistant: Hector Vergara
Assistant Referee / Arbitre Assistant : Joe Fletcher
Fourth Official / Quatrième Arbitre : Steve Depiero

...But I thought he only got games where his excellent command of the Spanish language was needed? Oh, never mind...

At the end of the day, he's involved with this game at the very highest level, which 99.999% out there never have (unless you count the FV Master's league. They are parallel with the top leagues in Europe) and thus there are haters.
Point made.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All we can hope is that he does the proper ConCaCaf thing and screw any team that Canada could play in the later rounds.

I think Canada will be in the same group of Jamaica if they get by the first home and home games. Any way for some red cards for looking at the ref that wrong way, or even for not having your shirt tucked in, I am sure that the Jamaicans will be in tip top shape, Red for the Dreads.

hos

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NAVARRO TO OFFICIATE ARGENTINA VS MEXICO > British Columbia Soccer Association > Current News

...seems someone still thinks well of him even if FV Masters :rolleyes:don't...I'm sure that he's losing sleep over it... Oh, I guess he only got this game because he speaks fluent Spanish, as was pointed out earlier.

From the CSA...
Jamaica vs Bahamas2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification - CONCACAF Preliminary Competition
15 June 2008 | 15 juin 2008
Referee / Arbitre : Mauricio Navarro
Assistant Referee / Arbitre Assistant: Hector Vergara
Assistant Referee / Arbitre Assistant : Joe Fletcher
Fourth Official / Quatrième Arbitre : Steve Depiero

...But I thought he only got games where his excellent command of the Spanish language was needed? Oh, never mind...

At the end of the day, he's involved with this game at the very highest level, which 99.999% out there never have (unless you count the FV Master's league. They are parallel with the top leagues in Europe) and thus there are haters.
Point made.

Good post, Mauricio.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll repeat:
WTF, are you Mauricio's gay lover? :rolleyes:

Here's another parallel: we play with 11 men per team, just like the top league's in Europe.

What's your fcuking point? That players here can't judge/observe the type of referee that is ideal? Have you ever played the game?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0