Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup Imperial Cup 2011....

Grimm

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
2-1 ICST Peg over MF

Beautiful day for a game. We started off slow but came back with 2 for the win. Fully deserved win for Peg IMO. Great team effort and looking forward to the final vs. Surrey. We owe them one from a couple years back having lost in the final at Town Centre. We'll be ready.

2-0 SFF over Hurricanes in overtime. Heard 2 cockups on their flanks cost them yet AGAIN.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to the vmsl web site, the Imperial Cup final and Masters cup final will be Sunday at CLOVERDALE. How can this be? There is something fishy going on...again.

:cool:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear if Surrey United wins, Marty will run naked through the streets of Cloverdale.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shocking!:cool:

Indeed it is shocking the final will be played at Cloverdale. Here is the sequence of events leading to this decision:

1). I speak to Mr. Azzi Monday morning about suspensions, rosters etc. and he tells me that the final will most likely be at Kinsemen because Ruben is having a tough time getting Empire. Nothing is official but we will know for sure today.

2). Less than 2 hours later, the final suddenly appears on the vmsl web site as "Cloverdale"

WTF just happened?

Well, we can only surmise through the evidence in front of us that Ruben spoke to Surrey United, most likely Martin Foden, a league executive and in training to dance naked thru the streets of Cloverdale. Ruben would have had to speak to Martin in order to determine if Cloverdale was available on Sunday. Did he speak to our team about Newton or about anything to do with the field for the final before he arbitrarily made a decision? No, he did not. Is that fair? No it is not. It is completely unfair and quite deceptive.

Yes, we followed up with the league after we became aware of the situation and their response was that "the vmsl thought it would be better to have 2 valley teams playing in Surrey" Well, that's all fine in good but, in reality, it was the league AND Surrey United who made the decision where the final will be played. By some strange coincidence, Surrey United also happens to be in the final.

Once again, the field is not a major issue but the way the league dealt with this is piss poor. As Thomo himself would say, "they haven't a clue, Reedie...not a fcukin clue"

Here's hoping for a great final.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As unfair as it may be Reedie. If Empire is not available I would lean towards the final being at Cloverdale because SU finished in first, had you guys finished in front of them I would lean your way. You guys had the opening weekend at Newton as well. It's a close venue for both teams in the final.

And yes I live closer to Cloverdale as well :)! See you there and good luck to both.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why doesn't the VMSL book Swangard anymore? (I remember watching a Sporting vs. SU final there -- but maybe that was provincials?)

I've seen summer leagues use it for their finals! Is it not one of the best natural pitches in the lower mainland?

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As unfair as it may be Reedie. If Empire is not available I would lean towards the final being at Cloverdale because SU finished in first, had you guys finished in front of them I would lean your way. You guys had the opening weekend at Newton as well. It's a close venue for both teams in the final.

And yes I live closer to Cloverdale as well :)! See you there and good luck to both.

To be honest, I didn't really like Empire as the field. It would be a little different if it was sold out but the atmosphere at Empire with 2 or 3 hundred people there is pretty lame. Kinesmen would be magic.

My point is not that Cloverdale is a bad option. My point is how it transpired at the league. We were not even consulted about anything. The league spoke to Surrey United and they made their decision together. I think it is irrelevant where the teams finished in the league because traditionally the final has always been at a neutral site.

As for us hosting the start of the season at Newton, every team was approached about the possibility of doing this for the league, in order to help accomodate an early start to the season with more games. In the case of the Imperial Cup final field situation, no one was consulted except for Surrey United.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well enough about the pitch for now...how about another interesting decision.....who will be refereeing the final? If I see BM pulling into the parking lot, we may as well pack up the gear and head to the Clova Inn for a pint.

Whistle Blower? No, I think he may have other duties that day with fvsl.

Walks? No, because that would be the correct decision

Captain Crappypants? No, he has been suspended by the league for a point shaving incident in Div 3

My prediction? Rene Parra

Whatever the case, I'm sure Surrey United and the league will discuss it first and come to a decision together.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0