Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mauricio's antics

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just came across this article... sounds like he's still up to his old tricks...
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Soccer - MLS Toronto FC: Passion play for TFC coach

Carver also got into a running verbal confrontation with fourth official Mauricio Navarro, and blamed the DVD.

"Because of the DVD, the fourth official was quite aggressive towards me and I did nothing today to merit that," he said. "He disrespected me. He pointed his finger in my face. If I did that to him, I'm in trouble, and rightly so.

"We're walking down the tunnel at halftime, having a sensible conversation. Then, all of a sudden, the referee appeared and (Navarro) started becoming aggressive and pointing at my face like: 'Yeah, I'll show him who is boss.'. "

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just came across this article... sounds like he's still up to his old tricks...
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Soccer - MLS Toronto FC: Passion play for TFC coach

Sounds like Mauricio was just doing his job as a 4th and that the MLS wants to control the antics of over dramatic managers. Like it or not, the 4th official has a job to do, and it happens to be to control the benches and technical area.
Lots of haters out there when it comes to Mauricio but he is one of the top officials in the CONCACAF region. Juts look at the assignments he gets.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is a reason there are so many "haters". And if a referee that is so disrespectful to players and others when not necessary is a top official, that is a sad state of affairs.

He gets in the way of a game, NEVER will you come away from one of his games wondering if there was a ref for it.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sometimes refs dig themselves into holes and sometimes they are very difficult to get out of........I will say that he did a GREAT job in the middle of the B.C. High School Boys Championship between South Delta and Port Moody. That's the last game I've seen him do.......

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Respectfully Captain, i am glad he was good for you.

We had him in the first round against West Van...........

We had 7 yellows pal. Yes 7

They also had 4 or 5.

There is a reason it is called "The Mauricio Show"

It is always about him and not the players or the game.

Once again, Respectfully.;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

They also had 4 or 5.

Not disagreeing at all, Coach. :) I just mentioned that he did a great job in our final. I didn't mention about any other performances in previous years..........:D

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

They also had 4 or 5.

So, who's fault was it when there were 10-11 cards handed out between you and Sapperton in the 1/4 final? I was at this game and it was a referee who was from out of province. Or was it Mauricio's fault when you were given a straight red and 3 more yellows versus UVIC in the Final (2 of which #13 collected. Wow...he contributed a lot in his 12 mins:rolleyes:Enter the game, run around a bit...whack a guy in the middle of the park, pick up yellow....run around a bit more...whack 'keeper 5 mins later, pick up his second card, leave game. This game was deffinetly about #13. Brilliant! A classic to share with the kids one day).It must have been, since he was around to do the Men's Open. He has that sort of influence
... It seems like you're one who likes to heap blame on the referees and not take the responsability that maybe, just maybe you play like thugs...
Respectfully...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all I want to preface this post with the statement that I know there are referees who read these threads. Gentlemen, we are not slagging your character if we pisstake your officiating in a game. Please learn to separate the two.

I've seen Mauricio do a great job in the middle before, but I've also seen him put on the Ponce act. To be fair, as with all refs, we forget about the former, and have a tendency to focus on the latter. However, a ref who niggles about how high your socks are pulled up and where a sub comes onto the pitch from in a local amateur game with nothing on the line except some weekend exercise has crossed the line between "bringing professionalism to the sport" and "imposing yourself on a game." This is not just my opinion, either.

Does this mean that we need to apply all the auld rules about decorum in all the games we play in? Maybe so, if it puts the minds of our match officials at ease enough to concentrate on issues that might have more impact on a game. However if that is to be the case, then all match officials would need to be consistent in their application of the rules.

Personally, I would much rather see the Mauricio who is one of the most capable referees in this country at an international level than the Mauricio who gave me a yellow card for asking if a foul against my team was direct or indirect.

Canucklehead:

Not everybody on here plays like thugs. The team I run hasn't received a red card in the last two years - I don't sign players who are that stupid, and they've all learned that yellow cards accumulated for too much yapping cost a lot of beer. I've never believed in berating refs during a game; the only time I do it now is over a beer. I've had a refereeing ticket (even a non-Guatemalan one!) for longer than a lot of TTPers have been alive, and I help train young refs (Daemonspawn #1, with other kids from our club is now working on his own level 4 ticket).

FYI, to get CONCACAF level games as a match official, it really helps to be bilingual in English and Spanish, si puede entendar cuando los jugadores estan usando palabras malas, o si necesite a explicar algo a ellos.

Trece

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, who's fault was it when there were 10-11 cards handed out between you and Sapperton in the 1/4 final? I was at this game and it was a referee who was from out of province. Or was it Mauricio's fault when you were given a straight red and 3 more yellows versus UVIC in the Final ...

The ref for the 1/4 vs. Sap has the same style as Mauricio, "Don't you know who I am, I am a FIFA ref, so pull up your socks and tuck in your shirt".

We had a young lady ref in the semi over on the island, she was the best ref we had the whole way through the BC's, followed by the ref in the final, he could have given far more cards in the hard fought game in the wack.

Mauricio may be a good ref, but he also get too involved in the game, instead of just calling the game.

I know that Rene reads this stuff, and he used to have the same criticisms of him that Mauricio is getting. Rene no longers refs at the FIFA level, but still does the local senior games, he is great, he does the job and moves on.

Rene, any comments.
Hi

hos

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Canucklehead i am not blaming the refs for any of our cards???

What i am saying about This Ref and the way he handles himself is shocking.

He makes it all about him and he makes sure everyone knows that "He is the Man"

Why do you think so many people call it "The Mauricio Show"

The man makes sure that he is bigger than the game and bigger than the players playing the game.

I have never heard of anyone referring to us as Thugs.

Yes a player took two stupid yellows in the final.......Very Stupid!

Alot of people including me thinks the way that Mauricio handles himself and the way he talks to players is a joke.

You can ref the game and still be able to have a chat with a player and explain what you think he is doing wrong.

Some of the best refs we have are refs who will come on up beside you and tell you that you are close to getting a card.

This man is all about him...........Plain and simple.

chooch

Apr 2, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard a great quote from Dave "Tiger" Williams a number of years ago. It referred to a

certain "type" of referee and is as true today as it ever was. He was talking about a

particular hockey ref but really the sport is irrelevent. Tiger said " What really bugs

me is some referees think they are the show. They aren't the show. They are just there

to make sure the curtain goes up and down"!
I would venture to say there are a

number of referees who would benefit, as would we all, if they remembered this quote.

chooch

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My spin: Mauricio has to referee internationals, especially in CONCACAF. As such, he has to establish control immediately, especially when Latin American countries are involved, or he will lose respect and control in an oftentimes hostile environment. So, he adopts an "I am in charge style" immediately. And, as a referee working in his realm, he is not going to change his style for a local over 30s game, nor should he. He saw the tackling that was going on in some of these games, and applied that laws of the game before things got out of hand. Good officiating in my view.

I do not know the guy except for the occasional handshake before or after a game, but my guess is he really does not need, or have any desire to, make a name for himself officiating local amateur games, so I disagree with any such assertion.

IMO, any over 30s league is fortunate to be officiated by someone of that pedigree. Yes, I did not like the choppy way that his application of the rules affected the WV/SFC game, but I understand it relative to the frequency of fouls being committed by the ultimately winning side. Further, we have some other officials of similar background, of which we should be thankful that they come to the park to officiate us for peanuts. I will not mention them by name, at the risk of being seen as kissing up, but several are TTPers, and a few or not, but still are quality. I have my two personal exceptions, and certainly neither are or will be FIFA level officials, or are on this site as far as I am aware.

Sir M.

sacko

Dec 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did not like the choppy way that his application of the rules affected the WV/SFC game, but I understand it relative to the frequency of fouls being committed by the ultimately winning side.

It is funny that the sour grapes are now coming out. Give your head a shake, both teams were equally compliant in the foul department. Just an unbiased observer of the said game and couldn't let this bullshit slide.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That would be a fair point SirM but this referee in question was the same way before getting anywhere on the international stage.

Just as us players need to adjust to different conditions, so should a good referee. No?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0